***2018 Official NFL Season Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***2018 Official NFL Season Thread***

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:53 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The Dolphins have released DT Jordan Phillips.

Phillips is 6'6' 330lb former (2015) 2nd round pick that has shown to be a dominant force inside at times. The knock on him was that he takes plays off, and that dates back to his college days.

He apparently had a sideline tantrum this past weekend vs the Patriots and the Dolphins had enough.

Given the Bucs lack of depth at DT I wouldn't mind bringing this guy to see where his head is at. He could be useful in a situational role.

No thanks.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:The Dolphins have released DT Jordan Phillips.

Phillips is 6'6' 330lb former (2015) 2nd round pick that has shown to be a dominant force inside at times. The knock on him was that he takes plays off, and that dates back to his college days.

He apparently had a sideline tantrum this past weekend vs the Patriots and the Dolphins had enough.

Given the Bucs lack of depth at DT I wouldn't mind bringing this guy to see where his head is at. He could be useful in a situational role.

We just released a DT who many thought was playing fairly well. I don't think DT depth is much of a concern right now.

We also signed a DT named Rakeem Nunez-Roches that played for KC last season. So apparently the people that matter thought they could improve on whatever Jerel Worthy was providing.

Is Jordan Phillips a better option than this Rakeem Nunez-Roches guy as a 4th DT?
DreadNaught

Postby SIBucsFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:30 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
We just released a DT who many thought was playing fairly well. I don't think DT depth is much of a concern right now.

We also signed a DT named Rakeem Nunez-Roches that played for KC last season. So apparently the people that matter thought they could improve on whatever Jerel Worthy was providing.

Is Jordan Phillips a better option than this Rakeem Nunez-Roches guy as a 4th DT?

Don't know much about Nunez-Roches. He's 25 years old, 6-2, 307 lbs., ran a 5.02 40-yard dash and had a 34" vertical and posted 26 reps at the 2015 combine. He started 16 games the past two seasons, including 11 with the Chiefs last season. So he has some experience, youth, and at least had some good athletic and strength measurements. On paper he's not bad for a reserve DT.
SIBucsFan

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I would much rather have Phillips
Jason Bourne

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Sounds like the fat boy from last season to me.
PrimeMinister

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Jordan Phillips has a history of inconsistent play, in large part due to poor effort. Perhaps more importantly, he got visibly upset on the sidelines past week because he wasn't getting much playing time. That second reason is why the Dolphins cut him.

Signing a debatably lazy backup would be bad enough. Signing a debatably lazy backup who causes a distraction because he is a backup would be even worse.

No thanks.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

The people that matter think he is. This may or may not have anything to do with anything but Nunez-Roches played college ball at Southern Miss, where OC Todd Monken was his head coach.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Worthy jumped offside on sunday, got yanked from the game, yelled at by Buckner, and then cut the next day. Dang.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:34 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Worthy jumped offside on sunday, got yanked from the game, yelled at by Buckner, and then cut the next day. Dang.

Sounds about right. 4th stringers can't afford to make mistakes like that. Especially when they aren't good enough to overcome them.
Bootz2004

Postby PetePierson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Cheb wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Jordan Phillips has a history of inconsistent play, in large part due to poor effort. Perhaps more importantly, he got visibly upset on the sidelines past week because he wasn't getting much playing time. That second reason is why the Dolphins cut him.

Signing a debatably lazy backup would be bad enough. Signing a debatably lazy backup who causes a distraction because he is a backup would be even worse.

No thanks.

Didn't the Yucks already sign Albert Haynesworth, previously?
PetePierson

Postby MJW » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 pm

If Phillips had his **** together, he'd have been a top ten pick and he'd likely be one of the most dominant odd front linemen in the league.

He does not, he is not, and whatever.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am

Jets star Isaiah Crowell wins endorsement deal after being fined by NFL for rubbing football on butt
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

New York Jets running back Isaiah Crowell was fined $13,369 by the NFL for this crude touchdown celebration. (AP)

New York Jets running back Isaiah Crowell ran into some trouble on Tuesday when the NFL fined him $13,369 for his crude touchdown celebration in Cleveland.

However, Crowell's stunt in front of a national audience against the Browns turned into an endorsement opportunity he couldn't pass up.

After scoring against his former team on Sept. 20. during Thursday Night Football, Crowell, 25, took the football and wiped it against his rear end before firing it into the stands. Crowell played with the Browns for four seasons before signing with the Jets as a free agent in March.

It made for a viral moment from New York's 21-17 loss to previously winless Cleveland and earned Crowell a scolding from coach Todd Bowles.

"It was inexcusable," Bowles said after the game. "We talked about it and it will never happen again."

Crowell’s mother didn’t approve of the gesture either.

"Well, I did not like it as a mother," Debbie Crowell told ESPN. "I was literally shocked. Isaiah is such a mild-mannered person; he usually doesn't do much celebrating. I've never seen him go to that extreme. I was like, 'Oh, my God.' I had a crowd of people in the house. He told me it just happened in the heat of the moment. As a mother, I wish he hadn't done it."

Crowell insisted he wasn’t trying to send a message to the Browns. He insisted he was just having fun but felt bad about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty his celebration drew.

However, the news didn’t stink for Crowell who landed a promotional deal with Dude Wipes – a company that sells a toilet paper substitute for men.

The company and Crowell posted photos on social media of the NFL star promoting the product.

“A wipe to remember. We’ve got you covered, Isaiah Crowell,” a tweet from Dude Wipes read.

“Thanks to Dude Wipes I am now covered. Never leave home without them!” Crowell wrote in an Instagram post.

The terms of the endorsement deal were not immediately available.

Bowles said on Wednesday that he was aware of the endorsement but said the stunt would not happen again.

“I just heard about it,” Bowles said according to the New York Daily News. “The play itself won’t happen again on our field. I can’t do anything about anybody’s endorsement deal off the field. But on this team, it won’t happen.”

Crowell took a bathroom break before speaking to reporters on Wednesday. He declined to speak about the endorsement.

Crowell came under fire in 2016 while with the Browns for posting a picture of a police officer getting his throat slit. He later apologized, saying "I was very wrong in posting that image," according to Cleveland.com.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

'Merica!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:01 am

I know ya'll heard me clamoring about Rashaan Melvin! It seems he is leading the league in PD's - good for him.
mdb1958

Postby Seamen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 am

We wouldn’t let a player like Melvin get away if he was in our building MDB come on now it must just be magic or something
Seamen

Postby Super K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am

Rumors flying around that the Cards are shopping Reddick and Bucannon....

I think Bucannon would be a nice fit here at SS allowing us to play more single high and protect against the run in nickel/dime....
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:50 am

Super K wrote:Rumors flying around that the Cards are shopping Reddick and Bucannon....

I think Bucannon would be a nice fit here at SS allowing us to play more single high and protect against the run in nickel/dime....

We already have the perfect personnel for our ‘let them catch it then chase’ defense.
Teitan

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

Super K wrote:Rumors flying around that the Cards are shopping Reddick and Bucannon....

The last people we need to trade for are two guys who would be linebackers in our scheme.

No thanks.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:37 am

Cheb wrote:

The last people we need to trade for are two guys who would be linebackers in our scheme.

No thanks.

Our "LBs" don't get torched in coverage?

Bucannon is a proven good player... Reddick has high upside...
Not taking a look at either because our our LB corps is short sighted...

Given our safety situation, not looking at Bucannon is flat out dumb...
Super K

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Super K wrote:
Cheb wrote:

No thanks.

Bucannon isn't a coverage guy. He's a box player, whether you call him a safety or a linebacker is irrelevant.

Now, if we didn't have LVD and we felt that we could protect him as a Will in the nest, then by all means I'd be interested. But Bucannons' strength is as a tackler, not in coverage. He has strictly been an undersized linebacker for the past two years. He would get burned in coverage just like our other linebackers.

As for Reddick, I didn't like him coming out in the draft and he has done nothing to change my opinion. Upside be damned, look at the man in front of you. He's undersized and underproductive. He would only see the field for us as a situational pass rusher. Okay, if you wanna trade for an undersized draft bust and hope you can turn him around, be my guest.

Let's say it's third and long. Lets look at our lineup here. JPP is a given at one defensive end spot. Reddick would be a laughable tackle. So do you put Riddick in at the other end spot the majority of the time? Over Curry and Gholston and Nassib and everyone else? If you are doing so, then why can't the Cardinals get him on the field if he's so good? If you aren't putting him in, then why the hell did you just trade for him?
Last edited by Cheb on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm

The 2 Cardinals guys don't have a fit on the Buccaneers, not because the linebackers in Tampa are good but because neither of those guys are any better.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Super K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Cheb wrote:
Super K wrote:

Bucannon isn't a coverage guy. He's a box player, whether you call him a safety or a linebacker is irrelevant.

Now, if we didn't have LVD and we felt that we could protect him as a Will in the nest, then by all means I'd be interested. But Bucannons' strength is as a tackler, not in coverage. He has strictly been an undersized linebacker for the past two years. He would get burned in coverage just like our other linebackers.

As for Reddick, I didn't like him coming out in the draft and he has done nothing to change my opinion. Upside be damned, look at the man in front of you. He's undersized and underproductive. He would only see the field for us as a situational pass rusher. Okay, if you wanna trade for an undersized draft bust and hope you can turn him around, be my guest.

Let's say it's third and long. Lets look at our lineup here. JPP is a given at one defensive end spot. Reddick would be a laughable tackle. So do you put Riddick in at the other end spot the majority of the time? Over Curry and Gholston and Nassib and everyone else? If you are doing so, then why can't the Cardinals get him on the field if he's so good? If you aren't putting him in, then why the hell did you just trade for him?

Blitzing Riddick could offer us more than keeping Taylor out there...or even Kwon...

And I'd take Bucannon in coverage over ANY of our LBs and maybe even our safeties...

Does our defensive scheme suck?..yes...but we aren't gonna get any better if we continue to "not touch" or move on from some of the players we have...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

The week 7 game of Bengals @ Chiefs has been flexed to NBC'S Sunday Night Football, replacing Rams @ 49ers.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am

Bootz2004 wrote:The week 7 game of Bengals @ Chiefs has been flexed to NBC'S Sunday Night Football, replacing Rams @ 49ers.

Bengals are damn good team not getting the love/attention they should. Strong defense led by the front 7 and offense who committed to the run game in the offseason and is now much more balanced.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 am

Antonio Brown is being sued for allegedly throwing furniture off a 14 story balcony, almost hitting an elderly man and his grandchild.

Surveillance videos capture the incident.

What a swell guy.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:24 am

Rocker wrote:Antonio Brown is being sued for allegedly throwing furniture off a 14 story balcony, almost hitting an elderly man and his grandchild.

Surveillance videos capture the incident.

What a swell guy.

Spencer Lanning agrees.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

Bootz2004 wrote:The week 7 game of Bengals @ Chiefs has been flexed to NBC'S Sunday Night Football, replacing Rams @ 49ers.

So who do you think the NFL has scripted to win this one?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am

Buc2 wrote:

:ninja:
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Buc2 wrote:

Chiefs are a great story, but they could weather a loss and still be fine. A win on primetime like this might give some needed attention to a good bengals team who has a good chance of being around later in the year. The "bengals overcoming their playoff woes" is going to be an easy, obvious story that'll hold a decent amount of attention come playoffs.

My bet is refs help the Bengals a little bit in this game. It won't be over the top though. If the Chiefs steamroll the Bengals its still a good story. Not much tweaking needed in this one, overall.
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Buc2 wrote:

Probably the Chiefs. And win big they will.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So who do you think the NFL has scripted to win this one?

Chiefs are a great story, but they could weather a loss and still be fine. A win on primetime like this might give some needed attention to a good bengals team who has a good chance of being around later in the year. The "bengals overcoming their playoff woes" is going to be an easy, obvious story that'll hold a decent amount of attention come playoffs.

My bet is refs help the Bengals a little bit in this game. It won't be over the top though. If the Chiefs steamroll the Bengals its still a good story. Not much tweaking needed in this one, overall.

Ha! You covered all the bases. Nice wordplay. Very nice, indeed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions