***FIRE DIRK KOETTER***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***FIRE DIRK KOETTER***

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:These next 2 games could decide the fate of the current regime imo.

If we lose to the (5-2) Saints (we're 7pt underdogs) and then come home to RayJay and lose to the Jets w/McCown and an ASJ (who will have 10 days to prepare) to fall to 2-7 on the season the pressure to make a change will be ramped up. At that point the fanbase will be checked out and there will be no excuse for the 2-7 record and 6 game losing streak.

Agreed
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:These next 2 games could decide the fate of the current regime imo.

If we lose to the (5-2) Saints...

DanTurksGhost

Postby Nano » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Hell, Pickwatch has 94% in favor of the Saints.
Nano

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Looks they were all wrong last night.

Divisional games are always tough to predict. These teams always beat one another. We were a much team than the Saints at the end of last season and they beat us. I don't expect the Bucs to win, but nobody should be surprised if it happens.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 am

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:What Todd Bowles is doing with the NYJ is good coaching. Koetter looks like the exact opposite.

That 53 is still awful...he deserves COY.

Exactly. No one can convince that Jets roster isn’t horrible. Every time they win it’s a reminder how much talent is wasting under the coaching in Tampa.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:
That 53 is still awful...he deserves COY.

Exactly. No one can convince that Jets roster isn’t horrible. Every time they win it’s a reminder how much talent is wasting under the coaching in Tampa.

It's frankly irritating how good the Jets are playing, when we remember that they're doing it with Josh Friggin' McCown, AND we could have hired Todd Bowles at some if we'd wanted to. But credit where it's due...those guys are playing awesome and it's obviously a good staff. Somebody wins COY every single year, but I'm not sure there's a guy who really deserves it every single year. Todd Bowles deserves it.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:What Todd Bowles is doing with the NYJ is good coaching. Koetter looks like the exact opposite.

It's not even pretty. And it doesn't work out weekly for the Jets. But somehow they have 4 wins with that roster. Outside of guys like Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, Adams, the roster is pretty expendable. Getting the best out of what he has to work with. Some guys have that ability, some don't. I never felt Koetter did and feel even less so now.

It’s not pretty, but I see two things each time I watch the Jets: effort and a plan. The Jets lack talent and can find some creative ways to lose (That ASJ fumble out of the end zone vs Pats sucked), but they play hard and you can tell there is a gameplan. The Bucs look like the opposite of the Jets: lacking a plan and effort. I cannot tell what Koetter has the team doing week to week. It’s difficult to see any progression either in individual players, a particular unit, one side of the ball or the team as a whole.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

It's frankly irritating how good the Jets are playing, when we remember that they're doing it with Josh Friggin' McCown, AND we could have hired Todd Bowles at some if we'd wanted to. But credit where it's due...those guys are playing awesome and it's obviously a good staff. Somebody wins COY every single year, but I'm not sure there's a guy who really deserves it every single year. Todd Bowles deserves it.

It sounds so simple, but on Sunday you can tell the Jets actually worked during the week. There is growth and an exciting game to enjoy. Here we just hope we aren’t blown out, maybe Jameis can hit DJax on a slant and if Koetter finds something that works just maybe we stick with it for more than a drive.

Edit: And yes Bowles is COY at this point. He is proof positive that coaching matters. He is winning games against real live NFL teams with Sun Belt talent.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

It sounds so simple, but on Sunday you can tell the Jets actually worked during the week. There is growth and an exciting game to enjoy. Here we just hope we aren’t blown out, maybe Jameis can hit DJax on a slant and if Koetter finds something that works just maybe we stick with it for more than a drive.

Edit: And yes Bowles is COY at this point. He is proof positive that coaching matters. He is winning games against real live NFL teams with Sun Belt talent.

Hiring a coach is a crapshoot. Sometimes you hire a young offensive genius and get Sean McVay. Sometimes you get Josh McDaniels. Sometimes the young, cool, overachieving DC is Mike Tomlin. Sometimes he's Raheem. Sometimes the gruff disciplinarian is Bill Belichick, sometimes he's Greg Schiano, etc.

With Koetter, he was essentially untested as a head coach beyond a solid run with the Sun Devils 10-15 years ago. It was a gamble. I don't think there's any shame in considering that it might have been a miss. Especially when you look at another gamble, Bowles. The Jets are showing up prepared, they're showing up confident, and they're showing up with an identity on both sides of the ball. As you say, that's coaching.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 am

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Hiring a coach is a crapshoot. Sometimes you hire a young offensive genius and get Sean McVay. Sometimes you get Josh McDaniels. Sometimes the young, cool, overachieving DC is Mike Tomlin. Sometimes he's Raheem. Sometimes the gruff disciplinarian is Bill Belichick, sometimes he's Greg Schiano, etc.

With Koetter, he was essentially untested as a head coach beyond a solid run with the Sun Devils 10-15 years ago. It was a gamble. I don't think there's any shame in considering that it might have been a miss. Especially when you look at another gamble, Bowles. The Jets are showing up prepared, they're showing up confident, and they're showing up with an identity on both sides of the ball. As you say, that's coaching.

Arizona State Sun Devils (Pacific-10 Conference) (2001–2006)
2001 Arizona State 4–7 1–7
2002 Arizona State 8–6 5–3
2003 Arizona State 5–7 2–6
2004 Arizona State 9–3 5–3
2005 Arizona State 7–5 4–4
2006 Arizona State 7–6 4–5

I'm not sure I'd call that a "solid run". It's basically a career of breaking just above even.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 am

Caradoc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Arizona State Sun Devils (Pacific-10 Conference) (2001–2006)
2001 Arizona State 4–7 1–7
2002 Arizona State 8–6 5–3
2003 Arizona State 5–7 2–6
2004 Arizona State 9–3 5–3
2005 Arizona State 7–5 4–4
2006 Arizona State 7–6 4–5

I'm not sure I'd call that a "solid run". It's basically a career of breaking just above even.

I was being kind, and acknowledging that ASU isn't exactly a powerhouse. But yeah...it isn't like he was Bear Bryant as a college coach, either. There's essentially no evidence Dirk Koetter has what it takes to be an NFL head coach. Take that as one will.
MJW

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:It sounds so simple, but on Sunday you can tell the Jets actually worked during the week. There is growth and an exciting game to enjoy. Here we just hope we aren’t blown out, maybe Jameis can hit DJax on a slant and if Koetter finds something that works just maybe we stick with it for more than a drive.

Yes. This is the thing with the Bucs that bothers me. It seems as though rather than executing a well-designed game plan, we are more often than not just "hoping" we can hit a big play here or there to make things happen. It doesn't "feel" like our team is prepared or disciplined or perhaps even on the same page. That feels like a coaching problem to me, though as you know I cast doubt on my confidence in both lines before the season.
DanTurksGhost

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Koetter's best work was what he did at Boise State. He was the one that built the foundation at Boise State that Hawkins and Petersen later built on. They were a 3rd year FBS program at the time of his arrival going 2-10 and 4-7 the 2 previous years. Koetter went 6-5, 10-3 and 10-2.

But yeah, when your best work was when you were coaching in the Big West Conference, you're probably not NFL head coach material.
KiffininCanton

Previous

Return to Team Discussions