Players must stand for anthem

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby MJW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 am

I'm kind of curious what law the Eagles expect the President to write, vote on, and sign, that will stop bad police shootings, honestly.

If the point is "raising awareness" or "advocating," I'm not really sure what the endgame is.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby RobR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am

MJW wrote:I'm kind of curious what law the Eagles expect the President to write, vote on, and sign, that will stop bad police shootings, honestly.

If the point is "raising awareness" or "advocating," I'm not really sure what the endgame is.


I mean I think we overthink this end game sometimes, I see it being as simple as..

Attention on the issue of police shootings results in police thinking twice about pulling the trigger because of the fall-out if they get it wrong.

I feel like the rest of the drama and noise around it is all just about meeting that objective.
Last edited by RobR on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobR
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby NYBF » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:look both sides of this are in the wrong.


:shock:
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 436 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:

A TRUE PATRIOT:

UFC Welterweight Champ Says He’ll Go to the White House Unlike ‘Filthadelphia Eagles’
Stuart
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

Stuart wrote:per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:



I’m sorry but that’s just funny.
User avatar
LoRdNlKoN
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:47 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
Stuart wrote:per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:



I’m sorry but that’s just funny.



yep, he has to be trolling, cant be serious
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 3766
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Clearwater
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

I’m sorry but that’s just funny.



yep, he has to be trolling, cant be serious

I've seen him post that like 5 different times. Trying so hard to get a bite or a laugh.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 4796
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:01 pm

you ever think I friggin hate CNN and their baiting?

breitbart is the only unbiased one left
Stuart
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Stuart wrote:you ever think I friggin hate CNN and their baiting?

breitbart is the only unbiased one left



Okay buddy.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3777
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Trump asked protesting NFL players for pardon recommendations. Here’s how they responded.
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

A group of NFL players requested that President Donald Trump issue a blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders. The request came in response to the president’s suggestion that protesting players recommend those they felt had been treated unfairly by the criminal justice system, The Hill reported.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin, New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson, and Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin co-authored an op-ed in the New York Times, calling nonviolent drug offender incarceration a “systemic problem.”

“President Trump could help,” they wrote. “He could use his powers, including the clemency power, to make a real dent in the federal prison population.”

What are the players’ requests?

Trump asked the players to submit some names to be considered for pardons. The players, however, felt that simply pardoning a few individuals wouldn’t solve the problem.

“But a handful of pardons will not address the sort of systemic injustice that NFL players have been protesting,” the op-ed read. “These are problems that our government has created, many of which occur at the local level. If President Trump thinks he can end these injustices if we deliver him a few names, he hasn’t been listening to us.”

The players commended Trump for pardoning Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug conviction, but asked for a more comprehensive solution. Here’s what they want:

● A blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders who have already served long sentences. “Imagine how many more Alice Johnsons the president could pardon if he treated the issue like the systemic problem it is, rather than asking professional football players for a few cases.”

● The release of any drug offender over the age of 60 whose conviction isn’t recent. “There is also a systemic problem in federal prison involving the elderly, who by next year will make up 28 percent of the federal prison population. Releasing these prisoners would pose little to no risk to society.”

● Eliminate life without parole for nonviolent offenses. “Currently more than half of those sentenced to die in federal prison are there for nonviolent offenses, and 30 percent of people sentenced to life (or de facto life) are there for nonviolent drug crimes.”

This writer’s perspective

This public interaction between the president and NFL players represents the first positive and potentially productive result of the ongoing controversy over player protests.

For the first time, instead of bickering about standing versus kneeling, or who is going to the White House, or finger-pointing about who does or doesn’t love the country, the two sides have the chance to address a real issue.

Trump and the players have finally been able to reach some common ground. Trump has already expressed a desire to reform the prison system to reduce unnecessary incarceration and lower the recidivism rate, and now the players used this opportunity to bring forward a request that could work toward that same goal.

Regardless of how likely or unlikely it is that the president grants such a broad request from the players, if mature heads prevail in this scenario, this could be the starting point of useful collaboration, civil dialogue, and mutual respect between the president and NFL players who are advocating for social justice issues.


I like this idea. Doubt it will happen, but maybe something good will come from this and we will be able to look back one day and say, this is where it started.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 845 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby BucaRican » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Trump asked protesting NFL players for pardon recommendations. Here’s how they responded.
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

A group of NFL players requested that President Donald Trump issue a blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders. The request came in response to the president’s suggestion that protesting players recommend those they felt had been treated unfairly by the criminal justice system, The Hill reported.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin, New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson, and Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin co-authored an op-ed in the New York Times, calling nonviolent drug offender incarceration a “systemic problem.”

“President Trump could help,” they wrote. “He could use his powers, including the clemency power, to make a real dent in the federal prison population.”

What are the players’ requests?

Trump asked the players to submit some names to be considered for pardons. The players, however, felt that simply pardoning a few individuals wouldn’t solve the problem.

“But a handful of pardons will not address the sort of systemic injustice that NFL players have been protesting,” the op-ed read. “These are problems that our government has created, many of which occur at the local level. If President Trump thinks he can end these injustices if we deliver him a few names, he hasn’t been listening to us.”

The players commended Trump for pardoning Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug conviction, but asked for a more comprehensive solution. Here’s what they want:

● A blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders who have already served long sentences. “Imagine how many more Alice Johnsons the president could pardon if he treated the issue like the systemic problem it is, rather than asking professional football players for a few cases.”

● The release of any drug offender over the age of 60 whose conviction isn’t recent. “There is also a systemic problem in federal prison involving the elderly, who by next year will make up 28 percent of the federal prison population. Releasing these prisoners would pose little to no risk to society.”

● Eliminate life without parole for nonviolent offenses. “Currently more than half of those sentenced to die in federal prison are there for nonviolent offenses, and 30 percent of people sentenced to life (or de facto life) are there for nonviolent drug crimes.”

This writer’s perspective

This public interaction between the president and NFL players represents the first positive and potentially productive result of the ongoing controversy over player protests.

For the first time, instead of bickering about standing versus kneeling, or who is going to the White House, or finger-pointing about who does or doesn’t love the country, the two sides have the chance to address a real issue.

Trump and the players have finally been able to reach some common ground. Trump has already expressed a desire to reform the prison system to reduce unnecessary incarceration and lower the recidivism rate, and now the players used this opportunity to bring forward a request that could work toward that same goal.

Regardless of how likely or unlikely it is that the president grants such a broad request from the players, if mature heads prevail in this scenario, this could be the starting point of useful collaboration, civil dialogue, and mutual respect between the president and NFL players who are advocating for social justice issues.


I like this idea. Doubt it will happen, but maybe something good will come from this and we will be able to look back one day and say, this is where it started.


The Protest is working in a way....
Image
BucaRican
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:53 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11718
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 479 times
Been thanked: 502 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.

They should just kill the elderly prisoners.







Am I doing that right, MB?
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 845 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.

They should just kill the elderly prisoners.







Am I doing that right, MB?

You're doing great!
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 12063
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 593 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Trump asked protesting NFL players for pardon recommendations. Here’s how they responded.
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

A group of NFL players requested that President Donald Trump issue a blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders. The request came in response to the president’s suggestion that protesting players recommend those they felt had been treated unfairly by the criminal justice system, The Hill reported.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin, New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson, and Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin co-authored an op-ed in the New York Times, calling nonviolent drug offender incarceration a “systemic problem.”

“President Trump could help,” they wrote. “He could use his powers, including the clemency power, to make a real dent in the federal prison population.”

What are the players’ requests?

Trump asked the players to submit some names to be considered for pardons. The players, however, felt that simply pardoning a few individuals wouldn’t solve the problem.

“But a handful of pardons will not address the sort of systemic injustice that NFL players have been protesting,” the op-ed read. “These are problems that our government has created, many of which occur at the local level. If President Trump thinks he can end these injustices if we deliver him a few names, he hasn’t been listening to us.”

The players commended Trump for pardoning Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug conviction, but asked for a more comprehensive solution. Here’s what they want:

● A blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders who have already served long sentences. “Imagine how many more Alice Johnsons the president could pardon if he treated the issue like the systemic problem it is, rather than asking professional football players for a few cases.”

● The release of any drug offender over the age of 60 whose conviction isn’t recent. “There is also a systemic problem in federal prison involving the elderly, who by next year will make up 28 percent of the federal prison population. Releasing these prisoners would pose little to no risk to society.”

● Eliminate life without parole for nonviolent offenses. “Currently more than half of those sentenced to die in federal prison are there for nonviolent offenses, and 30 percent of people sentenced to life (or de facto life) are there for nonviolent drug crimes.”

This writer’s perspective

This public interaction between the president and NFL players represents the first positive and potentially productive result of the ongoing controversy over player protests.

For the first time, instead of bickering about standing versus kneeling, or who is going to the White House, or finger-pointing about who does or doesn’t love the country, the two sides have the chance to address a real issue.

Trump and the players have finally been able to reach some common ground. Trump has already expressed a desire to reform the prison system to reduce unnecessary incarceration and lower the recidivism rate, and now the players used this opportunity to bring forward a request that could work toward that same goal.

Regardless of how likely or unlikely it is that the president grants such a broad request from the players, if mature heads prevail in this scenario, this could be the starting point of useful collaboration, civil dialogue, and mutual respect between the president and NFL players who are advocating for social justice issues.


I like this idea. Doubt it will happen, but maybe something good will come from this and we will be able to look back one day and say, this is where it started.


This is an entirely reasonable idea, especially for decriminalizing non-violent drug offenses. That is a waste at every level.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Not to say I told you so but .... I told you so.... The players were not going to just stand by for something that was not collectively bargained.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939860/article/nflpa-files-grievance-against-nfls-anthem-policy

The NFL Players Association announced Tuesday it filed a grievance against the league's new national anthem policy.

In its statement, the NFLPA said the NFL agreed to hold discussions in hopes of finding a mutual solution to the issue.

The statement in full reads:

Our union filed its non-injury grievance today on behalf of all players challenging the NFL's recently imposed anthem policy. The union's claim is that this new policy, imposed by the NFL's governing body without consultation with the NFLPA, is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement and infringes on player rights.

In advance of our filing today, we proposed to the NFL to begin confidential discussions with the NFLPA Executive Committee to find a solution to this issue instead of immediately proceeding with litigation. The NFL has agreed to proceed with those discussions and we look forward to starting them soon.

In May, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the league would enact a national anthem policy for 2018 that requires players and league personnel on the sideline to stand but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they don't want to stand. Under the change approved by team owners, individual clubs would have the power to set their own policies to ensure the anthem is being respected during any on-field action.

The change comes after players throughout the league chose not to stand during the anthem prior to the start of games during the 2017 season. The protests, which started in 2016 when Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the anthem to draw awareness to issues of social inequality against minorities, became a central issue for the NFL after President Donald Trump criticized the movement during a speech last September, stating players should be fired for not standing.

Off the field, the league has made a push to address social issues important to players. Working in conjunction with the Players Coalition, the league stepped up its efforts to support players on social issues important to them, dedicating $89 million to efforts combating social inequality.
Image
BucaRican
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:53 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Previous

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mountaineer Buc, real bucs fan, theBKwhopper and 14 guests