Eric Reid

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Would Eric Reid make this team better? Would you sign him?

Yes, he would make this team better.
47%
No, I think we are fine with what we have.
6%
Yes, I would sign him.
19%
No, I would not sign him.
28%

Total votes : 36

Re: Eric Reid

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We did sign Wilcox and Ward last year.

If Whitehead/Igwebuike aren't ready, then I do hope we sign one of these guys. SS is the clear hole on this roster right now, we've got both talent and depth pretty much everywhere else.

People put a lot of stock in Mike Smith saying his safeties are interchangeable, but Wilcox and then Ward were both thumpers who would have been misfits in any other role.

Reid, FWIW, is a better and more versatile safety than either of those guys.

It's not just what Mike Smith is saying, it's evident by who is getting the reps in games. Sure we signed Wilcox (who was traded in the preseason) and signed Ward. If Smith valued the 'thumper' type of SS than wouldn't have Ward seen more action? Instead we got another year of Conte/Tandy for the most part with Ward playing very sparingly.

Also as a Safety, Reid is not versatile. Which is why the 49ers played him at LB at times last season. Reid is good player and what makes him good is his play near the LOS. He's very average (at best) playing single high or deep half/cover 2.

There is a reason we Conte and Tandy have managed to stick around and we drafted a smallish Safety like Whitehead.

If people think we're bringing in a traditional thumper type of SS (box Safety) then they aren't paying attention.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am

Hatter wrote:And this is why I prefer to talk football and keep politics out of it..

Didn’t you bring it up?
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:
People put a lot of stock in Mike Smith saying his safeties are interchangeable, but Wilcox and then Ward were both thumpers who would have been misfits in any other role.

Reid, FWIW, is a better and more versatile safety than either of those guys.

It's not just what Mike Smith is saying, it's evident by who is getting the reps in games. Sure we signed Wilcox (who was traded in the preseason) and signed Ward. If Smith valued the 'thumper' type of SS than wouldn't have Ward seen more action? Instead we got another year of Conte/Tandy for the most part with Ward playing very sparingly.

Also as a Safety, Reid is not versatile. Which is why the 49ers played him at LB at times last season. Reid is good player and what makes him good is his play near the LOS. He's very average (at best) playing single high or deep half/cover 2.

There is a reason we Conte and Tandy have managed to stick around and we drafted a smallish Safety like Whitehead.

If people think we're bringing in a traditional thumper type of SS (box Safety) then they aren't paying attention.

I saw more out of Reid than just that. I think he's athletic enough to play as the single high. Like I said, I don't expect any external moves at safety at this point. I expect the 5 guys we've been talking about to fight it out for reps and possibly a roster spot.

BTW, it's worth noting here, again, that Mike Smith HAS used box safeties during his entire career. When he was DC of the Jaguars, Donovin Darius played very well doing those things. He drafted William Moore in the 2nd round to do those things in Atlanta. If this is what he's doing here, mazel tov. But he's certainly made good use of box safeties before.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Mon May 21, 2018 8:22 am

And there's always second FA. Maybe we'll find another Ward, yay.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 am

Doctor wrote:And there's always second FA. Maybe we'll find another Ward, yay.

The deadline has recently passed where adding free agents count towards that teams 'compensatory pick' formula, so we'll start some FA start to sign as we get closer to late July when TC starts.

That said, if the team likes what they see in Whitehead (and possibly MJ Stewart) I don't think the Bucs will be signing a Safety. If they did, I'd prefer Vacarro of the ones available since he offers the most versatility.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 am

One flaw with this FO, imo, is that they sometimes have too much faith in their players. Too much faith in the "current cast". With that, the improvement on the DL should really make everyone worlds better. Even a guy like Conte- who I get why people **** on him, but has single-handedly won us games.
Doctor

Postby acmillis » Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 am

Doctor wrote:One flaw with this FO, imo, is that they sometimes have too much faith in their players. Too much faith in the "current cast". With that, the improvement on the DL should really make everyone worlds better. Even a guy like Conte- who I get why people **** on him, but has single-handedly LOST us games.

FIFY
acmillis

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Doctor wrote: Even a guy like Conte- who I get why people **** on him, but has single-handedly won us games.

Can you show us said games?
NYBF

Postby Swashy » Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 pm

NYBF wrote:
Doctor wrote: Even a guy like Conte- who I get why people **** on him, but has single-handedly won us games.

I think it was the Chiefs or Seahawks game where he made 2 big plays.
Swashy

Postby real bucs fan » Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Assuming we don't sign anyone, the SS battle is what I'm looking forward most to tracking. Conte, Whitehead, and Igwebuike. Really hope we see the latter two surprise and earn their spots on not only the 53 but for one of them to emerge as a starter as well.
real bucs fan

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Tue May 22, 2018 11:03 pm

NYBF wrote:

Chiefs game in 2016. But that is the only one I can think of.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't see how you can claim Chris Conte single handily won us that game against Kansas City in 2016....
Miller4Prez64

Postby Heidguy » Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Didn't he get a game ending int against the bears like his 1st yr with us. Something like that, certainly nothing to write home about, he's made maybe 1 big play per season. However the other memorable plays from him are all terrible!
Heidguy

Postby NYBF » Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Heidguy wrote:Didn't he get a game ending int against the bears like his 1st yr with us. Something like that, certainly nothing to write home about, he's made maybe 1 big play per season. However the other memorable plays from him are all terrible!

A game ending INT is nowhere close to "single handedly winning games."
NYBF

Postby StillCSG » Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am

Buc2 wrote:

Damn I miss Slim :(
StillCSG

Previous

Return to Team Discussions