USF strikes another deal to play a P5 school...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: USF strikes another deal to play a P5 school...

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:53 am

Kress wrote:If that was the case, he should have looked at a 2 for 1 with the Bucs.

:lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Everything is cyclical, kids. 'Bama won't be this good forever. I remember quite clearly, when they weren't very good. And it wasn't all that long ago.

And good on USF. I remember, back in the day, a small, private school in Florida was quite close to shutting down it's football program. They started to make a name for themselves by playing the best teams in the country (at the time), on the road. There were no "home and homes" or "2 for 1's". Yet they took those games (got paid for them)...and (shockingly) won a few.

That team was the University of Miami. By 1979, they were within a year or two of quitting football altogether. There was precedent for it as well. The University of Tampa had a well thought of program into the 70's and put guys like Freddie Solomon and John Matuszak into the NFL. The only way for Miami to keep from folding (like the U of Tampa program did in 1972 or going to Division II) was for them to take games against the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State and Notre Dame for the paycheck that would allow them to keep the football program. The rest is history.

USF has one slight disadvantage. UM was an "Independent", back in the day and had no "conference schedule" to play so they could schedule whoever they wanted to and could.

USF can play their way into a Power 5 conference invite by winning some of these games against UF, UM and Alabama. I can and has been done before.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I think 'Bama is different simply because of the in-state recruiting...that corner of our little country has an incredible amount of talent -- particularly the big boys in the trenches. TN, Mich and ND don't have the same amount of athletes in-state that Bama does.

While USCw and Texas do, there is so much more competition within those states.

I'm not saying Bama continues dominating after Saban leaves, I just can't see them struggling around .500 like those schools.

Calm yourself, kid.

It isn't because of all of the "outstanding talent" coming out of Alabama.

Alabama WILL struggle again...like they (and all schools) have before.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:13 am

Nebraska under Tom Osbourne
FSU under Bowden in the 90s
USC under Pete Carroll
Florida under Spurrier and then Meyer

Teams rise to seemingly unbeatable heights only to fall back down to reality. Most only dominate for a season or two.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Nebraska under Tom Osbourne
USC under Pete Carroll

Teams rise to seemingly unbeatable heights only to fall back down to reality. Most only dominate for a season or two.

Many are much longer than "a season or two". USC/Notre Dame in the 60's/70's. Oklahoma/Nebraska in the 70's/80's. Miami/FSU/ND in the 80's/90's/2000's. Now....Alabama/Oregon/Clemson. Nothing new under the sun.

And I'd like a little credit for not blasting the kid who was making the argument that the state of Alabama...ALABAMA...produces so many outstanding players (as opposed to nearly EVERY OTHER STATE), as the reason why the Tide are so good currently. LMFAO! You've got to be ****ing kidding me...
Alpha

Postby Kress » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am

Alpha wrote:And I'd like a little credit for not blasting the kid who was making the argument that the state of Alabama...ALABAMA...produces so many outstanding players (as opposed to nearly EVERY OTHER STATE), as the reason why the Tide are so good currently. LMFAO! You've got to be ****ing kidding me...

That caught my eye, too. Alabama, as an entire state, barely out-populates the Tampa Bay area. And the Tide has to share that state with Auburn. Given the high school talent around this joint, by that metric USF should be whooping some ass.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Kress wrote:
Alpha wrote:And I'd like a little credit for not blasting the kid who was making the argument that the state of Alabama...ALABAMA...produces so many outstanding players (as opposed to nearly EVERY OTHER STATE), as the reason why the Tide are so good currently. LMFAO! You've got to be ****ing kidding me...

That caught my eye, too. Alabama, as an entire state, barely out-populates the Tampa Bay area. And the Tide has to share that state with Auburn. Given the high school talent around this joint, by that metric USF should be whooping some ass.

If I gave more than zero fucks, I'd look and see how many out-of-staters they had playing for them. My hunch is...quite a damn many.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 am

66 OOS
37 from Alabama
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:00 pm

USC under Pete Carroll

Everything and their uncle all depends on who they hire as coach. If they were to hire, say, Urban Meyer, you're going to tell me they are going to take a step back? Hell no. (Not saying they will, of course, just using him as an example.)

I think Bama is more likely to go the Oklahoma or Ohio State route when Saban is done and hire from within, which works sometime and fails others. Worked with Bowden to Fisher and Stoops to Kennedy, but failed miserably with Holtz to Davie and Stallings to DuBose and Meyer to Muschamp.
NavyBuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
USC under Pete Carroll

Everything and their uncle all depends on who they hire as coach. If they were to hire, say, Urban Meyer, you're going to tell me they are going to take a step back? Hell no. (Not saying they will, of course, just using him as an example.)

I think Bama is more likely to go the Oklahoma or Ohio State route when Saban is done and hire from within, which works sometime and fails others. Worked with Bowden to Fisher and Stoops to Kennedy, but failed miserably with Holtz to Davie and Stallings to DuBose and Meyer to Muschamp.

Muschamp wasn't on Meyer's staff and I think you mean Stoops to Riley, no?
uscbucsfan

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

Muschamp wasn't on Meyer's staff and I think you mean Stoops to Riley, no?

Yes, Riley. Not sure why I was thinking Lincoln Kennedy.
NavyBuc

Postby Kress » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am

NavyBuc wrote:Everything and their uncle all depends on who they hire as coach. If they were to hire, say, Urban Meyer, you're going to tell me they are going to take a step back? Hell no. (Not saying they will, of course, just using him as an example.)

Hence you see stuff like this:

Clemson football’s contract extension for head coach Dabo Swinney was the talk of college football last week even with the NFL Draft in the headlines. Clemson’s trustees approved a 10-year, $93 million contract for Swinney. It’s a deal that stands out for both its length and dollar amount. Few coaches in college football history can claim a 10-year deal, and fewer still can say they averaged $9.3 million a year.

Perhaps most interestingly, the new deal includes an Alabama buyout clause. Swinney’s buyout would be 50 percent higher should he leave specifically to become the head coach of the Crimson Tide. “That came from the school and their proposal, and I didn’t have a problem with it. This contract was all about a mutual commitment to each other, Clemson and myself,” Swinney said.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

At it's max, it's only 8 million. If Bama really wanted Swinney and he was interested (which is the big factor), I don't think 8 million would be much of a deterrent.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am

I know, I was just noting the point of even including it.

They could easily come up with $8 million just be restructuring their Tua payments.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am

I'd bet TL gets paid more than Tua.

I wonder how much star football players actually make....
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Hair endorsements don't count.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:26 am

NavyBuc wrote:I think Bama is more likely to go the Oklahoma or Ohio State route when Saban is done and hire from within, which works sometime and fails others.

You must be too young to remember when Alabama did this before. Definitely no Sabans here:

Gene Stallings. Ray Perkins. Mike Shula. Bill Curry.

Meh.
Alpha

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am

Alpha wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:I think Bama is more likely to go the Oklahoma or Ohio State route when Saban is done and hire from within, which works sometime and fails others.

You must be too young to remember when Alabama did this before. Definitely no Sabans here:

Gene Stallings. Ray Perkins. Mike Shula. Bill Curry.

Meh.

Stallings wasn't bad. Got them a NC and mutliple SEC title appearances in four years time. Ran up against Spurrier, and while he got him in '92, Spurrier got him back from '94-'96. Gene was no Bear or Saban, but he was solid compared to those other guys on the list. I believe he was the one who recruited Shaun Alexander.
NavyBuc

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk