College Football Playoff

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: College football playoff poll.

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Alpha wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
Except for last year...

Don't misconstrue...there are always outliers.

I'm speaking in generalities.

There’s a good chance of it happening this year, too.
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:SOS for top teams (from Sagarin)

5 - ND
12 - Clemson
34 - Oklahoma
36 - Auburn
41 - Miami
47 - Georgia
49 - Ohio State
55 - Wisconsin
63 - Alabama
90 - UCF

What is that based on? Shocking to see how low the Tide are playing in the mighty SEC.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm

I think he does opponents record and opponents opponents record.
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:SOS for top teams (from Sagarin)

5 - ND
12 - Clemson
34 - Oklahoma
36 - Auburn
41 - Miami
47 - Georgia
49 - Ohio State
55 - Wisconsin
63 - Alabama
90 - UCF

What is that based on? Shocking to see how low the Tide are playing in the mighty SEC.

Outside of Bama, UGA and Auburn...the SEC is pretty mediocre and don't play many good teams this year. ND. FSU...which turned out to be garbage. Who else?

You could argue that the Big 10/12 and Pac 10 are more difficult conferences, from top to bottom than the SEC. The ACC is clearly having a down year and probably the weakest conference of the 5. I'd argue the SEC is right behind...
Alpha

Postby Kress » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Strength of schedule really doesn't mean all that much at this point. Yeah, it is what it is because the media tells us that we have to rank weekly. But we are facing rivalry and championship games that will alter that substantially. Auburn beats Alabama who then beats Georgia, etc. Miami and Clemson square off. Clemson wins, of course. Chokes them out with that chain. Ohio State with Michigan and Wisconsin. But maybe someone lost in the interim? You get the point.

Who knows what any of these teams will be "ranked" strength-wise at the end of the day in order to compare them against each other. We have to wait and see.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Kress wrote:Strength of schedule really doesn't mean all that much at this point. Yeah, it is what it is because the media tells us that we have to rank weekly. But we are facing rivalry and championship games that will alter that substantially. Auburn beats Alabama who then beats Georgia, etc. Miami and Clemson square off. Clemson wins, of course. Ohio State with Michigan and Wisconsin. But maybe someone lost in the interim? You get the point.

Who knows what any of these teams will be "ranked" strength-wise at the end of the day in order to compare them against each other. We have to wait and see.

This.
This. It almost always works itself out.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm

I say:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin

Auburn, Miami, and UCF get screwed. Then again, the committee might put UCF in just for legitimacy's sake. Clemson might get bumped for that due to the Syracuse loss and the fact that nobody really wants to see version 3 of this. Then again, the "rubber match" storyline might be good media fodder.

Who knows. But I'm with Alpha... CHAOS!

Also, lol that UCF keeps getting auto corrected to UFC every time I write it.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm

The only way there will be controversy is if they have to go to a 2 loss team

SEC winner
ACC winner
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

I can see a real possibility of either Wisc or Oklahoma losing in their conference championship games
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 am

Kress wrote:Miami and Clemson square off. Clemson wins, of course. Chokes them out with that chain.

LOL!

That's verbatim what a ND player said.

Let's see how that works out for ya.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:10 am

Kress wrote:I say:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin

Auburn, Miami, and UCF get screwed. Then again, the committee might put UCF in just for legitimacy's sake. Clemson might get bumped for that due to the Syracuse loss and the fact that nobody really wants to see version 3 of this. Then again, the "rubber match" storyline might be good media fodder.

Apparently, your phone also "auto-corrected" "Clemson", when you were typing "Miami".
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13 am

Zarniwoop wrote:The only way there will be controversy is if they have to go to a 2 loss team

SEC winner
ACC winner
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

I can see a real possibility of either Wisc or Oklahoma losing in their conference championship games

Wow...that's a hot take if I ever heard one.

Let me guess...there's also a "real possibility" that Alabama/Auburn/UGA could lose their championship game as well? Maybe Stanford/USC/Washington/Washington St. could as well?

:roll:
Alpha

Postby Kress » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 am

Alpha wrote:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin

Apparently, your phone also "auto-corrected" "Clemson", when you were typing "Miami".

:boxing:
Kress

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 am

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin

There is no chance the committee puts UCF in. They could win their remaining games by 400 points and they *may* crack the top 10.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 am

Kress wrote:
Alpha wrote:

:boxing:

I've never made a sig bet...in all my years...on ANY incarnation of these boards.

I think it might be time to change that...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 am

My point was that the ONLY teams that have beef are undefeated teams.

If you have one or two losses, then stfu and take what you get. There is no argument to be made for a team getting left out, if you've lost a game. Don't lose that game and you don't get left out.

Same applies if you have one loss and get left out for a team that has 2.

And this is why I am against making this an 8 team playoff.

Can y'all imagine the bitching and moaning from the number 9/10/11 teams? And at THAT point, it just becomes stupid and ridiculous.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Tonight:

1 Alabama
2 Miami
3 Clemson
4 Oklahoma
5 Wisconsin
6 Auburn
7 Georgia
8 Notre Dame

I'll stop there, because like we said, many de facto playoff matches to come in rivalry and championship weeks. This is just media fodder nonsense at this point.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 am

Kress wrote:Tonight:

1 Alabama
2 Miami
3 Clemson
4 Oklahoma
5 Wisconsin
6 Auburn
7 Georgia
8 Notre Dame

I'll stop there, because like we said, many de facto playoff matches to come in rivalry and championship weeks. This is just media fodder nonsense at this point.

My only change would be Wisconsin at 4 (Oklahoma at 5) but as you've said (paraphrasing)...**** will shake out over the next week or so.

ALA lose to AUB. AUB lose to GA

OK lose to TCU

WIS lose to OSU

MIA lose to CLEM

ND lose to STAN

UCF lose to USF

And watch the shit-show begin as all of the other one or two loss teams bitch about getting left out...LMFAO!!!
Alpha

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:45 pm

8 of the top 10 are on the road. For rivalry week. Of the 2 that are not, one is playing another top 10 rival. Woooooo!
Kress

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Alpha wrote:
ALA lose to AUB. AUB lose to GA

OK lose to TCU

WIS lose to OSU

MIA lose to CLEM

ND lose to STAN

UCF lose to USF

My votes:

Auburn beats both Alabama and Georgia. I think that they are better than both. But then they have lost to Clemson, so that will make for good conversation. Hmmmm.

Oklahoma will beat up on TCU. With extreme prejudice. I really don't see it with TCU. They seem over-hyped.

Agree on the Wisconsin loss at this point.

Clemson does beat Miami. You know that I would say this. Because it's true, and I speak the truth. You're going down. This of course is assuming that Clemson gets by South Carolina first, which frankly scares me. That foregone conclusion of a meaningful showdown also presumes that Miami will get by Pitt in a cold weather road game, which should also scare you.

Notre Dame beats Stanford just because they are Notre Dame and they like to muck things up irrationally.

I really don't see USF beating UCF. Like you said, take the over in that game because it might end 90-86, but UCF still wins. Not that it will likely be relevant, the more I look at this mess, but.... I take UCF.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Kress wrote:8 of the top 10 are on the road. For rivalry week. Of the 2 that are not, one is playing another top 10 rival. Woooooo!

best weekend in all of football...pro or college.

i just wished army / navy was this weekend too.
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Kress wrote:
i just wished army / navy was this weekend too.

You and me both. I'm going to that game in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

As for the playoff poll, I think it's spot on. There's nothing I would change with the exception of maybe USC over Ohio State and Penn State. I think USC has looked strong the last month as they've gotten healthy.

Basically this is how it will look:
1) The SEC Champ is in
2) The Big 10 Champ is in (Ohio State/Wisconsin winner)
3) The ACC Champ is in (Miami/Clemson winner)
4) Oklahoma if they win out

The Doomsday scenario comes in IF Okahoma loses to TCU, which I don't think is as far fetched as people think. The game's in Dallas and will have more of a home feel for TCU. If that happens, then that gives hope to teams like Notre Dame, USC or Miami IF they were to lose that ACC Champ. I think Miami would be first choice if they lose to Clemson, but if Miami somehow beats Clemson, I think Clemson is knocked out and USC is given hope.

A lot of other crazy scenarios could play out, but that's the one crazy scenario that I don't think is far fetched.
NavyBuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 pm

A 1 loss bama or Miami has a better shot than Big 10 champ OSU IMO.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 pm

My nightmare scenario is Clemson losing to USC...and then beating Miami.

You could see a 2 loss Clemson get left out. That would suck balls for the ACC.

I ****ing detest ND...but I despise Ohio State even more. And it would break the little. clump of coal that is my heart, to see a 2 loss Ohio State team make it into the playoffs over a 2 loss Clemson team.

I agree with whoever posted it. Alabama isn't impressive...at least not like they have been. I think Auburn is playing the best ball in the SEC right now...and I think they beat Alabama. A re-match against UGA, on a neutral sight is a toss-up IMO. It'll be interesting to see what the committee does with a non-conference champ and 1 loss 'Bama.

Throw in either a Oklahoma loss and/or a Wisconsin loss...and you have all the makings of a chaotic, cluster ****...
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Alpha wrote:My nightmare scenario is Clemson losing to USC...and then beating Miami.

I ****ing detest ND...but I despise Ohio State even more. And it would break the little. clump of coal that is my heart, to see a 2 loss Ohio State team make it into the playoffs over a 2 loss Clemson team.

I agree with whoever posted it. Alabama isn't impressive...at least not like they have been. I think Auburn is playing the best ball in the SEC right now...and I think they beat Alabama. A re-match against UGA, on a neutral sight is a toss-up IMO. It'll be interesting to see what the committee does with a non-conference champ and 1 loss 'Bama.

Throw in either a Oklahoma loss and/or a Wisconsin loss...and you have all the makings of a chaotic, cluster ****...

Alpha, I want want want us to win, but since we lost Debo we've been one of the worst offenses in the nation. We win games from our defense. That's not enough against Clemson. I'm still hoping, but I don't see it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Alpha wrote:My nightmare scenario is Clemson losing to USC...and then beating Miami.

Alpha, I want want want us to win, but since we lost Debo we've been one of the worst offenses in the nation. We win games from our defense. That's not enough against Clemson. I'm still hoping, but I don't see it.

I don't see it either. By all rights, Clemson should (and I hope they do) crush S. Carolina. They are FAR more talented and better coached. And losing Debo (whoever the **** that is) doesn't mean diddly poo.

That said...it's a rivalry game. Talent and coaching isn't the be all/end all. And crazier **** has happened.

I just don't want it to happen then.
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:08 am

Debo Samuel was one of the best players in the country. Our offense fell off a cliff after he went out. If he were playing with the way our defense has been playing I’d actually have a little but of confidence. He’s that good.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 am

It just now occurred to me that Alabama can't lose twice. If they lose to Auburn this weekend, they don't go to the SEC championship. If they win, their only potential loss would be to Georgia in said championship.

So we are AT WORST going to be talking about a one loss Alabama, with that only loss being to either Auburn or Georgia. Egads. They're 75% in as of today. Maybe more.
Kress

Postby Super K » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:31 am

Kress wrote:It just now occurred to me that Alabama can't lose twice. If they lose to Auburn this weekend, they don't go to the SEC championship. If they win, their only potential loss would be to Georgia in said championship.

So we are AT WORST going to be talking about a one loss Alabama, with that only loss being to either Auburn or Georgia. Egads. They're 75% in as of today. Maybe more.

Bama is in...no doubt about it..

No way a 1 loss Bama team is left out UNLESS they get blown the **** out ie OSU vs Iowa...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 am

A 1 loss Bama would be left out if Wisc and Oklahoma win out and the Winner of Miami/Clemson doesn't take a loss this week. A 1 loss Bama will get in over Ohio State or USCw.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 am

uscbucsfan wrote:A 1 loss Bama would be left out if Wisc and Oklahoma win out and the Winner of Miami/Clemson doesn't take a loss this week. A 1 loss Bama will get in over Ohio State or USCw.

IF that Bama loss is a a "bad" one...

A loss of 10 points or less and Bama is in...doesn't matter what anyone else does..

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that's how it works...
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk