Players must stand for anthem

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Players must stand for anthem

Postby Stuart » Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nf ... index.html

NFL players this season must stand during the National Anthem, team owners decided Wednesday in Atlanta, a reaction to fierce backlash against some who took a knee in symbolic opposition to the systemic oppression of people of color, including by police.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a news conference that team owners unanimously agreed that the NFL can fine a team whose players protest on the sidelines during the National Anthem but that each team will set will its own rules regarding players who want to kneel. Players will not be fined individually by the league and will have the option to remain in the locker room while the anthem is played.
Previously, there had been no rule that prevented players from protesting.
"We want people to be respectful to the National Anthem," Goodell said. "We want people to stand, that's all personnel, and make sure that they treat this moment in a respectful fashion that's something I think we owe. We've been very sensitive in making sure that we give players choices, but we do believe that that moment is an important moment and one that we are going to focus on."
The NFL Players Association, which was not included in the talks with owners, said the union will review the new policy "and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement." Owners discussed the topic for two hours on Tuesday and one hour Wednesday, Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said.
"The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL's Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League," the association said in a statement.
The move by owners stems from the silent protests that began in 2016, when then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem to draw attention to injustice.
It also brought the wrath of President Donald Trump, who in 2017 said players' kneeling showed "total disrespect for our great country."
In recent months, the league has worked toward a reported $90 million social justice partnership with the Players Coalition, using the NFL's platform to highlight players' efforts to curb injustice and to use political connections to push for legislative change.
The conversations in Atlanta came as two free-agent players, Kaepernick and Eric Reid, have filed separate grievances against the league, citing collusion in denying them jobs. Kaepernick and Reid both kneeled during the National Anthem when they were 49ers teammates, and Reid continued his protest last season. Kaepernick has been a free agent since March 2017.
Stuart

Re: Players must stand for anthem

Postby Crocaneers » Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 pm

He's getting ahead of the XFL and AAF leagues starting up

He will lose business, and hopes for a damage repair move.
Crocaneers

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 23, 2018 12:39 pm

beardmcdoug

Postby Stuart » Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Crocaneers wrote:He's getting ahead of the XFL and AAF leagues starting up

Not sure people will be so forgiving. The new league will have a very good chance this time around.
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 pm

There is no perfect solution that would appease everyone. This is a reasonable compromise imo. This new policy keeps the focus on the game and the athletes where it should be when fans tune in on gameday.

This policy is more lenient than the NBA policy which requires ALL players to be present and stand for the anthem.

NFL is also investing $90 million into a program that will work with NFL players to promote various social justice initiatives.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Stuart wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:He's getting ahead of the XFL and AAF leagues starting up

Not sure people will be so forgiving. The new league will have a very good chance this time around.

Care to wager?
NYBF

Postby Teitan » Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Image

Lol
Teitan

Postby Buc You » Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote: This new policy keeps the focus on the game and the athletes where it should be when fans tune in on gameday.

First, no it doesn't, the commentators will now start talking about no one is kneeling because of the new rule(Gotta keep the drama and controversy alive).

Second, if they wanted to keep the focus on the game they'd do away with the 20 minutes of military **** sucking they show before they kickoff. No, they don't want to keep the focus on the game, they want to keep the fat pentagon check and the mouth breathing yokels like Stewie to keep screaming 'Murica while chugging $12 Bud Lights.
Buc You

Postby Rocker » Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Show me on the doll where Roger Goodell touched you.
Rocker

Postby Stuart » Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Buc You wrote:
DreadNaught wrote: This new policy keeps the focus on the game and the athletes where it should be when fans tune in on gameday.

First, no it doesn't, the commentators will now start talking about no one is kneeling because of the new rule(Gotta keep the drama and controversy alive).

Second, if they wanted to keep the focus on the game they'd do away with the 20 minutes of military **** sucking they show before they kickoff. No, they don't want to keep the focus on the game, they want to keep the fat pentagon check and the mouth breathing yokels like Stewie to keep screaming 'Murica while chugging $12 Bud Lights.

when yall folks talk bout me and my kin we just smile and wave.............

MAGA
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Buc You wrote:if they wanted to keep the focus on the game they'd do away with the 20 minutes of military **** sucking they show before they kickoff. No, they don't want to keep the focus on the game, they want to keep the fat pentagon check and the mouth breathing yokels like Stewie to keep screaming 'Murica while chugging $12 Bud Lights.

That "fat pentagon check" was $750k, which is less than one-tenth of one percent of the annual revenue of the NFL last season ($15 Billion). The NFL also returned that check last season and has let the DoD know they will continue w/ the anthem and 'display of patriotism' pregame at no charge. But I'm sure that drivel you posted makes sense in your head. After all, only "mouth breathing yokels" in this country would care about displays of patriotism, amirite?

Also, aren't you the person that just gripped about the OT forum being full of monkeys that throw **** at one another? Yet you do exactly that here in TD with an unprovoked remark towards Stuart? Pot meet kettle....
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed May 23, 2018 2:47 pm

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football ... 1.18700702

Story is behind a paywall, so here it is:

Jets chairman Christopher Johnson says he’ll pay anthem-related league fines for his players

Christopher Johnson says his Jets players can take a knee or perform another type of protest without fear of repercussion from the team.

ATLANTA — Despite the NFL’s approval of a revised policy that requires players on the field to stand during the national anthem, Jets chairman Christopher Johnson told Newsday on Wednesday that his players are free to take a knee or perform some other protest without fear of repercussion from the team.

League owners unanimously adopted a policy that allows players who don’t want to participate in the anthem to remain in the locker room. Players who do appear on the field for the anthem must stand; if they don’t, their respective club faces a league-issued fine and teams can levy additional fines.

“I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players. Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

Johnson has been highly critical of the possibility that owners would require players to stand. During the owners meetings in Orlando in March, Johnson told reporters he didn’t feel a change in protocol was necessary. “I know there’s some discussion of keeping players off the field until after the anthem. I think that’s a particularly bad idea . . . I just think that trying to forcibly get the players to shut up is a fantastically bad idea.”

No Jets players took a knee last season. Instead, the players, coaches and Johnson locked arms during the playing of the anthem. Johnson also has worked closely with several Jets players, as well as former linebacker Demario Davis, who now plays with the Saints, to promote social justice and criminal reform issues. He wants that work to continue and will speak with players and coaches in the coming days to make sure the new workplace guidelines don’t interfere with that mission.

“I seriously struggled with this,” he said of the anthem modifications approved by the owners. “You know my position on the anthem, and you have to understand that the plan we ended up with, due to some serious work in the [meeting] room, was vastly less onerous than the one that was presented to me late last week. In the end, I felt I had to support it from a membership standpoint.”

The fact that Johnson will pay any fines out of his own pocket and not sanction any players who may want to demonstrate during the anthem made it more palatable that he join his fellow owners in approving the anthem protocol.

“Even without those fines, this is going to be tough on the players, and I want a chance to speak with the coaches and other players to get feedback on this policy and to build on the good work and momentum that we have built up on these issues of social justice, on legislation, and all the things that we can do,” he said. “I don’t think that this policy will interfere with that at all.

“I have a really good relationship with the players, and I hope we can keep that going and I trust that we will. I’m so proud of our players and their efforts to date. I think that is the most important thing to get across. I could not be more proud of the guys.”
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

I feel a sense of pride when attending school events and they say the pledge of allegiance. I feel a sense of pride when they sing the star spangled banner at a Nascar race........it's called patriotism. :drinkingcheers:
Stuart

Postby sanka » Wed May 23, 2018 3:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:There is no perfect solution that would appease everyone. This is a reasonable compromise imo. This new policy keeps the focus on the game and the athletes where it should be when fans tune in on gameday.

This policy is more lenient than the NBA policy which requires ALL players to be present and stand for the anthem.

NFL is also investing $90 million into a program that will work with NFL players to promote various social justice initiatives.

NBA policy is stand or wait in the locker room until the anthem is over.
Last edited by sanka on Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
sanka

Postby sanka » Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Stuart wrote:I feel a sense of pride when attending school events and they say the pledge of allegiance. I feel a sense of pride when they sing the star spangled banner at a Nascar race........it's called patriotism. :drinkingcheers:

Crop of crap. The bible warns us to not bow or stand for any symbols like Flag or Songs.
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
sanka

Postby Caradoc » Wed May 23, 2018 3:31 pm

NYBF wrote:https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/national-anthem-christopher-johnson-fines-1.18700702

LMAO. The league says "we will fine teams, not individual athletes. " Chairman says "My team will pay fines for any athlete because we respect blah blah blah." I wonder how many idiots out there read this crap and think, gee, what a brave guy!
Caradoc

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 23, 2018 3:33 pm

sanka wrote:
Stuart wrote:I feel a sense of pride when attending school events and they say the pledge of allegiance. I feel a sense of pride when they sing the star spangled banner at a Nascar race........it's called patriotism. :drinkingcheers:

Crop of crap. The bible warns us to not bow or stand for any symbols like Flag or Songs.

what does the bible say about sucking and fondling womens' titties without consent?
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm

sanka wrote:

There is nothing sinful about saying a pledge, as long as the pledge does not take away from our commitment to the Lord Jesus. The Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States certainly does not contain any wording that would usurp the authority of Christ in our lives. The Bible, therefore, does not forbid the pledging of allegiance to our flag.
https://www.gotquestions.org/pledge-of-allegiance.html

Scripture does not openly forbid the use of a flag as a national symbol
https://americanvision.org/13599/the-fl ... us-fallen/

In our age, “nationalism’s chief symbol of faith and central object of worship is the flag,” wrote historian Carlton Hayes. “Men bare their heads when the flag passes by; and in praise of the flag poets write odes and children sing hymns.” Nationalism, he added, also has its “holy days,” such as the Fourth of July in the United States, as well as its “saints and heroes” and its “temples,” or shrines. In a public ceremony in Brazil, the minister general of the army acknowledged: “The flag is venerated and worshiped . . . just as the Fatherland is worshiped.” Yes, “the flag, like the cross, is sacred.”
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008085
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Caradoc » Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Any way you put it this is a bullshit scheme by the NFL where they are trying to have it both ways.

"Yeah, we require people to stand, and if they don't we will levy meaningless fines on ourselves multibillion dollar NFL Franchises. See how much we respect the flag AND free speech".

All it is is status quo with pretend fines.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

The minute you force people to do a symbolic gesture of respect, that gesture loses all meaning.

But people eat this **** up, so let's have at it. Lemme make some popcorn. This should be good.
Cheb

Postby Stuart » Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Cheb wrote:The minute you force people to do a symbolic gesture of respect, that gesture loses all meaning.

But people eat this **** up, so let's have at it. Lemme make some popcorn. This should be good.

not sure I agree with that as we had to say the pledge, and it has huge meaning now even though it didn't then.

there's still no one forcing the players. Like NY just did (and Seattle, San Fran will probably follow), they put the onus on the team to handle it on their own.
Stuart

Postby Super K » Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Regardless of intent or meaning, there are just certain things you do/don't do...

Say Excuse Me when you burp

Be quiet and don't swear when in church

Open the door for people

Shake hands well

Don't make jokes (or act like an ass) at funerals

Standing for the anthem is another one of those things...end of story

So either everyone stand, or stop playing it before the game(s)...
Super K

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Cheb wrote:The minute you force people to do a symbolic gesture of respect, that gesture loses all meaning.

I couldn't agree more. I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If I want to be forced into worshipping a piece of cloth, I'll move to North Korea.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Super K wrote:Regardless of intent or meaning, there are just certain things you do/don't do...

Open the door for people

Shake hands well

Are you going to be there to arrest me if I don't do any of these things? Give me a break.
Miller4Prez64

Postby RedLeader » Wed May 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Super K wrote:Regardless of intent or meaning, there are just certain things you do/don't do...

Open the door for people

Shake hands well

Are you going to be there to arrest me if I don't do any of these things? Give me a break.

Probably not. It certainly is not against the law to be an ass..

Especially in the NFL.
RedLeader

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Open the door for people

Shake hands well

I always find it funny when someone offers an opinion and says end of story, like it changes things.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Wed May 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Open the door for people

Shake hands well

Who said anything about anybody being arrested?

And to your reply to Cheb, how is showing respect "worshipping a piece of clothing"?

Have you never gone to a Church of another denomination?..while you may not believe in the same things, do you not behave respectfully? Or do you sit when everyone else stands in prayer...
Super K

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 pm

RedLeader wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Especially in the NFL.

That's exactly the point, as long as you aren't harming anyone then I don't see how anyone has a right to tell anyone how to act. Now you can act like a jerk at a funeral and you'll probably get your ass kicked so it's not smart but in general I hate unwritten rules people like to hold on to. Especially when it comes to something like standing for the national anthem. A stupid tradition that nobody cared about until someone used it to send a message they didn't like.
Miller4Prez64

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Caradoc wrote:Any way you put it this is a bullshit scheme by the NFL where they are trying to have it both ways.

"Yeah, we require people to stand, and if they don't we will levy meaningless fines on ourselves multibillion dollar NFL Franchises. See how much we respect the flag AND free speech".

All it is is status quo with pretend fines.

The NFL is in the business of making money by providing a platform for football players to compete at the highest level. Compromise was the only solution that made sense.

Some people feel players should be able to hi-jack the platform the NFL provides these players on gamedays so certain individuals can protest things they feel strongly about away from the field. Despite not agreeing, I understand that position.

That said, I have no issue with the team owners making in an effort to mitigate the distraction and polarization these protests caused. Their job is attract fans, not alienate them. There was no solution that was going to appease everyone, so the smart approach was to find some middle ground while doing what you feel is right. The $90m investment in social justice causes should be considered a win imo. But nothing will ever please a radical progressive since any concession that is ever made will just allow them to move the line further in the name of progress.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

Especially in the NFL.

That's exactly the point, as long as you aren't harming anyone then I don't see how anyone has a right to tell anyone how to act. Now you can act like a jerk at a funeral and you'll probably get your ass kicked so it's not smart but in general I hate unwritten rules people like to hold on to. Especially when it comes to something like standing for the national anthem. A stupid tradition that nobody cared about until someone used it to send a message they didn't like.

While I don't agree with Super K that everyone has a universal set of values, morals, or that everyone is even religious (apparently K thinks so). I don't agree with the bold either. A TON of people care about it, which is why the NFL is doing this. They are a business...they ultimately do not care about it, but they care about the money they lost because of protest during the anthem and Caradoc is right, this is mostly BS to show those who are that the NFL is doing something.
uscbucsfan

Next

Return to Team Discussions