Conference Pride

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
I want my conference to do well and root for conference mates when playing non-conference opponents

Poll runs till Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 pm

Yes. Iron sharpens iron. Rising tide lifts all boats. National perception. Etc.
82%
No.
No votes
It’s complicated
18%

Total votes : 11

Conference Pride

Postby Snake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Do you actively root for your conference as a general rule when they play out of conference opponents?

Do you root for outcomes that limit the cannibalization of the conference? For example, you have a scenario where a team from your conference could make the playoff so you root for that team to not lose to another conference mate to bolster their chances of repping the conference?

Do you buy into any of the academic standards/solidarity stuff that conferences push?

Would you root for your conference rival if it meant a win “for the conference”? Auburn rooting for Bama in the playoff, etc.
Snake

Re: Conference Pride

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:34 pm

I root for the SEC above all. I didn’t before college, but after being a part of it you can’t help it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Snake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 pm

I work with a dude who played in the SEC. his professional email signature is “SEC!” It’s also tattoo’d on his body.

I **** you not.
Snake

Postby Snake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I root for the SEC above all. I didn’t before college, but after being a part of it you can’t help it.

You’d root against your Alma mater if it meant the greater good of the conference. Like ensuring a playoff spot?
Snake

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I root for the SEC above all. I didn’t before college, but after being a part of it you can’t help it.

This.

It is the way.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:47 am

It's complicated.
Cheb

Postby Heidguy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:05 am

I root for the SEC in the bowl season. Except bama, **** bama 4 life! I want them to lose there spring game so I'd certainly never root for them in a championship game.
Heidguy

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 am

Rooting for your conference makes sense to boost your school's status and finances. So I reluctantly want the SEC to do well in OOC games and in bowls, but I can't actively cheer for Bama, UF, UGA, LSU or Clemson (not in the SEC, but **** Clemson).
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc You » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 am

My team comes first, but I root for other SEC teams to do well as long as it doesn't harm my team to do so. Like we're not making the CFP this year(that 3% chance tho!) so I'm rooting for LSU to take the natty. If we made the playoffs though, it's all Gators until we're out.

Except Georgia and Tennessee, I love to watch those schools fail and fail hard.
Buc You

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:40 am

I do not actively root for ACC teams, but I do like to see them win just because the conference has been perceived as weak for a while now (and don't get me wrong, it is). But I don't care all that much.

The only time I would actively care is if it is a team that Clemson plays/played that year. I want every one of those schools to go 11-1. Hell, even out of conference, I root for SC to go 11-1, as long as that 1 is their annual Thanksgiving shellacking.
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:48 am

Conference pride is what will turn up the 8 - 16 team playoff for FBS. I think it works personally, and forces independent teams to align.

Following the SEC for 20+ years was fun, and always routed for whoever was representing (goes for basketball and baseball as well).

I watch from the sidelines on SEC Conference Shootout this year, leaning to LSU (as stated earlier) to see if the national title can go to Baton Rouge. It's good to see Eddie O do well.
Crocaneers

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:56 am

Conference pride is one thing. Rooting for your rival to win a bowl game is another. Like, I might be proud of the B1G or AAC has a good bowl record one year, but if Michigan is playing Auburn, I’m rooting for Auburn.
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

I think when it comes to pulling for your conference rival it's tougher, even for SEC folks.

As a UF fan I despise Georgia, but I'll still pull for them over a non-Conference team everytime. As USCe mentioned it elevates your conference.

That's not to say I'll wear Red and Black and not hate them once the game is over. But I set aside that hate for those 3hrs. Games are more interesting imo when you're pulling for one team to win and Conference pride is logical mechanism in that regard since it benefits whoever your program/team is.

I'd be perfectly fine with Georgia and Tennessee losing every SEC game though and always pull for the other team in those games.

Take recruiting for example, I don't mind when other SEC schools get good classes b/c the more talent and more good teams the more good recruits will want to come play and I have confidence in the program UF offers to these kids.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Conference pride is one thing. Rooting for your rival to win a bowl game is another. Like, I might be proud of the B1G or AAC has a good bowl record one year, but if Michigan is playing Auburn, I’m rooting for Auburn.

I can see that. My closest in-laws are OSU fans and I can't see them ever wanting Michigan to win unless it's advantageous to their SoS. But Bowl Games obviously wouldn't be.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Conference pride is one thing. Rooting for your rival to win a bowl game is another. Like, I might be proud of the B1G or AAC has a good bowl record one year, but if Michigan is playing Auburn, I’m rooting for Auburn.

I can see that. My closest in-laws are OSU fans and I can't see them ever wanting Michigan to win unless it's advantageous to their SoS. But Bowl Games obviously wouldn't be.

I like Mich and want them to be 12-1 every year.
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I can see that. My closest in-laws are OSU fans and I can't see them ever wanting Michigan to win unless it's advantageous to their SoS. But Bowl Games obviously wouldn't be.

I like Mich and want them to be 12-1 every year.

You’re on notice.
Ken Carson

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Snake wrote:

You’d root against your Alma mater if it meant the greater good of the conference. Like ensuring a playoff spot?

My alma mater is LSU. I root LSU anytime they’re playing, but always pull for the SEC. I’m proud of my conference even when Bama is winning title after title.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:37 pm

I've never seen you speak about LSU. I believe you, just surprised.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I think SEC fans may be singular in conference pride. I don’t know why it is this way, but it’s just the way it is. We cheer for the SEC. I want the next 10 titles to come out of LSU, but if not then they need to be SEC teams.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:44 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I've never seen you speak about LSU. I believe you, just surprised.

I rarely post in the college forum. You’ve probably seen me post here about Bama during one of the title games.

LSU is my alma mater. FSU my other team because of Derrick. SEC is my conference. Before attending LSU I was only an FSU fan. I thought SEC fans were ridiculous, but attending games in Death Valley changes you lol. It helped that we won a title while I was there too.
PrimeMinister

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm

I have always rooted for the Florida teams to do well, state pride over conference pride I guess. It was tough to pick one single team for a long time as there was FSU and Miami for a while then it was FSU and UF and there was at least one or two years where any of the big 3 schools from the state had thier shot. Made it tough

I will root for whichever one has the opportunity to get to the playoffs but when all are pretty much out of it, I root for the Gators

Screw all those other SEC teams, always hope none of them make the playoffs
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Return to College Football/Draft Talk