The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of Denzel Ward. His height and arm length at the combine surprised me. 5'11" with long arms gives him more than enough length.


He's still 5'10" unless he had his legs stretched or something. And even that us generous.

5'10" and 7/8s
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
He's still 5'10" unless he had his legs stretched or something. And even that us generous.

5'10" and 7/8s


Of the eight cornerbacks in the Pro Bowl last year, only one was under 6'0" (Casey Hayward). The Pro Bowl isn't the be-all and end-all, obviously, but still. Shorter corners are going out of fashion in a big way.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:5'10" and 7/8s


Of the eight cornerbacks in the Pro Bowl last year, only one was under 6'0" (Casey Hayward). The Pro Bowl isn't the be-all and end-all, obviously, but still. Shorter corners are going out of fashion in a big way.



Everything is cyclical. RB's had gone out fashion, until they weren't. Tall receivers were the thing, until AB and OBJ. If a dude can play, a dude can play.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of Denzel Ward. His height and arm length at the combine surprised me. 5'11" with long arms gives him more than enough length.


He's still 5'10" unless he had his legs stretched or something. And even that us generous.


I think 11'4" was tops at the combine.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8932
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am

With the addition of JPP and no 3rd round pick the needs of the team shift to the secondary and of course RB when looking at our projected starters and depth.

I don't think the moves thus far change the draftboard for the Bucs at 7. I still think we should get the BPA at OL, DL, RB, or Secondary. My BB doesn't change at all. If Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley are there at 7 we should draft the one we like best.

Beyond that the moves along the Dline do make names like Ward, Fitz and Derwin James more likely or atleast plausible as EDGE is less of a desperate need. Which is a good thing imo since those DBs are all better prospects than Davenport, Landry, and Vea imo who I believe are just situational players right now whereas the secondary prospects are 3-down players.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 481 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

Really hoping we sign a safety, still some good ones in FA that could be had for cheap. At that point, I'm looking at a 4 man draft board at 7.

Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and Ward.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:00 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Really hoping we sign a safety, still some good ones in FA that could be had for cheap. At that point, I'm looking at a 4 man draft board at 7.

Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and Ward.

I agree, just replace Ward with Fitz.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

How would people feel about a Chubb/Hurst 1-2 punch in the draft.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:14 pm

I like Hurst a lot, but as a NT? Either way, that outcome would not upset me in the least. Actually, I'd really like it.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Doctor wrote:I like Hurst a lot, but as a NT? Either way, that outcome would not upset me in the least. Actually, I'd really like it.


As a rotating piece. Spelling McCoy in the short term. With McDonald gone we don't really have another 3T on the roster. And as much as we all love McCoy we all know about his injury problems.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:How would people feel about a Chubb/Hurst 1-2 punch in the draft.


I'd prefer Chubb/Settle....

Kid has vicious quickness for a man his size (REALLY reminds me of Sapp that way) and is bigger than Hurst...

I love that we are getting a lot bigger across the DL...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:I like Hurst a lot, but as a NT? Either way, that outcome would not upset me in the least. Actually, I'd really like it.


As a rotating piece. Spelling McCoy in the short term. With McDonald gone we don't really have another 3T on the roster. And as much as we all love McCoy we all know about his injury problems.


If we could get Hurst in the second, that would be monumental. At worst, he redshirts a year and learns from McCoy. At best, he's a rotational rusher and spell guy who's the next Aaron Donald.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:How would people feel about a Chubb/Hurst 1-2 punch in the draft.


I'd prefer Chubb/Settle....

Kid has vicious quickness for a man his size (REALLY reminds me of Sapp that way) and is bigger than Hurst...

I love that we are getting a lot bigger across the DL...


We're three deep at nose with our two free agents and Stevie, while being one deep at UT. Hurst would be WAY better for overall depth purposes.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Cheb wrote:
Super K wrote:
I'd prefer Chubb/Settle....

Kid has vicious quickness for a man his size (REALLY reminds me of Sapp that way) and is bigger than Hurst...

I love that we are getting a lot bigger across the DL...


We're three deep at nose with our two free agents and Stevie, while being one deep at UT. Hurst would be WAY better for overall depth purposes.


Having watched Settle a bunch, there is no doubt in my mind he can play UT...and I think he could play it DAMN well...

Plus he is big enough/strong enough to still play NT...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Super K wrote:
Cheb wrote:
We're three deep at nose with our two free agents and Stevie, while being one deep at UT. Hurst would be WAY better for overall depth purposes.


Having watched Settle a bunch, there is no doubt in my mind he can play UT...and I think he could play it DAMN well...

Plus he is big enough/strong enough to still play NT...


So you would rather have Settle than Hurst, assuming both are there in the second? Interesting.

I'll admit that Settle has very good movement skills and I think he's a good player, but there's a reason Hurst was consistently mocked in the top 15 prior to his abnormal EKG at the combine. He's the next great penetrating interior lineman, and he's the closest thing this draft has to Gerald McCoy.

Not that there's a true right or wrong answer here, it's more stylistic preference.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:How would people feel about a Chubb/Hurst 1-2 punch in the draft.


I'd prefer Chubb/Settle....

Kid has vicious quickness for a man his size (REALLY reminds me of Sapp that way) and is bigger than Hurst...

I love that we are getting a lot bigger across the DL...


Settle would be nice. But as Cheb said we put quite a few resources into the nose position. I don't know about Settle as a 3T than Hurst. Yes he's small but he's pretty powerful and can handle himself in the trenches. I also think he's a better pass rusher than Settle is.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm higher on Settle than most, but would take Hurst over him assuming his medical (heart) checks out. The Bucs are lacking interior Dlinemen that can provide pass rush outside of McCoy and Hurst would be perfect as our 4th DT and McCoy's back-up. We could put them together on passing downs at DT.

I just love Settle b/c he's young (20) and has very impressive movement skills for a 6'3" 335lb guy. Just loads of potential there for a guy you might be able to get in round 3.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 481 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I'm higher on Settle than most, but would take Hurst over him assuming his medical (heart) checks out. The Bucs are lacking interior Dlinemen that can provide pass rush outside of McCoy and Hurst would be perfect as our 4th DT and McCoy's back-up. We could put them together on passing downs at DT.

I just love Settle b/c he's young (20) and has very impressive movement skills for a 6'3" 335lb guy. Just loads of potential there for a guy you might be able to get in round 3.

Cardiologists at Harvard and the University of Michigan have cleared Michigan DT Maurice Hurst to resume playing football.

Hurst was diagnosed with a heart condition at the NFL Combine, which prevented him from participating in on-field drills. After he was cleared by two sets of heart doctors, Hurst will perform a full workout in front of NFL teams at Michigan's Pro Day on Friday. On game tape, Hurst is arguably a top-ten prospect in this draft. He is a poor man's Aaron Donald at 6-foot-1, 292.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Doctor wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I'm higher on Settle than most, but would take Hurst over him assuming his medical (heart) checks out. The Bucs are lacking interior Dlinemen that can provide pass rush outside of McCoy and Hurst would be perfect as our 4th DT and McCoy's back-up. We could put them together on passing downs at DT.

I just love Settle b/c he's young (20) and has very impressive movement skills for a 6'3" 335lb guy. Just loads of potential there for a guy you might be able to get in round 3.

Cardiologists at Harvard and the University of Michigan have cleared Michigan DT Maurice Hurst to resume playing football.

Hurst was diagnosed with a heart condition at the NFL Combine, which prevented him from participating in on-field drills. After he was cleared by two sets of heart doctors, Hurst will perform a full workout in front of NFL teams at Michigan's Pro Day on Friday. On game tape, Hurst is arguably a top-ten prospect in this draft. He is a poor man's Aaron Donald at 6-foot-1, 292.


I saw that report. Just like Vea I don't see Hurst as a favorable for the Bucs at 7 compared to that else will be there and I don't think either will be there for the Bucs in round 2 so I really haven't given either much thought. But if either are still there at 38 I think it would have to be seriously considered. I like Hurst over Vea given the moves the Bucs have made with Allen and Unrein. I'm not as high on Vea as others since I'm not optimistic he offers much as a pass rusher which lowers his value when we're talking about a top 10 pick.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 481 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm

The only pick I'll be disappointed with at 7 that we realistically have a shot at is Barkley.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:The only pick I'll be disappointed with at 7 that we realistically have a shot at is Barkley.

Will be interesting to look back on this statement...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
As a rotating piece. Spelling McCoy in the short term. With McDonald gone we don't really have another 3T on the roster. And as much as we all love McCoy we all know about his injury problems.


If we could get Hurst in the second, that would be monumental. At worst, he redshirts a year and learns from McCoy. At best, he's a rotational rusher and spell guy who's the next Aaron Donald.

I like Hurst, but he's not even close to Donalds level athletically...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:The only pick I'll be disappointed with at 7 that we realistically have a shot at is Barkley.


I wouldn't be. But that said I hope and believe he'll be gone before we draft at 7.

But he fell to 7 and Chubb is off the board than I'd be very intrigued to see Barkley in our offense with weapons and QB we have.

Not ideal, but nothing to be disappointed with imo. Barkley is going to be a great player for some team. I just think it's easier to find great RBs on day 2 than it is for almost any other position. But the Bucs have big hole at RB and stud like Barkley would certainly address it.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 481 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:
If we could get Hurst in the second, that would be monumental. At worst, he redshirts a year and learns from McCoy. At best, he's a rotational rusher and spell guy who's the next Aaron Donald.

I like Hurst, but he's not even close to Donalds level athletically...


True but who is at that position? No one. Hurst would be a steal at 38. Absolute steal.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:The only pick I'll be disappointed with at 7 that we realistically have a shot at is Barkley.


I wouldn't be. But that said I hope and believe he'll be gone before we draft at 7.

But he fell to 7 and Chubb is off the board than I'd be very intrigued to see Barkley in our offense with weapons and QB we have.

Not ideal, but nothing to be disappointed with imo. Barkley is going to be a great player for some team. I just think it's easier to find great RBs on day 2 than it is for almost any other position. But the Bucs have big hole at RB and stud like Barkley would certainly address it.


That's my point. Great RBs annually come from all points of the draft. Build a line and watch any RB go to work. Nothing against Barkley but I would rather get an impact type defensive player or Nelson at 7 and address RB later.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 pm

My dream draft after our offseason FA moves would have to be:

1Chubb
2Hernandez
3
4Ballage
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:The only pick I'll be disappointed with at 7 that we realistically have a shot at is Barkley.


I don't think we realistically even have a shot at him. I think Cleveland is snatching him up at 4. But I agree, not really a good idea. If Nelson isn't there at 7, draft one of the secondary guys and then get a RB in round two.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I like Hurst, but he's not even close to Donalds level athletically...


True but who is at that position? No one. Hurst would be a steal at 38. Absolute steal.

No doubt, but I don't think you can say his upside is Donald since Donald can simply do stuff physically Hurst can only dream of.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
True but who is at that position? No one. Hurst would be a steal at 38. Absolute steal.

No doubt, but I don't think you can say his upside is Donald since Donald can simply do stuff physically Hurst can only dream of.


Okay well then his upside is McCoy. Crazy 1st step, good penetrating 3T. He'd be ideal for this system.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21965
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:No doubt, but I don't think you can say his upside is Donald since Donald can simply do stuff physically Hurst can only dream of.


Okay well then his upside is McCoy. Crazy 1st step, good penetrating 3T. He'd be ideal for this system.

I wouldn't quite go that far either. Hurst actually kind of reminds me of Brian Price... before injuries ruined him.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 109 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests