Week 6 Discussion

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Week 6 Discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Bootz thinks the entire game is scripted when he doesn't like the results and it's not the Bucs. Otherwise he argues how good Winston is or whether rust plays a factor. I guess the Bucs are the only team free styling? Hire some writers Glazers, stop being cheap.

Just when I see **** get fishy. Like Van Pelt advertising that he's speaking to the QB of the losing team at the time. Like fantom penalties on key stops on defense. Situations like that.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
What?!? I'm just a bud light drinkin football fan that loves talkin bout the game I love!

I suppose if I were running a purely-satirical online account that in no way reflects my actual beliefs, I might say something like the following:

If the WWE is 100% storyline-driven, predetermined outcomes, then I'd say my guess is the NFL is about 10-20%.

It's an entertainment product. The players are the actors that we all fall in love with and the owners are the production companies that are behind the overall "course" of the NFL.

I don't think the players are in on it whatsoever. Maybe certain guys bump up against the ceiling, and they might get hints here and there about the storyline they're trying to curate around them; maybe Peyton Manning-types. Maybe they don't even get overt "clues", but some guys must have a hunch that things work out in their favor - via penalties and favorable spots and new rules.

That's where I think the ladle hits the soup - penalties and spots, and to a more dilute degree, rule changes.

I think the owners know what style of football sells, so they steer the rule changes in that direction (obvious), but more importantly, I think they also know what type of player and what type of behavior - and MOST IMPORTANTLY - what STORY is marketable. I think you can have success in the NFL despite not being one of the NFL's "golden boys", but might not get all the favorable calls that another guy might get; and vice versa, you can fail on your own right, even if you are playing the game "the right way" and acting "the right way" off the field (Romo comes to mind). I think there is a certain degree of success that is encouraged for even the "villians" (T.O., Vick, Roethsliberger), but it is not necessarily assisted, in the way that the "good guys" get calls here and there - at the pinnacle at at least.

(as a side note to this, I was thinking about OJ Howard the other day - and I wonder if the guy took a step back, and thought about things this way, and started injecting a little bit of "Tony Gonzalez" attitude - you know, just the upstanding character kind of attitude - and went out of his way to show that, and to interact with the refs in almost a overtly-nice way as he grows from "big bodied talented rookie that imposes his size and will on smaller defenders" to "dominant professional" - that he'd get away with a lot more of those "push offs" - in a way that a lot of the top end WR/TE's are allowed to get away with. It's almost like you have to put in your dues and play the "personality" game with the refs and the NFL and show them you're interested in being a "company man" kind of thing...)

All penalties are not created equal. No two roughing the passer penalties are the same - no two holding - no two PI's. Situation, time left, game / drive momentum - all are different. One PI called may have HUGE implications to the game, while another may not. I think the refs do a good job of masking the obviousness of the "story" being told within each game but attempting to balance out the calls. But sometimes, some are fluff calls that don't matter, and others are absolutely bogus drive-killing calls. I think maybe over time there are 5 or so head refs that are "in" with the owners, and they sort of delegate to their crews, in a plausible-deniability kind of way, that *this* is how this game is to be called.

I think each team has a "story", with different "actors" - both players and coaches, and I think some times teams get "green lighted" to be helped to the top, just like a movie script will. But its got to have all the right actors, the right story, and something special that culminates into a marketable product. I think our SB team was just that - we had a great story, we had put in the grind, the nation had become aware of our D's greatness over the years, and ultimately we had a product that deserved to be in the spotlight at the top.

Again, I think this is occurring on a 10-20% level, maybe up to 50%, I don't know, depends on how macro-level you look at it. But I don't think its ALL steered. There are too many variables; injuries, etc. So I don't think too much of it is flat out scripted. I don't think guys are taking dives. I think there's only maybe 5 players/coaches who have ever been invited on the "inside" - IF THAT. Maybe zero. But I think the owners are well aware of, a) the monetary stakes, b) the tools available to minimize monetary risk, c) the type of product (players, coaches, teams) that they're working with, and they understand how they can facilitate long term (league) success by curating stories/significant moments that people (the fans) want to see/be a part of.

of course this, and everything this account has ever said is purely satire - particularly the stuff me and the multiple other people that use this account have said on the political forum ;)

I’ll quote myself for this one - that last penalty is EXACTLY the type of penalty I’m talking about here

Pretty much. Like PM said, no one is tuning in to watch an interview with CJ Beatherd. No one is clicking on stories of CJ Beatherd winning in Green Bay. But a Rodgers comeback and Crosby redemption story? Damn right people will tune in.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 pm

Maybe Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than CJ Beathard?
DreadNaught

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:15 pm

I remember hearing a story on the local sports radio i here in San Jose with Tom Tolbert and he had said three years in a row they had received a package from an unknown sender and it had all the nba playoffs set and the champion and each year it was exactly correct. I know it’s not the NFL but still an interesting thought.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm

BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:I remember hearing a story on the local sports radio i here in San Jose with Tom Tolbert and he had said three years in a row they had received a package from an unknown sender and it had all the nba playoffs set and the champion and each year it was exactly correct. I know it’s not the NFL but still an interesting thought.

A package of what?
PrimeMinister

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:37 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:I remember hearing a story on the local sports radio i here in San Jose with Tom Tolbert and he had said three years in a row they had received a package from an unknown sender and it had all the nba playoffs set and the champion and each year it was exactly correct. I know it’s not the NFL but still an interesting thought.

A package of what?

The NBA playoff brackets before the season had even began.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby BucJordan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 am

Except of course that Sherman actually did commit the penalty. Was he in on the script?

Was Beathard in on it throwing that pick?

And Rodgers still had to actually make the plays to win the game after the penalty.

If it's just the refs getting paid to fix games, they sure leave a lot to chance.

I admit it was a very "Bucs" was to lose a game, and I feel bad for the 49er fans. I can see how fans of a franchise like ours could want to believe someone is scripting our losses, but it just doesn't add up.
BucJordan

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 am

BucJordan wrote:Except of course that Sherman actually did commit the penalty. Was he in on the script?

Was Beathard in on it throwing that pick?

And Rodgers still had to actually make the plays to win the game after the penalty.

If it's just the refs getting paid to fix games, they sure leave a lot to chance.

I admit it was a very "Bucs" was to lose a game, and I feel bad for the 49er fans. I can see how fans of a franchise like ours could want to believe someone is scripting our losses, but it just doesn't add up.

Last 5 49er possessions
FG
FG
Punt
Punt
INT

Nah, the Bucs can throw in 10 to 14 points and still lose
mdb1958

Previous

Return to Team Discussions