Players we should be watching-2020

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching-2020

Postby Snake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:49 pm

I alluded to similar things in August MB. He continues to accumulate stats and will reportedly test off the charts athletically but I agree I’m still missing something. He’s got such long legs. Though I doubt he’ll be asked to set many edges
Last edited by Snake on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Snake wrote:I alluded to similar things in August MB. He continues to accumulate stats and will reportedly test off the charts athletically but I agree I’m still missing something

Where is the get off? Where is the seamless movement to the quarterback? Nothing about this guy says Michael Strahan.

What am I not seeing?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm

This guy has to be pissing scouts off. Jabari Zuniga.

1st half, he looks fantastic. Great motor. fights hard. Everything you want to see. Comes out of the locker room after the half looking like a different guy, but then turns it on in the 4th quarter.

3rd round. Put him in rotation and he could perform really well, but he ain't Javon Kearse.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 am

I sat down to watch some Bama, and the guy that kept popping for me is Terrell Lewis. I see all the tools to be an elite Edge guy. 6'5 255. Explosive. Strong. Mean. He'd be an ideal compliment opposite Barrett. He's absolutely someone I've got on my Bucs radar.
MJW

Postby Cheb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Wait, wait, wait.

THIS is the top guy in the draft? Please tell me he has better tape than this. The best thing I saw was early in the game where he set the edge well on an inside run, but it just gets worse after that.

Hands are down, puts his chest into the blocker's body, doesn't look particularly fast, and the one sack he got he was the second man to the QB.

No rip? no swim? one half assed spin that did nothing. Please tell me he was going through the motions here.

EDIT

Okay, this is better. I can see some speed and he's ripping inside and being disruptive, but I gotta say that the Wisconsin LT, Cole Van Lanen (13 games, 1 start prior to this season) looks pretty bad here. And I hate to say that cuz he's wearing Ryan Ramczyk's number.

I gotta say I'm suspect on this guy. Not a good first impression for me.

He's very hot and cold. Even in that breakout Wisconsin game, his first two sacks were rather pedestrian. The latter two were beautiful, though.

It'll be interesting to see how he shapes out as the season progresses. To say that he was minimally blocked versus Wisconsin is an understatement.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 am

A Day 2 WR we should keep an eye: John Hightower, Boise State. very nice length at 6'2" and a true burner. Could be a great fit with Evans and Godwin as a #3 wideout. Great down the field as a true deep threat, but is also able to use his tremendous wheels to make plays after the catch, and on designed plays like end arounds and screens.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 pm

2 for 1 special

First, I watched this film for Andrew Thomas and then I watched it again to watch Fromm.

Thomas is a grown man and looks like a damned fine football player to me. Over the course of this film, I saw him give up exactly one hurry and that was in the 4th quarter. Georgia likes to shoot him across the line on run downs to pancake defensive tackles occupied with the interior line. They also will shoot him into the second level to take the Mike out of the play. Guy does his job rep after rep and I see why he's way up the draft boards. He's ready for draft day. They don't run behind him though. I couldn't tell you why.

To nitpick, I think he's carrying too much weight on his frame. I say that because he lumbers a bit even though he never looked gassed to me. He's listed as 6'5 320 which is about average, but I think he could either build his conditioning to carry it better or ideally drop about 10lbs and maybe move alot better. That would make him a little light (maybe too light) to play left tackle (Smith is 335) but if you slimmed him down to an even 300lbs he'd be a new man and one helluva guard.

On to Fromm. I think the reason he's not in the discussion with Tua and Burrow (whom I've never gotten a good look at) is because of the offense. You never see a 5 or 7 step drop. The only time he's under center is for a specific run play. You can't look at his footwork when he's in the shotgun all the time. Upper body looks fine. quick release, plenty of zip on the ball, accurate, doesn't panic under pressure (that'd be nice). There's just a lot to like, but the lack of seeing him do it all doesn't let you anoint him a franchise QB.

Can't really give the high end breakdowns like Cheb is doing over in TD, but these are my impressions.

Oh, and D'Andre Swift is a 3rd down back. He's a good player, but he ain't Sony Michel.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 am

real bucs fan wrote:A Day 2 WR we should keep an eye: John Hightower, Boise State. very nice length at 6'2" and a true burner. Could be a great fit with Evans and Godwin as a #3 wideout. Great down the field as a true deep threat, but is also able to use his tremendous wheels to make plays after the catch, and on designed plays like end arounds and screens.

Curtis Weaver
EDGE, Boise State
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:02 am

Day Three Guy: Darrion Daniels, DL, Nebraska

6'4. Listed at 340, but if he's 340 I'm 29 years old. He's a two gap monster. He's also athletic. He picked off a shovel pass a couple weeks ago and almost took it to the house.
MJW

Postby Natural Selection » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 pm

If there is a better war daddy than Derrick Brown from Auburn in this class please tell me who I should start watching. Damn that dude is doing things I haven’t seen much. Flat out punking his man. Not seeing technique or plan. Just brute force and upside (good feet and motor). He does look like a bit of a top heavy build. Not sure if that contributes to him winding up on the ground more than he should, or if that’s more technical deficiencies.
Natural Selection

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 am

Natural Selection wrote:If there is a better war daddy than Derrick Brown from Auburn in this class please tell me who I should start watching. Damn that dude is doing things I haven’t seen much. Flat out punking his man. Not seeing technique or plan. Just brute force and upside (good feet and motor). He does look like a bit of a top heavy build. Not sure if that contributes to him winding up on the ground more than he should, or if that’s more technical deficiencies.

Brown is a big, strong dude. He's look good in the Suh role here.

Watch Javon Kinlaw. He's dominating week-in, week-out, He goes about 6'5 310. He could be the next Chris Jones.

Both should be in consideration with our pick.
MJW

Postby Natural Selection » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:55 am

MJW wrote:
Natural Selection wrote:If there is a better war daddy than Derrick Brown from Auburn in this class please tell me who I should start watching. Damn that dude is doing things I haven’t seen much. Flat out punking his man. Not seeing technique or plan. Just brute force and upside (good feet and motor). He does look like a bit of a top heavy build. Not sure if that contributes to him winding up on the ground more than he should, or if that’s more technical deficiencies.

Brown is a big, strong dude. He's look good in the Suh role here.

Watch Javon Kinlaw. He's dominating week-in, week-out, He goes about 6'5 310. He could be the next Chris Jones.

Both should be in consideration with our pick.

Thank you! Sidenote here, what a great time to be alive. Every year I see more and more game cut ups for these prospects earlier and earlier. Kinlaw also has 2019 cut ups on YouTube. Agree he’s a very good looking interior lineman, but at least a shelf below Brown at first glance for me. Kinlaw definitely looks like a better football player right now. He’s not on the ground nearly as much as Brown. Which I’m guessing has a lot to do with playing more under control with better technique. Kinlaw also seemed to have better play/ball carrier recognition. I didn’t see the snap after snap effort from Kinlaw that I felt I’m seeing from Brown. Along with slower feet. There’s also a notch down in brutality. Part of the reason that Brown jumps out at me so much is he genuinely doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing. He demonstrates the ability to generate amazing force without proper balance, technique, hand placement. He just looks like a raw beast out there trying to embarrass the guy across from him. After watching a couple of Brown’s games, I feel like he could be a top 10 level prospect. I would not make that same statement watching a couple of Kinlaw tapes.
Natural Selection

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

The QBs that intrigue me the most are Herbert, Newman, Eason, and Love, probably in that order... not that it matters this early.

I also wanted to see what KJ Costello did this year, but with his injuries that hasn’t gone well for him.

If any of you have insight into any of these guys (besides Herbert who gets a decent amount of pub), feel free to share. I don’t keep up with college ball nearly as much as I used to, and definitely not as much as most of you.
Deja Entendu

Postby Snake » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Gonna be a revelatory game for Tua as an NFL prospect
Snake

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk