Koetter sounds like he is done...

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Koetter sounds like he is done...

Postby UbuntuBuc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 am

"Jameis Winston is the guy who's going to be here way longer than I am," Koetter said. "So, he needs to be out there playing and he will be unless he gets hurt."

source

I do not like the sound of that quote. It sounds like Koetter is being told to start Winston, doesn't believe in him and thinks this will be his last season with the Buccaneers. Given the record he has produced I think Koetter is on target, but I still do not like it sounding like a coach is being told what QB to play.
UbuntuBuc

Re: Koetter sounds like he is done...

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 am

If given the choice of playing Jameis Winston or Ryan Fitzpatrick I guarantee you no coach would have to be told which QB to play. And if he did then he's showing he doesn't deserve the job in the 1st place.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 am

UbuntuBuc wrote:
"Jameis Winston is the guy who's going to be here way longer than I am," Koetter said. "So, he needs to be out there playing and he will be unless he gets hurt."

source

I do not like the sound of that quote. It sounds like Koetter is being told to start Winston, doesn't believe in him and thinks this will be his last season with the Buccaneers. Given the record he has produced I think Koetter is on target, but I still do not like it sounding like a coach is being told what QB to play.

I think you're misinterpreting Koetter's quote. To me, Dirk is saying Jameis, in Koetters' eyes will be here 15+ years and Koetter, good record or bad record is looking to call it a career before then. Dirk is 59 and is giving an honest opinion, not giving up.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 am

UbuntuBuc wrote:

source

You’re off base. Koetter sounds like a coach who knows he can’t or isn’t willing to fix this dumpster fire (he won’t fire Smith). Koetter knows he isn’t long for One Buc Place just based on how this team is playing. I don’t believe for a second the Glazers told him to start Jameis. I believe if they were directly involved Mike Smith wouldn’t have a job.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 am

Jameis is 24 and QBs are playing till 40yrs old these days.

Koetter is 60.

Jameis playing QB for the Bucs long after Koetter is gone is a likely scenario.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 am

I doubt that he's being told to start Winston, but that quote along with...

We should fire every person that was on that field today — starting with me. That was horrific.

Definitely seems like the end is near and he knows it.
Deuce

Postby BucaRican » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 am

Bootz2004 wrote:If given the choice of playing Jameis Winston or Ryan Fitzpatrick I guarantee you no coach would have to be told which QB to play. And if he did then he's showing he doesn't deserve the job in the 1st place.

Anyone who wants to win and show a competitive atmosphere would not automatically start a guy who has not proven he can win and threw 2 picks when he came in on mop up duty.
BucaRican

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 am

At least we are being creative and finding new ways to implode (coach quitting on the team instead of the reverse).....
Super K

Postby Caradoc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Koetter does not, and never has had what it takes to be the leader. He's even talked about this before (and I've pointed it out), how he "knows what a winning team looks like, but can't define it". If you can't define at least what you believe is how a winner looks, then you shouldn't be tasked with producing one.

That said, this interpretation of his comment is just retarded. Every coach in the NFL knows (unlike Schiano) that the players will last longer than the coach. The franchise's investment is in Winston, not Koetter. This is a nothingburger.
Caradoc

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm

I turned on the wildcard game and my first thought after seeing Joe Madden was **** Chicago and **** you buddy. Anyone else still pissed at Chicago?
Agent Orange

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Agent Orange wrote:I turned on the wildcard game and my first thought after seeing Joe Madden was **** Chicago and **** you buddy. Anyone else still pissed at Chicago?

What does this have to do with Football , **** outta here
Jason Bourne

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:I turned on the wildcard game and my first thought after seeing Joe Madden was **** Chicago and **** you buddy. Anyone else still pissed at Chicago?

What does this have to do with Football , **** outta here

Chicago teams are my new Philly.
Agent Orange

Postby Doctor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm

You guys are a hoot.
Doctor

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 am

Happy Now!
Agent Orange

Postby Terp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:22 pm

We can only hope.
Terp

Postby Patrick McIrish » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm not a big DK fan but I do feel bad for him, almost impossible for him to win once Winston got suspended and Fitz played well out of the gate.

He was thrown into a situation where he almost couldn't win, no way was everyone going to be happy, he was wide open to be criticized.

That's the problem with entitled souls like Winston. They don't give a ****, it's the people around them that usually end up paying the price.
Patrick McIrish

Postby terrytate » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:I'm not a big DK fan but I do feel bad for him, almost impossible for him to win once Winston got suspended and Fitz played well out of the gate.

He was thrown into a situation where he almost couldn't win, no way was everyone going to be happy, he was wide open to be criticized.

That's the problem with entitled souls like Winston. They don't give a ****, it's the people around them that usually end up paying the price.

Partly true, except the failings of this team have nothing to do with Winston or Fitz. So long as we are giving up 35 points a game, we are going to struggle.
terrytate

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:I'm not a big DK fan but I do feel bad for him, almost impossible for him to win once Winston got suspended and Fitz played well out of the gate.

Those first two games we played to win as a team. My feeling on it is once we won those first two and the talk switched to what to do once Winston comes back the team lost their focus. A lot of that falls on DK. I would have committed to Fitz after we won against the Eagles. Now it's out of control. The players now kmow that no matter how good you play je will not have your back.
Agent Orange

Postby terrytate » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Agent Orange wrote:

Those first two games we played to win as a team. My feeling on it is once we won those first two and the talk switched to what to do once Winston comes back the team lost their focus. A lot of that falls on DK. I would have committed to Fitz after we won against the Eagles. Now it's out of control. The players now kmow that no matter how good you play je will not have your back.

The first two games we played teams that couldn't get to Fitz and we still had Conte (can't believe I just said that), Whitehead and Vh3. One they started hitting Fitz and we lost a bunch of people from an already weak secondary and defense, you get what we saw last Sunday. The defensive failures can surely be throw at the feet of Smith, but none of our failures come from Fitz, Winston or an inability to commit to one or the other.
terrytate

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 pm

DK obviously had confidence in our defense when he opted to defer. That might have had more to do with Chicago's inept offense but obviously he was confident. In my opinion the team was distracted and not focused. The only reason that there would be a distraction is Winston. Conte was out 2nd half against the Steelers. We didn't give up a point against a far superior offense than the Bears. You lost me at Conte btw. They were not focused and because of the QB situation we got crushed. I love all these articles about how Chicago's coaching staff are offensive gurus. They have never shown it before and most likely won't again. Not like that at least.
Agent Orange

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Also the Bears DBs were looked at as their weak limk before the game. Everybody knows their pass rush is their strength. We had time at the beginning of the game but were constantly running short pass plays. We have so many weapons it's basically pick you poison. There is no reason we should have been running a college offense.
Agent Orange

Postby terrytate » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Agent Orange wrote:DK obviously had confidence in our defense when he opted to defer. That might have had more to do with Chicago's inept offense but obviously he was confident. In my opinion the team was distracted and not focused. The only reason that there would be a distraction is Winston. Conte was out 2nd half against the Steelers. We didn't give up a point against a far superior offense than the Bears. You lost me at Conte btw. They were not focused and because of the QB situation we got crushed. I love all these articles about how Chicago's coaching staff are offensive gurus. They have never shown it before and most likely won't again. Not like that at least.

You're reaching. The defense has been shredded in every game. We are in last place in points allowed by 5 points. One game against Da Bears didn't do that.

Conte is no great safety or anything but he generally knew where he was supposed to be in the defense, even if he didn't know better than to go high against a 275 pound TE. That was a problem against the Bears. The secondary consistently had one guy who was in the wrong place or covering the wrong guy. The coaches also liked to leave linebackers to cover Tarik Cohen for some reason. All of the leads to a middle of the pack offense looking like the Greatest Show on Turf.

You are trying to sell a dislike for Keotter and Winston as somehow making the defense fail. That is ignorant. The past 10 seasons should be enough to show that the defense can fail all on it's own. But, if you want to ignore the fact the we were dead last in points allowed last year and keep selling this story, carry on.
terrytate

Postby Agent Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 pm

So your argument is that we lost Conte which caused the difference between the Pittsburgh game compared to the Bears game? I would counter that after Conte got sent to IR we actually got better against the Steelers high octane offense. What other players, knowing that we got Vea back, were the cause of this defensive meltdown that weren't playing against Pitt?
Agent Orange

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:51 pm

"Our defense would totally be legit if Chris Conte was healthy!" might be the worst take ever.
MJW

Postby Terp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Our defense is bad because... our linebackers are terrible at covering RB’s. Our secondary is not fast enough. The inexperience in the secondary has led to poor angles and blown assignments. The Dline gets gassed because we don’t feel comfortable giving a lot of snaps to their reserves. Then the guy responsible for coaching this group is not good.
Terp

Postby Caradoc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Our defense is bad because...

We have had two DC's in a row who play soft. mid -80's "bend don't break" defenses that haven't adjusted to the rule changes.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:44 pm

Caradoc wrote:Our defense is bad because...

We have had two DC's in a row who play soft. mid -80's "bend don't break" defenses that haven't adjusted to the rule changes.

"If we can get consistent pressure with our front four, this scheme is great!"
"Yeah, but we can't get consistent pressure, and we haven't gotten consistent pressure with our front four since 2002, sooo...."
"FART!"
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 am

Caradoc wrote:Our defense is bad because...

I mean aren't like 95% of defenses today "bend don't break" BECAUSE of the rule changes?
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 am

Agent Orange wrote:DK obviously had confidence in our defense when he opted to defer. That might have had more to do with Chicago's inept offense but obviously he was confident. In my opinion the team was distracted and not focused. The only reason that there would be a distraction is Winston. Conte was out 2nd half against the Steelers. We didn't give up a point against a far superior offense than the Bears. You lost me at Conte btw. They were not focused and because of the QB situation we got crushed. I love all these articles about how Chicago's coaching staff are offensive gurus. They have never shown it before and most likely won't again. Not like that at least.

I'm sorry everyone but I can't help but go OSB* on this fool. HOLYSHIT! That has to be the dumbest thing you've ever posted here or any other board. Even dumber than your years of Gerald McCoy hate. You're basically saying we have the largest group of mentally weak players in the league. But you don't actually believe that. No, it's you who are mentally weak and an idiot. You've completely embarrassed yourself with this ridiculous stance that you have ZERO proof or validation on. It doesn't even add up. With as much **** as people, FOOTBALL PLAYERS INCLUDED, think about and go thru in life they somehow pull it together every Sunday and do their jobs. Yet on this afternoon it wasn't life that distracted them. It was who the starting QB was going to be. Newsflash dumbass! They all know this is Jameis Winston's team! It's not rocket science or a big shocker. They all know it. You're just too ignorant and stupid to admit it.

*Old School Bootz
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:48 am

The loss was failure of the team and that's all players who stepped on to the field that day. Gholston when playing end rarely let plays like that happen. There is so much focus on getting to the QB, we are giving up big plays on any down. If you break down the plays of the game, we lose far more of the plays and we need to win them instead.

I. Johnson and J. Evans played all 60 snaps, after that only 9 players played more than forty snaps. Edit: 9 total played 40 or more snaps.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Next

Return to Team Discussions