Players must stand for anthem

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby MJW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 am

I'm kind of curious what law the Eagles expect the President to write, vote on, and sign, that will stop bad police shootings, honestly.

If the point is "raising awareness" or "advocating," I'm not really sure what the endgame is.
MJW

Postby RobR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am

MJW wrote:I'm kind of curious what law the Eagles expect the President to write, vote on, and sign, that will stop bad police shootings, honestly.

If the point is "raising awareness" or "advocating," I'm not really sure what the endgame is.

I mean I think we overthink this end game sometimes, I see it being as simple as..

Attention on the issue of police shootings results in police thinking twice about pulling the trigger because of the fall-out if they get it wrong.

I feel like the rest of the drama and noise around it is all just about meeting that objective.
Last edited by RobR on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobR

Postby NYBF » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:look both sides of this are in the wrong.

:shock:
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:

A TRUE PATRIOT:

UFC Welterweight Champ Says He’ll Go to the White House Unlike ‘Filthadelphia Eagles’
Stuart

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

Stuart wrote:per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:

I’m sorry but that’s just funny.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
Stuart wrote:per Breitbart, the most trusted name in news:

yep, he has to be trolling, cant be serious
Jason Bourne

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

yep, he has to be trolling, cant be serious

I've seen him post that like 5 different times. Trying so hard to get a bite or a laugh.
deltbucs

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:01 pm

you ever think I friggin hate CNN and their baiting?

breitbart is the only unbiased one left
Stuart

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Stuart wrote:you ever think I friggin hate CNN and their baiting?

breitbart is the only unbiased one left

Okay buddy.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Trump asked protesting NFL players for pardon recommendations. Here’s how they responded.
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

A group of NFL players requested that President Donald Trump issue a blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders. The request came in response to the president’s suggestion that protesting players recommend those they felt had been treated unfairly by the criminal justice system, The Hill reported.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin, New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson, and Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin co-authored an op-ed in the New York Times, calling nonviolent drug offender incarceration a “systemic problem.”

“President Trump could help,” they wrote. “He could use his powers, including the clemency power, to make a real dent in the federal prison population.”

What are the players’ requests?

Trump asked the players to submit some names to be considered for pardons. The players, however, felt that simply pardoning a few individuals wouldn’t solve the problem.

“But a handful of pardons will not address the sort of systemic injustice that NFL players have been protesting,” the op-ed read. “These are problems that our government has created, many of which occur at the local level. If President Trump thinks he can end these injustices if we deliver him a few names, he hasn’t been listening to us.”

The players commended Trump for pardoning Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug conviction, but asked for a more comprehensive solution. Here’s what they want:

● A blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders who have already served long sentences. “Imagine how many more Alice Johnsons the president could pardon if he treated the issue like the systemic problem it is, rather than asking professional football players for a few cases.”

● The release of any drug offender over the age of 60 whose conviction isn’t recent. “There is also a systemic problem in federal prison involving the elderly, who by next year will make up 28 percent of the federal prison population. Releasing these prisoners would pose little to no risk to society.”

● Eliminate life without parole for nonviolent offenses. “Currently more than half of those sentenced to die in federal prison are there for nonviolent offenses, and 30 percent of people sentenced to life (or de facto life) are there for nonviolent drug crimes.”

This writer’s perspective

This public interaction between the president and NFL players represents the first positive and potentially productive result of the ongoing controversy over player protests.

For the first time, instead of bickering about standing versus kneeling, or who is going to the White House, or finger-pointing about who does or doesn’t love the country, the two sides have the chance to address a real issue.

Trump and the players have finally been able to reach some common ground. Trump has already expressed a desire to reform the prison system to reduce unnecessary incarceration and lower the recidivism rate, and now the players used this opportunity to bring forward a request that could work toward that same goal.

Regardless of how likely or unlikely it is that the president grants such a broad request from the players, if mature heads prevail in this scenario, this could be the starting point of useful collaboration, civil dialogue, and mutual respect between the president and NFL players who are advocating for social justice issues.

I like this idea. Doubt it will happen, but maybe something good will come from this and we will be able to look back one day and say, this is where it started.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BucaRican » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Trump asked protesting NFL players for pardon recommendations. Here’s how they responded.
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

A group of NFL players requested that President Donald Trump issue a blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders. The request came in response to the president’s suggestion that protesting players recommend those they felt had been treated unfairly by the criminal justice system, The Hill reported.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, San Francisco 49ers receiver Anquan Boldin, New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson, and Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin co-authored an op-ed in the New York Times, calling nonviolent drug offender incarceration a “systemic problem.”

“President Trump could help,” they wrote. “He could use his powers, including the clemency power, to make a real dent in the federal prison population.”

Trump asked the players to submit some names to be considered for pardons. The players, however, felt that simply pardoning a few individuals wouldn’t solve the problem.

“But a handful of pardons will not address the sort of systemic injustice that NFL players have been protesting,” the op-ed read. “These are problems that our government has created, many of which occur at the local level. If President Trump thinks he can end these injustices if we deliver him a few names, he hasn’t been listening to us.”

The players commended Trump for pardoning Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug conviction, but asked for a more comprehensive solution. Here’s what they want:

● A blanket pardon for nonviolent drug offenders who have already served long sentences. “Imagine how many more Alice Johnsons the president could pardon if he treated the issue like the systemic problem it is, rather than asking professional football players for a few cases.”

● The release of any drug offender over the age of 60 whose conviction isn’t recent. “There is also a systemic problem in federal prison involving the elderly, who by next year will make up 28 percent of the federal prison population. Releasing these prisoners would pose little to no risk to society.”

● Eliminate life without parole for nonviolent offenses. “Currently more than half of those sentenced to die in federal prison are there for nonviolent offenses, and 30 percent of people sentenced to life (or de facto life) are there for nonviolent drug crimes.”

This public interaction between the president and NFL players represents the first positive and potentially productive result of the ongoing controversy over player protests.

For the first time, instead of bickering about standing versus kneeling, or who is going to the White House, or finger-pointing about who does or doesn’t love the country, the two sides have the chance to address a real issue.

Trump and the players have finally been able to reach some common ground. Trump has already expressed a desire to reform the prison system to reduce unnecessary incarceration and lower the recidivism rate, and now the players used this opportunity to bring forward a request that could work toward that same goal.

Regardless of how likely or unlikely it is that the president grants such a broad request from the players, if mature heads prevail in this scenario, this could be the starting point of useful collaboration, civil dialogue, and mutual respect between the president and NFL players who are advocating for social justice issues.

I like this idea. Doubt it will happen, but maybe something good will come from this and we will be able to look back one day and say, this is where it started.

The Protest is working in a way....
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.

They should just kill the elderly prisoners.

Am I doing that right, MB?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I think there is some compromise to be had here. Trump isn't enslaved to he GOP platform that would reject this idea and imo would he'd be willing to make concessions on non-violent offenses to a degree. The players pointed the elderly that are imprisoned and those that have already served a certain portion of their non violent drug offense. I don't think Trump will alienate his base with making concessions here and he'd certainly love the boost in popularity.

They should just kill the elderly prisoners.

Am I doing that right, MB?

You're doing great!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Aaron Colen
STAFF WRITER

This is an entirely reasonable idea, especially for decriminalizing non-violent drug offenses. That is a waste at every level.
Cheb

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Not to say I told you so but .... I told you so.... The players were not going to just stand by for something that was not collectively bargained.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939860/article/nflpa-files-grievance-against-nfls-anthem-policy

The NFL Players Association announced Tuesday it filed a grievance against the league's new national anthem policy.

In its statement, the NFLPA said the NFL agreed to hold discussions in hopes of finding a mutual solution to the issue.

The statement in full reads:

Our union filed its non-injury grievance today on behalf of all players challenging the NFL's recently imposed anthem policy. The union's claim is that this new policy, imposed by the NFL's governing body without consultation with the NFLPA, is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement and infringes on player rights.

In advance of our filing today, we proposed to the NFL to begin confidential discussions with the NFLPA Executive Committee to find a solution to this issue instead of immediately proceeding with litigation. The NFL has agreed to proceed with those discussions and we look forward to starting them soon.

In May, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the league would enact a national anthem policy for 2018 that requires players and league personnel on the sideline to stand but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they don't want to stand. Under the change approved by team owners, individual clubs would have the power to set their own policies to ensure the anthem is being respected during any on-field action.

The change comes after players throughout the league chose not to stand during the anthem prior to the start of games during the 2017 season. The protests, which started in 2016 when Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the anthem to draw awareness to issues of social inequality against minorities, became a central issue for the NFL after President Donald Trump criticized the movement during a speech last September, stating players should be fired for not standing.

Off the field, the league has made a push to address social issues important to players. Working in conjunction with the Players Coalition, the league stepped up its efforts to support players on social issues important to them, dedicating $89 million to efforts combating social inequality.
BucaRican

Postby NYBF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1020047777718554629

@AP

BREAKING: Miami Dolphins to discipline players who protest during national anthem with suspensions, fines or both.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 pm

NYBF wrote:https://twitter.com/AP/status/1020047777718554629

@AP

BREAKING: Miami Dolphins to discipline players who protest during national anthem with suspensions, fines or both.

@JeffDarlington
Sources with Dolphins and NFL say Miami merely submitted annual discipline schedule, as required by league at dates set in conjunction with camp. Dolphins are among first to report for camp. They have not finalized any objective discipline measures for protesting during Anthem.
DreadNaught

Postby sanka » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 am

@AP

Let all the players sit/kneel and give a middle finger to the owner and other bastards that wrote that ****. Without the players you are not ****...let all of them kneel and see how that 4 game suspension we go.
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
sanka

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 am

sanka wrote:

@AP

Let all the players sit/kneel and give a middle finger to the owner and other bastards that wrote that ****. Without the players you are not ****...let all of them kneel and see how that 4 game suspension we go.

That's called a zero sum approach. Actually the Owners would still collect some revenue in that situation.

Not sure if you remember the last NFL work stoppage in the 80's.

Anyways, nobody wants that. But if the players are going to insist on kneeling it will be at their collective financial peril. If kneeling for the anthem is the ONLY way they feel they can protest and it's that important to where they're willing to take the collective earning power of the league down then so be it.
DreadNaught

Postby Stuart » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 am

per breitbart:

The NFL and the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) released a joint statement on Thursday night, vowing to put a hold on the new league rule requiring players on the field to stand for the playing of the national anthem.

The shocking development comes only hours after news leaked that the Miami Dolphins had added a category called “Proper Anthem Conduct,” to their player disciplinary document. The apparent reversal also comes only one week after the NFLPA filed a grievance against the league, in which the union sought a “system arbitration” to prevent the league from giving individual teams from requiring players to stand for the anthem, or disciplining the for refusing to do so.

The statement claims that both the league and the players union are talking and working on a resolution.

According to the joint statement:

The NFL and NFLPA, through recent discussions, have been working on a resolution to the anthem issue. In order to allow this constructive dialogue to continue, we have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA’s grievance and on the NFL’s anthem policy. No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing.

The NFL and NFLPA reflect the great values of America, which are repeatedly demonstrated by the many players doing extraordinary work in communities across our country to promote equality, fairness and justice.

Our shared focus will remain on finding a solution to the anthem issue through mutual, good faith commitments, outside of litigation.

According to the disciplinary measures contained in the leaked report from Miami, Dolphins players could find themselves suspended for as long as four games for disrespecting the anthem. Whether the freeze on the new anthem policy would remove Miami’s ability — or any other team’s ability to discipline their players — remains to be seen. Though, it’s likely the NFL and NFLPA will ensure they reach a joint agreement on a new policy prior to the beginning of the preseason. Making sure that there never comes a time when the league and the teams have different or conflicting policies regarding anthem conduct.

The anthem protest movement in the NFL began in the preseason of 2016, after then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first sat, then knelt during the playing of the national anthem. Despite Kaepernick not having played since the end of the 2016 season, the protest movement he began continued to grow, culminating in Week 3 of the 2017 season when hundreds of players protested the anthem and President Trump.
Stuart

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:18 am

Let's Recap!

Kaepernick: Imma sit because unarmed black people are getting shot!

Veteran: Bad call. I suggest you take a knee.

Kaep: okay, I can still make my point doing it that way.

Players: we're with you, Kaep!

League: Players have the right to do this

Conservative fans: WTF?!?!?

Trump: You guys are ***holes!

Conservative fans: Yeah! You guys are ***holes!

Jerry Jones: I'll join you this one time.

League: uuhhhh.

Fans: Can we just have football?

Kaep: I've been blackballed out of the league!

Pretty much everybody: Dude, you aren't THAT good.

Trump: If you guys stop, I'll pardon someone you like.

Players: Mothafucka, this has nothing to do with you. And we ain't coming to visit you at the White House either!

Conservative fans: Not watching NFL anymore.

Rest of the fans: You're full of **** and you know it.

Conservative fans: No, I'm serious!

Rest of the fans: Bye, Felicia. See you at the stadium.

League: We'd appreciate it if you players would make this go away.

Players: Not happening.

Dolphins: We'll MAKE YOU stop kneeling!

Players: Sure you wanna do that?

To be continued.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am

But what did all ginger haired soccer moms in Wyoming think?

The suspense is killing me!!
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 am

MB - you forgot Papa John.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 am

NYBF wrote:MB - you forgot Papa John.

Dammit!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am

N*****!!!!!?!!
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am

The Outsider wrote:

N*****!!!!!?!!

Banned!!
DreadNaught

Postby Stuart » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 pm

:cussingblack:
Stuart

Postby Bucs N Beers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 pm

For the record, I would never in a million years dream of kneeling or being disrespectful to the National Anthem. But I'm all for the players doing something to better their communities and lives of others. But this protest crap is so far out of control. This huge debate over standing or kneeling, players Vs teams/the league. They need to take this MASSIVE platform that they currently have focus it back on the original issue. As it stands now, The whole point of the thing is continuously forgotten. Kaepernick's whole ordeal with "being blackballed" and yada yada is annoying, but at least he's put his money where his mouth is.
Bucs N Beers

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Wait I thought they originally kneeled protesting moving the extra point back?
IchabodCrane84

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions