Steelers listening to offers for bell

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Steelers listening to offers for bell

Postby Doctor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Bell would need to agree to play for the team he's being traded to too. That narrows it down a lot.
Doctor

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Came up over beers with some buddies earlier: Winston for Bell. Yay or nay...
Deja Entendu

Postby Teitan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Came up over beers with some buddies earlier: Winston for Bell. Yay or nay...

Nay.
Teitan

Postby theBKwhopper » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Watch me nay nay
theBKwhopper

Postby Caradoc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Only an idiot would trade for Bell. He can't negotiate an extension so you have no guarantees. Even if you could get an extension, you can't count on him playing. Hell no to Bell.
Caradoc

Postby Noles1724 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Came up over beers with some buddies earlier: Winston for Bell. Yay or nay...

Are you stupid or dumb? You don't trade young franchise qbs. unless of course you have knowledge where the franchise qb tree grows
Noles1724

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Noles1724 wrote:

Are you stupid or dumb? You don't trade young franchise qbs. unless of course you have knowledge where the franchise qb tree grows

Ah, so you're looking to apply for the community jerkoff opening?

The question was posed by a fan of another team to a table of mixed fans (obviously directed at me being the only Bucs fan).

For what it's worth, I wouldn't make the trade... but not everyone agrees Winston is the "franchise QB." Many people believe he's an inconsistent gunslinger with a propensity for bonehead plays... and a maturity issue that's caused issues on and off the field.
Deja Entendu

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:57 pm

BucdUpReality wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote: Bell absolutely wants to test his value on the free market. It's already been discussed he will not agree to a deal until FA of next year. I can't see the Steelers getting any better than a 3rd for him and I don't think he reports anywhere until week 11. Plus we would have to lose some big contracts just to fit the tag under the cap.

Is it worth a potential 6 game rental to give up the type of player we'd have to cut?

How would it be a 6 game rental this is only week 3 at worst maybe a 11 week rental. Also he wanted a long term deal with Pittsburgh but wanted more gauranteed money then pit would give him. He can’t sign a long term deal with them now that the season has started but he can with a new team he is traded to. Plus if there’s a will there’s a way, if the rams can figure out how to have all their big players under contract the bucs can figure out a way too. I say do it dom

NVM.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

The question was posed by a fan of another team to a table of mixed fans (obviously directed at me being the only Bucs fan).

For what it's worth, I wouldn't make the trade... but not everyone agrees Winston is the "franchise QB." Many people believe he's an inconsistent gunslinger with a propensity for bonehead plays... and a maturity issue that's caused issues on and off the field.

You only trade QB for RB in Fantasy Football.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

You only trade QB for RB in Fantasy Football.

I’d trade Fitz for Bell.

The last Fitzmagic trick!
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

No
Bootz2004

Postby BacksidePursuit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 pm

I don’t think they’re gonna get a first for him.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:33 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:I don’t think they’re gonna get a first for him.

They may... but they certainly lack leverage. They're flinching first.
Deja Entendu

Postby Naismith » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 pm

BucdUpReality wrote:He can’t sign a long term deal with them now that the season has started but he can with a new team he is traded to.

Is that correct? I didn't think he could sign a deal this year with anyone other than the franchise tag.

I think the play, if you're going to trade for him, is offer a third or less and then let him walk at the end of the season and recoup the pick the following year. You get X amount of games from Bell in exchange for pushing a pick back a year.
Naismith

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Naismith wrote:
BucdUpReality wrote:He can’t sign a long term deal with them now that the season has started but he can with a new team he is traded to.

Is that correct? I didn't think he could sign a deal this year with anyone other than the franchise tag.

I think the play, if you're going to trade for him, is offer a third or less and then let him walk at the end of the season and recoup the pick the following year. You get X amount of games from Bell in exchange for pushing a pick back a year.

This is what I thought as well. If he is traded can he sign a long term deal this year?

If he can't a team would be stupid to give up anything substantial.
uscbucsfan

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Noles1724 wrote:

The Buccaneers have a young franchise QB? If you're talking about Winston, he's gotta win something to be considered a "franchise QB." However, I would not make that trade.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:38 pm

ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

The Buccaneers have a young franchise QB? If you're talking about Winston, he's gotta win something to be considered a "franchise QB." However, I would not make that trade.

Win something like what?
Bootz2004

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:53 am

Crocaneers wrote:He'll be a Patriot

AmiRight?

He can only go to the patriots if he flames out here first. It’s sort of a rule.
Babeinbucland

Postby Swashy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 am

The next few weeks will tell us everything we need to know. Bell is a great player that will come at a great cost. What that cost is will be interesting to see. I would like to see him here but it's all a dream for now
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:15 am

I doubt any team offers much for Leveon Bell for a variety of reasons;

- He's on the FT which means he can't sign long term deal, so he will be hitting Free Agency after the season no matter what.

- Even IF traded, Bell has NO incentive to report before the week 10. Why would he report earlier just b/c it's a new team? He is trying to mitigate injury risk by limiting the # of games he has to play in this season before becoming FA. His plan seems to be he'll report when he MUST and then showcase himself the final 6-7 games for whatever team. Bell doesn't seem to have any interest in his team's success this season (whatever team it ends up being).

- What team is going to part with a valuable pick and/or player for a 6-7 game rental of Leveon Bell given his approach to this season?

Now come this this offseason when Bell is a FA I'd be more than OK if the Bucs kicked the tires. But I don't want any part of Leveon Bell in 2018 if it means giving something of value up.
DreadNaught

Postby Buccs99 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 am

**** no. Cant afford him, cant get a commitment out of him.
Buccs99

Postby Caradoc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Even if you did sign him, would you really trust he wouldn’t just decide next year that his contract still isn’t big enough and hold out again?
Caradoc

Postby Candian_Buc25 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Steelers are likely wanting to get a bit for him. I think we could move some salary around that we could afford him this year and then let him walk next year. I just don't think that it is in our best interest to give away our first round pick to get someone that you are only going to get for 3/4 of a season.

I see a team like the Pats or possibly the Pack (they could have cap trouble as well) making a play for him. I would love to see the Browns take a stab at it but i don't think the Steelers would want to deal him within the division.
Candian_Buc25

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Bucs only have $6 million cap space. The only guy who MIGHT be expendable that's making enough money to possibly accommodate Bell would be Grimes.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Jets call Steelers about Le'Veon Bell; no offer made
Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Iggles are in the list now. Nothing substantial
... yet
Crocaneers

Postby BucdUpReality » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:Bucs only have $6 million cap space. The only guy who MIGHT be expendable that's making enough money to possibly accommodate Bell would be Grimes.

Overthecap says they have 8.6 in cap... eagles only have 4.5 and they’re considering it.
BucdUpReality

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Enough about the cap stuff. We could find the room if we wanted to. There are always restructures to be made.

Anyway, it will be so complicated to get a deal done for any team. There are so many factors...Bell's rust...the league rules preventing a new contract being signed...the tension between Bell's talent and the Steelers' desire to move on from him...

I could see something getting done involving a Day Two pick and a conditional pick if he re-signs with the team that trades for him. But I don't see any perfect fits. You'd need a team that:

A) Feels like they can make a deep run this year
B) Needs A Running Back
C) Isn't scared off by the drama
D) Is willing to trade draft capital for a veteran player who's probably near the Back Nine of his career.

Just off the top of my head:

The Redskins. Yeah, Peterson is coming off a huge game. He's also the oldest starting running back in the league and still averaging a pedestrian 4.2 YPC for the season. I don't think his presence would prevent Daniel Snyder from making this move.

The Packers. This would never be a possibility under the old regime, but this group seems more willing to be aggressive. Aaron Rodgers has never gotten to play with a really special back before.

The Patriots. Belichick has never been afraid to do bold things in the past. If he thinks the Brady window is closing, why not?

The Jets. They don't really fit the "making a run" proviso. But if they feel they can lock him up, what a great present for Sam Darnold going forward.

The Bills. Another team that doesn't quite fit the "making a run" angle. Same logic with Josh Allen. This is Shady's last year regardless and if I'm not mistaken he's far and away the highest paid running back currently under contract. They could overpay Bell and having something to build the offense around.

The Colts. Their rebuild is ahead of schedule. Andrew Luck is easing back in. TY Hilton is still a stud. They did a nice job rebuilding the line and the defense has some pieces. Why not add a player like Bell?

The Raiders. Bell's versality makes him the platonic ideal of a Gruden back. Gruden is under a lot of pressure to win some games and justify his contract. With the extra Khalil Mack picks, this makes a lot of sense.

The Broncos. I never thought I'd say this, but John Elway's seat has to be getting hot. There's probably no better avenue available to him for winning games right now.

And, finally, us. For reasons some have stated. I don't think we'd make this move, for other reasons stated. But it wouldn't be insane if we did.
MJW

Postby BucdUpReality » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Just a question but doesn’t every game bell miss make him cheaper? Like if he reported week 1 he would of costed 14.5 but now after 4 weeks he only cost around 11 million towards the cap? Just a question not sure how that works.
BucdUpReality

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Bell for our 2nd round picks for 2019 and 2020. We won't be needing them anyway
Agent Orange

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions