The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Naismith wrote:Is Chubb considered a dominant pass rushing DE candidate? I hadn't seen that kind of excitement about him, though I don't watch college football and haven't formed my own opinion on him yet.

He's not the freak that Clowney or Garrett were, but ultimately I think he's going to be incredibly impactful. I compare him prospect wise to Joey Bosa. He probably won't ever lead the league in sacks, but he'll be among the leaders year in and year out, while giving you top notch play against the run as well. He's really friggin good.
real bucs fan

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:35 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Naismith wrote:Is Chubb considered a dominant pass rushing DE candidate? I hadn't seen that kind of excitement about him, though I don't watch college football and haven't formed my own opinion on him yet.

He's not the freak that Clowney or Garrett were, but ultimately I think he's going to be incredibly impactful. I compare him prospect wise to Joey Bosa. He probably won't ever lead the league in sacks, but he'll be among the leaders year in and year out, while giving you top notch play against the run as well. He's really friggin good.

His most valuable attribute to me is the attitude he plays with on the field. We need some dogs on this team. He's certainly that. Attitude is also the reason that I wouldn't touch Key in the second or even third, and would be incredibly leery of Davenport.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Players I could start liking real soon.

Marcell Frazier
Missouri

Chad Thomas
Miami (FL)

Trevon Young
Louisville

Lorenzo Carter
Georgia

Duke Ejiofor
Wake Forest

Tyquan Lewis
Ohio State

Sam Hubbard
Ohio State
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I would say that Chubb is an excellent pass rusher with outstanding football character, without being a super dominant athlete. He won't blow your skirt up if you are looking strictly at measurables. I don't expect his combine results to be spectacular.

I'd compare him to Derek Barnett, but stronger and better against the run. Both are productive and super polished guys who have very impressive collegiate film, without being the athletic specimens that you often see at the top of the draft.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm

The thing about Chubb that is that fire in his belly , he has that eye of the tiger thing that can't be taught , plays with intensity and can get the QB and stop the run . Complete package. It was said earlier but he is a dog
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 am

Cheb wrote:

I would say that Chubb is an excellent pass rusher with outstanding football character, without being a super dominant athlete. He won't blow your skirt up if you are looking strictly at measurables. I don't expect his combine results to be spectacular.

I'd compare him to Derek Barnett, but stronger and better against the run. Both are productive and super polished guys who have very impressive collegiate film, without being the athletic specimens that you often see at the top of the draft.

Honestly...he reminds me a lot of Taco Charlton. Not "statistically"...going simply on my eyes. I view him as the motor of Charlton...better than say...Clowney, coming out.

He may take a year or two to develop...but I think he's the real deal. A legit, 2-way DE.

He also reminds me of Taco in the way he could DOMINATE games. Clowney (for example) would make highlight plays, every game or 3...Chubb is there EVERY game (especially against the run). You see him all the time.

He'll be the first defensive player off the board. The Bucs have no shot. Moving on...
Alpha

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 am

Agree with the last several posts. The guy just keeps showing up, snap to snap. He's not an athletic marvel like Clowney or Mack or Garrett. But he just keeps showing up, in the backfield, at the POA, on the edge, wherever.

And, like Alpha said, he won't be there at #7.

The good news is, whatever your Plan B might be, there's a decent chance that'll work out.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:45 am

Jason Bourne wrote:The thing about Chubb that is that fire in his belly , he has that eye of the tiger thing that can't be taught , plays with intensity and can get the QB and stop the run . Complete package. It was said earlier but he is a dog

The question is, how good does that fire burn when faced up to tougher NFL tackles?
mdb1958

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:17 am

Anyone catch Luke Easterling's latest mock? It's pretty interesting. A quick recap:

The worst possible scenario for us happens in picks 1-6: only 2 QBs go, and Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick & Barkley are off the board, leaving us stranded at 7.

So he has Buffalo trade up to our spot to take Baker Mayfield. Looks like we receive both of Buffalo's 1st round picks & their 2nd round pick.

So we end up with Derwin James (21st overall), Da'Ron Payne (22nd), Arden Key (38th), and Nick Chubb (53rd) in the first round.

Thoughts?
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 am

I’d be ok with that.

Imagine now that it works out that way, and we got Norwell and Trumaine Johnson in FA.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am

pewterpirates wrote:Anyone catch Luke Easterling's latest mock? It's pretty interesting. A quick recap:

The worst possible scenario for us happens in picks 1-6: only 2 QBs go, and Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick & Barkley are off the board, leaving us stranded at 7.

So he has Buffalo trade up to our spot to take Baker Mayfield. Looks like we receive both of Buffalo's 1st round picks & their 2nd round pick.

So we end up with Derwin James (21st overall), Da'Ron Payne (22nd), Arden Key (38th), and Nick Chubb (53rd) in the first round.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are Derwin James at 21 would be an absolute steal but I don't see him falling that far. Not even close. Payne at 22 is a big reach. I'd take Key there before Payne. Not a fan of Nick Chubb.

In that scenario, stay put at 7 and take James, Ward, McGlinchy, Josh Jackson etc. Missing out on this boards perceived top 4 non QBs isn't the end of the world. Who decided this arbitrary number of 4 best prospects anyway? Why not 5 or 7 or 10 best?
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Anyone catch Luke Easterling's latest mock? It's pretty interesting. A quick recap:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are Derwin James at 21 would be an absolute steal but I don't see him falling that far. Not even close. Payne at 22 is a big reach. I'd take Key there before Payne. Not a fan of Nick Chubb.

In that scenario, stay put at 7 and take James, Ward, McGlinchy, Josh Jackson etc. Missing out on this boards perceived top 4 non QBs isn't the end of the world. Who decided this arbitrary number of 4 best prospects anyway? Why not 5 or 7 or 10 best?

This board's perceived top 4 ... or just about every draft expert's board everywhere. But sure...

If you're gonna bitch about something like that, is your top 7 or top 10 all on the same tier? (Hint: no.)
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

This board's perceived top 4 ... or just about every draft expert's board everywhere. But sure...

If you're gonna bitch about something like that, is your top 7 or top 10 all on the same tier? (Hint: no.)

That's not my question. My question is why does it stop at 4? Why is it a "worst case scenario" if we miss out on one of these 4 guys? Why isn't it worst case if we miss out on 2 of them or 3 of them? Or why isn't it "we have to have one of the top 6 or 7 prospects"?? Who decided that these 4 are the only prospects who can help us?

The fact that instead of answering the questions or attempting to answer you chose to cherry pick 1 small aspect of my post only displays how much of a puppet you are. You don't know anything other than what others tell you, like every draft expert(your words).
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am

Bootz2004 wrote:you chose to cherry pick 1 small aspect of my post.

I mean, let’s be honest here. You do this almost daily.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:46 am

The "big 4" isn't an arbitrary number. It just so happens this year there are 4 bluechip guys, which means these 4 players have high floors and high ceilings. All 4 guys have the potential to be elite at their position, while at the very least should be above average. Obviously injuries and character red flag can happen to anyone, but so far none of those 4 guys have any concerns in those regards whatsoever. These 4 players are simultaneously safe yet have huge upside. Picking at 7, we should be hoping to land 1 of them. If all 4 are off the board, we will either have to gamble on a player (like a Davenport or Key), take a player with a less upside (Vita Vea for example), or trade down.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm

I think what Bootz is getting at is that every fan base without the #1 overall pick looks at the draft thinking all the good prospects are just out of their reach.

If the Bucs had the 10th pick who would we like as a board?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I think what Bootz is getting at is that every fan base without the #1 overall pick looks at the draft thinking all the good prospects are just out of their reach.

Exactly. If we picked 10th I bet there'd be a "big 5 or 6". What RBF said was completely made up. There's not just 4 prospects every year with high ceiling and floors. There's always way more.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Thoughts?

I like it. Given that scenario of how the top prospects shake out, I would gladly take that trade. Per the draft chart, we'd come out ahead, which is always good. I approve of most of the prospects he picked for us.

His full four rounder for us:

1a: Derwin James, SS, Florida State. Day one starter at strong safety. Has a bit of an injury history, and there were rumors about his love of the game, but on the field he's looked pretty solid. When paired with Evans, we can safely lock down safety for the next three years.
1b: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama. I have gone on record saying he's a BAMF, and I stand by that. If we get scheme versatile with more 3-4 looks or we want him to two-gap, he can do that easily. The only thing he lacks is elite explosiveness. I'd love this selection.
2a: Arden Key, DE, LSU. Very boom/bust. If he stays healthy and doesn't get fat, I think this could be the steal of the draft. If he doesn't, he's Bowers 2.0
2b: Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia. He's not the best athlete, but he's got some wiggle. I admire that he doesn't avoid contact, and he does a great job of getting north/south. He's not the home run hitter some may want, but I think he would do a great job of giving us manageable third downs. Some people may be sad because he isn't the next Alvin Kamara, but I think he will be a good NFL player.
3: Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford. I get it. He has some size to him (6'2", 197lb), experience (30 starts), and his dad has been a NFL DB coach for 20 years. He shows an admirable physicality. That said, I don't think he has the coverage chops to be an NFL corner anytime soon. His backpedal needs work, his footwork is sloppy, his hips are tight, and he plays hesitantly. In the right system and with time, I think he could be alright, but my expectations would start pretty low with him.
4: Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia. Raw as uncooked dough. He's big (6'7") but light (278lb). He was kicked off of the Longhorns after being suspended twice for violating team rules. He finishes blocks well, but that's about it. He needs at least one year before I'd trust him in the NFL. Maybe two years. We could do better in the fourth round.

That's a pretty good start. I'd finish it with...

5: Will Richardson, OG/OT, North Carolina State. Another boom or bust. He has issues in the past related to weed, was suspended the first two games of this year for it. When he came back at right tackle, he didn't allow a QB pressure or sack for eleven games. He made a few All-American teams, and looks pretty good on the football field. He may have to shift inside to guard, but I think that's not a horrible thing for him. He's more power than finesse anyway, and can struggle in space against smaller rushers.
6a: Joe Ostman, DE, Central Michigan. Yeah, his predraft measurables will suck, but he led the country in sacks. He may not ever be an every down lineman in the NFL, but I think he could offer good snaps in the rotation. I could coach him into a position to succeed.
6b: Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State. A former quarterback (interesting, I know) who blocked for the leading rusher in the NCAA two years running. Check out film of Donnel Pumphrey last year or Rashaad Penny this year, and you'll see Bawden's work. The man makes some holes. If you want to get cute, you can do some skullduggery with him passing the ball as well. He offers versatility on special teams.
7a: JT Barrett, QB, Ohio State. He needs work as a passer, we all can admit that. His short passing is pretty on point, but his long ball is a stinker. I'm willing to overlook his passing deficits, because he's productive, has good character, and performs well under pressure. He's a pocket passer who generally makes good decisions, and has the wheels to make things happen if need be. I think he would be well served in a position where he's not asked to start anytime soon. Give him a few years and I think he'd be a decent NFL quarterback. He offers versatility in short-yardage and redzone packages.

Thoughts?
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I think what Bootz is getting at is that every fan base without the #1 overall pick looks at the draft thinking all the good prospects are just out of their reach.

If we were picking 10th... the guys I'd be looking at would be Josh Jackson and Derwin James.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Exactly. If we picked 10th I bet there'd be a "big 5 or 6". What RBF said was completely made up. There's not just 4 prospects every year with high ceiling and floors. There's always way more.

That's not what I said, that's just how I view it this year. And seems most who follow the draft agree. But by all means, continue being the contrarian if it makes you feel special.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

That's not what I said, that's just how I view it this year. And seems most who follow the draft agree. But by all means, continue being the contrarian if it makes you feel special.

Contrarian to who? You think most people feel that ONLY 4 prospects in this draft have high floors and ceilings???
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:That's not what I said, that's just how I view it this year. And seems most who follow the draft agree. But by all means, continue being the contrarian if it makes you feel special.

Contrarian to who? You think most people feel that ONLY 4 prospects in this draft have high floors and ceilings???

There are 4 blue chippers in this draft. That's my opinion. Lots agree. Prove me wrong or STFU.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Kirk Herbsreit will be taking Jon Gruden's place for ESPN's draft coverage.

I think this is a great idea. College commentators should be in there just as much as the pro guys.

College guy: "This is a great young talent from Whatsammata U and brings skill at his position"

Pro guy: "I agree and the Buccaneers will really benefit because they were last in the league stopping the run on Tuesday night games"

**** like that.

All that being said, I'll be watching Mayock on NFLN.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

There are 4 blue chippers in this draft. That's my opinion. Lots agree. Prove me wrong or STFU.

I don't have to prove you wrong because you already are. There's more than 4, buddy. Trust me. You only see 4 because you don't have the ability to scout, breakdown tape, grade attributes etc. You only go off of what the "experts" tell you.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:There are 4 blue chippers in this draft. That's my opinion. Lots agree. Prove me wrong or STFU.

I don't have to prove you wrong because you already are. There's more than 4, buddy. Trust me. You only see 4 because you don't have the ability to scout, breakdown tape, grade attributes etc. You only go off of what the "experts" tell you.

So almighty oracle, name these other blue chippers. And go!
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Kirk Herbsreit will be taking Jon Gruden's place for ESPN's draft coverage.

I think this is a great idea. College commentators should be in there just as much as the pro guys.

College guy: "This is a great young talent from Whatsammata U and brings skill at his position"

Pro guy: "I agree and the Buccaneers will really benefit because they were last in the league stopping the run on Tuesday night games"

**** like that.

That’s good to hear, I really enjoyed Gruden on ESPN but since he’s gone there’s not a ton of personality going on between Kiper and Mcshay. I think Kirk will do a great job and I’m excited to see him in that realm.

Any word yet on who’s taking Grudens spot for MNF? Hasselbeck put me to sleep
Konatown

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Konatown wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Kirk Herbsreit will be taking Jon Gruden's place for ESPN's draft coverage.

**** like that.

That’s good to hear, I really enjoyed Gruden on ESPN but since he’s gone there’s not a ton of personality going on between Kiper and Mcshay. I think Kirk will do a great job and I’m excited to see him in that realm.

Any word yet on who’s taking Grudens spot for MNF? Hasselbeck put me to sleep

If he hadn't moved on to GM the 49ers, I'd pound the table for John Lynch.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

I guess this is a bad time to mention that Bosa has come a lot closer to leading the league in sacks that Clowney or Garrett ever have....
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Not a single blue chipper mentioned, but I ain't surprised motherfuckers
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Barkley, James, Vea, Key, Davenport, Josh Jackson, Ward, Darnold, Mayfield, Roquan Smith, Edmunds to name a few, buddy. And again..

Bootz2004 wrote:I guess this is a bad time to mention that Bosa has come a lot closer to leading the league in sacks that Clowney or Garrett ever have....
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk