Mike Smith’s replacement

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
When would you fire Mike Smith

Poll ended at Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Immediately. How did he ever get hired? Leave him on the tarmac.
84%
After the bye
2%
Week 17
11%
I love Mike Smith. The problem is the players.
2%

Total votes : 44

Re: Mike Smith’s replacement

Postby terrytate » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Cheb wrote:
viva la Reagan wrote:while i wholeheartedly agree that smith should be fired tonight, i don’t get the buckner love. it’s not as if his d-line is lighting it up and playing inspired ball. is he a fan favorite because he’s gruff and he yells a lot?

People like gruffness and yelling.

You could also argue that he's turning around the pass rush, what with 8 sacks in four games against our 22 all of last year. You could also argue that's due to personnel changes, but I digress.

Yup. We went from dead last in sacks to middle of the road. It also happened while we've had a constant revolving door at DT. McCoy is the only DT to play in all 4 games if I am not mistaken. That said, Licht easily gets as much of the credit with the addition of JPP. He's well on his way to being our first double digit sack guy since the Bush presidency.
terrytate

Postby Swashy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:31 pm

At this point I'll take anyone. It's been proven year in and year out that no matter how much talent we add, the result is going to be the same. We had one.... ONE good stretch 2 years ago during a 5 game win streak and since that time anyone and everyone has been able to thoroughly whoop our ass any given day. Smith is a lame duck at this point and I am no longer willing to be patient. I'm willing to wait the year out. But at this point it is abundantly clear that we will not and will never take the next step with Smith as our DC.

For his sake we get our **** together after the bye, the defense is suddenly lights out, we win and he gets hired. But the odds of that? Less than 50/50
Swashy

Postby The Outsider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 pm

terrytate wrote:He's well on his way to being our first double digit sack guy since the Bush presidency.

Of all of the terrible things Obama did, preventing us from having a double digit sack guy is probably the worst.
The Outsider

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Cheb wrote:
viva la Reagan wrote:while i wholeheartedly agree that smith should be fired tonight, i don’t get the buckner love. it’s not as if his d-line is lighting it up and playing inspired ball. is he a fan favorite because he’s gruff and he yells a lot?

You could also argue that he's turning around the pass rush, what with 8 sacks in four games against our 22 all of last year. You could also argue that's due to personnel changes, but I digress.

The defensive line hasn’t been lights out, but getting the production we have gotten while missing 3/5 of our new DL additions speaks to Buckner’s effect. He isn’t a perfect DC candidate, but his unit has measurably improved. He also just feels like someone headed for a DC job someday so I’m willing to give a try. Mike Smith is really just that bad.
PrimeMinister

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:22 pm

The members of this board could take a weekly shot at the job and be just as effective....or perhaps it is ineffective....as Smith with the chance that it would be better.
Four Verticals

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:36 am

The Outsider wrote:
terrytate wrote:He's well on his way to being our first double digit sack guy since the Bush presidency.

Of all of the terrible things Obama did, preventing us from having a double digit sack guy is probably the worst.

Thanks Obama!
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

The Outsider wrote:

Trump has given us Mike Smith. I think they’re even.
PrimeMinister

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am

Mike Smith's replacement can not get here soon enough.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

Deja Entendu wrote:Typical Bucs fans and their knee jerk reactions. If you think Mike Smith is the problem here, then you don't know what you're watching. There's no way anyone is stupid enough to actually believe that nonsense, right? I hope he had to buy his own ticket home.

I made a reply to this blasting you for being wrong. Then I reread your post. Oops. Delete! :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Defense5599 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

Jack Del Rio. Great DC. Lousy head coach.
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am

Nano wrote:It can't get any worse. We just allowed 48 points and 6 TDs(Almost 7) to Mitch Trubitchsky and the Bears. We need a change.

Yep. Take away the one pick six by Fitz last week and the D has given up 132 points. In 4 games. The only word for that is, pathetic.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MJW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am

I'd like to give Brenston Buckner a shot.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:50 am

Buc2 wrote:
Nano wrote:It can't get any worse. We just allowed 48 points and 6 TDs(Almost 7) to Mitch Trubitchsky and the Bears. We need a change.

Yep. Take away the one pick six by Fitz last week and the D has given up 132 points. In 4 games. The only word for that is, pathetic.

Gotdamn! I knew it was bad but when you put it that way. What the hell are they doing on D?!
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:10 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Gotdamn! I knew it was bad but when you put it that way. What the hell are they doing on D?!

The most points allowed in a season is 533 by the '81 Baltimore Colts. 2nd most was 501 by the '66 Giants. 3rd most was 487 by the '80 Saints. The Bucs are on pace to allow 556.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BacksidePursuit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Raheem, Schiano, Lovie, Koetter.

Horrible secondaries, bad pass rush, mediocre (at best) drafting, not making the most of our talent, Never ever thinking "wow we really outsmarted, adjusted, game-planned well, etc. in that game"

Same **** different people in charge. We are just one of 'those' teams. At least most of you live in the area, I just happened to pick this team as a kid living in Utah. I came along just in time to miss the good years, they've been trash my entire rooting life. I really could not have picked any worse. Oh well, it's just my lot in life at this point.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:22 pm

If Baltimore moves on from John Harbaugh, I'd take him over Koetter in a heartbeat.

Hell, give me the entire Baltimore coaching staff if they are dumb enough to let them go.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby IronDog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:Raheem, Schiano, Lovie, Koetter.
I really could not have picked any worse.

Um.....you could have picked the Browns.
IronDog

Postby BacksidePursuit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

IronDog wrote:
BacksidePursuit wrote:Raheem, Schiano, Lovie, Koetter.
I really could not have picked any worse.

Um.....you could have picked the Browns.

At least the Browns are hilarious. And everyone likes them because of how bad they've been, there is a solidarity there.

How many off seasons have we (I) gotten hyped up about the roster and all the improvement we've made. And it has never, ever happened.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Buccs99 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:41 pm

MJW wrote:I'd like to give Brenston Buckner a shot.

i dont see it happening but i wouldnt be opposed to it. he has huge upside from the sounds of it. very vocal and liked.

Duffner has experience but it's just that. experience.

The idea of bringing in Del Rio sounds awesome...just dont know how helpful that would be now for the rest of the season.
Buccs99

Postby MJW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Buccs99 wrote:
MJW wrote:I'd like to give Brenston Buckner a shot.

i dont see it happening but i wouldnt be opposed to it. he has huge upside from the sounds of it. very vocal and liked.

The idea of bringing in Del Rio sounds awesome...just dont know how helpful that would be now for the rest of the season.

My fear with Del Rio is that we'd get a little better on defense (which seems inevitable when Smith is replaced), then OBP would give him the HC job next year for "continuity."
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 pm

MJW wrote:
Buccs99 wrote:

My fear with Del Rio is that we'd get a little better on defense (which seems inevitable when Smith is replaced), then OBP would give him the HC job next year for "continuity."

:lol:

Wait. That's not funny.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm

MJW wrote:
Buccs99 wrote:

Such an awesome post....
Super K

Postby acacius » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm

At this point, I'd be willing to give Ham Sandwich a shot.
acacius

Postby IronDog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:12 pm

MJW wrote:
Buccs99 wrote:

Agreed. But the again, that would be the concern with any of those out-of-work yahoos with "experience". I mean, they are out of work for a reason.
IronDog

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Cheb wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think that Mike Smith is well worthy of being fired.

But who do you replace him with?

Buckner, probably the most popular choice, has no experience as a defensive coordinator at any level. Neither does the other DL coach Paul Spicer.

Mark Duffner, linebacker coach, hasn't been a coordinator for fifteen years. It should be noted that his defense at that time set franchise records for sacks, and was the best Bengal defense in terms of yards allowed and points scored in fifteen years. However, as I said, all that was fifteen years ago. For context, Jameis Winston was seven years old then.

DB coach Brett Maxie has also never been a defensive coordinator. Jon Hoke, also a secondary coach has however. He most recently was DC at South Carolina two years ago, and dropped them from 92nd overall defense to 96th in his only year at that job.

Good luck with an outside hire at this stage.

For this reason, I chose Week 17. I know people are saying "it can't get worse" but we didn't allow 6 TD's to Brees or Roethlisberger. The defense will be bad, but it won't be this bad all season. If you want to give Buckner a shot, do it, but with maybe 4-5 games left. I wouldn't hand it over to him with 12 games left after one horrific game.

Buckner's coaching resume is pretty short, he's never coached besides the d-line, which he played. We still have hope this season, and there's no reason to throw it away by promoting someone too quickly. It could also affect his future, if it went poorly.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Deuce wrote:
Cheb wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think that Mike Smith is well worthy of being fired.

Buckner, probably the most popular choice, has no experience as a defensive coordinator at any level. Neither does the other DL coach Paul Spicer.

Mark Duffner, linebacker coach, hasn't been a coordinator for fifteen years. It should be noted that his defense at that time set franchise records for sacks, and was the best Bengal defense in terms of yards allowed and points scored in fifteen years. However, as I said, all that was fifteen years ago. For context, Jameis Winston was seven years old then.

DB coach Brett Maxie has also never been a defensive coordinator. Jon Hoke, also a secondary coach has however. He most recently was DC at South Carolina two years ago, and dropped them from 92nd overall defense to 96th in his only year at that job.

For this reason, I chose Week 17. I know people are saying "it can't get worse" but we didn't allow 6 TD's to Brees or Roethlisberger. The defense will be bad, but it won't be this bad all season. If you want to give Buckner a shot, do it, but with maybe 4-5 games left. I wouldn't hand it over to him with 12 games left after one horrific game.

Buckner's coaching resume is pretty short, he's never coached besides the d-line, which he played. We still have hope this season, and there's no reason to throw it away by promoting someone too quickly. It could also affect his future, if it went poorly.

That's only because we were busy scoring our own 4-5 TD's and keeping them off the field.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:11 pm

acacius wrote:At this point, I'd be willing to give Ham Sandwich a shot.

Wait...someone told me he was our GM.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Deuce wrote:

Not a bad point. Taking over DC here is risky for Buckner. I still believe he would take the job.

I know it’s early in the year, but it isn’t early in Mike Smith’s Buccaneers tenure. Smith has lead the defense to one historically bad season and another “regular bad” season. Our best defensive rating with him was in Year 1: 20th. Last year Mike Smith’s defense was dead last and he is trending to match that inauspicious statistic this season.

He has shown enough as a DC to be fired a year ago.
PrimeMinister

Postby acacius » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:26 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
acacius wrote:At this point, I'd be willing to give Ham Sandwich a shot.

Wait...someone told me he was our GM.

No, that's Fax Machine. An easy mistake to make.
acacius

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Cheb wrote:

Yep half the sacks are from one new guy
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions