Mike Smith

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Mike Smith

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am

Buc2 wrote:Mike Smith rides the kiddy roller coaster at the Florida State Fair.

Mike Smith taught Buc2 how to post pics....
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 am

:?:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby obsolete » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Mike Smith uses Netscape Navigator as his browser.
obsolete

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Smith: Boys, we got a problem cuz the Tandyman knows our defense better than I do...
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

fixed
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Buc2 wrote:

fixed

beardmcdoug

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Mike Smith is Mike Stoops mentor
ComingThisFall

Postby Native Son » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Mike Smith WILL set the record for the 'MOST GAMEDAY BOARD CRASHES in 2018'

Currently at 1... and counting.
Native Son

Postby Fiasco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 pm

ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:Mike Smith thinks the prequels are the 3 best Star Wars movies.

Mike Smith likes Star Wars...
Fiasco

Postby Caradoc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Fiasco wrote:
ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:Mike Smith thinks the prequels are the 3 best Star Wars movies.

Mike Smith likes Star Wars...

Not getting this thread, are you?
Caradoc

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 am

Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby serbiabuc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

finally got to see conferences on Monday...

what i caught up:

1- Koetter is still protecting Smith taking part of the blame on himself. admirable, but overall, if everyone is to blame, where is responsibility?
2- have a feeling Buckner will make something out of this DL... they will not be top 3 DL in league, but good/solid DL is not out of question
3- Hoke have zero trust in his secondary, and taking out Grimes at half time was either Smith or Koetter decision. I have a feeling it was Koetter
4- Mike Smith is nowhere to be seen. again, to coach Koetter, responsibility, hello?! i understand Smith is coward who is afraid to face the heat, however it is HC job to make him. be a man and own your mistakes. hopefully we will see him during the week... or he will continue to hide behind positional coordinators?
serbiabuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm sure this has been said.

I think Mike Smith sucks, but there's a direct correlation to a good run game and a good defense in the NFL. The Saints defense last season started performing well the more they ran the ball. Same with the Patriots, Falcons, Rams, Steelers, Jaguars etc.. Great defenses can overcome this, but our run game is **** and we are extremely boom/bust on offense. The more teams pass and the shorter time they score/get off the field for 3 and outs, the worse their defense performs. Our offense has been the epitome of boom bust. We are 20th in time of possession (27th at home), the only thing saving us from being worse is that our defense often gives up huge plays themselves.
uscbucsfan

Postby Fiasco » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Mike Smith likes Star Wars...

Not getting this thread, are you?

I understand this thread like Mike Smith understands defense.
Fiasco

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Excellent recovery
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:13 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
there's a direct correlation to a good run game and a good defense in the NFL. The Saints defense last season started performing well the more they ran the ball. Same with the Patriots, Falcons, Rams, Steelers, Jaguars etc..

This statement reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "good defense" means and what a final score means. You can have two exactly equal defenses playing exactly equal offenses, and each can allow TD on 80% of drives and 3 and out on the other 20, and one of those defenses can have half the points scored against it that the other did because it's team controlled the TOP while the other team did not.

The Saints defense didn't get better because of the running game. It got better because they added and developed talent and got better at coaching it. The final 'Scoring defense" and yardage total may have looked better because there were less possessions by both teams, and the running game certainly helped the offense, but that doesn't mean the defense "got better" other than perhaps marginally because it was more rested - and that is generally a wash because the opposing offense is more rested.
Caradoc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Caradoc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
there's a direct correlation to a good run game and a good defense in the NFL. The Saints defense last season started performing well the more they ran the ball. Same with the Patriots, Falcons, Rams, Steelers, Jaguars etc..

This statement reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "good defense" means and what a final score means. You can have two exactly equal defenses playing exactly equal offenses, and each can allow TD on 80% of drives and 3 and out on the other 20, and one of those defenses can have half the points scored against it that the other did because it's team controlled the TOP while the other team did not.

The Saints defense didn't get better because of the running game. It got better because they added and developed talent and got better at coaching it. The final 'Scoring defense" and yardage total may have looked better because there were less possessions by both teams, and the running game certainly helped the offense, but that doesn't mean the defense "got better" other than perhaps marginally because it was more rested - and that is generally a wash because the opposing offense is more rested.

Giving up a lot of points and yards are exactly how defenses are judged. Talented defenses throughout history have suffered blowouts when they aren't supported and left on an the field. They progressively get worse. They aren't any worse in talent, they simply wear down and lose confidence.

The Saint defense struggled prior to committing to the run they didn't add any players prior to committing to the run more, just like they didn't lose any when they struggled to sustain drives earlier this year.

We lack talent on our D, but without a run game that's exploited exponentially. Even the best defenses of all time struggle when left on the field the entire game.

It's no coincidence that most NFL and college coaches believe that a run game is the defenses best friend. It's beyond a cliche and we have no run game.

edit: re-reading your post we are saying the same thing. I'm not making a claim that a run game injects talent or better schemes to a defense, just that defensive production increases and less points are given up. My point is with a competent run game we would put up better defensive numbers much like the Saints, Pats, Jags, or any football team. When those teams can't run the ball or the new "run through the air" with short passes they typically give up a lot more points. Our offense has been feast or famine with big chunks to either score, turn the ball over, or turnover on downs. It's leaving our already weak defense on the field more.
uscbucsfan

Postby Native Son » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I swear,
IF...

JPP and Gmac go postal on Ryan, revealing that maybe the Bears game was an aberration because of the short week against a rested, momentum driven, non-divisional opponent, or whatever the reason we looked like an aggregate of putrid pustules.....

Naaahhh..
Couldn't happen...ummmm :drinkingcheers:
Native Son

Postby serbiabuc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:31 pm

so, Mike Smith has faced the reporters... and what we heard from him was:

1) we need to get better - at least he manage to understand this much
2) we had some good days and some bad days - he didn't specify which days were good
3) 4th game was a bit problematic, but first three were more good then bad - i guess 40 points is not that bad... well, 40 points from Brees does look good when you compare it with 48 points from Trubisky, true that
4) Sky is not falling - true. and I'm not shitting on my kitchen table. not sure how it helps our defense though
5) he is bigger critic of his work then we are - really? we want you gone! you want to stay! i guess you are critically collecting your paycheck.

well, at least he didn't said we had communication problems...
serbiabuc

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 pm

serbiabuc wrote:so, Mike Smith has faced the reporters... and what we heard from him was:

2) we had some good days and some bad days - he didn't specify which days were good
3) 4th game was a bit problematic, but first three were more good then bad - i guess 40 points is not that bad... well, 40 points from Brees does look good when you compare it with 48 points from Trubisky, true that
4) Sky is not falling - true. and I'm not shitting on my kitchen table. not sure how it helps our defense though
5) he is bigger critic of his work then we are - really? we want you gone! you want to stay! i guess you are critically collecting your paycheck.

What?

:lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm

serbiabuc wrote:so, Mike Smith has faced the reporters... and what we heard from him was:

Dude LMAO!!!!
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:36 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Dude LMAO!!!!

That was a great post Serbia...the kitchen table crack had me rollin!
Super K

Postby deltbucs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 am

Mike Smith thinks Jon Gruden is an offensive genius.
deltbucs

Postby Seamen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Mike Smith is an offensive genius
Seamen

Postby Super K » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Mike Smith's defense is offensive...
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Mike Smith told Kyrie about the flat earth theory
beardmcdoug

Postby RedLeader » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Mike Smith drank beer in college.
RedLeader

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

RedLeader wrote:Mike Smith drank beer in college.

Mike Smith thinks “Devils Triangle” is a Cover Three concept.

When asked, Mitch Trubisky declined to comment.
Rocker

Postby Cheb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Rocker wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Mike Smith drank beer in college.

Mike Smith thinks “Devils Triangle” is a Cover Three concept.

When asked, Mitch Trubisky declined to comment.

Lol.
Cheb

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:56 am

Mike Smith's parents let him name himself, and that was the most creative thing he could think of.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions