Mariota or Winston?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
What will Lovie do with #1 Pick?

Jameis Winston
50%
Marcus Mariota
22%
No preference as long as it's MM or JW
13%
Defensive Line
2%
Offensive Line
2%
Other
1%
Trade Down
10%

Total votes : 124

Mariota or Winston?

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am

The thread that never dies....

....I guarantee Lovie drafts Winston. No chance for Mariota.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PrimeMinister

Re: Mariota or Winston?

Postby UMiamiBucFan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 am

What's up with all of these guarantees? None of us have anywhere close to enough information to make the decision between these two.
UMiamiBucFan

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 am

I like Mariota so far, but I like Winston too.

Was there no option to make a poll? I wanted to vote!!
A Man's Part

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 am

A Man's Part wrote:I like Mariota so far, but I like Winston too.

Was there no option to make a poll? I wanted to vote!!

You're correct. It's blasphemy to neglect voting options.
PrimeMinister

Postby UMiamiBucFan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:13 am

Can you add an option for "Either QB"?
UMiamiBucFan

Postby Commander Bubbles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 am

I thought this was interesting:

“All I will say is Josh [McCown] has played some good football in his career and when Tampa drafted Mike [Glennon], I’ve watched Mike from afar — from the other side of the ball here in Atlanta – and from afar, I thought he had some of the same attributes as Matt Ryan,” Koetter said. “But that’s me looking at it from the outside, and until I get on the inside and get a chance to look at the tape and spend some time with those guys, I can’t give you much more than that.”

If Koetter feels that he can work with Glennon (who I think can be a solid starter), then it may open up some options for the upcoming draft. I wouldn't mind seeing us trading back a little and picking up a player like OT Scherff or DE Gregory.

I'm not sold on Winston or Mariota at #1.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Winston, not close. And I've been pounding the table for 'Neither' for a while. Watching his tape did it for me.
Ken Carson

Postby CanadianBuc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Any word on if MM has declared or which way he's leaning. I know it would be a shock if he doesn't declare. I tomorrow is the deadline but at what time noon?
CanadianBuc

Postby eckrueger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 pm

I know one game shouldn't change anything, but the title game was highly disppointing for Mariota. Don't care for Winston, almost entirely because of his stupidity. Unfortunately, I think we are basically forced to pick one or the other. I'm leaning Mariota.
eckrueger

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:33 pm

CanadianBuc wrote:Any word on if MM has declared or which way he's leaning. I know it would be a shock if he doesn't declare. I tomorrow is the deadline but at what time noon?

Just saw on ESPN that Mariota has officially declared for the draft.
deltbucs

Postby StillCSG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 pm

IF {Yeah it's that big of an if} Winston got the message after the suspension this year.....He will be compared to the greats when he is done
If not he will make Leaf and Jamarcus Russell look like Montana

Mariota's ceiling is STEVE Young....his floor is VINCE young if he even stays healthy
StillCSG

Postby CanadianBuc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:51 pm

deltbucs wrote:
CanadianBuc wrote:Any word on if MM has declared or which way he's leaning. I know it would be a shock if he doesn't declare. I tomorrow is the deadline but at what time noon?

Just saw on ESPN that Mariota has officially declared for the draft.

That's great news!! Thanks for the info. I am still on the Winston side but want our management team to have all options available and truly take their first choice.
CanadianBuc

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm

I was wrong about Mariota. I thought he would stay for his senior year.

Now, as a Mariota fan, I hope and pray he doesn't end up with the Jets. Even though we won't take him, as a Mariota and Oregon fan, I still want to see him do well at the next level. If he ends up in NY, I doubt that will happen.
pewterpirates

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Mariota should still be our guy. He will dominate the combine and interviews and regain his position as the best talent in this draft.
real bucs fan

Postby CanadianBuc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Going to be a fun three months.
CanadianBuc

Postby NYbucfan31 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:55 pm

I am a Mariota fan.. I think he is a great talent with a huge ceilings.. I think that we have seen all that Winston has to offer. My personal feelings are we take Mariota and he grows within the new system. Lastly... After watching interviews with Mariota I would be proud for my sons to wear a Mariota jersey... Winston is an admitted drug dealer and not the caliber of person I want my sons idolizing!!!
NYbucfan31

Postby CamCam » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:04 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but from the outside looking in you guys have never had a pure pocket passer.... At least not one I could think of.

I think Winston would do wonders for those tall WR's
CamCam

Postby StillCSG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm

NYbucfan31 wrote:I am a Mariota fan.. I think he is a great talent with a huge ceilings.. I think that we have seen all that Winston has to offer. My personal feelings are we take Mariota and he grows within the new system. Lastly... After watching interviews with Mariota I would be proud for my sons to wear a Mariota jersey... Winston is an admitted drug dealer and not the caliber of person I want my sons idolizing!!!

Wait....WHAT???

Edit: And if you're sons idolize an athlete...you fail as a parent
StillCSG

Postby Barry Mike Hawkiner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Questions:

1. Will one of these quarterbacks be worth a number 1 overall pick?

2. Are they arguably a top 'talent' in the draft or is the position and need overvaluing them?

3. Many years ago, we had the Manning/Leaf and recently we had the Luck/RGIII debate. However, I don't remember the debate being so 50/50 like it seems between Mariota/Winston this year. Could it be because this QB draft class is so weak, that teams and fans are willing to pole-vault them to number 1/number 2?

4. Rank these prospects (not as pros... try to remember how you felt about them before they were drafted)
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
RGIII
Teddy Bridgewater
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Barry Mike Hawkiner

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Mountaineer Buc

Postby RobR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm

Barry Mike Hawkiner wrote:Questions:

1. Will one of these quarterbacks be worth a number 1 overall pick?

2. Are they arguably a top 'talent' in the draft or is the position and need overvaluing them?

3. Many years ago, we had the Manning/Leaf and recently we had the Luck/RGIII debate. However, I don't remember the debate being so 50/50 like it seems between Mariota/Winston this year. Could it be because this QB draft class is so weak, that teams and fans are willing to pole-vault them to number 1/number 2?

4. Rank these prospects (not as pros... try to remember how you felt about them before they were drafted)
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
RGIII
Teddy Bridgewater
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston

1. Yes, both.

2. They are, it's down to them, Randy Gregory and Leonard Williams for the number 1 talent.

3. I think it's because both prospects are much closer ranked. Manning and Luck were really exceptional talents and as close to a sure thing as possible. Leaf and RGIII were not. The Luck/RGIII thing was never really a debate, it was just built up through the media for something to talk about.

Mariota/Winston are by no means sure things but probably both better prospects than Leaf/RGIII.

1 - Luck
2 - Newton
3 - Winston
4 - Mariota
5 - RGIII
6 - Bradford
7 - Bridgewater
8 - Stafford
9 - Sanchez
Last edited by RobR on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobR

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

CamCam wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but from the outside looking in you guys have never had a pure pocket passer.... At least not one I could think of.

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 pm

It's no longer Winston or Mariota....It's Winston or Winston. This is his position to lose. Show up, interview, do well at the combine and/or pro day, he's our pick. There's no way anyone can OBJECTIVELY look at Marcus Mariota's tape and say he should go ahead of Jameis Winston in this draft. Let alone be the #1 overall pick.
Bootz2004

Postby NYbucfan31 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Listen to any of Winston's speeches after he won the heisman.. He "did what he had to do on the streets to take care of his family.." Winston has been brought up on sexual misconduct charges several times.. Is he the guy that the Bucs want as the face of their franchise? Standing on a table at FSU and yelling and cursing at female students... Not the caliber of player that we need here. If we want Winston then we might as well grab Ray Rice too...
NYbucfan31

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm

NYbucfan31 wrote:Listen to any of Winston's speeches after he won the heisman.. He "did what he had to do on the streets to take care of his family.." Winston has been brought up on sexual misconduct charges several times.. Is he the guy that the Bucs want as the face of their franchise? Standing on a table at FSU and yelling and cursing at female students... Not the caliber of player that we need here. If we want Winston then we might as well grab Ray Rice too...

Hey, now he can take care of his family with his millions he'll gets
Bootz2004

Postby StillCSG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:58 pm

NYbucfan31 wrote: Winston has been brought up on sexual misconduct charges several times..

Link?

Bootz I owe ya royalties
StillCSG

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm

NYbucfan31 wrote:Listen to any of Winston's speeches after he won the heisman.. He "did what he had to do on the streets to take care of his family.." Winston has been brought up on sexual misconduct charges several times.. Is he the guy that the Bucs want as the face of their franchise? Standing on a table at FSU and yelling and cursing at female students... Not the caliber of player that we need here. If we want Winston then we might as well grab Ray Rice too...

either you're trying to hard or.. wow.. scary.
Noles1724

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:01 pm

StillCSG wrote:
NYbucfan31 wrote: Winston has been brought up on sexual misconduct charges several times..

Link?

Bootz I owe ya royalties

For?
Bootz2004

Postby RobR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Bootz 2004 wrote:It's no longer Winston or Mariota....It's Winston or Winston. This is his position to lose. Show up, interview, do well at the combine and/or pro day, he's our pick. There's no way anyone can OBJECTIVELY look at Marcus Mariota's tape and say he should go ahead of Jameis Winston in this draft. Let alone be the #1 overall pick.

I'm starting to agree with this. I'm not hearing many of the experts (and "experts") state that Mariota is the better football player than Winston, it's all coming down to whether you feel you can trust Winston.
RobR

Postby A Hard » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Couple weeks ago I was pretty indifferent and even leaning towards Mariota, but as soon as I really started watching Winston he became clear favorite and its not very close IMO. Barring Lovie believing Winstons off field baggage is to much,Winston will be the pick at 1.
A Hard

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk