Rapid Reactions Week 3: 30-27 Loss vs Pittsburgh

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Rapid Reactions Week 3: 30-27 Loss vs Pittsburgh

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

Fitz is #1 in passing yards, 1230 yards. At 410 yards per game, more than 50 yards per game better than anyone else. Winston? 258 yards a game.
Fitz is 2nd in QBR, 124.8 - Ahead of Rogers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Goff, Ryan etc...... you get the idea, everyone but Mahomes. Winston? 87.2 QBR.
Fitz is #1 in YPA, 11.08 - Absolutely destroying everyone else. Next best is Mahomes at 9.38 or so. Winston? 7.5 yards per attempt
Fitz is T#1 for longest TD, 75 yards. Winston? In 45 starts he's never thrown one that long.
Fitz beat NO on the road as a 10 point underdog, then beat the current world champs. All in his first 3 games. Overall 4-2 with the Bucs. Winston? 18-27 W/L.
Despite throwing for 1230 yards, Fitz still completes over 70% of his passes. Winston? 60% of his passes.

OF COURSE YOU BENCH FITZ AND RUSH WINSTON BACK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 am

Why are Fitz's stats so much better in these 3 games in 2018 then the 3 games he started for the Bucs last season since all the receivers are the same?
DreadNaught

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 am

Does it matter?
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 am

Maybe he's getting laid more?

Maybe he spent more time studying film since he knew he was starting?

Maybe taking all the reps with the first team offense made him improve?

Maybe the OC calling the plays instead of DK is the difference?

Maybe it's taken him this long to "develop"?

Maybe the receivers appreciate the ball going to the right guy.

Maybe they like a guy throwing a fairly accurate long ball?

Who knows?

The cool thing is it makes no difference. He's performing on the field as we needed!

Period.

Solve by inspection.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:34 am

And he said I don't know football. ahahahahahahaha
Deuce

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:Why are Fitz's stats so much better in these 3 games in 2018 then the 3 games he started for the Bucs last season since all the receivers are the same?

Oline has improved dramatically with Jensen at center and Ali at LG . Except Dotson totally missed his block on the deflected ball and Jensen totally whiffed in his block in the pick six.
Steelers were hungry and desperate but this Oline has really improved a lot for the most part
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:Maybe he's getting laid more?

Who knows?

The cool thing is it makes no difference. He's performing on the field as we needed!

Period.

Solve by inspection.

Patty youve made some good points on Fitz but you just went full troll here, kyddo. Get it together.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Pretty sure in a 3 point game it’s safe to say those 6 points cost us the game.

No, that's not the way it works genius.

Hooray for...math?
PrimeMinister

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 am

What is your take Dread, you seem to be fence sitting a lot.

The point is Fitz is never going to keep these numbers.......but until that ends he keeps playing.

When Winston returns I will pull for him as loud as anyone else.

At this point pulling the top rated QB in the NFL so an inconsistent QB can rush right back in as a starter?

Why? As a reward for ****ing the team over?

You Winston apologists should be kissing Fitz's ass for us being 2-1 right now.....

Had we started 0-3 then Winston's off field actions put us in a huge hole and we miss playoffs by a game, he'd been seen as GOAT of the year.

Not greatest of all time, goat as in Billy.

Pulling this man is telling the team, it doesn't matter how badly you outplay the guy in front of you, we make decisions on where/when you were drafted and other things not related to performance.

Trust me, you don't do that as an organization. Not even Gooberville is that stupid.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Who knows?

Period.

Solve by inspection.

Patty youve made some good points on Fitz but you just went full troll here, kyddo. Get it together.

Not trolling, I genuinely don't know the answer as to why Fitz is playing so much better this year. Do you?
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:

No, that's not the way it works genius.

Hooray for...math?

Yes, math. Just like LeBron misses first shot of the game, team loses 129-128.... he lost the game for them.

Simple math. He made those 2 points his team wins. Right?

Dude, just get lost and reappear once I leave the premises. Seriously.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:Does it matter?

Not to me. I'm just curious if you're being genuine and consistent with your logic.

You've repeatedly compared Winston's stats last season with Fitz this season. We agree Fitz played great in those first 2 games and has put up great stats in his 3 starts.

But it would seem Winston would be just as capable of amassing those stats given his were better than Fitz's last season and he looked sharper in this same offense during the preseason (not that preseason really counts, but we don't have much else to go on).

So for whatever reasons Fitz is playing so much better, I'd say the same (if not more due to age/development) would be the case for Winston when he returns.
DreadNaught

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am

I know this, I think Winston will play better this year as a whole than he's played.

Despite his faults he does have a competitive drive. I know he's chomping at the bit to do some on field talking (thru his play).

I mentioned DK not calling the plays as a positive, last night I felt we didn't call as good of an offensive game as we did in the first two.

That might be just reacting to results though......

Either way it's Winston's team but not to the point you bench the top rated passer in the NFL to give a 18-27 QB his 46th start of his career.

We move on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Hooray for...math?

Yes, math. Just like LeBron misses first shot of the game, team loses 129-128.... he lost the game for them.

Simple math. He made those 2 points his team wins. Right?

Dude, just get lost and reappear once I leave the premises. Seriously.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on the reasons why Fitz is playing better. There's really no deciding factor or reason why. But this is definitely trolling.
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am

Fair enough Bootz, trolling I was.

Dread, I responded to your question and actually I was posting it before I saw what you even wrote.

I think Winston will play better too, but I don't think that assumption constitutes sitting the top rated passer in the NFL so we can bring him back in a short week.

It's too ridiculous a concept for me to even consider.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:What is your take Dread, you seem to be fence sitting a lot.

The point is Fitz is never going to keep these numbers.......but until that ends he keeps playing.

When Winston returns I will pull for him as loud as anyone else.

At this point pulling the top rated QB in the NFL so an inconsistent QB can rush right back in as a starter?

Why? As a reward for ****ing the team over?

You Winston apologists should be kissing Fitz's ass for us being 2-1 right now.....

Had we started 0-3 then Winston's off field actions put us in a huge hole and we miss playoffs by a game, he'd been seen as GOAT of the year.

Not greatest of all time, goat as in Billy.

Pulling this man is telling the team, it doesn't matter how badly you outplay the guy in front of you, we make decisions on where/when you were drafted and other things not related to performance.

Trust me, you don't do that as an organization. Not even Gooberville is that stupid.

My take is that this 2018 Bucs offense will operate at a high level regardless of whether Fitz or Jameis is playing QB. I believe the ceiling is actually higher with Winston since I believe him to be the more talented QB who is capable of making throws Fitz can't. That last drive was an example.

But that doesn't take away from how well Fitz has played. I'm grateful we have him as a back-up and for the way he's stepped in and stepped up these 3 games.

I'm still leaning on Fitz starting week 4. It's just not as clear cut after a 3 INT game where he didn't execute a drive to tie or take the lead with close to 3 minutes left in the game. Gotta come up big in those moments. So while throwing for 400yds is nice, when you don't come through when the team needs you to most, along with directly contributing to 23pt deficit the stats don't mean as much imo.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm

If we were hoping last night's game would uncloud our QB picture, the fact is the picture only got cloudier...

I think this week you get Winston some reps with the first team, but give Fitz the start with a short leash. I think you target Winston to start vs Atlanta though.

Fitz took a ton of abuse last night, and I guarantee you Winston is feeling alot better physically than Fitz is this morning. If Fitz isn't 100% then you roll with Winston.

It'll be interesting to see how Koetter tries to use this uncertainty to his advantage, as the Bears don't know who to prepare for...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:If we were hoping last night's game would uncloud our QB picture, the fact is the picture only got cloudier...

I think this week you get Winston some reps with the first team, but give Fitz the start with a short leash. I think you target Winston to start vs Atlanta though.

Fitz took a ton of abuse last night, and I guarantee you Winston is feeling alot better physically than Fitz is this morning. If Fitz isn't 100% then you roll with Winston.

It'll be interesting to see how Koetter tries to use this uncertainty to his advantage, as the Bears don't know who to prepare for...

You don't give 2 QBs 1st team reps during game preparation. Neither will be as prepared as they should be.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:If we were hoping last night's game would uncloud our QB picture, the fact is the picture only got cloudier...

I'm not a fan of the "short leash" approach. If Fitz is starting you play him unless the wheels fall off.

I agree otherwise. I doubt Koetter will be making any public declarations regarding the starting QB since it only plays to the Bucs advantage to not reveal it.

Until Jameis is back starting teams will have to prepare for both QBs. Not that they are that dissimilar from a defensive scheme/gameplan perspective. But they do have unique tenancies as all players do.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Evans was supposed to keep running at angle and the ball would of been there but he stopped

Wrong. If he ran at an angle he would've been to the right of the pass. Fitz threw it deeper than Evans was.

Looks like Mike Evans agrees with me , you wrong again

“"One was my fault,'' Evans said. "I deviated on my route and tricked Fitz and he threw it across the middle. That was my fault. And a couple tips.''”
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Wrong. If he ran at an angle he would've been to the right of the pass. Fitz threw it deeper than Evans was.

Looks like Mike Evans agrees with me , you wrong again

“"One was my fault,'' Evans said. "I deviated on my route and tricked Fitz and he threw it across the middle. That was my fault. And a couple tips.''”

His deviation of the route is irrelevant. The throw wasn't a good one. He threw it right to Hilton.
Bootz2004

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 pm

How long do we continue with Mike Smith? Imagine if we had even an average defense.. I players fucked up too but mikes play callin is questionable at best
Heisenberg

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Heisenberg wrote:How long do we continue with Mike Smith? Imagine if we had even an average defense.. I players fucked up too but mikes play callin is questionable at best

He's not getting fired mid-season imo.

13 games left, let's see how it plays out.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 pm

With 6 kids and 1 on the way, I doubt this is the reason. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

You don't give 2 QBs 1st team reps during game preparation. Neither will be as prepared as they should be.

I don't think Fitz is 100% right now and if a starting QB is banged up, it's common for the backup to take his reps during the week to prepare the offence.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I'm not a fan of the "short leash" approach. If Fitz is starting you play him unless the wheels fall off.

I agree otherwise. I doubt Koetter will be making any public declarations regarding the starting QB since it only plays to the Bucs advantage to not reveal it.

Until Jameis is back starting teams will have to prepare for both QBs. Not that they are that dissimilar from a defensive scheme/gameplan perspective. But they do have unique tenancies as all players do.

It's not a public short leash. Koetter says the right things goes with Fitz as his starter, but in his mind he knows he's making a switch if Fitz struggles.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I don't think Fitz is 100% right now and if a starting QB is banged up, it's common for the backup to take his reps during the week to prepare the offence.

If he's not 100% don't start him.
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:How long do we continue with Mike Smith? Imagine if we had even an average defense.. I players fucked up too but mikes play callin is questionable at best

He's not getting fired mid-season imo.

13 games left, let's see how it plays out.

Why wouldn't he? Makes no sense to me.

We are ranked #1 in offense, 31st in defense. We score 34 points a game, give up 30 points a game on defense.

If we can tweak that defense just a bit and Winston doesn't short circuit the offense we can make some waves this year.

We were dead last in defense last year, if we throw away a great offensive season to give Smith another year to sit in the press box we deserve to ****ing lose.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Thankfully for Mike Smith the fans (including 99% of the posters here) have no idea what a DC does.

They think sitting in the AC eating hot wings is the best place for him.

Watching our guys trying to disguise what they are doing is painful to look at. No one is showing them anything!

Big Ben actually was laughing once as one of our safeties was trying to fool him, it was an effort below pathetic.

We pick up all these studs for the DL, hasn't made much of a difference overall. From 32nd to 31st if we can hold it. :roll:

We can't get consistent pressure with 4, we can't cover anyone.

Smith's biggest scheme on game day is getting the blue cheese and ranch on the same side so he can occasionally strain through the binoculars to see who has the ball.

I guess people don't want me to be right, or they really are this stupid, no one other than a couple here recognize where the real problem is.

In fact one guy was just blaming the offense for us losing, LOL. It's them, not the defense that's killing us. LOL.

Any regular year for us to be giving up 30 points a game we're 0-3 with a hell of a lot of loses on the way.

Tip - Fitz and the offense have SAVED us this year. Can't expect to average 34 a game all year, we need to make a change at DC and do it yesterday.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:Thankfully for Mike Smith the fans (including 99% of the posters here) have no idea what a DC does.

They think sitting in the AC eating hot wings is the best place for him.

Watching our guys trying to disguise what they are doing is painful to look at. No one is showing them anything!

Big Ben actually was laughing once as one of our safeties was trying to fool him, it was an effort below pathetic.

We pick up all these studs for the DL, hasn't made much of a difference overall. From 32nd to 31st if we can hold it. :roll:

We can't get consistent pressure with 4, we can't cover anyone.

Smith's biggest scheme on game day is getting the blue cheese and ranch on the same side so he can occasionally strain through the binoculars to see who has the ball.

I guess people don't want me to be right, or they really are this stupid, no one other than a couple here recognize where the real problem is.

In fact one guy was just blaming the offense for us losing, LOL. It's them, not the defense that's killing us. LOL.

Any regular year for us to be giving up 30 points a game we're 0-3 with a hell of a lot of loses on the way.

Tip - Fitz and the offense have SAVED us this year. Can't expect to average 34 a game all year, we need to make a change at DC and do it yesterday.

You know you'll get no argument from me on this count. Sadly, I don't think it would matter where Smith sits to eat his hot wings. Smith's schemes don't work in today's NFL. The game has passed him by. Kinda like ol' Gruden out in Oakland. At least Gruden can legitimately blame rust (LOL) on his suckage. Smith has no such luxury.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions