Mike Smith’s replacement

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
When would you fire Mike Smith

Poll ended at Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Immediately. How did he ever get hired? Leave him on the tarmac.
84%
After the bye
2%
Week 17
11%
I love Mike Smith. The problem is the players.
2%

Total votes : 44

Mike Smith’s replacement

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:42 pm

I think UTBBBBBB is unanimous: Mike Smith has to go. When would you fire Smith? Who would you replace him with if you fire him mid season? Who are the coaches out there that we’re overlooking?

I think Buckner would be a fan favorite, but I don’t believe he is ready. Clearly something has to change, but I’m not sure what coaching prospects are out there.
PrimeMinister

Re: Mike Smith’s replacement

Postby PetePierson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Leslie Frazier?
PetePierson

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Buckner. Everyone was raving about him. Why not?
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:45 pm

PetePierson wrote:Leslie Frazier?

PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Pete, you know what happens when you mention Leslie Frazier as a possible DC candidate in 2018?? You know what happens?????

Bootz2004

Postby PetePierson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:50 pm

I'll wear that one!
PetePierson

Postby Nano » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 pm

At this point...get rid of him. ****, give Koetter the defensive playcalling duties. He's obviously not doing anything else on the sidelines beside be outclassed.
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 pm

This one should be unanimous. There’s been zero growth in this defense since Smith got here despite the personnel improving.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Typical Bucs fans and their knee jerk reactions. If you think Mike Smith is the problem here, then you don't know what you're watching. There's no way anyone is stupid enough to actually believe that nonsense, right? I hope he had to buy his own ticket home.
Deja Entendu

Postby Cheb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I think that Mike Smith is well worthy of being fired.

But who do you replace him with?

Buckner, probably the most popular choice, has no experience as a defensive coordinator at any level. Neither does the other DL coach Paul Spicer.

Mark Duffner, linebacker coach, hasn't been a coordinator for fifteen years. It should be noted that his defense at that time set franchise records for sacks, and was the best Bengal defense in terms of yards allowed and points scored in fifteen years. However, as I said, all that was fifteen years ago. For context, Jameis Winston was seven years old then.

DB coach Brett Maxie has also never been a defensive coordinator. Jon Hoke, also a secondary coach has however. He most recently was DC at South Carolina two years ago, and dropped them from 92nd overall defense to 96th in his only year at that job.

Good luck with an outside hire at this stage.
Cheb

Postby Caradoc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 pm

I am all for giving Buck his shot. At least he might be able to get them to play with some passion. Honestly, I think the biggest part of improving on D is just getting Smith out of the loop. And there is really no reason to NOT make the change. Three years in and we seem to be regressing, not growing, even after we added a bunch of talent up front. And While I won’t say things literally can’t get worse, from a practical standpoint, they really can’t.
Caradoc

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Schiano.
UbuntuBuc

Postby IronDog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Cheb wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think that Mike Smith is well worthy of being fired.

Buckner, probably the most popular choice, has no experience as a defensive coordinator at any level. Neither does the other DL coach Paul Spicer.

Mark Duffner, linebacker coach, hasn't been a coordinator for fifteen years. It should be noted that his defense at that time set franchise records for sacks, and was the best Bengal defense in terms of yards allowed and points scored in fifteen years. However, as I said, all that was fifteen years ago. For context, Jameis Winston was seven years old then.

DB coach Brett Maxie has also never been a defensive coordinator. Jon Hoke, also a secondary coach has however. He most recently was DC at South Carolina two years ago, and dropped them from 92nd overall defense to 96th in his only year at that job.

Bunker has no experience as a DC. Fine. Mike Smith has a bunch, and it ain't doing anyone any good. Well, that's not entirely true. The Bears and the Steelers were pretty well off I guess.
IronDog

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Everyone gets their start somewhere.
Bootz2004

Postby The Outsider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Anyone who promises not to play soft zone coverage.
The Outsider

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:49 pm

The Outsider wrote:Anyone who promises not to play soft zone coverage.

Probably could've benefited from some soft zone today. Played a lot of man which resulted in LBs covering their RBs.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Anyone who promises not to play soft zone coverage.

Probably could've benefited from some soft zone today. Played a lot of man which resulted in LBs covering their RBs.

Wisdom.
Cheb

Postby MikeC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Everyone gets their start somewhere.

Basically this. I’d can’t imagine Buckner would do worse. My only question is...does he aspire to be the DC? If so, give it to him as an interim position and sort it out next year
MikeC

Postby Nano » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm

It can't get any worse. We just allowed 48 points and 6 TDs(Almost 7) to Mitch Trubitchsky and the Bears. We need a change.
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 pm

IronDog wrote:
Cheb wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I think that Mike Smith is well worthy of being fired.

Bunker has no experience as a DC. Fine. Mike Smith has a bunch, and it ain't doing anyone any good. Well, that's not entirely true. The Bears and the Steelers were pretty well off I guess.

It’s hard to argue against this.

After thinking on it more if Buck shows that he wants to be a DC I’d give him a shot. It legitimately can’t get any worse. We are allowing opposing QBs to have career days against us. Let’s just see what Buck can do.

At this point something HAS to be done. I know the defense has been bad for 3 years, but before now Smith could argue that the players sucked. He has enough talent on that team not to get blown out by 45 points to Mitch Trubisky. There won’t be one fan in Tampa crying for Mike Smith or claiming we fired him too soon. Pull the trigger and let’s see what we have in Buckner.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Those who are voting for no change until week 17...why?
PrimeMinister

Postby Nano » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm more curious about the person that still blames the players
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Nano wrote:I'm more curious about the person that still blames the players

Deja Entendu wrote:Typical Bucs fans and their knee jerk reactions. If you think Mike Smith is the problem here, then you don't know what you're watching. There's no way anyone is stupid enough to actually believe that nonsense, right? I hope he had to buy his own ticket home.
Bootz2004

Postby The Outsider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Wisdom.

I really stopped paying attention when it was 28-0. I knew what was happening.

I do recall that I said in the game thread something along the lines of us needing to put an extra DB in to cover Cohen.
The Outsider

Postby Nano » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 pm

I took the last line to mean that the post was sarcastic. Guess he still could've voted that he loved Mike Smith though.
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:22 pm

I’m pretty sure Deja was being sarcastic.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Uh yeah, I thought after the first two lines started to build everyone's blood pressure, it'd be clear I was just fanning the flames.

A quick glance at the other Smith thread makes me believe Doctor is the one on the island. It makes no sense.
Deja Entendu

Postby terrytate » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Truths. We'd have to hope some head coach with a good DC gets fired midseason.

Even if there was a decent candidate, I am not sure I would can Smith unless my chosen replacement was already on staff. Asking a new DC to learn the current scheme or the players to learn the scheme of the new DC, in the middle of the season, it asking too much. We are just going to have to settle in and hope it gets better.

Remember, we were running a very depleted secondary out there. We were on our third string SS, an aging Grimes and a collection of unproven, banged up rookie CB's. Come the Falcons game, we should have a lot of valuble players either back "Allen, Whitehead" or healthier "Vea, Stewart, Davis". Hopefully that means something.
terrytate

Postby viva la Reagan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

while i wholeheartedly agree that smith should be fired tonight, i don’t get the buckner love. it’s not as if his d-line is lighting it up and playing inspired ball. is he a fan favorite because he’s gruff and he yells a lot?
viva la Reagan

Postby Cheb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 pm

viva la Reagan wrote:while i wholeheartedly agree that smith should be fired tonight, i don’t get the buckner love. it’s not as if his d-line is lighting it up and playing inspired ball. is he a fan favorite because he’s gruff and he yells a lot?

People like gruffness and yelling.

You could also argue that he's turning around the pass rush, what with 8 sacks in four games against our 22 all of last year. You could also argue that's due to personnel changes, but I digress.
Cheb

Next

Return to Team Discussions