Players we should be watching-2020

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching-2020

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:46 pm

Any thoughts on this guy ------------- RB AJ DILLON
BOSTON COLLEGE.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:33 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Any thoughts on this guy ------------- RB AJ DILLON
BOSTON COLLEGE.

Meh. He's another Andre Williams. Big, powerful back without the quickness to be more than cloud of dust/fall forward type.

What we need to compliment RoJo with a better version of Dare - someone who can pass block and catch, but is actually a threat with the ball in his hands.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:13 pm

MJW wrote:
BOSTON COLLEGE.

Meh. He's another Andre Williams. Big, powerful back without the quickness to be more than cloud of dust/fall forward type.

What we need to compliment RoJo with a better version of Dare - someone who can pass block and catch, but is actually a threat with the ball in his hands.

I was trying to comp him to Derrick Henry, he has thirty pounds on Andre.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:05 pm

MJW wrote:
BOSTON COLLEGE.

Etienne's game is basically Alvin Kamara's.

We could do alot worse in the second round.
Cheb

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:25 am

Cheb wrote:
MJW wrote:

I’d absolutely love it, but don’t see him being there in the 2nd.
Deja Entendu

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 am

Cheb wrote:
MJW wrote:

You must mean with Licht, so yeah we could.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Snake wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Who will be the Shaq Barrett from this class? The undrafted Super Star?

I’ll get right on that MDB

Are you getting anywhere?
mdb1958

Postby Snake » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Snake wrote:I’ll get right on that MDB

Are you getting anywhere?

He's on my list of RBs to watch. I'm considering making a thread about the #2/#3 RB situation in the draft forum.
Snake

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 am

Here is an odd one Cheb, where do you see the direction of this player?

Kuony Deng
School: California

Position: LB

6-6, 220lb (198cm, 99kg
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:43 am

Cheb, what happened to Isaiahh Loudermilk?
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I’d absolutely love it, but don’t see him being there in the 2nd.

This. I'd say his absolute, rock-bottom, everything-goes-wrong-on-draft-night floor is the Chiefs pick. And there is no universe where I'd advocate using a first on a back, especially when we have a pretty good one under contract for two more years anyway.
MJW

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Here's a drum bang on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_cZ1QkWdwY

Are you kids old enough to remember Dave Meggett? Played primarily for the Giants during the Parcells years? This kid is a clone. He's probably never going to be a plus blocker at 5'9 200, but if he can be functional, he could be one of the best COP backs in the league.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 am

mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 am

mdb1958 wrote:http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/grant-delpit-1.html

https://lrbears.com/sports/football/ros ... ugger/3168

Delpit would be something roaming the deep middle of this burgeoning defense. I like him as a player, but I would be upset if we don't draft a QB, OL, DL, or rusher.

I don't know the first thing about Dugger except that he's a physical marvel. That's a whole heck of a lot of projecting for a safety - DII to the NFL.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:59 am

MJW wrote:

Delpit would be something roaming the deep middle of this burgeoning defense. I like him as a player, but I would be upset if we don't draft a QB, OL, DL, or rusher.

I don't know the first thing about Dugger except that he's a physical marvel. That's a whole heck of a lot of projecting for a safety - DII to the NFL.

I feel sparks flying from my fingertips on this one.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

I've been reading/watching what I can on Dugger since this post. Man, he is gifted. The story (not the player, really) reminds me of Nick Collins. He was a very gifted safety the Packers took in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft (the round after they took some guy named Rodgers.) He was from Bethune-Cookman and nobody but Mel Kiper knew who he was. He ended up playing six great years for the Pack before a neck injury ended his career.

That's probably where a kid like this goes - mid-late second, when his obvious upside is worth the risk for a good team that already has a first round prospect in the bag.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I've been reading/watching what I can on Dugger since this post. Man, he is gifted. The story (not the player, really) reminds me of Nick Collins. He was a very gifted safety the Packers took in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft (the round after they took some guy named Rodgers.) He was from Bethune-Cookman and nobody but Mel Kiper knew who he was. He ended up playing six great years for the Pack before a neck injury ended his career.

That's probably where a kid like this goes - mid-late second, when his obvious upside is worth the risk for a good team that already has a first round prospect in the bag.

I know someone who knows him and he said he's the real deal and yes I fear a 2nd is what it will take. From what I hear they had him playing all over the place, he did whatever the coaches asked him to do. After a couple years maybe sooner I could see him switching responsibilities with LB's on third downs, but mostly I think he could be a deep center fielder for us too.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:57 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

I know someone who knows him and he said he's the real deal and yes I fear a 2nd is what it will take. From what I hear they had him playing all over the place, he did whatever the coaches asked him to do. After a couple years maybe sooner I could see him switching responsibilities with LB's on third downs, but mostly I think he could be a deep center fielder for us too.

Absolutely an interesting idea. Now that you mention it, he does kind of remind me of Justin Evans, who would be playing that role if he were healthy. Dugger is bigger and probably a lot more raw than Evans was after TAMU, but they have the same kind of explosiveness to the football.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:04 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Absolutely an interesting idea. Now that you mention it, he does kind of remind me of Justin Evans, who would be playing that role if he were healthy. Dugger is bigger and probably a lot more raw than Evans was after TAMU, but they have the same kind of explosiveness to the football.

Except KD is 6'2" 220.

check that --- I see you said he was bigger.
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:33 am

MJW wrote:

This is the only thing that makes me second guess the Delpit pick. Safeties are almost like the running back of the defense these days.

Tre Boston was a good safety in his prime and didn't find a team until July 31 last off-season. And he signed a one-year deal for $2.2 million.
Deuce

Postby ComingThisFall » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 am

Deuce wrote:
MJW wrote:

This is the only thing that makes me second guess the Delpit pick. Safeties are almost like the running back of the defense these days.

Tre Boston was a good safety in his prime and didn't find a team until July 31 last off-season. And he signed a one-year deal for $2.2 million.

Then we get to hear from our FO how amazed it was that Delpit fell to us while other teams are scooping up OL and DL
ComingThisFall

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Then we get to hear from our FO how amazed it was that Delpit fell to us while other teams are scooping up OL and DL

The Draft Network has 16 interior defensive linemen in the top 200.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Now you know why I was looking!
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Dillon's a big boy, but that's all he is. It wasn't the heft that made Jerome Bettis great, or the muscle that made Alsott great. It was quick feet, great vision, and an understand of how to use their size to initiate contact and still protect themselves (and the ball.) I don't see that with Dillon.

Wisky had a running back a lot like him a few years ago - John Clay. 6'1 255. He ran for a ton of yards, too. But he never even got a real look in the league because his size was all there was.

At least I agree with you on that DII safety. He's got something!
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Dillon's a big boy, but that's all he is. It wasn't the heft that made Jerome Bettis great, or the muscle that made Alsott great. It was quick feet, great vision, and an understand of how to use their size to initiate contact and still protect themselves (and the ball.) I don't see that with Dillon.

Wisky had a running back a lot like him a few years ago - John Clay. 6'1 255. He ran for a ton of yards, too. But he never even got a real look in the league because his size was all there was.

At least I agree with you on that DII safety. He's got something!

OK.
I'm just saying I had a feeling Henry was going to factor in. I think he did way more than I even thought he would, him working his own stiff arm doesnt slow his feet and its brutal. We could use a guy like that.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 am

The best way to have a back of Henry's success is to have similar blocking.

Henry is good, don't get me wrong. I love his style and I am proud that an old-school back like him is having success. He's making plays like Earl Campbell.

Back to the point. Henry consistently lines up seven yards deep behind Tannehill. He gets a running start and hits an unobstructed hole without having to dodge in the backfield. He's often untouched for the first three or four yards, and has a full head of steam to plow over second and third level defenders.

We haven't consistently had blocking of that caliber in Tampa since I became a fan about 20 years ago. Maybe never.

Ronald Jones can bring the thunder in such a situation. Lots of guys could.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:20 am

Cheb wrote:The best way to have a back of Henry's success is to have similar blocking.

Henry is good, don't get me wrong. I love his style and I am proud that an old-school back like him is having success. He's making plays like Earl Campbell.

Back to the point. Henry consistently lines up seven yards deep behind Tannehill. He gets a running start and hits an unobstructed hole without having to dodge in the backfield. He's often untouched for the first three or four yards, and has a full head of steam to plow over second and third level defenders.

We haven't consistently had blocking of that caliber in Tampa since I became a fan about 20 years ago. Maybe never.

I think I was on to something with Rugby style running and Mailata, just think every fifty times or so he might hit the line with a hole and break a big one.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 am

Cheb wrote:The best way to have a back of Henry's success is to have similar blocking.

You know me, Cheb. I pray at the alter of, "if you can run block, you can run."
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:10 am

Since some of us have talked about Wirfs - I saw a mock where he went before Thomas
mdb1958

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm

MJW wrote:

You know me, Cheb. I pray at the alter of, "if you can run block, you can run."

Ditto this, if you have a great line and a "meh" back you will run the ball effectively
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk