***The OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Bucs Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***The OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Bucs Thread***

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 am

Teitan wrote:This would be a good week for our D line to find the pass rush. Help those kids on the back end out.

This and I think it's a good week for Ryan Smith to step up. I have zero concerns with his physical abilities to succeed. But dammit if he doesn't trust himself out on the field. His mental mistakes are killer.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 am

Collinsworth slobbering over Rodgers in the booth reminds me of Madden slobbering over Favre. “He’s just like a kid who loves to play ball!!!”
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 am

Caradoc wrote:Collinsworth slobbering over Rodgers in the booth reminds me of Madden slobbering over Favre. “He’s just like a kid who loves to play ball!!!”

The best came at after the game was over and Collinsworth literally gave him a round of applause in the booth.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:I think bringing in a veteran is a must, especially if Grimes is still out. Breeland will work.

We did. We signed Marcus Williams. He's been productive in the past and is just 27. I don't know if Breeland is 100% healthy. I remember he failed his physical with the Panthers during the FA period. It's probably why he's still a FA. We did bring him in for a workout but ultimately didn't sign him.

Yup, there is a reason Breeland is still not signed by an NFL team and it's almost certainly an injury/health issue b/c he certainly has the traits and tape to be on an NFL roster.

Assuming VH3 and Grimes are out again, we have 5 CBs on the 53 and will have to make due with the guys we got.
DreadNaught

Postby EatingWinston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:03 am

Anyone think that we will play more zone on Sunday with our corner situation? I saw a lot more man coverage last week than I remember Smitty doing before.
EatingWinston

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:This would be a good week for our D line to find the pass rush. Help those kids on the back end out.

This and I think it's a good week for Ryan Smith to step up. I have zero concerns with his physical abilities to succeed. But dammit if he doesn't trust himself out on the field. His mental mistakes are killer.

100% agree. This might be Smith's last chance to show he deserves to play CB in the NFL instead of being a career special teams guy.
DreadNaught

Postby EatingWinston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:11 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

100% agree. This might be Smith's last chance to show he deserves to play CB in the NFL instead of being a career special teams guy.

The guy has proven he can make tackles, but I think NFL offenses are too much for the guy.
EatingWinston

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:32 am

As expected Fitz was named NFC Offensive player of the week.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Cameron Brate played 24 snaps Sunday and he’s not hurt. That’s 4 more than Djax played but as we know he was bothered by injury all game long. What exactly is Brate’s role in this offense going to be? This was my issue when we were discussing whether or not he’d be extended. OJ had almost twice as many snaps at 43. Hump and Godwin also outsnapped hm with 46 & 44 respectively. He also didn’t do much in the PS. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into a trend but we all pretty much knew OJ would take over eventually and that moment has seem to come already. That’s a lot of money for a backup TE.

I think he gets more run with Jameis.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Cameron Brate played 24 snaps Sunday and he’s not hurt. That’s 4 more than Djax played but as we know he was bothered by injury all game long. What exactly is Brate’s role in this offense going to be? This was my issue when we were discussing whether or not he’d be extended. OJ had almost twice as many snaps at 43. Hump and Godwin also outsnapped hm with 46 & 44 respectively. He also didn’t do much in the PS. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into a trend but we all pretty much knew OJ would take over eventually and that moment has seem to come already. That’s a lot of money for a backup TE.

I think he gets more run with Jameis.

At who's expense?
Bootz2004

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 am

What are Danny Gorrer and Leonard Johnson doing?
IchabodCrane84

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:What are Danny Gorrer and Leonard Johnson doing?

Retired and Free agent.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I think he gets more run with Jameis.

At who's expense?

Good question, but I do think Brate has a better rapport with Jameis, in addition we saw during the preseason that Brate was always out here with Winston.

It's just tough not have the 11 (3-WR) personnel out there when you have Evans-Djax-Godwin, along with a beast like Howard that is always a mismatch in the pass game along with being a superior run blocker compared to Brate.

It is what it is, Brate is a reliable pass catcher but on this team he's the 5th or 6th best receiving option.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I thought he played pretty good in New Orleans, the TD pass looked like it was the S at error.

Maybe I'm wrong.

4 CB's played rank them on performance. Brees had freedom to operate, no one is safe from that.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:05 am

mdb1958 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I thought he played pretty good in New Orleans, the TD pass looked like it was the S at error.

Maybe I'm wrong.

4 CB's played rank them on performance. Brees had freedom to operate, no one is safe from that.

I think that TD to Michael Thomas was a (communication) error on Conte leaving that gaping hole/window in the zone.

Smith was solid last week, I agree. He needs to stack some games together like that. Like Bootz mentioned, I think he just lacks confidence in himself.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
At who's expense?

Good question, but I do think Brate has a better rapport with Jameis, in addition we saw during the preseason that Brate was always out here with Winston.

It's just tough not have the 11 (3-WR) personnel out there when you have Evans-Djax-Godwin, along with a beast like Howard that is always a mismatch in the pass game along with being a superior run blocker compared to Brate.

It is what it is, Brate is a reliable pass catcher but on this team he's the 5th or 6th best receiving option.

And let's be real - that wasn't a guaranteed thing going into this year...

Would ANY of us have thought that Godwin would out to be Godwin? This fast? How many mid round WR's are drafted that are just "meh". I mean that diving catch on sunday... we've got a GEM.

That wasn't guaranteed.

OJ Howard, for as big and athletic he is, is actually exceeding my expectations. How many times have we seen huge athletic TE's come into the league and just not be able to put it all together for whatever reason. His ascension (at least based on what we saw this week) is, I think, exceeding a lot of people's expectations, not just mine.

DJax maintaining DJax speed was always going to be a ? - father time is undefeated. And with Winston, he's still a relative ? - with Fitz though, he's a major threat.

Hump? Little ass Hump? Who knew we'd end up with such a reliable slot guy out of nowhere? And it seems like he just gets better and better.

Signing Brate was a great contingency plan for if any one of those didn't work out. It just so happens they're ALL working out better than expected. The value isn't lost though. After the past couple years, Brate has made a name for himself, and I'm sure defenses are aware of him when he's out there. And so are other GM's.... it's a great problem to have.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Would ANY of us have thought that Godwin would out to be Godwin? This fast? How many mid round WR's are drafted that are just "meh". I mean that diving catch on sunday... we've got a GEM.

That wasn't guaranteed.

OJ Howard, for as big and athletic he is, is actually exceeding my expectations. How many times have we seen huge athletic TE's come into the league and just not be able to put it all together for whatever reason. His ascension (at least based on what we saw this week) is, I think, exceeding a lot of people's expectations, not just mine.

DJax maintaining DJax speed was always going to be a ? - father time is undefeated. And with Winston, he's still a relative ? - with Fitz though, he's a major threat.

Hump? Little ass Hump? Who knew we'd end up with such a reliable slot guy out of nowhere? And it seems like he just gets better and better.

Signing Brate was a great contingency plan for if any one of those didn't work out. It just so happens they're ALL working out better than expected. The value isn't lost though. After the past couple years, Brate has made a name for himself, and I'm sure defenses are aware of him when he's out there. And so are other GM's.... it's a great problem to have.

Absolutely. I have no issue with the Bucs re-signing Brate and it's a long season. Injuries will occur, and Djax isn't guaranteed to start this weekend. So like you stated if ANY of the those aforementioned targets misses a game or two the Bucs have a guy like Brate to come in and provide a good receiving target.

He's just kind of the odd man out right now when everyone is healthy though.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:06 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I think he gets more run with Jameis.

At who's expense?

Sunday's game was an anomaly. We scored 48 on only 28 passes. Evans got the largest target share at 25%. D-Jax at 18%. Humphries 18%. Brate had 2 targets (7%), which is 3 less than D-Jax and the same as OJ. Going forward and with Winston, I'd expect Evans, D-Jax and and Humphries all to tick down a little. Let's not forget, we also only threw 1 pass to our RB's. So I'd expect Brate and Barber/Rodgers to increase.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am

DreadNaught wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

That wasn't guaranteed.

Absolutely. I have no issue with the Bucs re-signing Brate and it's a long season. Injuries will occur, and Djax isn't guaranteed to start this weekend. So like you stated if ANY of the those aforementioned targets misses a game or two the Bucs have a guy like Brate to come in and provide a good receiving target.

He's just kind of the odd man out right now when everyone is healthy though.

He did get the same amount of targets as OJ and more than any of our RB's.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Was that you who called up and screamed at Stephen A. Smith?

No, I don't watch that crap. But I was in a restaurant and they had several sports channels on and every one of them was Rodgers, Rodgers, Rodgers. So tell me about this call... you've got me curious.

I don't listen to this stuf either, but this was a riot.

Dude has had way too much coffee.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:36 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:
No, I don't watch that crap. But I was in a restaurant and they had several sports channels on and every one of them was Rodgers, Rodgers, Rodgers. So tell me about this call... you've got me curious.

I don't listen to this stuf either, but this was a riot.

Dude has had way too much coffee.

LOL
beardmcdoug

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 pm

I can’t stand Stephen Smith
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Any word on if Vita practiced today ?
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Any word on if Vita practiced today ?

We'll have an update I imagine once practice is over and Koetter addresses the media.

Don't expect a status for Sunday, but we may learn as to whether Vea (and others) are atleast practicing with the team. With the time Vea has missed I can't imagine he plays Sunday without a full week of practice.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm

@ScottSBucs
11m
Among those not practicing today in portion open to media: DT Vita Vea, DE Jason Pierre-Paul, CB Brent Grimes, WR DeSean Jackson.
NYBF

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

NYBF wrote:@ScottSBucs
11m
Among those not practicing today in portion open to media: DT Vita Vea, DE Jason Pierre-Paul, CB Brent Grimes, WR DeSean Jackson.

Ugh. Not good
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
NYBF wrote:@ScottSBucs
11m

Ugh. Not good

We are in a very, VERY bad spot when DJax being hurt/not practicing is the least of many evils...
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm

I just want to see a Dline of JPP-Vea-McCoy-Curry on the field together and healthy before I die.
DreadNaught

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:44 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:What are Danny Gorrer and Leonard Johnson doing?

Retired and Free agent.

So you're telling me there's a chance?
IchabodCrane84

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I just want to see a Dline of JPP-Vea-McCoy-Curry on the field together and healthy before I die.

You will this year. Still very early in the season.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions