Would you draft Reuben Foster at 19?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Would you draft Foster at 19?

Yes
75%
No
25%
Rap Sucks
No votes

Total votes : 4

Would you draft Reuben Foster at 19?

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Failed the combine drug test because his sample was diluted. Claims to have been very ill and that's why he was taken extra fluids.

Anyways, some experts now have him falling. Maybe even as far as day 2. Now we haven't talked about Foster much here because he was suppose to be long gone and even then LB isn't exactly something many of us are targeting. Either way when a talent like Foster is on the board you have to give that serious thought.
Last edited by Doctor on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor

Re: Would you draft Reuben Foster at 19?

Postby threadkiller » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Maybe I didn't give Foster enough of a chance, and I probably devalue LB, but I'm not sure i would take him at 50. I wouldn't have taken him at 19 if he was totally clean. I didn't see an obviously great NFL linebacker. I saw a thumper with sloppy technique. Hell I'd take Willis all day ahead of Foster and just posted about how much I don't want Jordan there.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 am

Yes. Without question.
Bootz2004

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Yes. Without question.

So our very own Nancy Reagan, who calls everyone a junkie even if they just puff on a joint every now and then, wants to draft Foster at 19? Okaaaay....

Failed drug tests at the combine have less to do about drugs and more about drafting someone who is a retard.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 am

I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, we don't need a linebacker in any way. We have two good, young linebackers under contract for the next several years. Additionally, Foster had some question marks BEFORE failing a combine drug test. He's far from a clean prospect.

On the other hand, late at night, the ghosts of Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis drag their chains down the halls at OBP.

So, I land on, "wouldn't be thrilled, but would be optimistic."
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 am

No

Was curious about Eric Wilson who we had a workout with - I like him. While I was checking his speed I noticed the guy right above him - Brady Sheldon Ferris St. 6'5" 220 I was also impressed by how well he moved and tackled. A quick reactor, play diagnoser - whatev

Both play special teams, one might could be had in the 7th and the other for free.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Yes. Without question.

So our very own Nancy Reagan, who calls everyone a junkie even if they just puff on a joint every now and then, wants to draft Foster at 19? Okaaaay....

Failed drug tests at the combine have less to do about drugs and more about drafting someone who is a retard.

Diluted sample idiot. If you can tell me what his drug of choice is from a diluted sample I'd be more than happy to hear it. I'll wait..
Bootz2004

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Diluted sample idiot. If you can tell me what his drug of choice is from a diluted sample I'd be more than happy to hear it. I'll wait..

I could care less what drug it was. You really can't see the forest for the trees.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I could care less what drug it was. You really can't see the forest for the trees.

Diluted & missed test go into the same category. We're also talking about a guy who had never failed a drug test at Bama. So if your answer is "I could care less what drug it was" it's a naive position at best. You're saying whether it's weed, coke, Nyquil, or too many poppy seeds you think he's a junkie.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Diluted & missed test go into the same category. We're also talking about a guy who had never failed a drug test at Bama. So if your answer is "I could care less what drug it was" it's a naive position at best. You're saying whether it's weed, coke, Nyquil, or too many poppy seeds you think he's a junkie.

You can't be a junkie on NyQuil?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You can't be a junkie on NyQuil?

He abuses it???
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

I remember I posted earlier that the only way Foster falls to 19 is if he fucks up royally in the pre draft process. Looks like he might have.

I think we could fit him in, have him start on the strong side and turn LVD loose as a pass rusher in the Nickel D along with Spence as LVD has shown he's a weakness in coverage despite what some fans want to believe.

That all said, I don't think he makes it to 19. Ravens fans are all over him, as our Colts fans, Washington... there are lots of teams who could use a Reuben Foster.

But to answer this question, I'd have to know who else is there. Ultimately, I think someone else will be there who would help us more like a Dalvin Cook. So I'll say no.

Count him as one of those guys I hope goes top 18.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

I don't think he drops from the diluted sample unless teams have information that it's part of a bigger issue.
Naismith

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

To be fair Bootz, diluting your sample by drinking a **** ton of water is how you mask your sample. If you want to buy the dehydration story that is fine. It may even be true. But between getting kicked out of the combine and having a failed sample it's not naive to be have some concern about the players future availability. One more failed test (even another dilluted sample) and he's suspended 4 games, another one after that and it's a season. If you look at the players that started their NFL career in the drug program before the their first practice you'll find a laundry list of players that ended up suspended early in their careers.

Ruben Foster is heck of a football player, nobody is saying otherwise here. But between the red flags HE imposed on himself with HIS OWN decisions during the draft process and the fact that drafting him would make either Kwon or LVD a 2-down player (unless you're saying we draft Foster to be a 2-down player) I don't see the value/fit for him at 19 w/ this current Bucs roster.

I think Foster is the best off-LOS LB in the draft, but for this Bucs team I'd take Reddick for reasons I've outlined in the '40 days' thread over him even if Foster had a clean draft process.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am

real bucs fan wrote:I remember I posted earlier that the only way Foster falls to 19 is if he fucks up royally in the pre draft process. Looks like he might have.

I think we could fit him in, have him start on the strong side and turn LVD loose as a pass rusher in the Nickel D along with Spence as LVD has shown he's a weakness in coverage despite what some fans want to believe.

That all said, I don't think he makes it to 19. Ravens fans are all over him, as our Colts fans, Washington... there are lots of teams who could use a Reuben Foster.

But to answer this question, I'd have to know who else is there. Ultimately, I think someone else will be there who would help us more like a Dalvin Cook. So I'll say no.

Count him as one of those guys I hope goes top 18.

real bucs fan wrote:14. Rueben Foster, LB
Not a need at all, but guy is a stud. I don't really see how he falls out of the top 15 though unless a video emerges of him punching a woman while smoking a joint and then being chased down by said woman and beaten to a pulp. If he's the pick, I think you try and use David as an edge rusher in nickel packages and sub out Gholston.

I don't think a diluted sampled is a royal **** up, at least not the way you painted it to be. LOL
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am

I'm on the fence. He's a great player but a knucklehead, and knuckleheads kick themselves out of the league in short order. I defer to One Buc on this one.

On third down, play a 3-3 if it makes you happy. Then you can rush or drop any of our backers.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:39 am

If given the choice I take Reddick over Foster. If only one is there I'd be onboard w/ either assuming OBP is onboard w/ Foster's recent slip ups
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

To be fair Bootz, diluting your sample by drinking a **** ton of water is how you mask your sample. If you want to buy the dehydration story that is fine. It may even be true. But between getting kicked out of the combine and having a failed sample it's not naive to be have some concern about the players future availability. One more failed test (even another dilluted sample) and he's suspended 4 games, another one after that and it's a season. If you look at the players that started their NFL career in the drug program before the their first practice you'll find a laundry list of players that ended up suspended early in their careers.

Ruben Foster is heck of a football player, nobody is saying otherwise here. But between the red flags HE imposed on himself with HIS OWN decisions during the draft process and the fact that drafting him would make either Kwon or LVD a 2-down player (unless you're saying we draft Foster to be a 2-down player) I don't see the value/fit for him at 19 w/ this current Bucs roster.

I think Foster is the best off-LOS LB in the draft, but for this Bucs team I'd take Reddick for reasons I've outlined in the '40 days' thread over him even if Foster had a clean draft process.

For the record Kwon Alexander is closer to a 1 year suspension. I don't see any "concern" about that. In fact all I see is "we'll have to pay him soon. So all of this faux concern is B.S. You're speculating about how the sample got diluted.

Just because fans are unable to see value in another LB doesn't mean football minds don't. LB is a position that really shows who knows football and who knows what their Madden game tells them. But that's another conversation. Oh and Reddick isn't in that league. At all.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

For the record Kwon Alexander is closer to a 1 year suspension. I don't see any "concern" about that. In fact all I see is "we'll have to pay him soon. So all of this faux concern is B.S. You're speculating about how the sample got diluted.

Just because fans are unable to see value in another LB doesn't mean football minds don't. LB is a position that really shows who knows football and who knows what their Madden game tells them. But that's another conversation. Oh and Reddick isn't in that league. At all.

There is certainly concern over Kwon being 1 failed test away from a year long suspension. But Kwon's failed test was for a PED and it was NOT during the pre-draft process so it's no an apples to apples comparison either.

I'm also not speculating on how the sample got diluted. Foster released a statement where he said he was sick prior to the combine which made him dehydrated, thus he drank a bunch of water. So I have no idea what you're talking about. I never said he did drugs. It really doesn't matter b/c the point is that it it's a failed test regardless and puts him in the program day 1.

As far as Foster's value, I've said repeatedly that he a great ILB prospect. He and Reddick are different in what they do best, so my take in the other thread was how each would fit this Bucs roster and scheme and who would be a more valuable addition given who we already have in place.
DreadNaught

Postby DominatingD55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

I would much rather draft Peppers and use him in a Safety/Linebacker hybrid. He would be a great starting Safety, could move up to the LOS when we need a third Linebacker and JJ Wilcox comes in at Safety would make a great run stop package.
DominatingD55

Return to College Football/Draft Talk