Buccaneers Mount Rushmore

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Buccaneers Mount Rushmore

Postby NYBF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 am

Not sure why this is a story in the middle of July, but I guess Auman needed to put something out to justify his check this week.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018 ... -monument/

The selection process for a Mount Rushmore of former Bucs players— part of a project from the Times Sports department that includes an overall Mount Rushmore of Tampa Bay athletes — is first incredibly easy, and then exceedingly difficult.

Three spots are, as they say, set in stone. The fourth? Not so easy to carve out. Is there room for a fifth in there?

RELATED: Here's the Mount Rushmore of Tampa Bay sports

Lee Roy Selmon
The first draft pick in the team's first season in 1976, he became an icon in the community and a Pro Football Hall of Famer. He's beloved enough we still pay to drive on the expressway that carries his name, and we're now mourning the loss of the restaurant that did the same. The tough defense the franchise is best known for started with No. 63, from the very beginning.

Warren Sapp
Another Pro Football Hall of Famer, Sapp was the brash, confident front of Tampa Bay's dominant defense, both leading up to and in their Super Bowl win against the Raiders in January 2003. He finished his career in Oakland, but had 77 sacks with the Bucs, along with seven Pro Bowl seasons and four nods as a first-team All-Pro.

Derrick Brooks
Like Selmon, as beloved in the community as on the field, deservedly joining teammate Sapp in Canton. Brooks was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2002 when the Bucs won their only Super Bowl championship. He played 221 games, made 11 Pro Bowls and was a five-time first-team All-Pro selection, but fans will remember him best holding the ball high as he went in for a clinching pick-six touchdown with 1:18 left in the Super Bowl.

John Lynch
Another huge foundational part of the Bucs defense under Tony Dungy and in the Super Bowl, Lynch earned a reputation as a hard hitter when the game still embraced it. He finished his career in Denver and is now the 49ers' general manager, but Bucs fans know No. 47 for his 23 career interceptions, setting the tone with smart, physical play in the secondary.

You could make a strong case for Ronde Barber as a fourth Bucs player on the team's Rushmore. Barber had an amazing longevity, and perhaps the single greatest moment in Bucs history, with his interception to seal a win over Philadelphia and lock up a trip to the Super Bowl. His rare combination of interceptions (47, eight returned for TDs) and sacks (28) may eventually get him to Canton before Lynch even.

It seems inarguable that a Bucs Rushmore would be entirely on defense, as the franchise's stars have been tilted to that side of the ball. The best quarterbacks had their biggest success elsewhere. Perhaps Mike Evans can pile up enough 1,000-yard seasons and incredible catches to someday stake a claim to a spot there, or Jameis Winston if he can push through off-field problems and lead the team back to the playoffs and national relevance.

All right, BZ - how did he do?
NYBF

Re: Buccaneers Mount Rushmore

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 am

Not bad.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am

I'd agree with Barber over Lynch
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am

I loved Lynch when he played here, but I loved Barber too. So I could have gone either way between those 2 for Mount Bucmore. The other 3 are no-brainers imo.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I'd agree with Barber over Lynch

This

Statistically is not a debate imo, but Lynch racked up alot of pro-bowls in an era that suited his playing style.

I just think Barber was a better, more versatile and more valuable defender than Lynch over their careers.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Ya I loved Lynch, but Barber was the more valuable player- plus he played his entire career here.
real bucs fan

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Kress

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Kress wrote:
Super K

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 pm

On second though, what about Tim Wansley? If only to serve as a reminder of the fact that we are ****.

Edit: Obligatory "John Lynch only got in because he's white!"
The Outsider

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 pm

I'd like to see us go with a coach. Possibly Richard Williamson or Raheem the Dream.

In all seriousness about a coach, I'd be all for a half face of Dungy/Gruden to make both sides happy and because, well, that's the way it should be. Both responsible for our ring.
NavyBuc

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am

NavyBuc wrote:I'd like to see us go with a coach. Possibly Richard Williamson or Raheem the Dream.

In all seriousness about a coach, I'd be all for a half face of Dungy/Gruden to make both sides happy and because, well, that's the way it should be. Both responsible for our ring.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:59 pm

I wish there was an offensive player to put up there. We just don't have any offensive guys that measure up to the big four, whether you view Barber or Lynch as the fourth guy.
terrytate

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Rushmore **** is gay
Jason Bourne

Postby bearlandbucfan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am

terrytate wrote:I wish there was an offensive player to put up there. We just don't have any offensive guys that measure up to the big four, whether you view Barber or Lynch as the fourth guy.

I agree. It's downright depressing really. I can understand teams being stronger or tending to be stronger on one side of the ball. However, they usually have a handful of players on the opposite side that can at least be discussed. Who on offense for us? Alstott??? Dunn? Rhett?? Maybe Paul Gruber now that I think about it. Not a flashy offensive pick, but he definitely was a great OL man.
bearlandbucfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am

Just make it Monte Kiffin. Easy.
IchabodCrane84

Postby *tgp* » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:56 am

Gruber over Lynch.
*tgp*

Return to Team Discussions