Draft Watch: Running Backs

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Guice is a better prospect than Penny and Michel and I DIG Penny and Michel.

Yes, but I'd prefer the value of Penny/Michel round 2 than reaching for Guice at 7.

We could take Ward at 7, and then a RB in round 2 whereas getting a top flight corner in the 2nd seems unlikely.

Guice shouldn't make it out of the first round. It wouldn't be a reach at all.

Still, I do agree that a guy like Ward or Fitz at 7 plus Michel or Penny on day two makes more sense.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

I think Barkley is the kind of player that breaks all the rules. Even though I like Guice more, he's not that player. DK got MJW in the second and Devonta Freeman in the 4th. Litch was part of a FO in NE that picked RBs back to back in the 2nd/3rd round and a Philly FO that second LeSean McCoy in the 2nd. I think they are really eyeing the RBs in the second. But who knows, maybe it will be Guice at 7 but I really doubt it. Hard to really see a situation where Guice is BPA at 7.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:19 pm

This is a very good, deep RB group. There will be some good ones available Day 3. I'd start there honestly unless a miracle happened and Guice was there in the 2nd.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:This is a very good, deep RB group. There will be some good ones available Day 3. I'd start there honestly unless a miracle happened and Guice was there in the 2nd.

I wouldn't wait that long unless Nelson is the guy at 7. If that's what happens I would load up on defensive backs and running backs all weekend. Starting day 2.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:This is a very good, deep RB group. There will be some good ones available Day 3. I'd start there honestly unless a miracle happened and Guice was there in the 2nd.

Without a 3rd we're running another risk on a run on RBs like we did last year and we got stuck with McNichols as a consolation prize. No thanks.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Waiting until Day 3 for a RB would be silly. We literally have Peyton Barber there and that's it. It's BY FAR the weakest position group on this football team. With no 3rd rounder now, one of the first 2 picks has to be a RB.

I also wouldn't say this draft is that deep. It's got 6 guys and then a whole lotta McNichols type gambles.

RBs generally can't play STs, so if you aren't drafting one to contribute for you on offence, you're wasting the pick (like we did last year).
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Don't get me wrong, I can totally see a situation where that happens and it would be okay. Say we go Nelson/Hurst or something. Then sure. Let's get a back in Day 3. But by no means should that be a plan or strategy. If there's a RB that's at the top of your board in round two, you take him.
Doctor

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:40 pm

now that the third rounder is gone, a back is much more likely in the second. You wait till the 4th and you're going to get scat backs.

Go into the second and have your choice of Michel, Penny, Freeman, Chubb, Jones, or Kerryon. You won't have many options with pick 102.

The only thing that changes that is if Barkley falls into your lap at 7.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:now that the third rounder is gone, a back is much more likely in the second. You wait till the 4th and you're going to get scat backs.

Go into the second and have your choice of Michel, Penny, Freeman, Chubb, Jones, or Kerryon. You won't have many options with pick 102.

For me, there are 4 guys I'm looking at in round 2: Penny, Michel, Jones, and Chubb. At least 1 should be there.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

I wouldn't wait that long unless Nelson is the guy at 7. If that's what happens I would load up on defensive backs and running backs all weekend. Starting day 2.

I wouldn't force it either. We now only have our 1st and 2nd. If not at 7, who are we zeroing in on at 38?
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:now that the third rounder is gone, a back is much more likely in the second. You wait till the 4th and you're going to get scat backs.

And honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we took Barkley there too, even over Nelson. As much as I love Nelson, Barkley is that kind of a player. **** playing "i hope he's there in the second or fourth or whatever" BS, you walk away with one of the greatest RB talents to enter the draft. I mean the guys drawn comparisons to Bo Jackson.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Doctor wrote:Don't get me wrong, I can totally see a situation where that happens and it would be okay. Say we go Nelson/Hurst or something. Then sure. Let's get a back in Day 3. But by no means should that be a plan or strategy. If there's a RB that's at the top of your board in round two, you take him.

I don't see a situation where a back will be at the top of our board at 38 without reaching for the sake of reaching. There will be a wealth of DBs and linemen that will fall to that spot. I look at the RB group and I see a ton that will be there later.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Waiting until Day 3 for a RB would be silly. We literally have Peyton Barber there and that's it. It's BY FAR the weakest position group on this football team. With no 3rd rounder now, one of the first 2 picks has to be a RB.

I also wouldn't say this draft is that deep. It's got 6 guys and then a whole lotta McNichols type gambles.

RBs generally can't play STs, so if you aren't drafting one to contribute for you on offence, you're wasting the pick (like we did last year).

Would you say Aaron Jones and Corey Clement are "McNichols types"?
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Waiting until Day 3 for a RB would be silly. We literally have Peyton Barber there and that's it. It's BY FAR the weakest position group on this football team. With no 3rd rounder now, one of the first 2 picks has to be a RB.

You mean a pair of gems in a large group of duds who can only be identified in hindsight and we've failed to do repeatedly selecting Jeremy McNichols, Danny Vitale, Joey Iosefa, Charles Sims, Mike James, Michael Smith, Allen Bradford... is that what you mean?
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You mean a pair of gems in a large group of duds who can only be identified in hindsight and we've failed to do repeatedly selecting Jeremy McNichols, Danny Vitale, Joey Iosefa, Charles Sims, Mike James, Michael Smith, Allen Bradford... is that what you mean?

One fullback, one h-back. Charles Sims was drafted in the third round, which makes him a Day Two player in today's draft. So before you even start, half your list is crap. Everyone else was a sixth or seventh rounder, except McNichols, who was a fifth.

The issue is not spending a fourth or fifth round selection on a running back. The problem is selecting the wrong guy.

There's plenty of good runners this year. I agree with you that adding a top guy in the top two rounds makes sense, but writing off drafting an position after only two rounds is the height of stupidity.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:You mean a pair of gems in a large group of duds who can only be identified in hindsight and we've failed to do repeatedly selecting Jeremy McNichols, Danny Vitale, Joey Iosefa, Charles Sims, Mike James, Michael Smith, Allen Bradford... is that what you mean?

One fullback, one h-back. Charles Sims was drafted in the third round, which makes him a Day Two player in today's draft. So before you even start, half your list is crap. Everyone else was a sixth or seventh rounder, except McNichols, who was a fifth.

The issue is not spending a fourth or fifth round selection on a running back. The problem is selecting the wrong guy.

There's plenty of good runners this year. I agree with you that adding a top guy in the top two rounds makes sense, but writing off drafting an position after only two rounds is the height of stupidity.

I had this exact conversation with MJW last year. I told her to cherry pick 1 Day 3 running back and we would track and see how his season went. She went with McNichols, I **** you not.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Screw this RB early noise...go Ballage in round 4, ESPECIALLY if we somehow nab Nelson (rd1) or Hernandez (rd2)....
Super K

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:37 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I had this exact conversation with MJW last year. I told her to cherry pick 1 Day 3 running back and we would track and see how his season went. She went with McNichols, I **** you not.

So you're saying if I'd gone with Tarik Cohen or Marlon Mack or Aaron Jones or Corey Clement, you'd still have a point about Day Three running backs? K
MJW

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm

BTW, aren't you the guy who said Dalvin Cook was one of the best running back prospects ever? You know, 2nd rounder Dalvin Cook?
MJW

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 pm

I think Barkley will be there and the Bucs will take him. I'm positive it's a mistake, but it will be easy to get excited about.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Naismith wrote:I think Barkley will be there and the Bucs will take him. I'm positive it's a mistake, but it will be easy to get excited about.

I agree with your last three points. I think we would take him, because our FO is trying to save their jobs and he's most likely to have an instant impact. It will be a mistake. And I would get excited about it because that's what fans do.

That said...I think someone will save us from ourselves.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Super K wrote:Screw this RB early noise...go Ballage in round 4, ESPECIALLY if we somehow nab Nelson (rd1) or Hernandez (rd2)....

He'd be the perfect compliment to Barber. I think people are hoping for a bell cow. It's not really much of a thing anymore. I just watched 2 teams in the Superbowl last month, both with a hodge podge of RBs at their disposal. The most impressive thing is not 1 of them was drafted before the 4th round. So this crap about there being only 6 RBs is casual B.S. fans use because they havent done homework on ALL of the prospects.
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm

MJW wrote:
Naismith wrote:I think Barkley will be there and the Bucs will take him. I'm positive it's a mistake, but it will be easy to get excited about.

I agree with your last three points. I think we would take him, because our FO is trying to save their jobs and he's most likely to have an instant impact. It will be a mistake. And I would get excited about it because that's what fans do.

I don't get that vibe but I have no way of knowing for sure. I think they take him because Koetter is an old school coach that thinks that's how you build a team and because Licht will feel like he filled the glaring holes and can take any position.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:Screw this RB early noise...go Ballage in round 4, ESPECIALLY if we somehow nab Nelson (rd1) or Hernandez (rd2)....

He'd be the perfect compliment to Barber. I think people are hoping for a bell cow. It's not really much of a thing anymore. I just watched 2 teams in the Superbowl last month, both with a hodge podge of RBs at their disposal. The most impressive thing is not 1 of them was drafted before the 4th round. So this crap about there being only 6 RBs is casual B.S. fans use because they havent done homework on ALL of the prospects.

Exactly...that Philly running game in the SB was a sight to see...wave after wave of talented, fresh legs running behind that OL..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Naismith wrote:
MJW wrote:

I don't get that vibe but I have no way of knowing for sure. I think they take him because Koetter is an old school coach that thinks that's how you build a team and because Licht will feel like he filled the glaring holes and can take any position.

What exactly has Koetter done to support this opinion of him?
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Exactly...that Philly running game in the SB was a sight to see...wave after wave of talented, fresh legs running behind that OL..

Running backs tend to "get" more talented when you can run block as well as they can.
MJW

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 pm

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

Running backs tend to "get" more talented when you can run block as well as they can.

Like you always say...if you can block, you can run the ball. If we were to draft Nelson and complete our oline...we could probably get 1K out of most RBs. Even random 5th round rookie would probably look really good(assuming they're not stupid like McNichols and can actually read/learn a playbook)
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 pm

MJW wrote:BTW, aren't you the guy who said Dalvin Cook was one of the best running back prospects ever? You know, 2nd rounder Dalvin Cook?

Cook was a heck of a prospect. The fact he tore his knee last year has nothing to do with anything. He was looking great before the injury if you recall. As well, he fell in the draft due mostly to questionable character concerns.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:BTW, aren't you the guy who said Dalvin Cook was one of the best running back prospects ever? You know, 2nd rounder Dalvin Cook?

Cook was a heck of a prospect. The fact he tore his knee last year has nothing to do with anything. He was looking great before the injury if you recall. As well, he fell in the draft due mostly to questionable character concerns.

You touted a mid-second rounder as a generation prospect. That's hardly the dumbest hill anyone has ever died on, but you died on it all the same.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Cook was a heck of a prospect. The fact he tore his knee last year has nothing to do with anything. He was looking great before the injury if you recall. As well, he fell in the draft due mostly to questionable character concerns.

You touted a mid-second rounder as a generation prospect. That's hardly the dumbest hill anyone has ever died on, but you died on it all the same.

I never called him a generational prospect so...
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk