Sounds like Fitz will start next week

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Sounds like Fitz will start next week

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am

Super K wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:

If you like stats, look at Winston and Fitz, their stats while here with the Bucs.

If you're a W/L man, Fitz is 4-2, Winston 17-28 with the Bucs.

Otherwise, no not much of a case to start the guy that wins 2/3rds of the time here in Tampa.

I don't get why folks bring this up and completely neglect Fitz's 12 other seasons/teams...

It's like the most moronic defense ever....

Actually your simpleton response is the most moronic ever. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

The take for Winston is he needs more time to develop.......

If he turns the corner should we hold the early seasons against him?

Or should we evaluate him in season 12 or 13 whenever he "develops"?

I say judge Winston on the QB he can become, not what he's doing the other 250 starts as he learns the offense.

What say you?
Patrick McIrish

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
400yds isn't difficult on 50 attempts when you're in a 20pt hole given the weapons the Bucs have.

Kudos to Fitz for stepping up these 3 games. But miss me with any crowing over his 400yds last night.

Didn't we have all these weapons last year? Or all these receivers new?

No, you may not be impressed with 400 yards last night but what about game 1 and game 2????

Yeah, me too. Might not be so impressed last night but playing almost perfect QB for 2/3rds of the games is going to make you a very very good team.

Happy about that Dread? I know I am. Sitting 2-1 right now, a possession away from 3-0 feels pretty damned good.

Not only a possession, but a holding call away as well.
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:06 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
400yds isn't difficult on 50 attempts when you're in a 20pt hole given the weapons the Bucs have.

Kudos to Fitz for stepping up these 3 games. But miss me with any crowing over his 400yds last night.

No, you may not be impressed with 400 yards last night but what about game 1 and game 2????

Yeah, me too. Might not be so impressed last night but playing almost perfect QB for 2/3rds of the games is going to make you a very very good team.

Happy about that Dread? I know I am. Sitting 2-1 right now, a possession away from 3-0 feels pretty damned good.

Speaking of that last possession, it showed me all I needed to see. People talked so highly about Fitz and how he doesn't throw into coverage and takes what the defense gives. All 3 of those passes in that final possession could've been and probably should've been picked off. Evans was double covered. Hump was covered. And IIRC Brate was double covered too while Evans was on an island. Our QB didn't give us a chance to win in a critical situation.
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am

The hypocrisy is ridiculous is these things.....

Some seem to be a fan more of Winston than they are the Bucs, it's sad and pathetic.

Trust me if Winston (or anyone else on planet earth) played the first 3 games of the season like this I would defend them retaining their starting job.

You'd have to be a fing idiot to bench this guy.

The funny part?

When Winston breaks rookie records, Buc records for yards and so on it's always proof he's the real deal.

But now that Fitz is leading all of the NFL in passing, making history, and thrown for 3 times the number of 400 yard games that Winston has in his entire career, now the yardage doesn't count for anything.

LOL. It would be comical if not so pathetic.

The good thing about this "discussion", none of these ****ing idiots are making the decision to bench the guy leading the best passing offense in football.

We move on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:12 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:

Speaking of that last possession, it showed me all I needed to see. People talked so highly about Fitz and how he doesn't throw into coverage and takes what the defense gives. All 3 of those passes in that final possession could've been and probably should've been picked off. Evans was double covered. Hump was covered. And IIRC Brate was double covered too while Evans was on an island. Our QB didn't give us a chance to win in a critical situation.

I don't think he played well last night.....

But I think he played almost perfect in the first 2 games.

If Winston plays perfect football, beats Saints on the road, then the champions in the next game, I'll accept a game like Fitz had last night.

Not only accept it, I'd be a very happy man.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Best I've felt after a Bucs loss in a while (minus the hangover and sleep deprivation).

The receivers are the same names, but Godwin and Howard in year 2 are way ahead of where either were last season in terms of their play. It seems like Evans and DJax are playing better also.

I was (like everyone) very impressed with Fitz weeks 1 and 2. But last night was who Fitz is as QB. He didn't have a bad game imo, it's just what you always get with Fitz. I'm extremely satisfied with how he's stepped up in these starts and his performance last night was bound to happen. The play in weeks 1-2 were not sustainable imo.

This is a good Bucs football team. One that should get better as they defense gets healthier and young secondary gets more experience. Carlton Davis played a hell of game last night, Justin Evans is a playmaker, Whitehead looks like he belongs. Even MJ Stewart was ok despite the difficult job of chasing AB and JuJu from the slot all night. Our vets in the secondary (Grimes and Conte) are who let us down.

As far as the QB situation I'm still leaning with Fitz for week 4. But Jameis will get his job back soon enough and I feel that is the right move.
DreadNaught

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

Um... Godwin sucked donkey balls last night. And Howard was already a stud.

This thought they automatically get better the next year is silly.

DJax get better this year too because he's a young guy?? Or is someone getting the ball deep to him?

Weapons improve as QB play improves.

I'm not going to say Fitz will do that all year, but to this point he's made all these guys better.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am

Godwin made some uncharacteristic mistakes last night.

That said I'll agree to disagree Howard and Godwin are not better players in year 2 then they were as rookies last season. :drinkingcheers:
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 am

Godwin bailed Fitz out on that TD throw. It was a 4 yard TD and felt like 20. I'd say they were even.
Bootz2004

Postby BacksidePursuit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
BacksidePursuit wrote:I feel good about our chances last night if Winston was playing.

I felt good about our chances with Fitz playing too. Defense couldn't get off the damn field at the end.

What game were you watching? This goes beyond selective memory, how much attention were you actually giving the game?
BacksidePursuit

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

BacksidePursuit wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
I felt good about our chances with Fitz playing too. Defense couldn't get off the damn field at the end.

What game were you watching? This goes beyond selective memory, how much attention were you actually giving the game?

All the defense did was get off the field. 3-11 on 3rd downs allowed.
Bootz2004

Postby BacksidePursuit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
BacksidePursuit wrote:What game were you watching? This goes beyond selective memory, how much attention were you actually giving the game?

3 time-outs, 3:30 left. 70 yards to go, down by three, ‘perfect’ situation. Huge wet fart by the offense.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 am

BacksidePursuit wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

3 time-outs, 3:30 left. 70 yards to go, down by three, ‘perfect’ situation. Huge wet fart by the offense.

Yep although think we only had 1 time-out at that moment. 3 passes that should've been picked off. Didn't give us a chance at all.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:09 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
BacksidePursuit wrote:What game were you watching? This goes beyond selective memory, how much attention were you actually giving the game?

One of those 3 was the 75yd play here Conte got meme'd.

Defense wasn't the problem last night.

4 turnovers and 2/5 in the redzone is ALL on the offense and the reason we lost.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

One of those 3 was the 75yd play here Conte got meme'd.

Defense wasn't the problem last night.

4 turnovers and 2/5 in the redzone is ALL on the offense and the reason we lost.

Yep. In a 3 point game, pick 6 matters.
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:19 am

I so badly want to be nice, feels good to be 2-1. And trust me when Winston comes back no one will be cheering harder for the kid......

But for anyone, a Buc fan especially to want to bench Fitz right now?

Fitz is #1 in passing yards, 1230 yards. At 410 yards per game, more than 50 yards per game better than anyone else. Winston? 258 yards a game.
Fitz is 2nd in QBR, 124.8 - Ahead of Rogers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Goff, Ryan etc...... you get the idea, everyone but Mahomes. Winston? 87.2 QBR.
Fitz is #1 in YPA, 11.08 - Absolutely destroying everyone else. Next best is Mahomes at 9.38 or so. Winston? 7.5 yards per attempt
Fitz is T#1 for longest TD, 75 yards. Winston? In 45 starts he's never thrown one that long.
Fitz beat NO on the road as a 10 point underdog, then beat the current world champs. All in his first 3 games. Overall 4-2 with the Bucs. Winston? 18-27 W/L.
Despite throwing for 1230 yards, Fitz still completes over 70% of his passes. Winston? 60% of his passes.

The Gooberville conclusion? Absolutely you bench the history making QB for a guy that might "develop" one day down the road.

Wow, this would be comical if not so pathetic.

Moving on here, nothing left to be said. Congrats to all the "Buc fans" praying for a bad game from Fitz, unfortunately you were drawing dead.

Unless he got injured he was starting week #4, period. Rooted against us for no fing reason, morons.
Patrick McIrish

Postby BacksidePursuit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:43 am

Knowing exactly how Patty would respond to Winston playing the exact same game that Fitz played last night gives me life.

When jokes don’t know that they’re a joke.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:
When jokes don’t know that they’re a joke.

Perfect for your tombstone.

No, the #1 ranked offense in the NFL at 34 PPG hasn't been the problem, it's the 31st ranked defense.

Nice additions for the defense, same old offense but a 2nd string QB running it and we're still a 1 dimensional football team.

If your hero was the leading passer in the NFL you wouldn't shut up about how great the offense was.....

Since he's on the bench you are trying to blame Fitz and the offense for everything.

You work on your self-awareness, I'll teach you and your husband about football.

We move on.......
Patrick McIrish

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:54 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I thought that last possession was horrible because of the play calling. Those guys could not hold the receivers deep, but we decided to stay under. Just my observation
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

BucaRican wrote:
BacksidePursuit wrote:3 time-outs, 3:30 left. 70 yards to go, down by three, ‘perfect’ situation. Huge wet fart by the offense.

I thought that last possession was horrible because of the play calling. Those guys could not hold the receivers deep, but we decided to stay under. Just my observation

What are you talking about? The 1st down throw was literally a deep shot to Evans up the sideline. Evans was double covered though
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

What are you talking about? The 1st down throw was literally a deep shot to Evans up the sideline. Evans was double covered though

That last offensive series was AT BEST the equivalent to how our game against Dallas ended in 2016...

In fact, the whole damn eb and flow of both of those games feels eerily similar.... including the "bomb" attempt to Evans....

We play tough early, mistakes dig a big hole, we crawl out thanks to our QB playing lights out, chance to win/tie at the end and we look like middle schoolers...
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:42 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

That last offensive series was AT BEST the equivalent to how our game against Dallas ended in 2016...

In fact, the whole damn eb and flow of both of those games feels eerily similar.... including the "bomb" attempt to Evans....

We play tough early, mistakes dig a big hole, we crawl out thanks to our QB playing lights out, chance to win/tie at the end and we look like middle schoolers...

If we could run the ball, it would change everything. Imagine running it and getting 4 yards on first down in that final series. Changes everything.
real bucs fan

Postby Onthebrink » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

I want Fitz to start against Chicago for a different reason than most. The Bears will get to the QB. Fitz has been sacked 5 times and has run the ball quite a lot. He hasn't fumbled the ball. Jamies seems to fumble the ball a lot when he is sacked. I think Jamies will turn the ball over more than Fitz against the Bears.
Onthebrink

Postby PetePierson » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

PetePierson

Postby Super K » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

PetePierson wrote:For what it's worth:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... two-years/

Yeah, that's not cherry picking...
Super K

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Doctor wrote:Anyone else listening to this presser? Totally sounds like Fitz is the starter vs the Bears.

As it should be.
DanTurksGhost

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

No player is bigger than the team, and we don't need to trash one guy to prop up another.

Listening to Koetter, he's going with the guy who he thinks gives them the best chance and has given out absolutely nothing in regards to who that will be.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Through the first three weeks, Fitzpatrick has 1,230 passing yards (first in NFL), 11 passing TDs (second), a 124.8 passer rating (second) and a 70.3 completion percentage (sixth).

Yeah, I totally see where you get "that offense needs to make a change" from looking at that...
Doctor

Postby MJW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm

It's funny how passing yards were a sign a quarterback was a stud when it was Winston putting them up, right? Now those same folks want them ignored as an indicator of success.

Also worth noting...the #2 and #3 QBs on the list above both got to play us already. Must be a coincidence.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm

That has to be maddening for Steelers fans to have the #2 offense and their only win be against the #31 defense.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions