One of the deepest FA pools in a very long time

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: One of the deepest FA pools in a very long time

Postby Wesmon » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:05 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Stay out of free agency. Here's an idea. Let's go after only players who were cut and build thru the draft. Stay away from high priced guys. Gain compensation picks going forward.

We aren't good enough at drafting for that. Hell, we aren't any good at free agency either, so our team ends up starting a bunch of waiver wire players every year.

The entire front office is what needs rebuilding.
Wesmon

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Wesmon wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Stay out of free agency. Here's an idea. Let's go after only players who were cut and build thru the draft. Stay away from high priced guys. Gain compensation picks going forward.

We aren't good enough at drafting for that. Hell, we aren't any good at free agency either, so our team ends up starting a bunch of waiver wire players every year.

The entire front office is what needs rebuilding.

The front office was rebuilt last year. This will be Jason Licht's 1st offseason working with his own guys. So perhaps theybring new perspective in how this team will be built. Hopefully this draft will have a long term outlook as oppose to "let's try to fulfill our current needs by drafting starters without developing them".
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Pretty sure all the great teams buy their way to championships

Oh wait, that's baseball
Nano

Postby Cheb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:51 am

After resigning LaVonte, we have enough cash to buy a big name on the OL and a few role players for depth and possible rotations. No need to win free agency; we've won that the last two off seasons with little success. Stay smart and buy value.
Cheb

Postby IslandBuc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:54 am

This FO scares me in its talent evaluation of Olineman. That being said, i hope we bring in JPP so he can play back in tampa
IslandBuc

Postby Hatter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 pm

When does FA start this year?
Hatter

Postby Concrete » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:16 pm

March 10th
Concrete

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:39 pm

What do you guys know about Joe Barksdale? Is he this years Anthony Collins?
theBKwhopper

Postby Teitan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:21 pm

IslandBuc wrote:This FO scares me in its talent evaluation of Olineman. That being said, i hope we bring in JPP so he can play back in tampa

If a deal can't be reached NY is reportedly planning to franchise tag him. On the other hand, Greg Hardy is being let go to free agency.

theBKwhopper wrote:What do you guys know about Joe Barksdale? Is he this years Anthony Collins?

I'd rather target known commodities. Lupati, Bulaga, etc. I admit I was one that was fooled by Collins and thought he was a good pick up.
Teitan

Postby SDBucs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Stop targeting big name FA and go for value picks. The last big name FA we've had success with is Vjax. Who was the last big name Oline weve signed to not bust?'

McDonald is a perfect example of hitting the money on a value player, all big names do is take the money and run.
SDBucs

Postby Teitan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:46 pm

SDBucs wrote:Stop targeting big name FA and go for value picks. The last big name FA we've had success with is Vjax. Who was the last big name Oline weve signed to not bust?'

McDonald is a perfect example of hitting the money on a value player, all big names do is take the money and run.

I wouldn't say that's a certainty. We've had some bad luck. Nicks would have been good, the injury was unfortunate.

Jackson has been great.
Verner has been solid and I think he'll get even better with some experience in the system.
Nicks was killed by injury.
Collins fell flat.
Johnson fell flat but I think he could still be a productive player.

If we sign a Greg Hardy and move Johnson over to the other side we could have a really good D Line.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Orakpo will be a FA also and has experience coming off the left already.

We need to add an edge rusher in FA or the draft.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 am

Teitan wrote:
SDBucs wrote:Stop targeting big name FA and go for value picks. The last big name FA we've had success with is Vjax. Who was the last big name Oline weve signed to not bust?'

I wouldn't say that's a certainty. We've had some bad luck. Nicks would have been good, the injury was unfortunate.

Jackson has been great.
Verner has been solid and I think he'll get even better with some experience in the system.
Collins fell flat.

If we sign a Greg Hardy and move Johnson over to the other side we could have a really good D Line.

Don't forget about some of the middle-tier guys - Derrick Ward and Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown and Kevin Ogletree and Tom Crabtree and Brandon Myers and Derek Landri and Jonathan Casillas and Eric Wright and Mike Jenkins and the six kickers we went through after Connor Barth went down, etc.

We haven't had a ton of luck, and we haven't had a ton of good coaching, and we haven't been very good at identifying talent. I like Bootz's optimism, though, about Licht having a full offseason with his own scouts and his own coaches, etc. I'm just not going to be happy if on March 15th I see a picture at One Buc of Iupati and Greg Hardy and Randall Cobb each holding up jerseys in one and $100 mil combined in guarantees in the other. It just doesn't work.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:54 am

I'm SHOCKED to see that Digital_Dumbass was wrong.

SHOCKED, I tell you!

Christ...why doesn't this 'tard ****ing kill himself?
Alpha

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 am

MJW wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Jackson has been great.
Collins fell flat.

Don't forget about some of the middle-tier guys - Derrick Ward and Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown and Kevin Ogletree and Tom Crabtree and Brandon Myers and Derek Landri and Jonathan Casillas and Eric Wright and Mike Jenkins and the six kickers we went through after Connor Barth went down, etc.

We haven't had a ton of luck, and we haven't had a ton of good coaching, and we haven't been very good at identifying talent. I like Bootz's optimism, though, about Licht having a full offseason with his own scouts and his own coaches, etc. I'm just not going to be happy if on March 15th I see a picture at One Buc of Iupati and Greg Hardy and Randall Cobb each holding up jerseys in one and $100 mil combined in guarantees in the other. It just doesn't work.

Eric Wright wasn't paid like a middle tier guy unfortunately.
Miller4Prez64

Postby SDBucs » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:31 am

Hope we get Hardy
SDBucs

Postby Hatter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:26 am

As much as I wanted to give Johnson another year because I felt he was slowed by injury/new system, he's due too much money to keep.. I think its 7 mil base plus another 7 mil on top of it. if thats the case I wonder why his contract was made that way?
Hatter

Previous

Return to Team Discussions