Rapid Reaction: 2018 Preseason Debut 26-24 Win

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Rapid Reaction: 2018 Preseason Debut 26-24 Win

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am

Wow, very clear that some here didn't even watch the game *cough* AO *cough*.

I watched every snap, because I have my priorities in order, so here we go:

- I'm going in order of position here but first, Jordan Whitehead. Bucs fans are gonna love this guy. He hits hard. He's one of those guys where every tackle he makes looks painful for the ball carrier. The best part was no flags on all of his hard hits. He also made a few nice pass breakups. Is it too early to let him start over Conte?

-All 3 QB's looked good. Overall they were 37/47. Griffin was very impressive. Winston looked like the Winston we all want. He threw a lot of checkdowns in between throws he fit into tight windows. Even had a throwaway. He did take a couple of sacks but the backup o-line also allowed some very early pressure on a few occasions. Winston still loves Brate.

-Barber still looks to be the workhorse to me. He's not really exciting but he gets the job done. Jones had a nice cut on his TD. He also dropped a pass that hit him right between the numbers. If I had to guess, it'll be Barber, Jones, and Quizz. Maybe Ogunbowale can make the PS.

-At WR, we're loaded but we all knew that. Evans fell down catching the ball again, on a play where he could have picked up a lot of YAC. I wouldn't want to be the one to decide between Bobo, Watson, Bailey, et al.

-Starting o-line was good. Backups must have had some miscommunications or something.

-Starting d-line looked great. Backups were meh as usual.

-Already mentioned Whitehead. I also like Carlton Davis. Stewart seemed a little iffy in coverage but does tackle well. It's his first game so I'll cut him some slack. Ryan Smith and Hargreaves...sigh. Ryan Smith was literally getting targeted over and over by Bryce Petty in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game.

-Not worried about the kicker. I mean...of course I'll hold my breath every time because I'm a Bucs fan, but he'll be fine. Bobo was the only returner that stood out to me.
Deuce

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

We gave up 116 yards rushing! 87 in the first half.
mdb1958

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 am

Didn't get to watch the whole thing, but a couple thoughts....
As far as the the first drives when it was starters vs starters, it looked like it was our OL that was revamped, not the DL. The DL was pretty meh the first drive and the OL played great.
The OL did do him favors, but Peyton Barber looked really good. He reminds me of Ernest Graham. I don't see Jones unseating him any time soon.
Spence whooped the backup LT on an inside move, whiffed on a sack though. I remember people knocking him when we drafted him for not having a counter for the speed rush. Looks like he's been working on moves.
Austin Johnson looked pretty good at FB. Threw a real nice block on that TD run near the goal line.
Ervin Philips stood out playing gunner.
Gholston should not be playing inside on running downs.
The Winston to Brate connection didn't miss a beat.
Winston looked pretty good. I think he only had one (maybe 2) incompletion where he threw it too high for Bobo. I think Bobo could have brought it down still, though.
That pass that Jones dropped that was mentioned earlier....it looked like he was scared to catch it. He had a safety coming downhill and it really looked like he didn't give full effort.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 am

And for anyone in the Orlando or Miami markets that got the Phins' broadcast. Holy ****ing ****! Was **** Stockon in midseason form or what? He pretty much had no clue what was going on the entire game. I could make an hour long highlight reel of his **** ups and nonsense from just last night's game.
deltbucs

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am

deltbucs wrote:That pass that Jones dropped that was mentioned earlier....it looked like he was scared to catch it. He had a safety coming downhill and it really looked like he didn't give full effort.

At first, I thought the same thing. After rewatching, it looks more like he just dropped it and then got hit. It's preseason, so not a huge deal but here are all of his touches. It's the first play.

Also, rbf put it perfectly when he said this guy "was juked out of his kneecap" or something like that.

https://old.reddit.com/r/buccaneers/comments/962u5c/79_wtf_man/
Deuce

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 am

only watched the 1st 1/2

1st team defense got handled on the 1st drive, even thought the Dolphins didn't score they marched right through the 1st string till it stalled.

Our 1st string offense looked good. Best part was Fitz quick release and Barber. Fitz had the ball out before you could blink, so I wouldn't go high fiving the O Line just yet.

Even on the Barber TD run it was a full on push to the right and he cut back HARD to the left. Barber looked good.

Our D Line looked ok after the 1st drive. but they were ugly and worthless when the Dolphins went uptempo straight out of the gate.
Stuart

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

Deuce wrote:
deltbucs wrote:That pass that Jones dropped that was mentioned earlier....it looked like he was scared to catch it. He had a safety coming downhill and it really looked like he didn't give full effort.

At first, I thought the same thing. After rewatching, it looks more like he just dropped it and then got hit. It's preseason, so not a huge deal but here are all of his touches. It's the first play.

Also, rbf put it perfectly when he said this guy "was juked out of his kneecap" or something like that.

lol not surprised that ended up on reddit
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

QBs - Nothing to bitch about here. All 3 were efficient and accurate. Winston was pressured early on some snaps via the matador blocking by the reserve Olinemen in front of him which resulted in the few negative plays the Bucs had in the pass game last night.

RBs - Barber seems to be the clear RB1. I love his style of being a '1-cut and get up field' type of RB. He's always leaning forward and rarely takes negative plays. He and Jones should hopefully be a nice complementary 1-2 punch. Jones had nowhere to run since by the time he was getting rushing attempts the 2nd-3rd string Oline was in there. Jones did drop a pass on 3rd down but Minkah Fitzpatrick (who looked great for the Fins) was going to light him up short of the 1st down anyways even if he caught it.

WRs - We're loaded. Godwin made some plays, should've held onto that one on the sideline but Minkah made a great play as Godwin was bringing it into his chest. Watson had a fumble but looked good otherwise. Bailey looked good in the 2nd half with Griffin. Not worried about the WR unless we get some injuries, but even then this is the best depth we've had at WR in a long time, maybe ever tbh.

TE's - Didn't see much other than the Brate-Winston connection seems solid as ever. Winston completed a pass to Brate in between 3 defenders that was most beautiful pass of the night. I think they intentionally kept the 'Y' TE into block to protect the RT since Dotson and Webster didn't play.

Oline - The left side of the starting O-line (Smith-Marpet-Jensen) looked pretty damn good. There is still competition at RG with Evan Smith starting last night over Benenoch and Cappa who saw action later. Dotson didn't play. Once the 1st team Oline left the game the run blocking was non existent and pass protection degraded as well. But I'm moreso worried about our top 7-8 Olinemen that will be on the 53 and the ones that played looked solid.

Dline - JPP and McCoy looked disruptive. Didn't see much from Curry or Allen. Vea and Unrein didn't play. The starting Dline didn't rotate much the first 2 series and it was the same 4 pretty much every snap. It's just the first preseason but the Dline looks both bigger, faster, and more physical (and that was without Vea). Would've liked to see more pressure, but I wasn't disappointed. Still more work to do there.

LBs - We're good here.

CBs - Ryan Smith got picked on. I liked Davis and Stewart when they were able to play close to the WR. Davis gave up some easy completions playing off pre-snap, but the guy has skills when he's allowed to be aggressive. I think Davis will be the starting CB opposite Grimes before too long. VH3 and Stewart will battle for the nickel.

Safety - Evans looks good and I expect a big year 2 from him. Rookie 4th rounder Jordan Whitehead looked good. He's very athletic and aggressive. He and Evans would be a nice Safety combo in this new age NFL where Safeties have to be more cognizant of making plays on the ball instead of hard hits on receivers.

Not worried about our kicker (yet). But I still get nervous based on the struggles this franchise has had there recently.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for all the recaps, everyone. I have to wait for the NFLN replay to watch the game, but this gives me stuff to watch for. I'm looking forward to it!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BUCCABEER » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 am

I had 2 thoughts after the game was over last night.

First, Whitehead will be starting at Strong Safety week 1. I really like his play and his attitude. Could be the best pick of our draft.
Second, Dirk looked like a coach last night. I wasn't sure what was different until I read this morning that Monken called the plays last night. I thought the offense was fluid and they did a really good job of moving the ball efficiently. I hope he continues to call the plays because I think that made a big difference in all aspects of the game.
BUCCABEER

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am

BUCCABEER wrote:I had 2 thoughts after the game was over last night.

First, Whitehead will be starting at Strong Safety week 1. I really like his play and his attitude. Could be the best pick of our draft.
Second, Dirk looked like a coach last night. I wasn't sure what was different until I read this morning that Monken called the plays last night. I thought the offense was fluid and they did a really good job of moving the ball efficiently. I hope he continues to call the plays because I think that made a big difference in all aspects of the game.

I read that (Monken calling the plays) won't continue into the regular season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 am

The offence looked fluid because we could run the ball. Monken calling plays in the preseason is a contingency plan.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

Buc2 wrote:
BUCCABEER wrote:I had 2 thoughts after the game was over last night.

I read that (Monken calling the plays) won't continue into the regular season.

Which is stupid to even let him do it in the PS. But perhaps it's Dirk trying to get a better idea of how to change his own tenancies. 3 out of 4 red zone drives ended in TDs and a 5th at the very end set up the game winning FG.

I personally don't care who calls plays and often times I put lack of execution on the players but it's obvious that his playcalling has been holding this offense back.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

lol not surprised that ended up on reddit

Wasn't juked, he rolled up his right ankle
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:03 am

Caradoc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:lol not surprised that ended up on reddit

due to being juked...
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

rookies first NFL game , without the starting Oline.....ROJO will do just fine. not worried.
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I read that (Monken calling the plays) won't continue into the regular season.

Which is stupid to even let him do it in the PS. But perhaps it's Dirk trying to get a better idea of how to change his own tenancies. 3 out of 4 red zone drives ended in TDs and a 5th at the very end set up the game winning FG.

I personally don't care who calls plays and often times I put lack of execution on the players but it's obvious that his playcalling has been holding this offense back.

Meh, the offense has been fine moving the ball and picking up 1st downs (despite being dead last in explosive running plays). The issue has been the red zone offense, couple with terrible kickers. That lack of red zone success has alot to do with the inability to run the ball with the field gets small. I'm not saying playcalling in the red zone couldn't have been better. But when you can run the ball in the red zone it makes scoring TDs much easier for an offense.

That said, I don't care who calls the plays. I'd probably lean more on wanting Monken to do so in order to free up Koetter to see the bigger picture as HC. It's not like Dirk isn't on the headset providing input still.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am

Number one third down defense in the league agaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin and we still cant stop teams from scoring.
mdb1958

Postby Bucs N Beers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Smith/Marpet/Jensen is a dominant trio. The right side is currently in shambles.

Ryan Smith has EJ Biggers syndrome. Right place, right time, can't find the ball.

Peyton Barber has just enough wiggle to slide through trash at the line. Excited to see what he does this year. Would love to see Rojo get the start in 2nd preseason game. We had 4 OT's out last night. The backup line was trash.

Pat O'Connor had a nice night.
Bucs N Beers

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Pat O'Connor had a nice night

I thought so too.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Number one third down defense in the league agaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin and we still cant stop teams from scoring.

3rd down defense is certainly an area for improvement but that is something that we all have to wait for the regular season to gauge imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:Smith/Marpet/Jensen is a dominant trio. The right side is currently in shambles.

Ryan Smith has EJ Biggers syndrome. Right place, right time, can't find the ball.

Peyton Barber has just enough wiggle to slide through trash at the line. Excited to see what he does this year. Would love to see Rojo get the start in 2nd preseason game. We had 4 OT's out last night. The backup line was trash.

Pat O'Connor had a nice night.

Cappa will solidify that side of the line when Dot is back to 100%... calling it now.Cappa will be starting RG
Jason Bourne

Postby SIBucsFan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:Ryan Smith has EJ Biggers syndrome. Right place, right time, can't find the ball.

I get that feeling too--a great athlete put at CB because he's a great athlete.

I know he's young, but if doesn't get at least considerably better this season his only chance will be special teams, a la Josh Robinson. Not a bad thing, he just has the ability to be more than that.
SIBucsFan

Postby Eastwood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm

ROJO is such a stupid name. It’s as bad as stick carriers.

That Harris guy was all over the place.
Eastwood

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Eastwood wrote:ROJO is such a stupid name. It’s as bad as stick carriers.

That Harris guy was all over the place.

People who can't operate the NFL mobile app are stupid. :birdiedoublered:
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

due to being juked...

Before the juke
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Caradoc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:due to being juked...

Before the juke

Ankle clearly rolled before the juke. Who was that anyway
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

Before the juke

Ankle clearly rolled before the juke. Who was that anyway

Pat O'Connor
mdb1958

Postby Native Son » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:36 pm

It was definitely one of the 'better 1st preseason games' in several years.
Mistakes sure, there were some, but here's hoping Vernon Hargreaves heals quickly, wins over fans and
builds on his legacy by securing the DBotY THIS season. :drinkingcheers:
Native Son

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Native Son wrote:It was definitely one of the 'better 1st preseason games' in several years.
Mistakes sure, there were some, but here's hoping Vernon Hargreaves heals quickly, wins over fans and
builds on his legacy by securing the DBotY THIS season. :drinkingcheers:

If VH3 wins ANY sort of award this year; I'll pour hot sauce over my hat and ****ing eat it.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions