**Week 6 @Atlanta Falcons Discussion Thread**

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
**Week 6 @Atlanta Falcons Discussion Thread**

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 am

Our 2-2 Bucs are coming back from the early bye week hoping to get back on the winning track after an embarrassing week 4 loss in Chicago. We will be facing off in Atlanta with the 1-4 Falcons in our 2nd divisional game (both on the road) hoping to go 2-0 within the division and keep pace with the 1-loss Saints and Panthers.

Jameis Winston will be making his first start of the season after being suspended the first 3 games and coming in the second half of the Bears game that had already been decided. He and Bucs offense will look to take advantage of a Falcons defense that has been decimated by injuries and is competing with the Bucs defense in a historic race of futility.

The Falcons do feature an elite passing offense that is as good as there is in the NFL. One should expect a very high scoring game as neither of these defenses has shown any ability to stop an opposing offense, much less the type of offenses they'll be facing Sunday.

The first official injury report doesn't come out til Wednesday however the Bucs got an extra practice on Monday due to the bye and CB Carlton Davis (groin), DT Beau Allen (foot), along with OJ Howard (knee) all sat out practice. Rookie Safety Jordan Whitehead who missed the Bears game with a hamstring injury was back at practice.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Re: **Week 6 @Atlanta Falcons Discussion Thread**

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am

**** Atlanta...
Super K

Postby acmillis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am

Coming off of a bye, we should be ready and beat ATL...but I have no faith. Their defense has been obliterated by injury while ours has just been obliterated by our opponents. Its gon get ugly.
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 am

The Falcons are a bad team. Bad bad team. They’ve given up at least 37 points in each of their last 3 games, 2 of them they’ve given up at least 40. They commit bad penalties. We have every reason to beat them and I think we do. This matchup favors us heavily. They like running outside, our LBs can flow to the ball well. Their Oline is a weakness so hopefully our front 4 can exploit that. On the other side that defense is in shambles. Do have to worry about Beasley and McKinley but overall I think Jameis will be fine and will show people how to operate an offense.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 am

Bootz2004 wrote:The Falcons are a bad team. Bad bad team. They’ve given up at least 37 points in each of their last 3 games, 2 of them they’ve given up at least 40. They commit bad penalties. We have every reason to beat them and I think we do. This matchup favors us heavily. They like running outside, our LBs can flow to the ball well. Their Oline is a weakness so hopefully our front 4 can exploit that. On the other side that defense is in shambles. Do have to worry about Beasley and McKinley but overall I think Jameis will be fine and will show people how to operate an offense.

Falcons fans can make the exact same argument as to why they think they can beat the Bucs. This game is a tossup IMO and will be determined by the QB that has the better day.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:The Falcons are a bad team. Bad bad team. They’ve given up at least 37 points in each of their last 3 games, 2 of them they’ve given up at least 40. They commit bad penalties. We have every reason to beat them and I think we do. This matchup favors us heavily. They like running outside, our LBs can flow to the ball well. Their Oline is a weakness so hopefully our front 4 can exploit that. On the other side that defense is in shambles. Do have to worry about Beasley and McKinley but overall I think Jameis will be fine and will show people how to operate an offense.

Falcons fans can make the exact same argument as to why they think they can beat the Bucs. This game is a tossup IMO and will be determined by the QB that has the better day.

Yup, I don't see either defense having much success.

Much like the Bucs win week 1 in New Orleans this game will come down to what defense can force a couple turnovers and get a couple stops here and there. But for the most part it will be like a basketball game with each offense moving the ball down the field and lighting up the scoreboard.

Both Winston and Ryan are must starts in Fantasy imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Konatown » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 am

Julio should get 2 of his yearly 3 TDS in the game. Gonna be a shootout, hope the Bucs are left standing otherwise it’s a slippery slope. Need that win to get back on track for playoffs, losing 3 in a row would suck.
Konatown

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

The difference is personnel. I think our guys have a ton of room to grow if for no other reason than we are healthier than the Falcons are right now. Our defense is not as bad as the Bears game. That was a perfect nightmare that likely won't repeat itself. Likewise the Falcons aren't as bad as they were against the Steelers but they are 1-4 and have looked pretty sloppy getting there.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

This is a massive game and I think we'll have a better idea of who the 2018 Bucs are after. If we stink it up again, RIP. As other have said, Atlanta is really struggling with a beat up defence, but Matt Ryan and that offence is on fire. Definitely going to be a shootout, just a matter of whether Jameis can hang with Matt Ryan. Am really hoping to see a much better performance from the D. I truly believe the issues we've had have been schematic and they should have been addressed during the bye. Also want to see RoJo given a legit shot at RB. Atlantas run D has been awful, and this could be a game where we could lift RoJo's mojo- and a run game going forward would be a tremendous addition if we truly want to take a run at a playoff spot.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Falcons fans can make the exact same argument as to why they think they can beat the Bucs. This game is a tossup IMO and will be determined by the QB that has the better day.

The difference is personnel. I think our guys have a ton of room to grow if for no other reason than we are healthier than the Falcons are right now. Our defense is not as bad as the Bears game. That was a perfect nightmare that likely won't repeat itself. Likewise the Falcons aren't as bad as they were against the Steelers but they are 1-4 and have looked pretty sloppy getting there.

As bad as their D has been, their offence has been quietly tremendous- they just couldn't outscore their opponents. Ryan has thrown for 9 TDs, zero picks, and over 1000 yards over their last 3 games... and they've lost all 3.
real bucs fan

Postby Native Son » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:49 am

That tall kid of theirs ain’t gonna play nice with our new DBs
Native Son

Postby Native Son » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 am

And Devontae wants his old job back...
How’s our tackling these days?
Native Son

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am

We're going to lose this one. The falcons need a season-saver. We'll be happy to oblige.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 am

beardmcdoug wrote:We're going to lose this one. The falcons need a season-saver. We'll be happy to oblige.

DreadNaught

Postby kaimaru » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am

Yes Julio Jones racks up yards against us. Yes he has 10 out of his 43 career TDs against us. But he still sucks in the RZ even against us. That is 1 TD per game against us, and most of them were on 30+ yard TD catches.
kaimaru

Postby ComingThisFall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am

kaimaru wrote:Yes Julio Jones racks up yards against us. Yes he has 10 out of his 43 career TDs against us. But he still sucks in the RZ even against us. That is 1 TD per game against us, and most of them were on 30+ yard TD catches.

Our biggest ptoblem has been stopping teams in the red zone. If we can force some fgs we will win by 10
ComingThisFall

Postby Nano » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:We're going to lose this one. The falcons need a season-saver. We'll be happy to oblige.

Not sure if beating the Bucs at 1-4 can really be considered a season saver
Nano

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:36 pm

hey the 2015 chiefs started 1-5 and they went to the playoffs
beardmcdoug

Postby BacksidePursuit » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm

I don't see any good reason we can't win this game.

But I will be stunned if we do.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Seamen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:29 pm

This game feels like those games where we play backup QBs and expect to win...

We all know how those go
Seamen

Postby Caradoc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:43 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:I don't see any good reason we can't win this game.

I can help with that:

Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm

After the Bears game, I was initially thinking this game would really be a bellwether game for us, telling us how the rest of the season was going to go. Now I'm not so sure. The Falcons are absolutely desperate, and have every bit the high-octane offense we have. They also have a running game. And good defensive coaching. We could win this, but I think it really sets up better for the Falcons. Jameis is still not going to be at top form, OJ will be out, Vea is still getting in sync with the DL, Beckwith is still out while Kwon is playing like hot garbage. Another week or two after this one might be more telling on where we are at as a team.

Of course, that is optimism. I have zero faith in this defense becoming close to respectable under Smith.
Caradoc

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Caradoc wrote:After the Bears game, I was initially thinking this game would really be a bellwether game for us, telling us how the rest of the season was going to go. Now I'm not so sure. The Falcons are absolutely desperate, and have every bit the high-octane offense we have. They also have a running game. And good defensive coaching. We could win this, but I think it really sets up better for the Falcons. Jameis is still not going to be at top form, OJ will be out, Vea is still getting in sync with the DL, Beckwith is still out while Kwon is playing like hot garbage. Another week or two after this one might be more telling on where we are at as a team.

Of course, that is optimism. I have zero faith in this defense becoming close to respectable under Smith.

good post. that's how I'm feeling too
beardmcdoug

Postby Heidguy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Caradoc wrote:After the Bears game, I was initially thinking this game would really be a bellwether game for us, telling us how the rest of the season was going to go. Now I'm not so sure. The Falcons are absolutely desperate, and have every bit the high-octane offense we have. They also have a running game. And good defensive coaching. We could win this, but I think it really sets up better for the Falcons. Jameis is still not going to be at top form, OJ will be out, Vea is still getting in sync with the DL, Beckwith is still out while Kwon is playing like hot garbage. Another week or two after this one might be more telling on where we are at as a team.

Sooo, season over?
Heidguy

Postby sanka » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm

In 5 games Winston is 3-2 vs Falcons....2-0 vs ATL in ATL....with a rating of 110...66.8% completion rate...1245 yards with 12 TDs and 2 int. I expect a monster game from Winston as usual vs the Falcons.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 pm

sanka wrote:In 5 games Winston is 3-2 vs Falcons....2-0 vs ATL in ATL....with a rating of 110...66.8% completion rate...1245 yards with 12 TDs and 2 int. I expect a monster game from Winston as usual vs the Falcons.

That’s interesting and something I wasn’t fully aware of.
Bootz2004

Postby Native Son » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 pm

IF...
The Falcons get whupped, which a 1-4 SHOULD, then they will be the kicking dogs for the remainder of 2018.
And that will raise the flags for change like no other...The JJ factor that SHOULD have put them over the top
for good....DIDN'T.
They just might steal the Koetter/Smith thunder...for quite a while. :extinguishflame:
Native Son

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 pm

sanka wrote:In 5 games Winston is 3-2 vs Falcons....2-0 vs ATL in ATL....with a rating of 110...66.8% completion rate...1245 yards with 12 TDs and 2 int. I expect a monster game from Winston as usual vs the Falcons.

Of course you do
Jason Bourne

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I wouldn’t have guessed this. Now I’m going to look up Winston’s performance against Carolina and New Orleans. Without looking at stats my gut tells me he’s performed worse against NO, but with Carolina having the better defense his performance should be worse against them. I’ll post stats here.

Edit:

Winston’s Career stats vs

Panthers: 2 - 4 W/L Completion - 61% TD/INT - 5 TD 9 INT Times Sacked: 18 Yards - 1610 QB rating: 74

Saints: 3 - 3 W/L Completion: 59% TD/INT 5TD 5INT Times Sacked: 12 Yards - 1280 QB rating: 79
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm

In my cash league I’m sitting Cousins and starting Jameis. Jameis with these weapons in a shootout? Should be a monster.
real bucs fan

Next

Return to Team Discussions