Eric Reid

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Would Eric Reid make this team better? Would you sign him?

Yes, he would make this team better.
47%
No, I think we are fine with what we have.
6%
Yes, I would sign him.
19%
No, I would not sign him.
28%

Total votes : 36

Eric Reid

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 am

I can't sleep, and I'm curious how everyone here feels. I've said all along that we should sign him, because I feel that he would make the team better. Almost a month removed from the draft, and I still feel that way.

I asked two questions and set the poll so you can answer both.
Deja Entendu

Re: Eric Reid

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 am

We don’t have the cap space, but yes he would make us better
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 am

If we were going to sign him, we would have by now. Same with Kenny Vaccaro.
terrytate

Postby Ken Carson » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 am

He would make the team, but I wouldn’t sign him for more than the vet minimum. We don’t have the cap space to sign him without cutting someone, unless it’s for really cheap.
Ken Carson

Postby Hit55 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am

PrimeMinister wrote:We don’t have the cap space, but yes he would make us better

I mean...Conte is making $2.75 million and Sweezy is still on the team. It can happen.

What am I saying? The Bucs will never cut Conte.
Hit55

Postby MJW » Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 am

I'd be fine with it. He's a good player. This organization seems to be Rhianna to Conte's Chris Brown, though.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am

Conte is 29 and in the last year of his deal. How much you wanna bet he retires at the end of the season and thus deny his haters the opportunity to revel in his being cut?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 am

MJW wrote:I'd be fine with it. He's a good player. This organization seems to be Rhianna to Conte's Chris Brown, though.

I'm so happy that I never felt the need to speak hollywood. Teams arent jumping up and down to make him a real high paid safety.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Conte is 29 and in the last year of his deal. How much you wanna bet he retires at the end of the season and thus deny his haters the opportunity to revel in his being cut?

As Bootz would say. Casuals dont understand that he was the chosen failsafe in our weakazz defense.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am

Reid is good player. But I just don't know how well of a fit he is for this Bucs defense. Mike Smith wants his Safeties to be basically interchangeable in their skill sets, which means we basically he want two Free Safeties instead of a traditional Strong Safety. Eric Reid is a SS, the 49ers even put him at LB some last season ala Deone Buchanan for the Cards.

There is also the financial implications of the Bucs cap space, but we could make that work.

I don't think the Bucs are going to add a Safety, but if they were to I'd rather have Vacarro b/c he's more of a versatile Safety than Reid and thus a better scheme fit for what the Bucs want in a Safety.
DreadNaught

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Conte is 29 and in the last year of his deal. How much you wanna bet he retires at the end of the season and thus deny his haters the opportunity to revel in his being cut?

Bet he gets in the Ring of Honor before Ronde.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Bet he gets in the Ring of Honor before Ronde.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Reid is undoubtedly more talented on the football field than any strong safety on the roster, so obviously he would be an upgrade.

However, the Bucs are right up against the cap ceiling last I checked, so we couldn't afford him. And from what I've seen, Mike Smith either is unwilling to utilize or does not prefer traditional strong safety types, so he likely wouldn't be a worthwhile signing. Eric Reid would be TJ Ward all over again but with more political polarization.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Cheb wrote:Reid is undoubtedly more talented on the football field than any strong safety on the roster, so obviously he would be an upgrade.

However, the Bucs are right up against the cap ceiling last I checked, so we couldn't afford him. And from what I've seen, Mike Smith either is unwilling to utilize or does not prefer traditional strong safety types, so he likely wouldn't be a worthwhile signing. Eric Reid would be TJ Ward all over again but with more political polarization.

We did sign Wilcox and Ward last year.

If Whitehead/Igwebuike aren't ready, then I do hope we sign one of these guys. SS is the clear hole on this roster right now, we've got both talent and depth pretty much everywhere else.
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 pm

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four- ... fc-south-0

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Biggest Need: Safety

The problems in the Buccaneers secondary last season were so deep and widespread that it would be grossly optimistic to expect them to be solved with a single draft, absent a game-changing talent at cornerback. The Buccaneers spread several Day 2 and Day 3 picks across both cornerback and safety, hoping that enough slightly upgraded parts will combine to make a substantially better whole. Safety is still the weakest of those positions: Keith Tandy and Chris Conte will probably open the season as the second and third safeties on the team, with draftee Jordan Whitehead easing into the rotation unless he excels quickly. Last season's safety draftee, Justin Evans, was in the starting lineup by Week 5 and started 11 straight games; the weaknesses of the veteran incumbents give Whitehead every opportunity to follow in those footsteps.

Notable Undrafted Free Agents: If the Buccaneers were to finally move on from Conte and/or Tandy this season, strong safety Godwin Igwebuike (Northwestern) would likely be a big part of the reason why. A powerful downhill run-stuffer with the ability to operate effectively in man coverage, Ogwebuike is widely considered one of the steals of this year's undrafted class. He has a real chance to not only make the roster but earn significant playing time on defense. The rest of the class has very little promise: the team signed three tight ends and three defensive linemen, but those are the two deepest positions on the roster. Quarterback Austin Allen (Arkansas) is unlikely to last much beyond training camp; neither is kicker Trevor Moore (North Texas). Receiver Sergio Bailey (Eastern Michigan) and halfback Shaun Wilson (Duke) may compete for kick return duties, but they will need to supplement that with value elsewhere to earn a spot on the final roster.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Football Outsiders has been paying attention.
real bucs fan

Postby Hatter » Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 am

I like the pieces we've added and don't want Reid polluting their young minds with his personal politics (whether you share his views or not)
Hatter

Postby MJW » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:Reid is undoubtedly more talented on the football field than any strong safety on the roster, so obviously he would be an upgrade.

We did sign Wilcox and Ward last year.

If Whitehead/Igwebuike aren't ready, then I do hope we sign one of these guys. SS is the clear hole on this roster right now, we've got both talent and depth pretty much everywhere else.

People put a lot of stock in Mike Smith saying his safeties are interchangeable, but Wilcox and then Ward were both thumpers who would have been misfits in any other role.

Reid, FWIW, is a better and more versatile safety than either of those guys. I have no interest in discussing his politics.
MJW

Postby MJW » Thu May 17, 2018 6:19 am

Caradoc wrote:https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2018/four-downs-nfc-south-0

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The problems in the Buccaneers secondary last season were so deep and widespread that it would be grossly optimistic to expect them to be solved with a single draft, absent a game-changing talent at cornerback. The Buccaneers spread several Day 2 and Day 3 picks across both cornerback and safety, hoping that enough slightly upgraded parts will combine to make a substantially better whole. Safety is still the weakest of those positions: Keith Tandy and Chris Conte will probably open the season as the second and third safeties on the team, with draftee Jordan Whitehead easing into the rotation unless he excels quickly. Last season's safety draftee, Justin Evans, was in the starting lineup by Week 5 and started 11 straight games; the weaknesses of the veteran incumbents give Whitehead every opportunity to follow in those footsteps.

Notable Undrafted Free Agents: If the Buccaneers were to finally move on from Conte and/or Tandy this season, strong safety Godwin Igwebuike (Northwestern) would likely be a big part of the reason why. A powerful downhill run-stuffer with the ability to operate effectively in man coverage, Ogwebuike is widely considered one of the steals of this year's undrafted class. He has a real chance to not only make the roster but earn significant playing time on defense. The rest of the class has very little promise: the team signed three tight ends and three defensive linemen, but those are the two deepest positions on the roster. Quarterback Austin Allen (Arkansas) is unlikely to last much beyond training camp; neither is kicker Trevor Moore (North Texas). Receiver Sergio Bailey (Eastern Michigan) and halfback Shaun Wilson (Duke) may compete for kick return duties, but they will need to supplement that with value elsewhere to earn a spot on the final roster.

Can't argue with any of that.

Igwebuike is one of the most intriguing guys in camp. We don't have anybody like him on the roster right now. Physically he's almost a TJ Ward clone and his game isn't dissimilar. He could possibly bump Conte or Tandy off the roster.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 am

MJW wrote:
Caradoc wrote:https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2018/four-downs-nfc-south-0

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Igwebuike is one of the most intriguing guys in camp. We don't have anybody like him on the roster right now. Physically he's almost a TJ Ward clone and his game isn't dissimilar. He could possibly bump Conte or Tandy off the roster.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We did sign Wilcox and Ward last year.

People put a lot of stock in Mike Smith saying his safeties are interchangeable, but Wilcox and then Ward were both thumpers who would have been misfits in any other role.

Reid, FWIW, is a better and more versatile safety than either of those guys. I have no interest in discussing his politics.

Neither of those guys worked out here. I'm betting we see Stewart and others take snaps beside Evans. I don't think the coaching staff is as desperate as the fan base is, plus the cap.

It's not likely we sign Reid.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Neither of those guys worked out here. I'm betting we see Stewart and others take snaps beside Evans. I don't think the coaching staff is as desperate as the fan base is, plus the cap.

It's not likely we sign Reid.

No, I'm not expecting us to import a safety at this point. I do think there's a chance we could pull a "TJ Ward" on a corner if one we liked enough shook free. I could even see a trade. There are zero guarantees we're going to be better at corner in 2018 because of rookies, or VHIII improving, and Brent Grimes is old. At this point the most likely reason we're losing games is our cornerback play. We lose games, and this OBP is getting fired. I think they'll keep open minds.

The most likely cause of a shakeup at safety will be Whitehead or Igwebuike crashing the party in camp and winning major snaps.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We did sign Wilcox and Ward last year.

Whether you have an interest or not, he's going to rub those politics in your face. And everyone else's, too
Caradoc

Postby NYBF » Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am

Hatter wrote:I like the pieces we've added and don't want Reid polluting their young minds with his personal politics (whether you share his views or not)

What about other players who have personal politics? Or do you really think him and Kap are the only two people in the NFL that believe in anything?
NYBF

Postby Hatter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am

NYBF wrote:
Hatter wrote:I like the pieces we've added and don't want Reid polluting their young minds with his personal politics (whether you share his views or not)

What about other players who have personal politics? Or do you really think him and Kap are the only two people in the NFL that believe in anything?

Host an event, use your platform to bring light to the issues you're passionate about, they deserve to be discussed and fixed...AFTER the game and you are "Off the clock"
When its game time, its time to go to work, not protest when you are on the field.
Don't want it here no matter the cause or the player. Do it after hours is my point.
Hatter

Postby NYBF » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

Hatter wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Host an event, use your platform to bring light to the issues you're passionate about, they deserve to be discussed and fixed...AFTER the game and you are "Off the clock"
When its game time, its time to go to work, not protest when you are on the field.
Don't want it here no matter the cause or the player. Do it after hours is my point.

Ignoring the fact that you didn't answer my question, I must have missed what he's done during games. Can you show me what Reid has done "when it's game time"?
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 am

I wonder how many in the overlap between "yes he'd make this team better" and "no I would not sign him" are Warren Sapp fans...
NYBF

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 am

Hatter wrote:
NYBF wrote:

He’s already said he won’t kneel again, but that’s not good enough for the pinhead patriots around this country I guess.
Miller4Prez64

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 am

MJW wrote:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Definitely agree about Igwebuike. I had him in the 3rd round or so, had him higher than Whitehead. Interesting that Jon Hoke mentioned him by name as a guy who stood out at rookie camp despite him being a UDFA and being a safety (Hoke is more of the CB guy). I think in a best case scenario we have Igwebuike and Whitehead both show and prove and compete with each other and both making the roster.
real bucs fan

Postby Hatter » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

And this is why I prefer to talk football and keep politics out of it..
Hatter

Next

Return to Team Discussions