Robert Ayers was right all along

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Robert Ayers was right all along

Postby tjax03 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

tjax03

Re: Robert Ayers was right all along

Postby The Outsider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:07 pm

I mean, yeah that was obvious then.
The Outsider

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:17 am

A damning condemnation.

My high school defense is more complicated.

Ai karumba.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am

Man enough/not man enough

Interesting that when they tried to give the fans something more than playing 8 yards off the ball, they got torched to living hell.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 am

Cover 3 & Quarters.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:25 am

The sad thing is that if we only play these limited coverage how are we still so disorganized in the secondary?
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 am

DreadNaught wrote:The sad thing is that if we only play these limited coverage how are we still so disorganized in the secondary?

We've run more man to man this year than we did when Ayers was here. This year it appears to be mostly mental. In Ayers time we just weren't that good.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:07 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The sad thing is that if we only play these limited coverage how are we still so disorganized in the secondary?

anytime we see 3 WR's bunched together it will be a problem. 2 defenders go to the same guy leaving the 3rd WR wide open.. happens alot.especially with Davis and Stewert.
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

It's a matter of coordination and communication. There have been at least a dozen huge communication errors this year that directly led to scores or enormous gains.

I don't blame the players here. They have all played through years of high school, college, and professional football. They were all successful at those levels presumably, because they both made it to the NFL and are good enough to be taking NFL snaps. It isn't like they don't know what zone coverage is, or how man coverage works. Nor is it likely that they're forgotten all those years of success leading up to this point.

Playing defensive back shouldn't be rocket science. Indeed, it isn't. Every coverage has certain rules and responsibilities. Especially if Mike Smith only ran two coverages last year, those rules and responsibilities should be burned into the secondary's brains.

You can scribble out a defense real quick based on Mike Smith principles. That means there's no exotic switches, no matching up your corners. Straight vanilla basic-as-fuck coverage. Only two coverages.

If I were to hazard a guess, those coverages are Cover-1 Man and Cover-4 with pattern matching.

Let's make an index card for an outside corner:

- In Cover-1 man, you are locked up on the #1 (that means outside most receiving threat). Follow him everywhere using a trail technique.
- In Cover 4, key the #1 receiver. If he goes vertical, you go vertical in man coverage in a trail technique. If he breaks off on a short route (hitch, slant), you fast flow to contest. If he goes shallow across the formation, you are playing deep 1/4 zone, with your eye on the #2 receiver.

Done. How ****ing hard is that?

That fact that the players can't retain something so elementary is directly a coaching problem. Full stop. I routine teach that to high schoolers in under ten minutes, and they can retain it.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 am

mdb1958 wrote:Man enough/not man enough

Interesting that when they tried to give the fans something more than playing 8 yards off the ball, they got torched to living hell.

Are new and improved DL wasn't getting any penetration. DBs couldn't bump.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 am

Doctor wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Man enough/not man enough

Are Our new and improved DL wasn't getting any penetration. DBs couldn't bump.

Please direct all future DL comments to DN and Licht. I wanted 4 defensive linemen in the draft. I wanted something in the oven, I wanted overkill. If the coaching staff is teaching their azz of on our DB's right now, we could have been not very far off using UDFA's.

The bottom is the bottom.
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 am

That’s a good analysts, Cheb. It seems to me that these DBs were probably relying on Conte to tell them what you teach your players to do in 10 minutes.

Seems like they were all relying on the guy who could barely cover to tell everyone who to cover and when he wasn’t there these pups were in the dark.
Brazen331

Return to Team Discussions