NFL to review Matt Patricia's 1996 sex assault charge

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
NFL to review Matt Patricia's 1996 sex assault charge

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 pm

NFL Will Review Matt Patricia's 1996 Sexual Assault Indictment with Lions

The NFL said Thursday that it will review a 1996 sexual assault allegation against Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia.

In a statement, an NFL spokesman told CNN's Jill Martin: "We will review the matter with the club to understand the allegations and what the club has learned."

Robert Snell of the Detroit News wrote an article Wednesday regarding a 1996 sexual assault allegation that Patricia was indicted on. The former New England Patriots defensive coordinator was never tried.

Snell reported that Patricia and his friend, Greg Dietrich, were indicted on one count of aggravated sexual assault in relation to allegations stemming from an encounter during spring break in South Padre Island, Texas. Patricia was a student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at the time.

The accuser decided against testifying, which resulted in the case never going to trial.

On Wednesday, Patricia said the following regarding the allegation, per ESPN.com's Michael Rothstein:

"As someone who was falsely accused of this very serious charge over 22 years ago, and never given the opportunity to defend myself and clear my name, I find it incredibly unfair, disappointing, and frustrating that this story would resurface now with the only purpose being to damage my character and reputation. I firmly maintain my innocence, as I have always done. I would never condone any of the behavior that was alleged and will always respect and protect the rights of anyone who has been harassed or is the victim of violence.

"My priorities remain the same—to move forward and strive to be the best coach, teacher, and man that I can possibly be."

Team president Rod Wood and general manager Bob Quinn said they weren't aware of the allegation when they hired Patricia, but they released a statement in support of their coach.

Also, Wood told Snell, "I am very comfortable with the process of interviewing and employing Matt. I will tell you with 1,000 percent certainty that everything I've learned confirmed what I already knew about the man and would have no way changed our decision to make him our head coach."

Patricia served as an assistant coach with the Patriots from 2004 until last season, ascending to defensive coordinator in 2012. He won three Super Bowls during his time in New England.

Detroit hired Patricia after parting ways with Jim Caldwell on the heels of a 9-7 season in 2017.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: NFL to review Matt Patricia's 1996 sex assault charge

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I have a buddy who's a Lions fan who's always talking crap about Winston's misconduct allegations, this is some damn fine retaliatory ammo lol
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I have a buddy who's a Lions fan who's always talking crap about Winston's misconduct allegations, this is some damn fine retaliatory ammo lol

What did he say about this?
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Matt Patricia graped a woman?

Oh wait, that's the other thread.
NYBF

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I have a buddy who's a Lions fan who's always talking crap about Winston's misconduct allegations, this is some damn fine retaliatory ammo lol

I texted him, no response lol
real bucs fan

Postby acmillis » Thu May 10, 2018 3:25 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I texted him, no response lol

Tell him that Patricia was probably just trying to feed her a W.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 pm

NYBF wrote:Matt Patricia graped a woman?

This allegation and thread are serious. Please do not cumin here with your silly puns.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't see what the big deal is? The accuser REQUESTED the case be dropped after making the allegation and before any determination could be made of guilt or innocence.

What is the evidence? Are there any witnesses?

To my knowledge this ALL stems from an allegation made 22yrs ago. Do we not have the presumption of innocence in this country anymore?

I feel this is pretty irresponsible reporting by whoever broke this "story". Without anything more to corroborate this "story" the reporter should've kept working on gathering additional details b/c this just a smear job right now.

Shame on the Detroit Free Press for running with this.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Deuce wrote:
NYBF wrote:Matt Patricia graped a woman?

This allegation and thread are serious. Please do not cumin here with your silly puns.

Orange you the witty lil' tater today
Caradoc

Postby sanka » Thu May 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Another bullshit...Seriously Dread when it comes to harassment against women, you should withdraw yourself from the discussion. We have a predator as President ...whom you call uncle Spanky.
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
sanka

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I don't see what the big deal is? The accuser REQUESTED the case be dropped after making the allegation and before any determination could be made of guilt or innocence.

To my knowledge this ALL stems from an allegation made 22yrs ago. Do we not have the presumption of innocence in this country anymore?

I feel this is pretty irresponsible reporting by whoever broke this "story". Without anything more to corroborate this "story" the reporter should've kept working on gathering additional details b/c this just a smear job right now.

All of this.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:27 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I don't see what the big deal is? The accuser REQUESTED the case be dropped after making the allegation and before any determination could be made of guilt or innocence.

Olive this.

fixed.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 10, 2018 6:29 pm

sanka wrote:Another bullshit...Seriously Dread when it comes to harassment against women, you should withdraw yourself from the discussion. We have a predator as President ...whom you call uncle Spanky.

Thanks sanka, you're certainly the moral authority on permisible behavior towards women.

sanka wrote:Nothing wrong with what he did...Women love their titties to be sucked and fondled....even without their consent. Especially during events like this ala Madi gras/Parties....without a drink a woman's ***** is usually dry like the Sahara desert ...but after a drink or two the juices starts flowing and you can see the girl wasn't mad about the issue afterwards.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm

And now that sanka has been thoroughly roasted, lettuce get back to the matter at hand. Stop peppering this discussion with political tripe.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 10, 2018 6:51 pm

So, while sanka is an idiot, is this really a thing we're (as a society) doing now? For fucks sake this allegedly happened 22 years ago, the victim never showed for trial and didn't pursue anything further, and further more there are no other indications that this is a type of serial behavior the guy engages in if he ever engaged in it in the first place.

I hate to be that guy but this #metoo **** is getting out of hand.
The Outsider

Postby Onthebrink » Thu May 10, 2018 7:11 pm

24 hour news cycle. The plebs will forget about this in a day or two. Have to make up news when you don't have any.
#Igropedhertoo
Onthebrink

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:13 pm

The Outsider wrote:So, while sanka is an idiot, is this really a thing we're (as a society) doing now? For fucks sake this allegedly happened 22 years ago, the victim never showed for trial and didn't pursue anything further, and further more there are no other indications that this is a type of serial behavior the guy engages in if he ever engaged in it in the first place.

IchabodCrane84

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:So, while sanka is an idiot, is this really a thing we're (as a society) doing now? For fucks sake this allegedly happened 22 years ago, the victim never showed for trial and didn't pursue anything further, and further more there are no other indications that this is a type of serial behavior the guy engages in if he ever engaged in it in the first place.

Thank you. You are the real slim shady.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 pm

#HateSpeech
Teitan

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Teitan wrote:

#HateSpeech

I, too, like to pound hate speech.
The Outsider

Postby BUCCABEER » Thu May 10, 2018 8:41 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

This officially replaces the cat jumping off the ledge as the funniest thing I've read on this site.
BUCCABEER

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Just to play devils advocate here, but there's a reason why rape victims elect to not go to trial, and that is because cases of this nature are essentially he said/she said, and they'd rather not go through hell with a lawyer attacking every aspect of their moral fibre when they are already recovering from a severe trauma... and the fact it happened 22 years ago, doesn't matter. If he raped the woman, he's a piece of ****. And I could certainly understand a woman who was raped being bitter enough when seeing that the guy who raped her is now the HC of a NFL franchise that they decide, "know what? **** it, I'm going to air him out".
real bucs fan

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Just to play devils advocate here, but there's a reason why rape victims elect to not go to trial, and that is because cases of this nature are essentially he said/she said, and they'd rather not go through hell with a lawyer attacking every aspect of their moral fibre when they are already recovering from a severe trauma... and the fact it happened 22 years ago, doesn't matter. If he raped the woman, he's a piece of ****. And I could certainly understand a woman who was raped being bitter enough when seeing that the guy who raped her is now the HC of a NFL franchise that they decide, "know what? **** it, I'm going to air him out".

That's fine. I don't disagree with that. But do we judge a man who has otherwise, to the best of public knowledge had no other issues regarding women? And the one he did have may or may not have happened. Is that enough to hold someone back from rising to the peak of their profession? I don't think so.
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 pm

The Outsider wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Just to play devils advocate here, but there's a reason why rape victims elect to not go to trial, and that is because cases of this nature are essentially he said/she said, and they'd rather not go through hell with a lawyer attacking every aspect of their moral fibre when they are already recovering from a severe trauma... and the fact it happened 22 years ago, doesn't matter. If he raped the woman, he's a piece of ****. And I could certainly understand a woman who was raped being bitter enough when seeing that the guy who raped her is now the HC of a NFL franchise that they decide, "know what? **** it, I'm going to air him out".

That's fine. I don't disagree with that. But do we judge a man who has otherwise, to the best of public knowledge had no other issues regarding women? And the one he did have may or may not have happened. Is that enough to hold someone back from rising to the peak of their profession? I don't think so.

No doubt. As always with these types of cases, all I'm hoping for is that the truth comes out definitively one way or the other and he's either held accountable or completely exonerated.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

No doubt. As always with these types of cases, all I'm hoping for is that the truth comes out definitively one way or the other and he's either held accountable or completely exonerated.

The problem is definitive conclusions rarely happen and the current political climate assumes guilty unless proven innocent. Matt Patricia may have never done anything wrong, but “possible sexual predator” will hang over his head unless he has definitive proof from 22 years ago.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:No doubt. As always with these types of cases, all I'm hoping for is that the truth comes out definitively one way or the other and he's either held accountable or completely exonerated.

The problem is definitive conclusions rarely happen and the current political climate assumes guilty unless proven innocent. Matt Patricia may have never done anything wrong, but “possible sexual predator” will hang over his head unless he has definitive proof from 22 years ago.

Last I checked Patricia hasn't been fired and he just as well could be guilty, so...

But I agree having this hang over you if you were innocent would be terrible.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 am

The Outsider wrote:

PERFECTLY said....

This is some horseshit...
Super K

Postby NYBF » Fri May 11, 2018 8:49 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

I don't think that's true at all, but if it is, it would be an improvement over the "**** him he's guilty regardless of the outcome of the trial" views that have been held nationally in the past.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I don't think that's true at all, but if it is, it would be an improvement over the "**** him he's guilty regardless of the outcome of the trial" views that have been held nationally in the past.

Is this your way of saying you side with OJ?
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Is this your way of saying you side with OJ?

Who did OJ rape?
NYBF

Next

Return to Team Discussions