MNF N.O. vs Wash

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: MNF N.O. vs Wash

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:not watching the game, but its not that hard to imagine players getting paid to shave points or take a dive. Especially now that the NFL is a multi billion dollar business.

They literally sell entertainment.

I’ve said that same thing for years and people thought I was being “contrarian”. I’ll say it again, do people really believe a multi-billion dollar industry has absolutely ZERO influence on the outcome of the product on their fields?

You said the Falcons Patriots Superbowl was scripted then when Rocker and everyone argued/made fun of you you posted this:

Bootz2004 wrote:
I heavily over exaggerated. Of course that game wasn't scripted. It was simply the perfect storybook ending. Felt scripted. But no I don't truly believe it was.

Now that you found an ally are you back on the scripted train?
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Help me out, I'm just trying to figure out who the NFL thinks is worthy of scripting plays for?

Benjamin Franklin.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Help me out, I'm just trying to figure out who the NFL thinks is worthy of scripting plays for?

Benjamin Franklin.

To believe the games are scripted is just as naive as someone believing players have never taken a dive. There's too many people involved with too much individual stakes, not to mention the product we see on the field to ever be scripted.

People made fun of Boots for it because it's flat Earth type ridiculousness.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Benjamin Franklin.

To believe the games are scripted is just as naive as someone believing players have never taken a dive. There's too many people involved with too much individual stakes, not to mention the product we see on the field to ever be scripted.

People made fun of Boots for it because it's flat Earth type ridiculousness.

Why is it so far fetched to think the league, owners, refs, and players could or would want to manipulate the outcomes of games? The league is doing it right now in front of our faces and every defensive lineman in the league knows it.

They call it player saftey, I call it changing the game to maximize its profitability. But if it makes you feel better, I don't think they are straight up fixing entire games. But I would not be surprised one bit to learn the league does what it thinks it can to shape events.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 am

Haha. You people and your conspiracy theories.

Guys were open like that all night. Even after the record.

Players are not out there to take a dive, you dopes.

Thats just absurd hater talk.
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

Changing the game to make it more entertaining and benefit the offense is one thing -- no one disagrees that the league is doing that. The game is continually evolving both organically and with the help of new rules.

That is a completely different can of worms though than scripting plays or outcomes. That **** is nonsense.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 am

We need BMD in here STAT!
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 am

Totally, obviously scripted. But why does the NFL hate Peyton Manning? When he broke Favre's record, he already had a pick and a lost fumble on the day. And he broke the record on a 4-yard out to Ronnie Hillman. Why didn't they write a better story for him?
Deuce

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 am

Zarniwoop wrote:We need BMD in here STAT!
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

Every poster who believes the NFL is scripted is also a WWE fan. They’re predisposed to believe what they’re seeing is fake if it’s amazing.
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:57 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Every poster who believes the NFL is scripted is also a WWE fan. They’re predisposed to believe what they’re seeing is fake if it’s amazing.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am

That’s about right.
PrimeMinister

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

Rocker wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:We need BMD in here STAT!

What?!? I'm just a bud light drinkin football fan that loves talkin bout the game I love!

I suppose if I were running a purely-satirical online account that in no way reflects my actual beliefs, I might say something like the following:

If the WWE is 100% storyline-driven, predetermined outcomes, then I'd say my guess is the NFL is about 10-20%.

It's an entertainment product. The players are the actors that we all fall in love with and the owners are the production companies that are behind the overall "course" of the NFL.

I don't think the players are in on it whatsoever. Maybe certain guys bump up against the ceiling, and they might get hints here and there about the storyline they're trying to curate around them; maybe Peyton Manning-types. Maybe they don't even get overt "clues", but some guys must have a hunch that things work out in their favor - via penalties and favorable spots and new rules.

That's where I think the ladle hits the soup - penalties and spots, and to a more dilute degree, rule changes.

I think the owners know what style of football sells, so they steer the rule changes in that direction (obvious), but more importantly, I think they also know what type of player and what type of behavior - and MOST IMPORTANTLY - what STORY is marketable. I think you can have success in the NFL despite not being one of the NFL's "golden boys", but might not get all the favorable calls that another guy might get; and vice versa, you can fail on your own right, even if you are playing the game "the right way" and acting "the right way" off the field (Romo comes to mind). I think there is a certain degree of success that is encouraged for even the "villians" (T.O., Vick, Roethsliberger), but it is not necessarily assisted, in the way that the "good guys" get calls here and there - at the pinnacle at at least.

(as a side note to this, I was thinking about OJ Howard the other day - and I wonder if the guy took a step back, and thought about things this way, and started injecting a little bit of "Tony Gonzalez" attitude - you know, just the upstanding character kind of attitude - and went out of his way to show that, and to interact with the refs in almost a overtly-nice way as he grows from "big bodied talented rookie that imposes his size and will on smaller defenders" to "dominant professional" - that he'd get away with a lot more of those "push offs" - in a way that a lot of the top end WR/TE's are allowed to get away with. It's almost like you have to put in your dues and play the "personality" game with the refs and the NFL and show them you're interested in being a "company man" kind of thing...)

All penalties are not created equal. No two roughing the passer penalties are the same - no two holding - no two PI's. Situation, time left, game / drive momentum - all are different. One PI called may have HUGE implications to the game, while another may not. I think the refs do a good job of masking the obviousness of the "story" being told within each game but attempting to balance out the calls. But sometimes, some are fluff calls that don't matter, and others are absolutely bogus drive-killing calls. I think maybe over time there are 5 or so head refs that are "in" with the owners, and they sort of delegate to their crews, in a plausible-deniability kind of way, that *this* is how this game is to be called.

I think each team has a "story", with different "actors" - both players and coaches, and I think some times teams get "green lighted" to be helped to the top, just like a movie script will. But its got to have all the right actors, the right story, and something special that culminates into a marketable product. I think our SB team was just that - we had a great story, we had put in the grind, the nation had become aware of our D's greatness over the years, and ultimately we had a product that deserved to be in the spotlight at the top.

Again, I think this is occurring on a 10-20% level, maybe up to 50%, I don't know, depends on how macro-level you look at it. But I don't think its ALL steered. There are too many variables; injuries, etc. So I don't think too much of it is flat out scripted. I don't think guys are taking dives. I think there's only maybe 5 players/coaches who have ever been invited on the "inside" - IF THAT. Maybe zero. But I think the owners are well aware of, a) the monetary stakes, b) the tools available to minimize monetary risk, c) the type of product (players, coaches, teams) that they're working with, and they understand how they can facilitate long term (league) success by curating stories/significant moments that people (the fans) want to see/be a part of.

of course this, and everything this account has ever said is purely satire - particularly the stuff me and the multiple other people that use this account have said on the political forum ;)
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am

There we go!

:)
Zarniwoop

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 pm

RedLeader wrote:Haha. You people and your conspiracy theories.

Disagree...there were not 2 players wide ****ing open 30 yards down the field (when he needed what, 36?) all night....

They gave him the record on that pass/drive....it was plain as day to see...

Just like Stahan's "sack" on Favre... everyone saw the inevitable happening, they just tried to get it out of the way...

Now, what looked like it may have been a surprise is the 2nd WR (guy whom actually caught the ball)...because even his teammate reacted like WTF?!?...
Super K

Postby BucJordan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Super K wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Haha. You people and your conspiracy theories.

Disagree...there were not 2 players wide ****ing open 30 yards down the field (when he needed what, 36?) all night....

They gave him the record on that pass/drive....it was plain as day to see...

Just like Stahan's "sack" on Favre... everyone saw the inevitable happening, they just tried to get it out of the way...

Now, what looked like it may have been a surprise is the 2nd WR (guy whom actually caught the ball)...because even his teammate reacted like WTF?!?...

Stop trolling. The Strahan sack was a dive by Favre, with his team comfortable ahead in the last 4 minutes of the game.

In no way is that anything like a team down 13 points telling their players to purposely act out a breakdown in coverage, essentially throwing the game (or their chance to come back) to give Brees a more memorable play to break the passing record. That is pure idiocy and the type of conspiracy that the NFL would NEVER risk because the chance of it getting out would literally ruin them. Hell, probably a dozen times a season some player comes out and criticizes his coach or goes off the rails on Twitter, and people really think that players are told to purposely put that kind of **** on film and everyone stays quiet? Just silly.
BucJordan

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Ummmmm, I'm not trolling...it's what I saw...and I'm not the only one...and I'm not just talking about around here...

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/10/9/1795 ... acy-saints
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:04 pm

So Super K thinks the Bucs secondary dives 3 to 5 times per game.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:07 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:So Super K thinks the Bucs secondary dives 3 to 5 times per game.

Not what I'm saying...

But it's funny that the staunch supporters of games being "clean" cite reasons like "no player would do that..."..yet,on the article I posted tweets from Joe Thomas and our own/former Dashon Goldson calling shenanigans too...
Last edited by Super K on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm

The only aspect of this that raises eyebrows to me is the fact that the Brees family was on their way down from the press box when it happened.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I'll ask again, do people really believe a multi billion dollar industry has zero influence over the product on the field?
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The only aspect of this that raises eyebrows to me is the fact that the Brees family was on their way down from the press box when it happened.

They were on their way down because he was only 30 yards away. He already had over 100 yards. 30 yards was 1, 2, maybe 3 passes at most.

Bootz2004 wrote:I'll ask again, do people really believe a multi billion dollar industry has zero influence over the product on the field?

They have influence in changing the rules to make it more beneficial for the offenses, protect QBs, drive up scoring, but they aren't scripting out games like you once claimed. That's ridiculous.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The only aspect of this that raises eyebrows to me is the fact that the Brees family was on their way down from the press box when it happened.

They were on their way down because he was only 30 yards away. He already had over 100 yards. 30 yards was 1, 2, maybe 3 passes at most.

I know, but this is fun.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Is this where I quote a certain post by a certain poster from the SB game?

Asking for a friend...
Rocker

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I was under contract for four different teams and never received one script.

Sucks to be me.
Cheb

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 am

Cheb wrote:I was under contract for four different teams and never received one script.

Sucks to be me.

Extras rarely get scripts....

:drinkingcheers: lol
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby DonkeyHunter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 am

Cheb wrote:I was under contract for four different teams and never received one script.

Sucks to be me.

Spoken like someone reading from a script. ;)
DonkeyHunter

Postby BucJordan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

Super K wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:So Super K thinks the Bucs secondary dives 3 to 5 times per game.

Not what I'm saying...

But it's funny that the staunch supporters of games being "clean" cite reasons like "no player would do that..."..yet,on the article I posted tweets from Joe Thomas and our own/former Dashon Goldson calling shenanigans too...

Please. There's a huge difference between saying something LOOKED rigged and claiming it actually IS. And an ounce of logic would tell you that a team down only two scores laying down to allow a TD pass is idiotic.

The number of people you would have to keep quiet is insustainable and a leak would doom the league. An absolutely terrible business decision for risk/reward.

Players and coaches are fighting for jobs. The NFCE is wide open and no way a team let's another team put in the dagger like that on purpose.

As others have said, why just Brees? Why didn't Peyton get the same treatment? Why didn't they go ahead and let Brees get TD 500 at home in the same primetime game?

The overall game gets influenced heavily in indirect ways, but scripting plays is just ridiculous.
BucJordan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am

That's exactly what they WANT you to believe!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 am

Someone remind me again how Michael Strahan set the single season sack record....I'll wait..
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions