JR Sweezy: Released

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: JR Sweezy: Released

Postby Doctor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:24 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
RobR wrote:Marpet back to RG?

QB

Smart, rotating our QBs can keep our guards fresh.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Doctor wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:QB

Smart, rotating our QBs can keep our guards fresh.

I'll defer to mdb on that one.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Good. Now Jason Licht can quit pretending he was ever even serviceable to begin with.

FIFY.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 pm

We’re really going to miss him on the field.
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:16 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:We’re really going to miss him on the field.

Almost as badly as Jameis is inevitably gonna miss DeSean.
Caradoc

Postby Swashy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 pm

Good it's about ****ing time
Swashy

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 pm

If they ever let you "Create A GM" in Madden, Licht's draft rating will be like an 81 and his "Free Agency" rating will be 12.
MJW

Postby Super K » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 pm

MJW wrote:If they ever let you "Create A GM" in Madden, Licht's draft rating will be like an 81 and his "Free Agency" rating will be 12.

LMFAO...

So damn true...
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Study harder grasshopper.

lol!
Yep, they got us twice...
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 am

MJW wrote:If they ever let you "Create A GM" in Madden, 30 GMs draft rating will be like an 81 and his "Free Agency" rating will be 12.

FIFY
Bootz2004

Postby Native Son » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:34 pm

The OL charity/retirement/whiff drive in Tampa is just mind-boggling
Native Son

Postby Terp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Who?
Terp

Postby Doctor » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 pm

But back to the topic, I don't like this move at all. Either his health isn't where it should be or someone else has shown a lot, but moving on from a starter when he hasn't been clearly beaten out by another player never works out well. I wonder what the new five combo brings about, maybe Ali moves back maybe not. JL is betting on Cappa being another gem, but lightning doesn't strike twice.
Doctor

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Doctor wrote:But back to the topic, I don't like this move at all. Either his health isn't where it should be or someone else has shown a lot, but moving on from a starter when he hasn't been clearly beaten out by another player never works out well. I wonder what the new five combo brings about, maybe Ali moves back maybe not. JL is betting on Cappa being another gem, but lightning doesn't strike twice.

He wasn’t practicing still, per report I saw on Twitter.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Doctor wrote:But back to the topic, I don't like this move at all. Either his health isn't where it should be or someone else has shown a lot, but moving on from a starter when he hasn't been clearly beaten out by another player never works out well. I wonder what the new five combo brings about, maybe Ali moves back maybe not. JL is betting on Cappa being another gem, but lightning doesn't strike twice.

In all honesty Sweezy never beat out Marpet for his job and was handed the RG spot. He wasn't a good starter no matter how much people try to say otherwise.

And Cappa isn't a candidate at this point. He's playing tackle (as of now). Caleb Beneoch or Evan Smith will probably man that spot or Ali Marpet could move back there while Smith goes to the LG spot he had been playing.

I will say also that maybe we should have brought Pamphile back.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:57 pm

Sounds like his health wasn’t going to allow him to play. What else do you want OBP to do?
PrimeMinister

Postby Doctor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

In all honesty Sweezy never beat out Marpet for his job and was handed the RG spot. He wasn't a good starter no matter how much people try to say otherwise.

And Cappa isn't a candidate at this point. He's playing tackle (as of now). Caleb Beneoch or Evan Smith will probably man that spot or Ali Marpet could move back there while Smith goes to the LG spot he had been playing.

I will say also that maybe we should have brought Pamphile back.

I think PM is right, it's a health thing. I also think it's a young guys behind him thing. Sweezy did play very well for us last year near the end. He even stepped up more when he played with back ups after half the line went on IR before he ended up joining them missing the last game of the season. Caleb has also looked pretty good in his part time at OG and the coaching staff could be seeing a lot to like for the rookie. At the end of the day if you have younger, healthier guys who aren't too far behind, have more potential and can develop more chemistry longer (and without injury interruptions) AND you can save $6.5M, you do it.

Point is what is happening today doesn't change or reframe what is on the tape for last year. He played well.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 pm

I'd also agree with Bootz in that we should've brought Pamphile back, especially when we (more than likely) already knew Sweezy was gonna get cut..

While Pamphile struggled at LG he was much better at RT (imo)...this could've left Cappa or Benenoch to focus on guard...

Not bringing back Pamphile while also letting Sweezy go feels like what Licht did at DE last year (in that it was a boneheaded move)...

We brought in nobody, everyone chomped at the bit for JSmith to return, then we cut his ass...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Super K wrote:I'd also agree with Bootz in that we should've brought Pamphile back, especially when we (more than likely) already knew Sweezy was gonna get cut..

While Pamphile struggled at LG he was much better at RT (imo)...this could've left Cappa or Benenoch to focus on guard...

Not bringing back Pamphile while also letting Sweezy go feels like what Licht did at DE last year (in that it was a boneheaded move)...

We brought in nobody, everyone chomped at the bit for JSmith to return, then we cut his ass...

Um, did Dotson die? RT is locked down and those guys can focus on OG, which is what they are doing. If Caleb loses he may go back to being swing man. But right now it's full press on OG and we don't have anything to worry about at RT unlike last year's DE.
Doctor

Postby Nano » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Super K wrote:I'd also agree with Bootz in that we should've brought Pamphile back, especially when we (more than likely) already knew Sweezy was gonna get cut..

I imagine we are hoping that one of the young guys(Either Caleb or Cappa) takes over the spot. Hell, that might be why we traded up to get Cappa cause we figured that Sweezy is more likely gone and that he might be ready to start sooner than later. Can't say that I'm unhappy that we didn't bring Pamphile though. Struggle is an understatement...he was one of the worst guards in the NFL when he played and while he did do better at RT, Dotson isn't going anywhere at least this or next year.
Nano

Postby Doctor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Indeed. I tried to hold out on Pamphile developing but he never became more of a JAG. We could just plug Caleb in there right now and honestly it'd be close enough to Pamphile level.
Doctor

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 pm

In none of these cases should the answer have been to bring back Pamphile. He was awful last year. Cappa and Benenoch are playing OG at the moment.
Four Verticals

Postby Super K » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Four Verticals wrote:

In none of these cases should the answer have been to bring back Pamphile. He was awful last year. Cappa and Benenoch are playing OG at the moment.

Very true (Pamphile being bad last year)....

However Benenoch looked just as bad,imo, in the snaps he got and Cappa is a small school rook...

And I'm not pounding the table screaming Pamphile was good, what I AM saying is , once again, Licht had no plan at a position of need for us (OG)...

If anything, now more than ever, I wish we had used some of the picks we got to trade down in the 1st to trade back into the round and grab Hernandez...
Super K

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Super K wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:

Very true (Pamphile being bad last year)....

However Benenoch looked just as bad,imo, in the snaps he got and Cappa is a small school rook...

And I'm not pounding the table screaming Pamphile was good, what I AM saying is , once again, Licht had no plan at a position of need for us (OG)...

While you, me or anyone else on the board may disagree with what was done at guard, it appears the determination was that Pamphile wasn't going to cut it no matter what and the staff has been talking up Benenoch since prior to Sweezy being released. Evan Smith along with Cappa is the current depth and Smith actually was ok last year when he played OG. I don't think there was much thought that Sweezy was coming back. They basically waited for him to be cleared by the the doctors, gave him a look and let him go. He couldn't have been let go prior to then.
Four Verticals

Postby MJW » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:29 am

I'm operating from the assumption that OBP felt good enough about Cappa in minicamps to make this move, and would not have made it otherwise.

I'm also operating from the assumption that Cappa is going to win the spot in a battle with Evan Smith. Smith would end up as the primary backup at the interior positions, with Benenoch either the swing tackle and/or the RTOTF for another year.

I could be wrong about some or all of this. But I'm pretty confident about the first part.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 am

Cappa isn't in this equation right now. He's been playing right tackle.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Cappa isn't in this equation right now. He's been playing right tackle.

He's getting work at RT and RG. He's still very much in play.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:59 pm

MJW wrote:I'm operating from the assumption that OBP felt good enough about Cappa in minicamps to make this move, and would not have made it otherwise.

I'm also operating from the assumption that Cappa is going to win the spot in a battle with Evan Smith. Smith would end up as the primary backup at the interior positions, with Benenoch either the swing tackle and/or the RTOTF for another year.

I could be wrong about some or all of this. But I'm pretty confident about the first part.

FWIW....reports from multiple attendees who've written about it, mentioned that Benenoch was playing RG in place of Sweezy with Cappa backing him up during OTAs including the minicamp. That could obviously change but it shows what the Bucs are likely thinking at the moment.
Four Verticals

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Either option is likely as good or better than Sweezy at a fraction of the cost. That's why JR is on the bus with Joe Hawley right now.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am

terrytate wrote:Either option is likely as good or better than Sweezy at a fraction of the cost. That's why JR is on the bus with Joe Hawley right now.

That sounds like the consensus around here, now, but looks/feels alot more like drinking the Kool aid....

I think everyone would agree that after the season one of the biggest question marks was "what are we gonna do at guard?"...it was talked about, and viewed, as such an important position that necessitated changes/upgrades and was vital to our success this year, particularly in the run game...

Keep Marpet at center and find a better guard or move Marpet and find a better center etc....

After FA and the draft we has
D our new, rebuilt OL...Smith, Marpet, Jensen, Sweezy and Dot..

Little more than 2 months later and we still have the same question we did in February..."what are we gonna do at Guard?"...

The decision making is even more perplexing if Cappa isn't viewed/looked at as "the guy" to take the RG spot...

Wishing more and more that we would've packaged the Ronald Jones and Justin Watson picks together to jump up to Cleveland's 2nd pick in the 2nd round to grab Hernandez...

We still could've grabbed a RB in round 2, with the head scratching MJ Stewart pick, and snagged Davis and Whitehead for DB help..
Super K

Previous

Return to Team Discussions