Rapid Reactions Week 3: 30-27 Loss vs Pittsburgh

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Rapid Reactions Week 3: 30-27 Loss vs Pittsburgh

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:08 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:How long do we continue with Mike Smith? Imagine if we had even an average defense.. I players fucked up too but mikes play callin is questionable at best

He's not getting fired mid-season imo.

13 games left, let's see how it plays out.

We've let it play out for 2+ years. He hasn't improved at all.. Always around the last ranked defense.
Heisenberg

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Buc2 wrote:You know you'll get no argument from me on this count. Sadly, I don't think it would matter where Smith sits to eat his hot wings. Smith's schemes don't work in today's NFL. The game has passed him by. Kinda like ol' Gruden out in Oakland. At least Gruden can legitimately blame rust (LOL) on his suckage. Smith has no such luxury.

Maybe it wouldn't matter but if it's broke, TRY AND FIX IT!!

His first year was fine, common for new coaches, once his way has been absorbed he's 32nd last year, 31st this year.

From the sidelines you can pretend to care. Work the refs. Look for some indicators you've picked up through the years.

Work your assistant coaches on defenses. Pick up tendencies. Grab a few guys by the grill, TEACH!! Show some GD emotion!!!!

Here's the thing why even the Pursuit idiot should know we are in trouble..... no need to know football, just common sense.

Smith is not only an older guy, HE WAS THE HEAD COACH FOR THE FALCONS FROM 2008-2014!!!!!

What does that mean, I don't get it Coach McIrish!???

As a HC you are not daily involved with the nuts and bolts of defense.

So what the geniuses here in Tampa have decided that we can hire an older guy with half the energy of younger DC's around the league.....

Let him miss 7 years away from running a defense when he was a HC, then step right in where the changes in those 7 years have been EXTREME!!!

I suppose we expect the energetic old guy to make up 7 years on young and hungry DC's to teach his new coaches and players all of this from the press box.

Boys, if you never listen to a thing I say, listen to this:

The others around the league are playing chess, Smith is looking for the checker board.

QB play is so difficult because the defensive side of the ball has gotten so intricate in what they do and how they do it.

Smith is just picking up a check.

The reason we don't ever shut a guy down, we don't know how. We can't take something away like the good DC's/teams do because we don't know to execute that sort of thing....

**** we can't even stop 2nd and 3rd string QB's. Why? Because even with limited experience they can see what we are trying to do. It's basic football that any college level QB can beat.

It's like a pre-season defense but we run it all year long.

Smith hired DK once and now has lifetime of loyalty to this fat **** so he's going to take the whole ship down before he fires him.

Only hope is my texts, emails and tweets to Licht spurs him to make a move. Otherwise we are FUCKED!!

Fitz, Winston, Mahomes or Jesus at QB, we are not going to average 34 points a game all year.....

At some point we need to stop the other side when the game is still within reach.

We can't count on out-talenting the other team every game, that's what we have to do to win on defense.

It's ridiculous, it needs to stop before we throw this season away.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Looks like Mike Evans agrees with me , you wrong again

“"One was my fault,'' Evans said. "I deviated on my route and tricked Fitz and he threw it across the middle. That was my fault. And a couple tips.''”

His deviation of the route is irrelevant. The throw wasn't a good one. He threw it right to Hilton.

NOPE , you wrong kid . Mike Fricken Evans just told you it was his fault ... you are a dumbass
Jason Bourne

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Veterans might remember this....

Monte's defense, Sapp and the boys had a saying for the offense - give us 17 and we will give you a win.

Smith is getting double that, 34 from the offense, and struggling to make that work.

We need to make a move, we need to make it yesterday.

Moving on before I get too aggravated to **** my GF later.

:fire: :cussingblack: :cussing:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Yep.. And it's a weekly occurrence with this team.. Every qb pads their stats against us.. And nothing is changed. Qbs are averaging 77% against us.. We're not winning any important games like that
Heisenberg

Postby Seamen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Buc2 wrote:You know you'll get no argument from me on this count. Sadly, I don't think it would matter where Smith sits to eat his hot wings. Smith's schemes don't work in today's NFL. The game has passed him by. Kinda like ol' Gruden out in Oakland. At least Gruden can legitimately blame rust (LOL) on his suckage. Smith has no such luxury.

His first year was fine, common for new coaches, once his way has been absorbed he's 32nd last year, 31st this year.

From the sidelines you can pretend to care. Work the refs. Look for some indicators you've picked up through the years.

Work your assistant coaches on defenses. Pick up tendencies. Grab a few guys by the grill, TEACH!! Show some GD emotion!!!!

Here's the thing why even the Pursuit idiot should know we are in trouble..... no need to know football, just common sense.

Smith is not only an older guy, HE WAS THE HEAD COACH FOR THE FALCONS FROM 2008-2014!!!!!

So what the geniuses here in Tampa have decided that we can hire an older guy with half the energy of younger DC's around the league.....

Let him miss 7 years away from running a defense when he was a HC, then step right in where the changes in those 7 years have been EXTREME!!!

I suppose we expect the energetic old guy to make up 7 years on young and hungry DC's to teach his new coaches and players all of this from the press box.

The others around the league are playing chess, Smith is looking for the checker board.

QB play is so difficult because the defensive side of the ball has gotten so intricate in what they do and how they do it.

The reason we don't ever shut a guy down, we don't know how. We can't take something away like the good DC's/teams do because we don't know to execute that sort of thing....

**** we can't even stop 2nd and 3rd string QB's. Why? Because even with limited experience they can see what we are trying to do. It's basic football that any college level QB can beat.

Smith hired DK once and now has lifetime of loyalty to this fat **** so he's going to take the whole ship down before he fires him.

Only hope is my texts, emails and tweets to Licht spurs him to make a move. Otherwise we are FUCKED!!

Fitz, Winston, Mahomes or Jesus at QB, we are not going to average 34 points a game all year.....

At some point we need to stop the other side when the game is still within reach.

We can't count on out-talenting the other team every game, that's what we have to do to win on defense.

I have never agreed with you more than this post right here. Sums up my feelings about Mike Smith 100%
Seamen

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 pm

The game is just too complex to bring in a 65 year old man that hasn't been a DC in 7 years.....

Fired from the Falcons, we brought him in the NEXT SEASON to run this defense?

Where, who and when did he relearn what he missed in the past 7 years?

And to top it off he sat in the press box from game one.

A DC with same team 7 or 8 years, has taught his assistant coaches what he wants on game day, the players and so on I still wouldn't want it but makes more sense.

But to come in and not know anyone, not been a DC since 2007 and here in Gooberville we expected a fired Falcons HC could come in here and solve the problems on defense.

What's sad is the game is full of young and hungry guys that would cut an arm off to be a DC. Work long hours, be full of emotion and down on the field on game day.

Busting ass to prove themselves and one day become a HC.

We got a guy that has seen it all and done it all already. A man that is waiting for a HC offer again.......

A man that feels entitled, an unmotivated MF'er that is keeping us from going to the next level.

Hilarious how many casuals here told me Smith would be swamped with HC offers after his first year here, LOL.

Smith is out of the league when/if we ever fire him.....

You heard it here first.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 pm

And yes, Trubisky will have his best game of the year this week......

Just hope we can get 450 yards thru the air and 35 points or so.
Patrick McIrish

Postby viva la Reagan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:Only hope is my texts, emails and tweets to Licht spurs him to make a move.

i genuinely lol’d.
viva la Reagan

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:The game is just too complex to bring in a 65 year old man that hasn't been a DC in 7 years.....

Fired from the Falcons, we brought him in the NEXT SEASON to run this defense?

Where, who and when did he relearn what he missed in the past 7 years?

And to top it off he sat in the press box from game one.

A DC with same team 7 or 8 years, has taught his assistant coaches what he wants on game day, the players and so on I still wouldn't want it but makes more sense.

But to come in and not know anyone, not been a DC since 2007 and here in Gooberville we expected a fired Falcons HC could come in here and solve the problems on defense.

What's sad is the game is full of young and hungry guys that would cut an arm off to be a DC. Work long hours, be full of emotion and down on the field on game day.

Busting ass to prove themselves and one day become a HC.

We got a guy that has seen it all and done it all already. A man that is waiting for a HC offer again.......

A man that feels entitled, an unmotivated MF'er that is keeping us from going to the next level.

Hilarious how many casuals here told me Smith would be swamped with HC offers after his first year here, LOL.

Smith is out of the league when/if we ever fire him.....

You heard it here first.

Eh, he's likely to stick around unless he retires. Mike McCoy is the OC in Arizona, Brian Schottenheimer in Seattle, Greg Olsen in Oakland. How many times have these guys failed? For whatever reason, guys who have been around stick around. It's probably one of the more obvious inefficiencies in the NFL but we're not the only team who does it.
Deuce

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:08 pm

I can sum up the game this way: self-inflicted wounds lead to the deficit, grit and determination got us back into the game with a chance to win at the end, but we came up short and the defense couldn't get the critical stop necessary to give the offense the chance. It wasn't one player on either side of the ball, it was a lot of guys not playing up to snuff.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:11 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:I can sum up the game this way: self-inflicted wounds lead to the deficit, grit and determination got us back into the game with a chance to win at the end, but we came up short and the defense couldn't get the critical stop necessary to give the offense the chance. It wasn't one player on either side of the ball, it was a lot of guys not playing up to snuff.

You mean a 2nd chance?

The Bucs had the ball with a chance to win/tie and went 3 and out.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:14 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:I can sum up the game this way: self-inflicted wounds lead to the deficit, grit and determination got us back into the game with a chance to win at the end, but we came up short and the defense couldn't get the critical stop necessary to give the offense the chance. It wasn't one player on either side of the ball, it was a lot of guys not playing up to snuff.

You mean a 2nd chance?

I suppose those 3 shitty passes happened so quickly people chose to forget about them.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
You mean a 2nd chance?

I suppose those 3 shitty passes happened so quickly people chose to forget about them.

Ha!
Super K

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

You mean a 2nd chance?

Yes. Second chance most certainly. If we only had a running game, things might have played out a bit differently.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 pm

BTW, being a retired DL I tend to put more onus on the defense in late game situations like that, so I most certainly should have said "second chance".
DanTurksGhost

Postby BUCCABEER » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:

I see Buckner as Smith's replacement next year, and I think that whether Koetter gets fired or not. He's got the passion and the players like his style.
BUCCABEER

Postby Doctor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Holy hell people can we chill out for a bit? It's week ****ing three of the season. It takes time to turn around a defense, especially when you have to have such a turnover in personnel. We completely re-did the DL. We're missing our second best LB (yeah, I said it). Three rookies are starting in our secondary. We lost our nickle which is really under stated. Our first rounder still hasn't gotten on the field.

Let's chill out for a bit and see what this defense does the rest of the year before we start sharpening axes.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 am

Random Thoughts:

One, I saw someone mention this on twitter, but it's complete nonsense there's ZERO pressure on Mike Smith's job right now, simply because he's Dirk's guy. He got his pass rush this season. The defense is still awful. Four Pro Bowlers in the front seven, plus Vinny Curry. The defense is still awful. Carlton Davis having an All-Rookie type season? Ryan Smith coming together? Justin Evans looking like a young stud? The defense is still awful. The #2 and #3 quarterbacks in the NFL right now (behind our own Fitz) both played us already. If the defense is even MEDIOCRE, we're not only 3-0, we're 3-0 and getting Super Bowl buzz. But no. We gotta hope Fitz can keep up because our defense can't stop anyone.

Two, I'd still love to know why Benenoch and Smith are rotating at guard (Credit: MDB)

Three, I take back all my questions about Kwon's future here. He's been overrated since he got here, but he's not overrated anymore. He's that good. He needs to get locked up.

Four, I stand by everything I said about Dotson slipping.

Five, I'm really worried about MJ Stewart's lack of speed. It stood out last week when he couldn't run down the quick (but hardly electric) Nelson Agholor on the crosser, and it showed up again at points Monday. I worry about the Alan Zemaitis factor here.

Six, Jensen was obviously not 100% and it was as big a factor in the loss as anything else.

Seven, Peyton Barber needs more carries or this is what we're going to get. He's a closer. He's not going to provide a spark getting one carry a drive.

Eight, I loved Jason Witten pointing out that GMC is the first pass rusher he's ever seen apologize to the QB during the play. It's like he's bizarro Warren Sapp. I know some folks don't like that about him, but I'm proud to cheer for him.

Nine, Chandler Catanzaro quietly did his job. Kudos.

Ten, I love my boy Shaun Wilson, but he was brutal returning kicks. Our blocking didn't do him any favors but he showed no vision or decisiveness.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:47 am

MJW wrote:Random Thoughts:

One, I saw someone mention this on twitter, but it's complete nonsense there's ZERO pressure on Mike Smith's job right now, simply because he's Dirk's guy. He got his pass rush this season. The defense is still awful. Four Pro Bowlers in the front seven, plus Vinny Curry. The defense is still awful. Carlton Davis having an All-Rookie type season? Ryan Smith coming together? Justin Evans looking like a young stud? The defense is still awful. The #2 and #3 quarterbacks in the NFL right now (behind our own Fitz) both played us already. If the defense is even MEDIOCRE, we're not only 3-0, we're 3-0 and getting Super Bowl buzz. But no. We gotta hope Fitz can keep up because our defense can't stop anyone.

Two, I'd still love to know why Benenoch and Smith are rotating at guard (Credit: MDB)

Three, I take back all my questions about Kwon's future here. He's been overrated since he got here, but he's not overrated anymore. He's that good. He needs to get locked up.

Four, I stand by everything I said about Dotson slipping.

Five, I'm really worried about MJ Stewart's lack of speed. It stood out last week when he couldn't run down the quick (but hardly electric) Nelson Agholor on the crosser, and it showed up again at points Monday. I worry about the Alan Zemaitis factor here.

Six, Jensen was obviously not 100% and it was as big a factor in the loss as anything else.

Seven, Peyton Barber needs more carries or this is what we're going to get. He's a closer. He's not going to provide a spark getting one carry a drive.

Eight, I loved Jason Witten pointing out that GMC is the first pass rusher he's ever seen apologize to the QB during the play. It's like he's bizarro Warren Sapp. I know some folks don't like that about him, but I'm proud to cheer for him.

Nine, Chandler Catanzaro quietly did his job. Kudos.

Ten, I love my boy Shaun Wilson, but he was brutal returning kicks. Our blocking didn't do him any favors but he showed no vision or decisiveness.

I already said it was because we have not drafted our Quenton Nelson yet. Truth is Benenoch isnt there and he may not find it.

Steelers last two drives involved 5 runs by James Connor.

17 ---------------------- 49 yards right after the called back punt return, we still get the TD but burn up a lot of clock. Easy to find blame but its weird that you change the defensive players and still have one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Things look different but when the horn sounds and the league stats are crunched you have what you have.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 am

They said the Steeler right side o-line was back ups --------------------- I couldnt tell.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:56 am

I have heard Vea being touted as McCoy's eventual replacement? I dont think he's on the team yet (the replacement).
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am

Hang on, want to throw one more out there:

Quizz Rodgers is horrible. He's a totally ineffective runner. If there's a way for him to get tackled, he'll find it. He's not dangerous in space. At 5'6 he's not exactly an attractive target in the passing game. And his much touted pass pro was a major problem on Monday night. The only reason he's on this team is because he's a Koetter guy. The fact he's getting as many touches as he is (5 a game right now) and RoJo is in street clothes is astounding. Give those touches to Barber, or Rojo, or Shaun Wilson. Heck, run a few more tunnel screens to Hump. Draw up some heavy set play-action targets for Auclair. Anything.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 am

I thought MJ Stewart played ok. I get the knock on his speed, but playing m2m as a nickelback in the NFL is a thankless task when you have to chase guys like Agholor, AB, and JuJu on these shallow crossing and option routes. I thought Stewart stuck close and was able to make the tackles Monday night. I'd like to see more plays on the ball from him, but imo he looks like he belongs out there. Again we're talking about a rookie CB in the 3rd game of the season.

Dotson's error Monday were more mental than physical where he didn't pick up the right guy on some the blitz's the Steelers brought, most notably the one where Bostic tipped it and it got picked in the RZ when Hump was WIDE OPEN in the flat and Fitz was trying to get it to him. That went from a TD to a RZ turnover. Maybe I don't have the same high expectations of Dotson, but I do think he's a solid RT that is normally good in passpro. He'll get his biggest test of the season this Sunday vs Khalil Mack. If I'm the Bucs I'm chipping with a TE or RB every passing play that isn't a 3 step drop.

After rewatching the game I'm both encouraged b/c the Bucs were the better football team out there, and disappointed that we left SO MUCH out there. Bad red zone offense, Bad 2-min defense at the end of the first half, Bad turnovers. Luckily these are things that didn't occur weeks 1-2 and should be easily correctable.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 am

MJW wrote:Hang on, want to throw one more out there:

Quizz Rodgers is horrible. He's a totally ineffective runner. If there's a way for him to get tackled, he'll find it. He's not dangerous in space. At 5'6 he's not exactly an attractive target in the passing game. And his much touted pass pro was a major problem on Monday night. The only reason he's on this team is because he's a Koetter guy. The fact he's getting as many touches as he is (5 a game right now) and RoJo is in street clothes is astounding. Give those touches to Barber, or Rojo, or Shaun Wilson. Heck, run a few more tunnel screens to Hump. Draw up some heavy set play-action targets for Auclair. Anything.

Agreed. I get Rodgers is Koetter guy but he provides zero spark. Which would be ok if the Bucs had a dynamic RB, but Peyton Barber (for all his qualities) isn't explosive either. Thus the running game is very bland.

This team is having the same problem as last year in that we can't get explosive runs (OOCA?)

That said, I do think Barber has been better than his stats indicate. We shouldn't be running him wide though, not his game.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 am

Doctor wrote:Holy hell people can we chill out for a bit? It's week ****ing three of the season. It takes time to turn around a defense, especially when you have to have such a turnover in personnel. We completely re-did the DL. We're missing our second best LB (yeah, I said it). Three rookies are starting in our secondary. We lost our nickle which is really under stated. Our first rounder still hasn't gotten on the field.

Let's chill out for a bit and see what this defense does the rest of the year before we start sharpening axes.

Smith's been here, what? 3 years and 3 games now? How much more time do we need to wait to see his defenses suck?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby viva la Reagan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I thought MJ Stewart played ok. I get the knock on his speed, but playing m2m as a nickelback in the NFL is a thankless task when you have to chase guys like Agholor, AB, and JuJu on these shallow crossing and option routes. I thought Stewart stuck close and was able to make the tackles Monday night. I'd like to see more plays on the ball from him, but imo he looks like he belongs out there. Again we're talking about a rookie CB in the 3rd game of the season.

Dotson's error Monday were more mental than physical where he didn't pick up the right guy on some the blitz's the Steelers brought, most notably the one where Bostic tipped it and it got picked in the RZ when Hump was WIDE OPEN in the flat and Fitz was trying to get it to him. That went from a TD to a RZ turnover. Maybe I don't have the same high expectations of Dotson, but I do think he's a solid RT that is normally good in passpro. He'll get his biggest test of the season this Sunday vs Khalil Mack. If I'm the Bucs I'm chipping with a TE or RB every passing play that isn't a 3 step drop.

After rewatching the game I'm both encouraged b/c the Bucs were the better football team out there, and disappointed that we left SO MUCH out there. Bad red zone offense, Bad 2-min defense at the end of the first half, Bad turnovers. Luckily these are things that didn't occur weeks 1-2 and should be easily correctable.

really good post, dn. i agree with all of it and would add that i thought all the young guys in the secondary played well, especially considering their inexperience. however, grimes was a bit of a disappointment. one play in particular stands out to me; i’ll need to watch the game again to offer specifics, but ben threw an intermediate out and didn’t get much zip on the pass. it happened right in front of our seats and my son and i both stood up when ben let it go because grimes should have made an easy play on it, which would have gone for six the other way. grimes hesitated and elected to not get a jump on the ball, instead settling for the tackle. iirc, he had safety help, so playing it safe wasn’t necessary. this is from memory, so i could be missing something.

i also thought our linebackers played well, especially lvd, who was a monster, made the correct reads, was quick to the ball, and was a disruptive force out there. the only exception was the third backer, who seemed invisible to me. granted, i was at the game & haven’t had time to watch it again, but i cannot recall who got the reps. was it taylor?

the disappointment for me was the d-line. granted , they’re dealing with several injuries but there didn’t seem to be much pressure, and at least two of the three sacks were coverage sacks.
viva la Reagan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I thought MJ Stewart played ok. I get the knock on his speed, but playing m2m as a nickelback in the NFL is a thankless task when you have to chase guys like Agholor, AB, and JuJu on these shallow crossing and option routes. I thought Stewart stuck close and was able to make the tackles Monday night. I'd like to see more plays on the ball from him, but imo he looks like he belongs out there. Again we're talking about a rookie CB in the 3rd game of the season.

MJ has been dealing with a foot injury. That, along with being a rookie tells me that he's done a good job thus far all things considering. He'll be fine.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Catch and tackle - not good enough.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Watch Rodgers on that Evans TD and you’ll see why he’s out there.
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions