**Week 4 @Chicago Bears Discussion Thread**

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: **Week 4 @Chicago Bears Discussion Thread**

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:We're not built to be a consistent running team. This system is built around the QB and big plays down the field. The pass sets up the run here.

Look at the Chiefs though. They can run the ball when they need to, and that’s the real difference between their offense and ours.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:We're not built to be a consistent running team. This system is built around the QB and big plays down the field. The pass sets up the run here.

I don't disagree. We don't need to be great running team, but we need to be more effective then we have been thusfar imo (Bucs are dead last in yards per carry).

Balance is important and once we get into November and December the teams that can run the and are able to stop the run usually separate themselves.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

Look at the Chiefs though. They can run the ball when they need to, and that’s the real difference between their offense and ours.

The Chiefs are built to run the ball. What Mahomes is doing is amazing and has a lot to do with his ability as a passer right now.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:17 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I don't disagree. We don't need to be great running team, but we need to be more effective then we have been thusfar imo (Bucs are dead last in yards per carry).

Balance is important and once we get into November and December the teams that can run the and are able to stop the run usually separate themselves.

Agreed. I think we will find balance as the year goes on. But Barber is not that guy. He's basically the only "threat" we have a RB which is a huge problem. Hopefully Jones gets it going. I also think not having Winston in there plays a factor as well.
Bootz2004

Postby SIBucsFan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Chris Conte to IR with knee injury.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/9/25/17 ... nte-on-i-r

I'd imagine this opens up a spot for Godwin Igwebuike.
SIBucsFan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Look at the Chiefs though. They can run the ball when they need to, and that’s the real difference between their offense and ours.

The Chiefs are built to run the ball. What Mahomes is doing is amazing and has a lot to do with his ability as a passer right now.

Would be nice if we were built to run the ball too.
real bucs fan

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Conte was pathetic on that long TD pass. He was missing tackles before that, too. He's the weakest link in our secondary.
DanTurksGhost

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Rookies getting thrown into the fire, our starting secondary now includes a 3 rookies, a 2nd year player, and Grimes. At least the Bears aren't going to be going after them a whole lot. Week 6 will be a test though, so hopefully they are ready.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:20 pm

SIBucsFan wrote:Chris Conte to IR with knee injury.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/9/25/17 ... nte-on-i-r

I'd imagine this opens up a spot for Godwin Igwebuike.

Hope so. I don't think he had much of an opportunity to shine in the preseason. If he gets another opportunity,hopefully he can seize it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:Conte was pathetic on that long TD pass. He was missing tackles before that, too. He's the weakest link in our secondary.

Conte gets very justifiable heat from fans and that stiffarm was brutal. I don't know if anyone noticed, but he did get back in the game for a time and suplexed a receiver. albeit onto himself
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm

If we can't run the ball we're in trouble vs the Bears. Kalil Mack will kill Fitz. Gotta get the ball out extremely quickly in the passing game. No time for those long developing routes.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:42 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:If we can't run the ball we're in trouble vs the Bears. Kalil Mack will kill Fitz. Gotta get the ball out extremely quickly in the passing game. No time for those long developing routes.

You're talking about changing philosophy of this system in 6 days.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:If we can't run the ball we're in trouble vs the Bears. Kalil Mack will kill Fitz. Gotta get the ball out extremely quickly in the passing game. No time for those long developing routes.

You're talking about changing philosophy of this system in 6 days.

I'd settle for like 1/3rd of those obvious playaction plays actually being handed off. I don't think that'd be a radical change.

We have a grinding back who has to this point of his career gotten stronger with more carries. Giving him 14 carries a game isn't working. Can't imagine why not.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:26 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:Conte was pathetic on that long TD pass. He was missing tackles before that, too. He's the weakest link in our secondary.

One things for sure, now the fans are going to look for another guy to blame for the missed assignments.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 am

It seems more fans bitch about other fans bitching about Conte, then there are actual fans bitching about Conte.

The guy was a below average NFL Safety, but still good enough to carve out a decent career when most players never get a 2nd contract.

Happy Trails Conte... Unfortunately you'll be remembered more for your lowlights then your highlights.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 am

DreadNaught wrote:It seems more fans bitch about other fans bitching about Conte, then there are actual fans bitching about Conte.

The guy was a below average NFL Safety, but still good enough to carve out a decent career when most players never get a 2nd contract.

Happy Trails Conte... Unfortunately you'll be remembered more for your lowlights then your highlights.

one more for the road

beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:It seems more fans bitch about other fans bitching about Conte, then there are actual fans bitching about Conte.

one more for the road

Here's a question - what was Conte's plan going in? Hug his neck to the ground? How the heck do you play in the NFL for eight years and think that's how you tackle?
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:06 am

So, is Isaiah Johnson in concussion protocol? Did Ryan Smith strain something or did he get the team support slap in the face?
mdb1958

Postby DonkeyHunter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:47 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Agreed. I think we will find balance as the year goes on. But Barber is not that guy. He's basically the only "threat" we have a RB which is a huge problem. Hopefully Jones gets it going. I also think not having Winston in there plays a factor as well.

I would like to see Wilson get worked into the rotation more. He has speed and the quickness to get to the edge.

With Quizz whiffing on as many blocks as he did Monday night, and the inability to do anything productive running; I wouldn't be pissed at all to see Wilson get a half-dozen touches this weekend.
DonkeyHunter

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:02 am

So we played all defensive ends and Big Gerald and our process was that was our best chance to win? If Vea was cleared for practice and deemed a no play, then whats going on? The Steelers two biggest runs were right at McCoy and Gholston where they were blocked out for the big play.

Does Vea play now?
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 am

beardmcdoug wrote:

one more for the road

Post a meme with Conte in a pool lounger with a binky in his mouth.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:05 am

mdb1958 wrote:So, is Isaiah Johnson in concussion protocol? Did Ryan Smith strain something or did he get the team support slap in the face?

The Bucs (like most teams) don't sub their back 7, so starting secondary along with Kwon and LVD usually get close to 100% of the defensive snaps barring injury.

Carlton Davis and Grimes were the starting CBs Monday night. Are you suggesting Ryan Smith should've started over either one? I get Grimes played poorly, but I didn't see ANYONE comment that Ryan Smith should start over Grimes before the game.

Ryan Smith doesn't play nickel CB and I don't think we've had him at Safety since his rookie season 2-3yrs ago.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am

mdb1958 wrote:So we played all defensive ends and Big Gerald and our process was that was our best chance to win? If Vea was cleared for practice and deemed a no play, then whats going on? The Steelers two biggest runs were right at McCoy and Gholston where they were blocked out for the big play.

Does Vea play now?

Vea missed the entirety of training camp. He hadn't put on pads in nine months. If the coaching staff saw him on the practice field last week and felt that he needed to knock off some rust prior to playing the Steelers, that would have made a ton of sense. I would be hesitant to give any player that rusty a large number of reps, even if he came back looking good. Obviously he didn't look ready to go enough in practice to consider playing him against the Steelers. Hopefully he'll bounce back this Sunday.

Vea's situation is close to Winston's, but it isn't analogous. Winston played all through training camp and lit up the preseason, albeit against backup defenders. Winston also was doing football-like activities and drills during his time away from the team, unlike Vea who was confined to the pool and stationary bike.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am

mdb1958 wrote:So we played all defensive ends and Big Gerald and our process was that was our best chance to win? If Vea was cleared for practice and deemed a no play, then whats going on? The Steelers two biggest runs were right at McCoy and Gholston where they were blocked out for the big play.

Does Vea play now?

Being cleared for practice is a big milestone. But Vea was still 'limited' in practice last week. One thing to monitor this week is if he gets upgraded to "full".

If so, there is a better chance he plays Sunday.

But with the bye following this game the Bucs may elect to be cautious and have him 100% for the final 12 games after the bye.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 am

DreadNaught wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:So, is Isaiah Johnson in concussion protocol? Did Ryan Smith strain something or did he get the team support slap in the face?

The Bucs (like most teams) don't sub their back 7, so starting secondary along with Kwon and LVD usually get close to 100% of the defensive snaps barring injury.

Carlton Davis and Grimes were the starting CBs Monday night. Are you suggesting Ryan Smith should've started over either one? I get Grimes played poorly, but I didn't see ANYONE comment that Ryan Smith should start over Grimes before the game.

Ryan Smith doesn't play nickel CB and I don't think we've had him at Safety since his rookie season 2-3yrs ago.

I'm saying we got 3 safety's and one ran into a wall.
I'm saying Smith got no defensive snaps and still leads the team in pd's.
I'm saying our special team ace played 26 snaps without a tackle.
mdb1958

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 am

#Bucs have a 3-day roster exemption for QB Jameis Winston, who is on the Commissioner’s Exempt list. They don’t have to make a roster move until Friday. Don’t expect a QB announcement soon based on competitive reasons. But all signs have pointed to Ryan Fitzpatrick continuing on.

According to Ian Rapport. I don’t know if this is just for the Chicago game or for the season. But I’d really like Winston back after the bye at the latest.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby Cheb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Grimes was picked on throughout the game against the run and the pass. The Steelers would run outside to the right, the receiver stalking up to the safety, forcing Grimes to make a tackle, and Grimes consistently fell flat on his face. Crank up the highlights; many of them were against Grimes in both the run and pass game. By my recollection he allowed at least four or five explosive plays and fell down at least a half dozen times.

I get that a player should get back to the field when he's ready. But if Grimes was playing in practice like he was playing in the game against the Steelers, I don't see how the powers that be could say that Grimes should have started over Ryan Smith, a player who was coming off his best game of his career. Even more frustrating is those powers that be saw the exact same game that I did, saw that Grimes was having his struggles, and didn't sub him out to plug a very obvious leak in the defense. Let's look at some Grimes lowlights from last game, shall we?

The 40+ pass play to JJSS - Grimes got his hips flipped in coverage and then fell down.

The quick hitch 27 yard catch-and-run TD to Antonio Brown. Grimes whiffed completely on the tackle, didn't even touch AB.

And just in the last five and a half minutes, Grimes basically gave the game away. Let's look at what he did, in order of big plays allowed:

- Allowed a 30 yard run by James Connor. Grimes (like he always is) was too flat and didn't press his gap, Connor ran right by him.
- Another 10 yard run by Connor for a first down.
- The huge 2nd-and-10 conversion to JJSS, Grimes was late in respecting in route.
- Grimes was the unblocked man in the box during a the last big run by Connor, was again too flat in pursuit, stopped pursuing when Connor was slowed at the line, then Connor ran right by him with Grimes as a casual observer for the first down to end the game.

That's over 150 yards and a score allowed, as well as multiple drive extenders. Particularly in the last five minutes, when he was the weak Susan on defense who gave the game away.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:36 am

The Bucs (like most teams) don't sub their back 7

Its called no confidence. Pitt had eight DB's play 20 or more snaps. Our style is puttem out there and cross your fingers...
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am

Cheb wrote:- Allowed a 30 yard run by James Connor. Grimes (like he always is) was too flat and didn't press his gap, Connor ran right by him.
- Another 10 yard run by Connor for a first down.
- The huge 2nd-and-10 conversion to JJSS, Grimes was late in respecting in route.
- Grimes was the unblocked man in the box during a the last big run by Connor, was again too flat in pursuit, stopped pursuing when Connor was slowed at the line, then Connor ran right by him with Grimes as a casual observer for the first down to end the game.

I don't usually talk about a guy's effort that much, but his effort on one of these plays was pathetic. Looked like he was scared to tackle Conner.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 am

mdb1958 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I'm saying we got 3 safety's and one ran into a wall.
I'm saying Smith got no defensive snaps and still leads the team in pd's.
I'm saying our special team ace played 26 snaps without a tackle.

So you want Smith to start over Davis or Grimes?

Him not playing defense was due to him being behind those guys on the depth chart and not having the versatility to play nickel. Koetter raved about him after the Eagles game so I doubt it's anything more than that. Davis has played well and deserves to play, Grimes was playing his first game back and didn't play well. I expect he'll be better, but if not maybe Ryan Smith takes over with Carlton Davis as the starting CBs at some point.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions