Jw suspended

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Jw suspended

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:The comment about giving up alcohol in the statement is Winston’s admission that he did grab her by the *****. The fact that he won’t challenge is further proof of his guilt.

I hope I’m wrong but I think we will regret not drafting Rosen when we had the chance.

What does ANY of that have to do with Josh Rosen? Rosen wouldn't even be a good fit in this system.

In what way?
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:06 am

Here's a hypothetical/thought exercise?

OBP announces Jameis is on the block. He still has 2 years of team control (including the 5th year option), making him a relative bargain despite the suspension.

Do the Bucs get any offers?

Do they get any GOOD offers?

If you're Miami, or the Giants, or the Bengals, or even the Patriots, do you offer anything of value?

This seems like a question we keep in mind as we determine Winston's next contract.
MJW

Postby Nano » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:11 am

We'd get offers but they would probably suck. Like a 4th or 5th for him.
Nano

Postby Babeinbucland » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:36 am

Nano wrote:We'd get offers but they would probably suck. Like a 4th or 5th for him.

That would be true if there weren’t so many ego involved that are just absolutely sure THEY are the ones who can turn Jameis around. They believe that the Bucs are the ones who have mangled this situation because of an inexperienced HC. So I think we would quite possibly be offered a 2nd and most certainly a 3rd.
Babeinbucland

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:39 am

Do you think a front office would win over a fan base by trading for Winston? I don’t think there are many fans of opposing teams who are thinking, ‘man, I wish Winston was out QB.’

Regardless, if you trade him while he is suspended you are going to take a bath and basically put the other team in a cant lose situation: they either get a star or a bust, but they paid peanuts either way.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:57 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
What does ANY of that have to do with Josh Rosen? Rosen wouldn't even be a good fit in this system.

What it means is we had a chance to snag arguably the best QB in the draft. I’ve watched Winston since Hueytown. I was a fan of his before he even signed his LOI, much less played for my favorite college and pro team.

At this point, I think it’s more likely that the Winston pick will be looked backed on as the move that set this franchise back not moved it ahead.

Hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t think Winston will ever grow up and mature. It’s kind of baked in the cake by now.

It looks like our future is having a 20 million dollar a year QB who could embarrass your franchise at any moment. You never know when that late night phone call is coming.

In defense of Winston, lots of men are overgrown teenagers well into their 20's. This doesn't excuse anything, but the lights can come on when things like fatherhood happen.

I'm just saying who he is now is not who he's going to be 3-5 years from now.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
What it means is we had a chance to snag arguably the best QB in the draft. I’ve watched Winston since Hueytown. I was a fan of his before he even signed his LOI, much less played for my favorite college and pro team.

At this point, I think it’s more likely that the Winston pick will be looked backed on as the move that set this franchise back not moved it ahead.

Hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t think Winston will ever grow up and mature. It’s kind of baked in the cake by now.

It looks like our future is having a 20 million dollar a year QB who could embarrass your franchise at any moment. You never know when that late night phone call is coming.

In defense of Winston, lots of men are overgrown teenagers well into their 20's. This doesn't excuse anything, but the lights can come on when things like fatherhood happen.

Or who he was 2 years ago.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am

Nano wrote:We'd get offers but they would probably suck. Like a 4th or 5th for him.

I think they can prolly get a 2nd or 3rd for him, but would have to be during the season when a contender’s top qb goes down and they’re desperate.
NavyBuc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 am

NavyBuc wrote:

I think they can prolly get a 2nd or 3rd for him, but would have to be during the season when a contender’s top qb goes down and they’re desperate.

I think we will never find out.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 am

We're not trading Winston. I like hypotheticals as much as the next fan, but this aint happening.

He'll either walk in FA and we'll get a comp pick or more than likely we re-sign him.

People won't forget this situation, but a year from now it will be in the rear view and the Bucs will be negotiating a contract extension w/ Jameis.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:16 am

Brazen331 wrote:Do you think a front office would win over a fan base by trading for Winston? I don’t think there are many fans of opposing teams who are thinking, ‘man, I wish Winston was out QB.’

Regardless, if you trade him while he is suspended you are going to take a bath and basically put the other team in a cant lose situation: they either get a star or a bust, but they paid peanuts either way.

I really have no clue on this and we'll never get a real answer. On one hand, everyone is shitting on Winston right now and I don't think any fans are asking for him. But you know their tunes would change if he went to their team.

Tyreek Hill is freaking loved. Roethlisberger, too. The Cowboys signed Greg Hardy. These moral issues don't actually seem to matter for long in the NFL.
Deuce

Postby Krojen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Today's climate towards sexual harassment is a lot different than even just a couple years ago. Jameis' goofy personality and immaturity has been wearing thin both on and off the field. No team is going to take the PR hit for trading to get this guy. For what? To get the only QB that can't throw to DeSean Jackson, is incapable of throwing a spiral, and hasn't been a difference maker in the win column? Mike Florio reported months ago that if Jameis was cut, no team prefers him over their current starter.

So he's not a gifted athlete and can't be trusted off the field - it was leadership that was always his biggest asset. He was going to slap dudes in the face and change our losing culture. Well the low effort blowouts are happening at the same rate, he's making Mike Evans look like a fool defending him when he poked that Saints player from the sideline, and it took Kwon in week 16 to finally set swaggy Baker straight.

What does he even contribute to a team? A false hope that in his 4th, 5th, or 6th+ year he'll finally take the next step?
Krojen

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Krojen wrote:Mike Florio reported months ago that if Jameis was cut, no team prefers him over their current starter.

Deuce

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Krojen wrote:Today's climate towards sexual harassment is a lot different than even just a couple years ago. Jameis' goofy personality and immaturity has been wearing thin both on and off the field. No team is going to take the PR hit for trading to get this guy. For what? To get the only QB that can't throw to DeSean Jackson, is incapable of throwing a spiral, and hasn't been a difference maker in the win column? Mike Florio reported months ago that if Jameis was cut, no team prefers him over their current starter.

So he's not a gifted athlete and can't be trusted off the field - it was leadership that was always his biggest asset. He was going to slap dudes in the face and change our losing culture. Well the low effort blowouts are happening at the same rate, he's making Mike Evans look like a fool defending him when he poked that Saints player from the sideline, and it took Kwon in week 16 to finally set swaggy Baker straight.

What does he even contribute to a team? A false hope that in his 4th, 5th, or 6th+ year he'll finally take the next step?

beardmcdoug

Postby Cheb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Krojen wrote:Today's climate towards sexual harassment is a lot different than even just a couple years ago. Jameis' goofy personality and immaturity has been wearing thin both on and off the field. No team is going to take the PR hit for trading to get this guy. For what? To get the only QB that can't throw to DeSean Jackson, is incapable of throwing a spiral, and hasn't been a difference maker in the win column? Mike Florio reported months ago that if Jameis was cut, no team prefers him over their current starter.

Now that's funny.
Cheb

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:

That would be true if there weren’t so many ego involved that are just absolutely sure THEY are the ones who can turn Jameis around. They believe that the Bucs are the ones who have mangled this situation because of an inexperienced HC. So I think we would quite possibly be offered a 2nd and most certainly a 3rd.

If the best offer is for a 2nd round pick I have to think that is not a ringing endorsement for JW.
UbuntuBuc

Postby *tgp* » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Go Bucs!
*tgp*

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:In defense of Winston, lots of men are overgrown teenagers well into their 20's. This doesn't excuse anything, but the lights can come on when things like fatherhood happen.

Or who he was 2 years ago.

How about 8 months ago when he lied about 2 years ago?
Four Verticals

Postby MJW » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:49 am

Deuce wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Do you think a front office would win over a fan base by trading for Winston? I don’t think there are many fans of opposing teams who are thinking, ‘man, I wish Winston was out QB.’

I really have no clue on this and we'll never get a real answer. On one hand, everyone is shitting on Winston right now and I don't think any fans are asking for him. But you know their tunes would change if he went to their team.

Tyreek Hill is freaking loved. Roethlisberger, too. The Cowboys signed Greg Hardy. These moral issues don't actually seem to matter for long in the NFL.

The fact they'd change their tunes if Winston was on THEIR team is exactly the kind of mindset that worries me around HERE. Or at least, it makes me wonder.

Are we really going to give a six-figure contract to a QB who most agree wouldn't fetch a Day Two pick on trade block?

Are we (as in, Bucs fans) underrating how big a deal this is to everyone else? It's why I asked the question.

As to your other point, nobody knew who Tyreek Hill was. If the FIRST thing you learn about a guy is that he's awesome, it's natural to have that as your starting point. If you're a casual fan who doesn't know who Antonio Callaway is, and he catches 15 TDs this year, and THEN you learn he's a piece of ****, he's still going to be primarily thought of as a stud FIRST for most people, no? We tend to stay loyal to our first impression.

Same thing applies with Roethlisberger, mostly. I had no idea he had character defects coming out of Miami U. Then he comes in and he's a superstar and it's like, "Wow, he's a turd? Are we sure?" And by the time we'd largely accepted he's a turd, he had a Superbowl ring and there was nothing left to talk about.

The Cowboys DID take a world of crap for Greg Hardy as I recall.
MJW

Postby KennyPowers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:01 am

:soapbox:
KennyPowers

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am

Deuce wrote:

Ben Roethlisberger has won his team Super Bowls and goes to the playoffs and Pro Bowl every year. Jameis Winston can’t even lead the Bucs to the playoffs. That’s the big difference in those two. Winning games and championships can shut a lot of people up who care about moral issues.
NavyBuc

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Hard to believe that a bleeding heart liberal is defending a dude who sexually assaulted a woman.

And yeah, I’m sure my daughter would tell you that I’m still immature. But I don’t go around grabbing women by the *****, drunk or not. Don’t make excuses for shitty behavior.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I still blame Hard Knocks
Crocaneers

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Commander Bubbles wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:In defense of Winston, lots of men are overgrown teenagers well into their 20's. This doesn't excuse anything, but the lights can come on when things like fatherhood happen.

Hard to believe that a bleeding heart liberal is defending a dude who sexually assaulted a woman.

And yeah, I’m sure my daughter would tell you that I’m still immature. But I don’t go around grabbing women by the *****, drunk or not. Don’t make excuses for shitty behavior.

Shoo fly, don't bother me.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Commander Bubbles wrote:

Shoo fly, don't bother me.

Or what? You’ll have me banned?
Commander Bubbles

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Commander Bubbles wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Shoo fly, don't bother me.

You'll have to wait until I'm drunk enough.

While you're waiting, scroll up to my post you quoted and read the part that says "that doesn't excuse anything".

****. All I got is Bud Light right now. I get paid on Tuesday, I'll get a 5th of bourbon and ban you then, okay?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:52 pm

On second thought, I'm smoking a lot more weed these days so I suspect I'm gonna be way too peace and love to ban anybody anytime soon.

One of the other guys will have to do it. Sorry.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:59 pm

You get people banned alot?...

That seemed...random...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Super K wrote:You get people banned alot?...

That seemed...random...

Long story. And no. I don't ban people. I do drink tho.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Commander Bubbles wrote:

You'll have to wait until I'm drunk enough.

While you're waiting, scroll up to my post you quoted and read the part that says "that doesn't excuse anything".

****. All I got is Bud Light right now. I get paid on Tuesday, I'll get a 5th of bourbon and ban you then, okay?

Lol, I guess that’ll have to do.
Commander Bubbles

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions