Sounds like Fitz will start next week

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Sounds like Fitz will start next week

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am

DreadNaught wrote:It's a short week with Jameis coming off a month long isolation from the team. We also have a bye after Chicago.

Fitz is who he is. He wasn't bad last night, he was who he's always been.

Let Fitz start this Sunday b/c he gives the team the best chance to win the game. Plug Jameis back in over the bye week and roll with him the final 12 games.

The Bucs have a real opportunity to close the 1st quarter of the season 3-1 with a back-up QB. I'm optimistic.

I'm gonna have to...side with Bootz here. Fitz was fine last night, definitely glad we have him as a backup. But he absolutely should not start again. On the last drive, he threw two dropped INTs. The TDs to Godwin and Evans were absolute toss-ups. I guess the tipped pass wasn't really his fault but the other two picks were incredibly bad.
Deuce

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 am

You have to ask yourself...

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick closer to the guy we saw last night or the guy we saw the first 2 weeks? His career tells you he is much closer to the guy from last night.

Then you ask yourself...

Is Jameis Winston as good as the guy we saw last night? The answer is that he has been a little worse than that at his worst, but much better than that most of the time.

Do that and it’s an easy answer. You thank Fitz for yeoman’s work to start the year, and hand him a clipboard.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:It's a short week with Jameis coming off a month long isolation from the team. We also have a bye after Chicago.

Fitz is who he is. He wasn't bad last night, he was who he's always been.

Let Fitz start this Sunday b/c he gives the team the best chance to win the game. Plug Jameis back in over the bye week and roll with him the final 12 games.

The Bucs have a real opportunity to close the 1st quarter of the season 3-1 with a back-up QB. I'm optimistic.

No he doesn't. Fitz does not give us the best chance to win at all. And that's why I fully expect Koetter will start him in Chicago.

I've said it time and time again, if we win it'll be inspite of Dirk Koetter. He continues to show that he will not put this team in the best position to win. He'll stick with what's comfortable over anything.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am

Ken Carson wrote:You have to ask yourself...

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick closer to the guy we saw last night or the guy we saw the first 2 weeks? His career tells you he is much closer to the guy from last night.

Then you ask yourself...

Is Jameis Winston as good as the guy we saw last night? The answer is that he has been a little worse than that at his worst, but much better than that most of the time.

Do that and it’s an easy answer. You thank Fitz for yeoman’s work to start the year, and hand him a clipboard.

Thats what logic tells you. But this is Dirk Koetter and the Bucs. Only team I know that has turned 2 3 game suspensions into 4 game suspensions.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 am

I'm fine putting Jameis back in there. I've been saying since the beginning he should start week 6 at the latest. The real Fitzpatrick was revealed last night, which isn't a bad thing. We could win alot of games with Fitzpatrick. But he's that QB we all saw last night. That wasn't a 'bad' game from Fitz. The scenario I had as a "no-brainer" for Fitz starting week 4 no longer applies, so it's really a toss-up for me now as to who I'd start week 4.

I just don't know that putting Winston on a short week like this sets him up for success like transitioning to him over the bye would is all. I'm sure he would perform fine if pressed into duty. But why not set him up for success when I don't think there is much of difference between Fitz and Winston playing on short week and just returning from a suspension.

I feel the schedule plays a part in this and is set up to roll with Fitz 1 more game. But I'm on the fence now. :P
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 am

Bootz is like one of 5 people who genuinely believe starting Fitz is clearly the wrong move. Literally everyone else on TV is saying stick with Fitz fight now.
Doctor

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:There’s no case to be made for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

If you like stats, look at Winston and Fitz, their stats while here with the Bucs.

If you're a W/L man, Fitz is 4-2, Winston 17-28 with the Bucs.

Otherwise, no not much of a case to start the guy that wins 2/3rds of the time here in Tampa.

Shhhhhhh don't tell them the facts.......
BucaRican

Postby sanka » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

BucaRican wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:

If you like stats, look at Winston and Fitz, their stats while here with the Bucs.

If you're a W/L man, Fitz is 4-2, Winston 17-28 with the Bucs.

Otherwise, no not much of a case to start the guy that wins 2/3rds of the time here in Tampa.

Rican be honest, what would have said if Winston had that kind of game yesterday?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Then you ask yourself...

Thats what logic tells you. But this is Dirk Koetter and the Bucs. Only team I know that has turned 2 3 game suspensions into 4 game suspensions.

Man your logic, let's throw a guy out there who doesn't have a winning record as a starter for the Bucs, who hasn't practiced with the first-team offense in 3-4 weeks, who by his actions hurt the team and who doesn't have any of the receiver clamoring for him to start. Ohhhh not to mention let's replace the guy who has played his heart out and has the backing of the locker room. I tell you, only in Tampa.
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

sanka wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

Rican be honest, what would have said if Winston had that kind of game yesterday?

It wasn't Winston playing, and Winston didn't start the first 2 games. Winston didn't get us to a 2-1 record. I saw a guy that has played really good the first two weeks of the season, who made mistakes last night but put us in a position to win and still threw for 400+. I can't comment on "ifs," but I can comment on how the team rallied around him and has his back. They love his fire and his determination.
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 am

BucaRican wrote:
sanka wrote:Rican be honest, what would have said if Winston had that kind of game yesterday?

It wasn't Winston playing, and Winston didn't start the first 2 games. Winston didn't get us to a 2-1 record. I saw a guy that has played really good the first two weeks of the season, who made mistakes last night but put us in a position to win and still threw for 400+. I can't comment on "ifs," but I can comment on how the team rallied around him and has his back. They love his fire and his determination.

I like all that too. But I don't like all the inaccurate passes.

400yds isn't difficult on 50 attempts when you're in a 20pt hole given the weapons the Bucs have.

Kudos to Fitz for stepping up these 3 games. But miss me with any crowing over his 400yds last night.
DreadNaught

Postby Pirate Life » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:44 am

sanka wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

Same can be said of you. Winston has a game like last night and we're hearing excuses for why he didn't get the win. No run game. Poor pass protection. Defense didn't stop them when we had momentum after the last touchdown. Bad play calling/design on the final drive, etc. Hell, same excuses Fitzpatrick's getting on his interceptions would be getting said about Winston by some of his supporters.

Everyone makes excuses for 'their' guy when the team loses.

I'm ok with whomever starts next week. Never, ever expected to be 2-1 at this point. Fitz deserves some of the credit for that, but so does the rest of the team.

It sucked to lose last night, but damn it was good to see the team fight back and have a chance to win it.
Pirate Life

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 am

Pirate Life wrote:
sanka wrote:Rican be honest, what would have said if Winston had that kind of game yesterday?

Same can be said of you. Winston has a game like last night and we're hearing excuses for why he didn't get the win. No run game. Poor pass protection. Defense didn't stop them when we had momentum after the last touchdown. Bad play calling/design on the final drive, etc. Hell, same excuses Fitzpatrick's getting on his interceptions would be getting said about Winston by some of his supporters.

Everyone makes excuses for 'their' guy when the team loses.

I'm ok with whomever starts next week. Never, ever expected to be 2-1 at this point. Fitz deserves some of the credit for that, but so does the rest of the team.

It sucked to lose last night, but damn it was good to see the team fight back and have a chance to win it.

You're exactly right. Part of the game that concerned me last night is that we're still expecting the QB to do a lot. No running game and the defense wasn't good.

I've seen a number of people say things like "Bucs teams have given up in the past", "good to see the team fight back", etc. Last year, we lost 7 games by 7 points or less. We have some big almost-comeback every year, last year was Arizona, and we claim that this team is different because they didn't give up. Let's put that to bed. The almost-comeback is basically our signature move at this point.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

I like all that too. But I don't like all the inaccurate passes.

400yds isn't difficult on 50 attempts when you're in a 20pt hole given the weapons the Bucs have.

Kudos to Fitz for stepping up these 3 games. But miss me with any crowing over his 400yds last night.

Well that's exactly what everyone is doing. Crowing over his 400 yard performance. A 400 yard performance that I guarantee you had at minimum 100 yards of YAC by his receivers and not because he threw them open or hit them in stride.
Bootz2004

Postby Buccs99 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 am

I want the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

Fitz is 2-1 and despite a couple mistakes, still led this team back to the game last night after being down 30-10 at half. and i dont care about the yardage. I care about the grit and those passes he hit evans on, on two separate drives down the field. Those tight window throws that shouldve been td's from godwin. Fitz whole body of work the past 3 games is better than damn near everyone in the league.

Winston is 0-0 and hasnt been with this team since week 4 of preseason.

Right now, Fitz is the best chance to win. So as far as NEXT WEEK. You stick with Fitz and then after that, then you have 2 weeks to figure out what you want to do as an organization moving forward the next three quarters of the season. I dont see how this is so hard for people to grasp.
Buccs99

Postby acmillis » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 am

Somebody should make this a poll just so we can gauge everything.

Something like "Who do you want to start agains CHI?"
acmillis

Postby BacksidePursuit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

I feel good about our chances last night if Winston was playing.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 am

BacksidePursuit wrote:I feel good about our chances last night if Winston was playing.

Likewise.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am

BacksidePursuit wrote:I feel good about our chances last night if Winston was playing.

I felt good about our chances with Fitz playing too. Defense couldn't get off the damn field at the end.
beardmcdoug

Postby BucaRican » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am

Because Winston handles defensive pressure better than Fitz? Get real, Winston folds when the pocket collapses. Always has, since collage. Those happy feet and erratic throws.
BucaRican

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am

Doctor wrote:Bootz is like one of 5 people who genuinely believe starting Fitz is clearly the wrong move. Literally everyone else on TV is saying stick with Fitz fight now.

Count me in that number. The people on TV are saying the easy thing to say. “Keep the hot hand in” is popular, safe and risks NOTHING if it blows up in your face. Real leadership risks unpopularity.

If Koetter starts Jameis, he will be doing something that isn’t easy, and will earn my respect. If he doesn’t, it’s hard to make any kind of judgment because there are valid reasons to go with Fitzpatrick, but I would hope that it being the “safe” coaching decision wouldn’t number among them.
Ken Carson

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 am

Doctor wrote:Bootz is like one of 5 people who genuinely believe starting Fitz is clearly the wrong move. Literally everyone else on TV is saying stick with Fitz fight now.

Everyone one TV is wrong. Most don’t know fuck-all about the Bucs anyway. You can tell by listening to their “analysis” for 5 minutes. Those same TV analysts believe Jameis regressed last year and are unaware of the shoulder injury he played with nearly all season.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am

Ken Carson wrote:

Count me in that number. The people on TV are saying the easy thing to say. “Keep the hot hand in” is popular, safe and risks NOTHING if it blows up in your face. Real leadership risks unpopularity.

If Koetter starts Jameis, he will be doing something that isn’t easy, and will earn my respect. If he doesn’t, it’s hard to make any kind of judgment because there are valid reasons to go with Fitzpatrick, but I would hope that it being the “safe” coaching decision wouldn’t number among them.

I don't buy the so called valid reasons for going with Fitz. Jameis could've played the same way Fitz did last night. Fitz looked "rusty", short armed throws, inaccurate passes, prayers in the air. We could've gotten that from Winston. The only difference would be all those people making excuses for Fitz & throwing the rest of the team under the bus would focus all their blame on Winston.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Everyone one TV is wrong. Most don’t know fuck-all about the Bucs anyway. You can tell by listening to their “analysis” for 5 minutes. Those same TV analysts believe Jameis regressed last year and are unaware of the shoulder injury he played with nearly all season.

They also don't know that Fitz played like **** last year when he was starting. Even in our wins.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Sammich wrote:I was in a different message board earlier today and a Panthers fan and a Falcons fan agreed that we should get Jameis back in there immediately....

There's no way we can go to Chicago with Ryan Fitzpatrick as our starting QB and say we're giving ourselves the best chance to win.

Yes we can, yes we are, and yes we will
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

They also don't know that Fitz played like **** last year when he was starting. Even in our wins.

Even in our wins ? Lol that is even below casual level , like maybe beginner level
Jason Bourne

Postby viva la Reagan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I don't buy the so called valid reasons for going with Fitz. Jameis could've played the same way Fitz did last night. Fitz looked "rusty", short armed throws, inaccurate passes, prayers in the air. We could've gotten that from Winston. The only difference would be all those people making excuses for Fitz & throwing the rest of the team under the bus would focus all their blame on Winston.

you mean like this?

Bootz2004 wrote:It's as if you didn't watch last season. We won some games where the defense didn't hold up well, we lost some games they didn't. Lost more than we had won. If you're implying it didn't play a factor in our season then you're proving your agenda against Winston.
viva la Reagan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

viva la Reagan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I don't buy the so called valid reasons for going with Fitz. Jameis could've played the same way Fitz did last night. Fitz looked "rusty", short armed throws, inaccurate passes, prayers in the air. We could've gotten that from Winston. The only difference would be all those people making excuses for Fitz & throwing the rest of the team under the bus would focus all their blame on Winston.

you mean like this?

Bootz2004 wrote:It's as if you didn't watch last season. We won some games where the defense didn't hold up well, we lost some games they didn't. Lost more than we had won. If you're implying it didn't play a factor in our season then you're proving your agenda against Winston.

Oh so we didn't lose games where the defense didn't hold up?
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Didn't we have all these weapons last year? Or all these receivers new?

No, you may not be impressed with 400 yards last night but what about game 1 and game 2????

Yeah, me too. Might not be so impressed last night but playing almost perfect QB for 2/3rds of the games is going to make you a very very good team.

Happy about that Dread? I know I am. Sitting 2-1 right now, a possession away from 3-0 feels pretty damned good.
Patrick McIrish

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:00 am

Then you ask yourself...

Well said
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions