Winston beyond this year?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Winston beyond this year?

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 pm

I am starting to wonder if Winston will get a second contract with the Buccaneers or not. His off-field issues coupled with up and down play make the second contract a risky proposition. The national media are all out to hang the dude with the Uber investigation so the outlook looks grim for those just reading national press clippings.

How many wins does the team need for the axe not to fall on Koetter? Would a new coach or GM want Winston if the team fails to win again?

Koetter:
Anything less than 8-8 I think results in a firing or at the very least a forced departure of some assistant or position coaches.

Winston:
Anything less than 8-8 with a moderately successful defense would also end up with Winston not getting a contract unless the incoming coach is in love with him. Bottom line Winston is not the issue, but he is not currently elevating the team either. He is better than Shaun King and Trent Dilfer, but he is not a franchise QB at this point.
UbuntuBuc

Re: Winston beyond this year?

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

You don't even have to search for it....there's a thread talking about this same thing on the first page.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4311
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Off field issues. Let's talk about this one. Ubuntu, what are all of Winston's off field issues since he entered the league?
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Let's be honest, if a new HC came in, why the **** would they want Winston? If we have a new HC that very likely means that Year 4 of Winston went just about as well as the other years(Or not that good). You'll have a QB that has missed 3+ games each of the past 2 seasons, A QB that in 3 seasons has 44 INTs and 31 fumbles(with 11 lost)(Both likely to go up by a decent amount), a QB that has one of the worst deep ball accuracy in the NFL, a QB with multiple sexual assault allegations(With the #MeToo movement in full force)...and the only claim to fame since entering the NFL is sticking his hands in his mouth during a pregame speech and creating one of the biggest memes of 2017.

But he's so young though and hasn't reached his peak...or reached top 15 QB status in the NFL yet. He has so much potential though...or he did 4 years ago(Seriously, time to throw away the 2015 scouting report)...but he's such a leader. Just ask his horrified teammates during the Eat a W speech or some of the dudes now that are just "Next man up" with Fitz.
Nano

Postby Nano » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Off field issues. Let's talk about this one. Ubuntu, what are all of Winston's off field issues since he entered the league?

The Uber allegations(and the potential lying he did during the case), his weird sexist remarks to the 5th graders that caused a media and personal shitstorm, and the BS Lattimore poke from last year(though I guess he was technically on the field). Or are we still pretending that none of this happened?
Nano

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Off field issues. Let's talk about this one. Ubuntu, what are all of Winston's off field issues since he entered the league?

I am not sure I know about all of them, but the ones I have heard about are: Uber allegation, and sexist comments in a classroom (sexism is a bit of a stretch, but stupid all the same).
UbuntuBuc

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Nano wrote:

The Uber allegations(and the potential lying he did during the case), his weird sexist remarks to the 5th graders that caused a media and personal shitstorm, and the BS Lattimore poke from last year(though I guess he was technically on the field). Or are we still pretending that none of this happened?

Ha! Talk about reaching. Sexist comments? Yea to stupid, soft Americans. Any idiot could understand what he meant. Well except idiots like you and Ubuntu here. And if that poke is classified as an off field issue that would make you question whether or not to bring a player back, then you clearly don't watch the NFL or college football either for that matter.

I knew Ubuntu would embarrass himself but I'm shocked you chose to embarrass yourself, Nano.
Bootz2004

Postby UbuntuBuc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 am

Bootz2004:

Putting aside your personal thoughts on my embarrassment what are your thoughts on Koetter's future? What record do the Buccaneers need to achieve in order for his job to be safe? How does the team record impact Winston's future? Contribute some football discussion if you are capable.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 pm

The problem with Winston is that you have...

Rape allegations
BB gun thing
Yelling FHRITP
Stealing crab legs
Poking Lattimore
Pushing Shelton Quarles to run onto the field
Uber driver incident

Honestly I could be forgetting one or multiple things. Standing on their own, no single incident is enough to move on from him. So you'll have people like bootz, who defend him by singling out these incidents and diminishing them.

When you put them all together, things start to seem pretty bleak. I'm not sure how you can defend all of these without admitting that he has a problem. And no, don't use the age excuse. There are plenty of young NFL players who haven't put up a list like this.
Deuce

Postby sonofg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Deuce wrote:The problem with Winston is that you have...

Rape allegations
BB gun thing
Yelling FHRITP
Stealing crab legs
Poking Lattimore
Uber driver incident

Honestly I could be forgetting one or multiple things. Standing on their own, no single incident is enough to move on from him. So you'll have people like bootz, who defend him by singling out these incidents and diminishing them.

When you put them all together, things start to seem pretty bleak. I'm not sure how you can defend all of these without admitting that he has a problem. And no, don't use the age excuse. There are plenty of young NFL players who haven't put up a list like this.

I agree, it's the totality that is damning. Nobody has this much bad luck...
sonofg

Postby kaimaru » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm

sonofg wrote:
I agree, it's the totality that is damning. Nobody has this much bad luck...

You obviously haven't seen my life. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kaimaru

Postby murdock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Honestly Winston seems to be a natural fit for Vince McMahon's XFL and I hope he ends up there.
murdock

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Deuce wrote:The problem with Winston is that you have...

Rape allegations
BB gun thing
Yelling FHRITP
Stealing crab legs
Poking Lattimore
Uber driver incident

Why is there a need to defend any of them? The only thing I care about is his play and he'll miss 3 games. That's all that matters. Cam Newton has a list of things if you go back to college too, but that stuff only matters when someone is in trouble.

I'm not sure if you are talking yourself into cheering for him as your QB or not, but for now he is our QB. Unless more stuff happens, he'll continue to be.

More than anything I want him to fix his deep accuracy.
uscbucsfan

Postby J-Stink » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Stealing crablegs, grabbing poohsay and eatin' W's.
J-Stink

Return to Team Discussions