With the first pick of the 2020 draft, the buccaneers select

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the first pick of the 2020 draft, the buccaneers se

Postby Deuce » Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am

Snake wrote:
Deuce wrote:We're looking at a 2-year window for success with Licht, Arians, and Jameis. No matter our record next year, Licht and Arians will be retained and Jameis will be franchised. Then say we go 4-12 the following year. Licht is fired. Arians is fired or retires. Jameis is allowed to hit the market.

No one can predict the Glazers but I don’t think there’s any way that Jameis and Licht survive a terrible year.

We all heard Arians in the press conference, he's here to "reload, not rebuild". I don't see him trying to correct this whole thing with a new QB or his buddy getting fired as GM.
Deuce

Postby Naismith » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 am

Snake wrote:No one can predict the Glazers but I don’t think there’s any way that Jameis and Licht survive a terrible year.

If Arians wants Jameis back next year, he'll be back next year.
Naismith

Postby Snake » Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am

Deuce wrote:
Snake wrote:No one can predict the Glazers but I don’t think there’s any way that Jameis and Licht survive a terrible year.

We all heard Arians in the press conference, he's here to "reload, not rebuild". I don't see him trying to correct this whole thing with a new QB or his buddy getting fired as GM.

Okay, let’s say we go 7-9 or worse, will the powers that be continue to buy into the narrative that the roster is great but it’s a coaching issue?

Vegas thinks were gonna be a bottom 10 team. That’s a failed reload by definition. Multi year projects are rebuilds.

IMO, 8-8 and under is totally unacceptable if we kept this team together for a reload. 9-7+ with an improved defense and Jameis becoming a top 15 QB is the goal. Jameis continuing to be mediocre/bad and DCTB carrying this team to an 8-8 record is a total disaster.
Snake

Postby Deuce » Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

Snake wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Okay, let’s say we go 7-9 or worse, will the powers that be continue to buy into the narrative that the roster is great but it’s a coaching issue?

Vegas thinks were gonna be a bottom 10 team. That’s a failed reload by definition. Multi year projects are rebuilds.

IMO, 8-8 and under is totally unacceptable if we kept this team together for a reload. 9-7+ with an improved defense and Jameis becoming a top 15 QB is the goal. Jameis continuing to be mediocre/bad and DCTB carrying this team to an 8-8 record is a total disaster.

In the last 10 years, we've gone 8-8 or better twice. If you think 8-8 is a total disaster and/or totally unacceptable, you might be in for a rough year. I'm an optimist but even if the coaching is 100% better, it's not just going to be a miracle overnight. I expect improved play from Jameis, an aggressive defense, and competent special teams. Even with all of that, I'm thinking between 7-9 and 9-7.

There's always a chance it's a complete dumpster fire and we win 5 games or less. I still think everyone comes back. I guess they could try and get a good veteran QB but that's not easy.
Deuce

Postby MJW » Fri May 03, 2019 3:23 am

Deuce wrote:
MJW wrote:
I don't think there's any way Arians gets fired. His health might catch up with him. But even if we go 0-16, he'll most likely get a 2nd year.

Licht, though? In this scenario, he'll have been here seven years and posted six last place finishes. Frankly, it's vaguely amazing he's survived five out of six. But I guess you get a pass when you're the kind of GM who uses more draft capital on kickers than offensive linemen over the last four years.

I think Licht and Arians are tied together. Licht had a big hand in bringing Arians in, so I don't see a scenario unfolding where we then retain Arians and get rid of Licht.

I can see it happening.

Arians has a track record of success. He's won NFL Coach Of The Year twice. His worst season as as head coach he went 7-8-1. His .636 win percentage (including the Colts) is better than Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs. I could go on.

If he comes in here, and we suck again, there's going to be no more of this, "It isn't poor Jason's fault! Lovie sucked! I mean, Koetter sucked! He's really done a great job with the roster even if we're not winning!" garbage. If *BRUCE ARIANS* can't win games with the roster Jason Licht built from scratch, it's absolutely reasonable to think OBP will say, "Wow, maybe the guy with the worst free agency record in the league...who keeps drafting kickers and not linemen...and spent us up against the cap while not making us any better...well, maybe he really ISN'T a great GM after all! Sorry about that, Bruce, we'll get you someone better!"

Now, it's possible that Arians will choose to protect Licht, given their relationship. BUT is there a scenario where Licht (finally) gets blamed for all the sucking from this team and the coach doesn't? I think there is. Bruce Arians is a damn good coach. If he can't win games here, it ain't HIS fault.

(Though, FWIW, I think we'll win enough this year - .500ish, probably - that it's moot, when weighed against how young our roster is and how much cap space is coming free soon.)
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 am

In terms of positional needs, a 3T to replace McCoy and and OL help for the right side appear to be the major needs.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 am

MJW wrote:Raekwon Davis is the Platonic Ideal of a Todd Bowles defensive end. 6'7 306, smart, and mean. I think either he or Quinnen Williams is a Buc right now if he'd declared.

Unfortunately, if we're picking high enough to get him in 2020, it means we need a QB because Winston failed (again.)

A smart man is going to finish his defense.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am

will be going Oline
Walker Little Stanford or Walker Little Georgia
Jason Bourne

Postby mdb1958 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:will be going Oline
Walker Little Stanford or Walker Little Georgia

If Winston busts, I wouldnt pick a high QB for 4 or 5 years till we can put some respect on the field.
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Alpha wrote:
IF this happened, then we just wasted 5 years and we get to wait ANOTHER 5 years to see if we wasted those.

I really don't understand you nit-wits.

aaand what makes you think we havent wasted 5 years with this QB Mr Einstein ?

That's Norman, to you.

And re-read what I said (vis a vis the article posted), ass-munch. It'll answer your question for you. I understand that you have a never ending hard-on for your Uncle Alpha but calm your tits, Junior.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon May 13, 2019 5:56 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

aaand what makes you think we havent wasted 5 years with this QB Mr Einstein ?

That's Norman, to you.

And re-read what I said (vis a vis the article posted), ass-munch. It'll answer your question for you. I understand that you have a never ending hard-on for your Uncle Alpha but calm your tits, Junior.

why you so angry for, its not my fault your only 5 ft tall
Jason Bourne

Postby Deuce » Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Alpha wrote:
That's Norman, to you.

Alpha is Kyler Murray?
Deuce

Postby mdb1958 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Kyler Murray is Alpha when he hasnt had his Snickers bar.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Deuce wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Alpha is Kyler Murray?

Kyler is much taller
Jason Bourne

Postby PetePierson » Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am

I didn't get all the Kyler Murray knobfests this year and certainly don't understand all the Tua ball-washing.

Fix the line, either one of them... period.
PetePierson

Postby MJW » Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm

PetePierson wrote:I didn't get all the Kyler Murray knobfests this year and certainly don't understand all the Tua ball-washing.

Fix the line, either one of them... period.

Of the top QBs I've gotten a chance to watch, Tua is the best one. All the others have issues (vision, anticipation, accuracy, etc) that really sit poorly with me.

But I'm with you in general.
MJW

Postby Nano » Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Yeah, but if we fix the lines, we'll be stuck in 8-8 purgatory for the next decade. Good enough to beat the teams we should beat while pulling an upset or two along the way. Never good enough to get to the playoffs or ever build real momentum. Never drafting high enough to get that QB prospect. One season we go 9-7, the next we go 7-9. Sometimes 6-10, and that one time we reach 10-6, we miss the playoffs on a triple tiebreaker.

This last for the next 14 years until Licht finally retires, finally giving the Glazers the incriminating evidence he has threatened them with for the past 19 years.
Nano

Postby MJW » Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 am

Nano wrote:Yeah, but if we fix the lines, we'll be stuck in 8-8 purgatory for the next decade. Good enough to beat the teams we should beat while pulling an upset or two along the way. Never good enough to get to the playoffs or ever build real momentum. Never drafting high enough to get that QB prospect. One season we go 9-7, the next we go 7-9. Sometimes 6-10, and that one time we reach 10-6, we miss the playoffs on a triple tiebreaker.

This last for the next 14 years until Licht finally retires, finally giving the Glazers the incriminating evidence he has threatened them with for the past 19 years.

Don't do me like that, Nano.

Maybe we just need to #tankfortrevor
MJW

Postby Kress » Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 am

Deuce wrote:We all heard Arians in the press conference, he's here to "reload, not rebuild".

If you don't think that's anything more than coach speak for the benefit of the current roster, ask yourself this: When exactly were we loaded?
Kress

Postby Kress » Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 am

MJW wrote:Maybe we just need to #tankfortrevor

Save it for next year. We're talking about this year's tank. I mean, draft selection.
Kress

Postby MJW » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Kress wrote:
MJW wrote:Maybe we just need to #tankfortrevor

Save it for next year. We're talking about this year's tank. I mean, draft selection.

#lose32for16
MJW

Postby TheChefO » Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am

PetePierson wrote:... Fix the line, either one of them... period.

We just need to get a few more DB's ... 4 at the most ... then we can draft some linemen.
TheChefO

Postby MJW » Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 am

TheChefO wrote:
PetePierson wrote:... Fix the line, either one of them... period.

We just need to get a few more DB's ... 4 at the most ... then we can draft some linemen.

Let's be real, if Belichick was pioneering the 0-0 (11 DB) scheme, he'd be called a genius for it.
MJW

Postby TheChefO » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am

MJW wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

Let's be real, if Belichick was pioneering the 0-0 (11 DB) scheme, he'd be called a genius for it.

It does have some serious potential. I mean think about it, what lineman can block a guy twice as fast as them? Besides, they aren't even lined up at the snap so good luck getting your hands on them!

No D-lineman?!? Where we're going, we don't need D-Lineman!

TheChefO

Postby Konatown » Thu May 23, 2019 12:07 pm

ChefO I laughed.

I just hope it’s DL or pass rush. Wouldn’t be mad if it’s OL.
Konatown

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk