Darrelle Revis: Retired.

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Darrelle Revis: Retired.

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Also, I'm still pretty bitter about the whole Revis thing. It was such a great feeling landing him. *sigh*
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Also, I'm still pretty bitter about the whole Revis thing. It was such a great feeling landing him. *sigh*

It would be very tough to explain to young Buc fans in 5 or 10 years what happened there.

"We traded a 1st rounder for one of the greatest corners in NFL history, who was only 28 years old. He spent the 2013 season healing, but he still played pretty well. Then we dumped him because his salary was high. No, we weren't having cap problems. No, we hadn't actually strengthened the secondary in other ways. We hired a new coach and Revis wasn't a great fit for his scheme, and it was a lot of money. No, that coach didn't work out - he was fired a year later. Yes, Revis ended up having 2-3 more really good years for other teams after that."

I'm not doing 20/20 hindsight. Dumping Revis was defensible at the time. But it sure doesn't look great 5 years later.
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 am

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:Also, I'm still pretty bitter about the whole Revis thing. It was such a great feeling landing him. *sigh*

It would be very tough to explain to young Buc fans in 5 or 10 years what happened there.

"We traded a 1st rounder for one of the greatest corners in NFL history, who was only 28 years old. He spent the 2013 season healing, but he still played pretty well. Then we dumped him because his salary was high. No, we weren't having cap problems. No, we hadn't actually strengthened the secondary in other ways. We hired a new coach and Revis wasn't a great fit for his scheme, and it was a lot of money. No, that coach didn't work out - he was fired a year later. Yes, Revis ended up having 2-3 more really good years for other teams after that."

I'm not doing 20/20 hindsight. Dumping Revis was defensible at the time. But it sure doesn't look great 5 years later.

We will have to agree to disagree on that point. I think anyone defending that move was just drinking the kool-aid and/or over-thinking/out-smarting themselves. The team did not need to save that $16mil at that time. Dropping him like they did was stupid.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree on that point. I think anyone defending that move was just drinking the kool-aid and/or over-thinking/out-smarting themselves. The team did not need to save that $16mil at that time. Dropping him like they did was stupid.

You could make a reasonable argument at the time. The following points were true in 2014:

One, Lovie Smith's defense did not traditionally rely on great cover corners.
Two, Revis was considered to be much better in man than zone, which is what Lovie was going to run.
Three, $16 million would have been the highest salary of any corner in the NFL by nearly $4 million dollars over #2. This would be the porportional equivalent of us paying Mike Evans $22 Mil APY now.
Four, we were able to turn a 4th round pick into a 3rd round pick, which I'm sure was attractive to a new regime.
Five, the savings allowed that regime to go on a free-agent spending spree to improve the roster.

Obviously, almost none of that worked out right. Nobody is arguing otherwise. Lovie was gone in year. The 3rd round pick was used on a scat back. Almost all the free agent we signed sucked.

But the thinking itself? Yes, that was defensible. Let's say we'd used that 3rd rounder on Devonta Freeman or Trai Turner. Let's say we'd used the Revis savings to add Golden Tate or Emmanuel Sanders, or Malcolm Jenkins, or Zach Strief, etc. Would we be lamenting the move to this degree now?

The thought process was valid at the time.
MJW

Postby Native Son » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 am

2013 was a disaster but those first 2 games (losses, of course)had the Bucs just destroying WRs coming over the middle while getting flagged for every major hit. SCARY and serving notice to the league. The Revis Effect on the D was REAL, briefly, then swiftly died.
Native Son

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Agreed. Thomas and Revis are first ballot guys no doubt.

Witten will get in quick, but 1st ballot guys are usually reserved for guys that were THE BEST at their position of a span of multiple years. Witten has the all-time stats to get in and is great with the media. But he was never the best TE in the NFL.

Chancellor will have tough road to get in. What is the argument for him to get in over Lynch (who is still waiting).

Same with Freeney.

Freeney has 125.5 sacks in 17 seasons
Simeon Rice has 122 sacks in 13 seasons

Rice still isn't in the HoF.

I won't bother typing basically the same thing.

Me Either, but I agree with it.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 am

Noles1724 wrote:
bahamian:bucfan wrote:
For me, he is definitely the best I have ever seen! Yes, even better than Deon!

well you're just wrong.

Deon didn't like to tackle.
BucaRican

Postby terrytate » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 pm

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

You could make a reasonable argument at the time. The following points were true in 2014:

One, Lovie Smith's defense did not traditionally rely on great cover corners.
Two, Revis was considered to be much better in man than zone, which is what Lovie was going to run.
Three, $16 million would have been the highest salary of any corner in the NFL by nearly $4 million dollars over #2. This would be the porportional equivalent of us paying Mike Evans $22 Mil APY now.
Four, we were able to turn a 4th round pick into a 3rd round pick, which I'm sure was attractive to a new regime.
Five, the savings allowed that regime to go on a free-agent spending spree to improve the roster.

Obviously, almost none of that worked out right. Nobody is arguing otherwise. Lovie was gone in year. The 3rd round pick was used on a scat back. Almost all the free agent we signed sucked.

But the thinking itself? Yes, that was defensible. Let's say we'd used that 3rd rounder on Devonta Freeman or Trai Turner. Let's say we'd used the Revis savings to add Golden Tate or Emmanuel Sanders, or Malcolm Jenkins, or Zach Strief, etc. Would we be lamenting the move to this degree now?

The thought process was valid at the time.

The biggest issue was hiring Lovie in the first place. Everyone knew that T2 wasn't going to work. Hell, I thought that even he knew that. Turns out that he didn't and the results spoke for themselves.

Since we had already spent a first for him, we should have kept Revis and hired Mike Zimmer.
terrytate

Previous

Return to Team Discussions