Players must stand for anthem

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:Wait I thought they originally kneeled protesting moving the extra point back?

The holder kneels in protest of being a back-up QB.
DreadNaught

Postby Onthebrink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 pm

So, Breitbart says that 100s of players protested the anthem. The players don't like the song or what? I mean it's never reached the top of the charts but it's catchy.
Onthebrink

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Stuart wrote::cussingblack:

Bitch, no one can ban me. Best get used to that.
The Outsider

Postby sanka » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Trump needs to keep sucking Putin’s ****.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 pm

sanka wrote:Trump needs to keep sucking Putin’s ****.

You're not helping.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 pm

What an odd coincidence that Trump has perhaps the most disasterous week of his Presidency and he's trotting out this fetid red meat again...
MJW

Postby Bucs N Beers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:For the record, I would never in a million years dream of kneeling or being disrespectful to the National Anthem. But I'm all for the players doing something to better their communities and lives of others. But this protest crap is so far out of control. This huge debate over standing or kneeling, players Vs teams/the league. They need to take this MASSIVE platform that they currently have focus it back on the original issue. As it stands now, The whole point of the thing is continuously forgotten. Kaepernick's whole ordeal with "being blackballed" and yada yada is annoying, but at least he's put his money where his mouth is.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2416 ... -slain-man

Props to Mike Evans for using his platform to make a difference in someone's life. Not only did he donate $11K, but he brought the issue back to the forefront and thousands of additional dollars have been donated to the family. You can have your opinion on the situation all you want, but Mike put his money where his mouth is. Good for him.
Bucs N Beers

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:For the record, I would never in a million years dream of kneeling or being disrespectful to the National Anthem. But I'm all for the players doing something to better their communities and lives of others. But this protest crap is so far out of control. This huge debate over standing or kneeling, players Vs teams/the league. They need to take this MASSIVE platform that they currently have focus it back on the original issue. As it stands now, The whole point of the thing is continuously forgotten. Kaepernick's whole ordeal with "being blackballed" and yada yada is annoying, but at least he's put his money where his mouth is.

Props to Mike Evans for using his platform to make a difference in someone's life. Not only did he donate $11K, but he brought the issue back to the forefront and thousands of additional dollars have been donated to the family. You can have your opinion on the situation all you want, but Mike put his money where his mouth is. Good for him.

It's not the first time Mike has done it either. Check out his donations on Go Fund Me. https://www.gofundme.com/profile/mike-evans-tp86s
BucaRican

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:

I read about this a while back and was like WTF????? very, very, sad story. a guy in his garage having a few and jamming out get's gunned down and then the insult to injury in court.
Stuart

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:16 am

Hall of Famer Jim Brown says he'd 'never kneel' during anthem, 'will always respect the flag'..

#uncletom
RedLeader

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 am

RedLeader wrote:Hall of Famer Jim Brown says he'd 'never kneel' during anthem, 'will always respect the flag'..

#uncletom

lol, as I know you're joking. stand up thing for him to say. takes guts.
Stuart

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 am

Stuart wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Hall of Famer Jim Brown says he'd 'never kneel' during anthem, 'will always respect the flag'..

#uncletom

I just figured.. since thats the blowback Dak Got from other respected black folk in the community when he said the same thing a couple of weeks ago..
RedLeader

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 am

guess respected would be the key word then. :drinkingcheers:
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 am

RedLeader wrote:
Stuart wrote:

I just figured.. since thats the blowback Dak Got from other respected black folk in the community when he said the same thing a couple of weeks ago..

I'm sure it won't stop the woke-left from attacking Jim Brown. I doubt most of them even know of his civil rights record.
DreadNaught

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:14 am

urban dictionary:

Woke
A state of perceived intellectual superiority one gains by reading The Huffington Post.
Ali is so woke. At brunch she explained how wearing anything other than Chuck Taylor's or Tom's is really a microaggression. Hey did you get your Amy Schumer tickets yet?
#microaggression#99%#mimosas#crossfit#almond milk#adele#yoga#brunch#beard wax
Stuart

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 am

DreadNaught wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

I'm sure it won't stop the woke-left from attacking Jim Brown. I doubt most of them even know of his civil rights record.

Exactly. DL Hughely may have a harder time attacking JB on this one..

But it's Trump that's using sports to divide... :roll:
RedLeader

Postby sanka » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 pm

So much for that....Roger added more gasoline by stepping on people’s rights.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 am

Please die, thread....
deltbucs

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:40 am

since you brought it up

https://www.breitbart.com/big-governmen ... nt-define/

President Donald Trump reacted to NFL players who continued to kneel on the field during the national anthem.
“The NFL players are at it again – taking a knee when they should be standing proudly for the National Anthem,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

A handful of players were spotted kneeling last night or raising their fists in protest in some of the pre-season games.

Trump ridiculed them for protesting the national anthem without even defining their protests.

“Numerous players, from different teams, wanted to show their ‘outrage’ at something that most of them are unable to define,” he wrote.

Trump urged the players to stop protesting and have fun on the field.

“They make a fortune doing what they love. Be happy, be cool!,” he wrote, calling a football game “no place to protest.”

“Most of that money goes to the players anyway. Find another way to protest,” he wrote. “Stand proudly for your National Anthem or be Suspended Without Pay!”

Philadelphia Eagles players Malcolm Jenkins and De’Vante Bausby raised their fists during the anthem as well as San Francisco 49ers player Marquise Goodwin and Miami Dolphins player Robert Quinn.

Miami Dolphins wide receivers Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson knelt during the anthem.

In a statement, the NFL said that they continued to discuss the National Anthem with the players and “issues of equality and social justice.”

“While those discussions continue, the NFL has agreed to delay implementing or enforcing any club work rules that could result in players being disciplined for their conduct during the performance of the anthem,” the statement concluded.
Stuart

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am

Stuart wrote:“Most of that money goes to the players anyway. Find another way to protest,” he wrote.

Definitely not true, but why let facts get in the way?
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 am

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:“Most of that money goes to the players anyway. Find another way to protest,” he wrote.

Definitely not true, but why let facts get in the way?

Yup, Players get still just under half all revenue despite getting 55% of media contracts which is by far the biggest source. So NFL players don't get "most" of the revenue.
DreadNaught

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

so if players get just under 1/2 the revenue the rest would be split by who?

Owners
Stadium
Vendors
NFL

divide the other slices, and wouldn't the players be getting the majority?
Stuart

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am

Stuart wrote:so if players get just under 1/2 the revenue the rest would be split by who?

Owners
Stadium
Vendors
NFL

No
NYBF

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 am

Stuart wrote:so if players get just under 1/2 the revenue the rest would be split by who?

Owners
Stadium
Vendors
NFL

The fact that out of the tweet he sent THIS is what you choose to focus speaks volumes.
Bootz2004

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Owners
Stadium
Vendors
NFL

The fact that out of the tweet he sent THIS is what you choose to focus speaks volumes.

I didn't, I was simply asking NY in reply to his post. I'll be the 1st to say I don't know jack about who get's what amount of the pie.
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 am

Stuart wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I didn't, I was simply asking NY in reply to his post. I'll be the 1st to say I don't know jack about who get's what amount of the pie.

I get what you're saying Stewie. If you're looking it as a 'split' (which is most common) between Players and Owners then the Owners get a just over 50% of the revenue. Out of that the Owners have various expenses but the Packers profited about $200m last season as an example, so it's fair to assume the Glazers (Bucs) got about the same. The players portion of the revenue goes straight into their pockets (after Uncle Sam takes his toll) so I suppose one could parse the argument to say that the players getting "most". But there are close to 2000 players getting some type compensation so I don't know how fair that position is.

I agree that the players are paid well (at least the good ones). But their CBA/revenue sharing with the Owners has zero to do with Trump either way.
DreadNaught

Previous

Return to Team Discussions