Bradley Chubb falls to 7?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Bradley Chubb falls to 7?

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Naismith wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Both the Jets and Indy were already picking before us. This doesn’t effect our chances of landing Chubb.

Yes it does. It hurt badly. It kept the Colts ahead of the Bucs rather than dropping down to the Bills pick and made a trade up for the Bills less appealing. The Bucs needed the Bills to trade up to 3. It could still happen, but this deal hurt the chances real bad.

So then, it didn't hurt us. It just didn't help us.

I tend to agree with the caveat that a guard at 6 might be easier to swallow than one at 3. They may have fallen back intending to take Nelson at 6 and feeling confident he'll be there.
terrytate

Postby Sammich » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Even if they wanted Chubb getting 3 seconds and Nelson instead is a good trade for a building team. Hell, they may still get Chubb.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Yeah, it doesn't really change anything for us except now we know for sure one QB is going in front of us, likely 3. Which works very well for us. That means one of the three elite players or Chubbs will be there when we pick, which works well for me. I could not be happier. Thanks Jets.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 am

Doctor wrote:Yeah, it doesn't really change anything for us except now we know for sure one QB is going in front of us, likely 3. Which works very well for us. That means one of the three elite players or Chubbs will be there when we pick, which works well for me. I could not be happier. Thanks Jets.

The Jets trade certainly helps the Bucs. It moves the Jets up and now raises the chances they draft a QB. Which was less likely when they were at 6.

Any move that increases the chances that more QBs go top 6 is good for the Bucs. The Jets move falls into that category, so it's a positive imo.

Just need the Bills or Cards to package something up and get inside the top 4 and I'll feel great about whose on the board at 7.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 am

Sammich wrote:Even if they wanted Chubb getting 3 seconds and Nelson instead is a good trade for a building team. Hell, they may still get Chubb.

Sure would have liked to get a deal like this!
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Sammich wrote:Even if they wanted Chubb getting 3 seconds and Nelson instead is a good trade for a building team. Hell, they may still get Chubb.

Sure would have liked to get a deal like this!

We may have if we finished 2-14 last season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Luck it in fellas.

1. Darnold
2. Rosen
3. Mayfield
4. Barkley
5. Allen

That leaves the Colts been us and Fitz, Nelson, or Chubbs. While I would be happy with Chubbs it would really be hard to swallow passing on either of the other two.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:02 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The Jets trade certainly helps the Bucs. It moves the Jets up and now raises the chances they draft a QB. Which was less likely when they were at 6.

It's terrible for the Bucs, at least in relation to Chubb. They needed a new QB needy team to jump up there, not one that was already ahead of them. And they needed to get ahead of the Colts. Bills to three was the money move for the Bucs. It got the Colts, switching to a 4-3, out from ahead of them and had five QB needy teams in the top six. It guaranteed that four QBs were going ahead of them and that the two teams that didn't take a QB (two of Cleveland, Denver and NYJ) were less likely than the Colts to take Chubb.

Colts staying at six most likely puts that as the lowest Chubb will drop, barring some other issues popping up like an injury or smoking weed from a riot gear gas mask. It pretty much guarantees the Bucs need to rely on other trades (their own or team moving up with Indy) whereas Buffalo moving to three gave them a shot at 7.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Naismith wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:The Jets trade certainly helps the Bucs. It moves the Jets up and now raises the chances they draft a QB. Which was less likely when they were at 6.

It's terrible for the Bucs, at least in relation to Chubb. They needed a new QB needy team to jump up there, not one that was already ahead of them. And they needed to get ahead of the Colts. Bills to three was the money move for the Bucs. It got the Colts, switching to a 4-3, out from ahead of them and had five QB needy teams in the top six. It guaranteed that four QBs were going ahead of them and that the two teams that didn't take a QB (two of Cleveland, Denver and NYJ) were less likely than the Colts to take Chubb.

Colts staying at six most likely puts that as the lowest Chubb will drop, barring some other issues popping up like an injury or smoking weed from a riot gear gas mask. It pretty much guarantees the Bucs need to rely on other trades (their own or team moving up with Indy) whereas Buffalo moving to three gave them a shot at 7.

Wrong, it's fantastic for the Bucs.

Colts at 3 meant that the Browns could likely pass on QB and take a non-QB at 1, with only the Giants between them and likely the QB(s) they like anyway. Colts aren't picking QB. But now the odds of them missing out of their QB at 4 just skyrocketed. It's one thing if you have say QB 1A and 1B and you could possibly miss out on your 1A but still get 1B, but now that you could very well miss out out both, you force the Browns to take their 1A at the #1 spot.

This is good for us because instead of losing out on two elite non-QBs in the top three, we likely may only miss out on one (if that). That leaves more non-QBs for the Colts to choose from. More options for them means more leftover options for us.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes, obviously a QB needy team behind us jumping in front would have been better- but this doesn't preclude that from happening.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Doctor wrote:Yes, obviously a QB needy team behind us jumping in front would have been better- but this doesn't preclude that from happening.

Agreed, there is a difference between something being ideal or best case and it still being something that is positive. Obviously a QB needy team drafting after us trading up into the top 6 is ideal. But that doesn't make the Jets moving up a bad/negative thing. Like you said, it forces QBs to go early and often.

We've said all along the goal for the Bucs is to have four QB go top 6. It seems likely 3 will go off the board right away. Denver could take one at 5, or some team (including Denver) could try to get the Browns off the 4th overall spot.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:57 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Doctor wrote:Yes, obviously a QB needy team behind us jumping in front would have been better- but this doesn't preclude that from happening.

Agreed, there is a difference between something being ideal or best case and it still being something that is positive. Obviously a QB needy team drafting after us trading up into the top 6 is ideal. But that doesn't make the Jets moving up a bad/negative thing. Like you said, it forces QBs to go early and often.

We've said all along the goal for the Bucs is to have four QB go top 6. It seems likely 3 will go off the board right away. Denver could take one at 5, or some team (including Denver) could try to get the Browns off the 4th overall spot.

I think Denver does. They've sent way to much brass around to all these pro-days and they coached Allen during the senior bowl. The trick isn't a QB needy team taking a good QB, but just having one or two of the QBs a team likes being there when they pick. If the Broncos love Allen and Mayfield but not Rosen or Darnold, it doesn't do us much good if Mayfield and Allen are gone. It's just the luck of the puzzle pieces. I think it works out and it will be Fitz, Nelson, and Chubbs left out of the top 5, which means we actually get a pick at a top player. And we aren't paying much attention to them but the LBs in this draft are an impressive squad, I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts took Smith at #6 to be the heart of their new defense.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I still don't see how it's even good rather than ideal. The Bucs needed the Colts out from in front of them. Before the trade, four QBs were going before the Bucs pick. After the trade, four QBs are going before the Bucs pick. The important thing is who the non-QB teams are. If the Colts traded with, say, the Bills or Cardinals, the the Browns, Giants, Cards/Bills and Denver or NYJ would take QBs, meaning Cleveland and Denver or NYJ would be taking non-QBs. That's a much easier path to take for Chubb rather than getting by a team converting to a 4-3 that has a huge need at a vital position.
Naismith

Postby BucaRican » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:What don't people get? Barkley is a virtual lock at 1 - the Browns are rolling with Tyrod Taylor at QB. Then they are going BPA defense at #4.

With Tyrod Taylor
handing the ball off to Barkley
and throwing the ball to Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry
behind that pretty decent O-line
The Browns will be able to be in win-now mode for at least the next two years

They traded the top pick in the 3rd round for Taylor. The dude has a 91 career QB rating. Deshone Kizer threw 22 INT's last year. Tyrod has thrown 18 INT's his entire career

If the Browns don't stretch the capital they have this offseason out, and they waste their #1 overall pick on obtaining another QB it'll be such a god damn tirespinning Browns move. They got a guy that can lead an NFL offense. At some point they have to commit to a direction instead of these half-assed moves and plans for the future. I have a feeling they know that though, this offseason, and they won't be as dumb to waste the #1 overall pick on a QB controversy

Pretty simple to see. But its the Browns
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:What don't people get? Barkley is a virtual lock at 1 - the Browns are rolling with Tyrod Taylor at QB. Then they are going BPA defense at #4.

With Tyrod Taylor
handing the ball off to Barkley
and throwing the ball to Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry
behind that pretty decent O-line
The Browns will be able to be in win-now mode for at least the next two years

They traded the top pick in the 3rd round for Taylor. The dude has a 91 career QB rating. Deshone Kizer threw 22 INT's last year. Tyrod has thrown 18 INT's his entire career

If the Browns don't stretch the capital they have this offseason out, and they waste their #1 overall pick on obtaining another QB it'll be such a god damn tirespinning Browns move. They got a guy that can lead an NFL offense. At some point they have to commit to a direction instead of these half-assed moves and plans for the future. I have a feeling they know that though, this offseason, and they won't be as dumb to waste the #1 overall pick on a QB controversy

Tyrod is on a 1yr contract, If he leaves the Browns will get 3rd or 4th as compensation since he'll sign a hefty contract so the 3rd they gave up for Taylor gets some ROI of almost equal value.

Whoever they draft can sit for a season like the Chiefs did w/ Mahomes. I don't think it will be QB controversy at all. Now if the Browns are sitting at 2 wins in November than I'm sure fans will want to see the QBOTF.

I'd bet Sam Darnold is a Brown come draft night as the #1 overall pick. Browns are in the drivers seat to get Barkley at 4th overall. If the Giants are dumb enough to draft Barkley 2nd then the Browns pick at 4th overall get even more valuable since it's 1 more QB that would be available for teams like the Bills, Cards, etc to trade up for.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 am

chubb is a tough dude

Jason Bourne

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am

I like Chubb and would be happy if we drafted him. But as an FSU fan, it does sting a little.
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 am

Guess this dream is dead. If this had any shot of happening, Licht doesn't trade for JPP.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

real bucs fan wrote:Guess this dream is dead. If this had any shot of happening, Licht doesn't trade for JPP.

Are you still operating under the misguided assumption that everyone knows who everyone will pick?
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Guess this dream is dead. If this had any shot of happening, Licht doesn't trade for JPP.

Are you still operating under the misguided assumption that everyone knows who everyone will pick?

Licht and the Giants were just at Chubbs Pro Day. Do the math.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 am

Teitan wrote:

He'll quickly change his narrative to Chubb probably won't be there at 7. Just like Nelson won't now because we signed Jensen...Its coming slowly. You know what's coming, Teitan.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

So was Bill Belichick. What is your point?

I’ll tell you what though. JPP and Chubb as our DE’s for the next 3 years? Good luck, NFCS QBs
Last edited by Teitan on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

I thought NC State had a pro day. When was Bradley Chubb's?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Licht and the Giants were just at Chubbs Pro Day. Do the math.

I’ll tell you what though. JPP and Chubb as our DE’s for the next 3 years? Good luck, NFCS QBs

The dreams dead amigo.

But JPP and Curry w/ Spence off the bench? That's pretty sweet too. PLUS whoever we taker at 7.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

The dreams dead amigo.

But JPP and Curry w/ Spence off the bench? That's pretty sweet too. PLUS whoever we taker at 7.

So you think if Chubb falls to 7 we won't take him?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The dreams dead amigo.

I'm saying he won't fall.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You don't know that. Stop saying you know that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm saying he won't fall.

You don't know that. Stop saying you know that.

I don't think he'll fall. Better?
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Okay but let's say he does fall, hypothetically. Do you think we'll pass on him?
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You don't know that. Stop saying you know that.

I don't think he'll fall. Better?

Much better. Apply "I think" to all your draft posts and we can have more gooder discussions.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk