Buccaneers Road to the Final 53 Thread, 2018 Edition

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Buccaneers Road to the Final 53 Thread, 2018 Edition

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Now with the draft and the majority of FA over, we have a pretty good idea of what our 53 is going to look like. Consider this thread as a place for roster discussion.

QB: Winston, Fitzpatrick, Griffen
RB: Jones, Barber, Sims, Rodgers
WR: Evans, Jackson, Humpries, Godwin, Watson, Wilson
TE: Brate, Howard, Auclair, Cross
OT: Smith, Dotson, Benenoch
OG: Marpet, Sweezy, Cappa
C: Jensen, Smith

DE: Pierre-Paul, Curry, Gholston, Spence
DT: McCoy, Vea, Allen, Unrein
LB: David, Alexander, Beckwith, Taylor, Bond, Lynch
CB: Grimes, Hargreaves, Stewart, Davis, Smith, Robinson
S: Evans, Whitehead, Conte, Tandy, Igwebuike

LS: Drew Farris
K: Catanzaro
P: Anger
real bucs fan

Re: Buccaneers Road to the Final 53 Thread, 2018 Edition

Postby sanka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 pm

How Conte is still on the team baffles me.
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
sanka

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm

sanka wrote:How Conte is still on the team baffles me.

If he gets beat out by one of the young guns I think he's gonzo
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:56 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Now with the draft and the majority of FA over, we have a pretty good idea of what our 53 is going to look like. Consider this thread as a place for roster discussion.

Sounds about right. I wouldn't totally bet on Bobo beating out Martino. It is certainly possible he can. Bobo had some flash, but Martino seemed more reliable. Just an impression. I also wouldn't count out Cichy for a LB spot if he doesn't stub his toe on the way in the door.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
sanka wrote:How Conte is still on the team baffles me.

If he gets beat out by one of the young guns I think he's gonzo

And if he's cut, the team saves $2.75 million. When the cap is getting tight like it is now, that savings isn't insubstantial.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Caradoc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Now with the draft and the majority of FA over, we have a pretty good idea of what our 53 is going to look like. Consider this thread as a place for roster discussion.

Sounds about right. I wouldn't totally bet on Bobo beating out Martino. It is certainly possible he can. Bobo had some flash, but Martino seemed more reliable. Just an impression. I also wouldn't count out Cichy for a LB spot if he doesn't stub his toe on the way in the door.

I sense we try and stash Cichy on IR for the year- with the idea to have him for cheap depth next year when the cap is tight.
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:01 pm

I don't think he is going to get beat out in camp. Remember, Evans rode the pine until he got to fill in for an injury, and it was almost immediately clear he was an upgrade. I'm not sure any of these young'uns will be ahead of him on day one (even if they should be). But his time is definitely coming to a blessed end.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 am

Conte gets justifiable criticism, but he's no Sabby Piscatelli.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am

I think Bobo gets cut. He's not nearly good enough to keep his loser mentality in the locker room.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Conte gets justifiable criticism, but he's no Sabby Piscatelli.

I agree here. At least he makes plays from time to time to counter the ones he gives up. Guys like VH3 and the hot mess we've had at DE don't do anything productive.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 am

We should cut Griffen or Fitz and add another DE, OL, CB or RB...

An adequate vet who has been cut himself...(except at RB...more fresh legs please)...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:55 am

On paper this roster is worlds better than last year. It looks like a solid NFL roster now.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:58 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

On paper this roster is worlds better than last year. It looks like a solid NFL roster now.

The biggest issue right now I would say is SS by a fair bit. Hopefully Whitehead or Igwebuike emerge, but looking back on the draft, would still rather James at 12 but am content with Vea.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am

real bucs fan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

The biggest issue right now I would say is SS by a fair bit. Hopefully Whitehead or Igwebuike emerge, but looking back on the draft, would still rather James at 12 but am content with Vea.

Looking back at the draft and how we went DB in the 2nd I prefer Vea over James. It’s harder to find DL help than it is Safety imo. We have to expect some injuries to the DL this year (fingers crossed though) so having an 8 man rotation puts us in position to rush the passer every week. Vea will collapse the pocket and eat blockers freeing up Kwon/David to stop the run or occasionally blitz clean.

Short answer: I would rather have a hole at Safety rather than DL/DT. We were very thin behind McCoy & Allen. Vea wasn’t a luxury pick. He was needed to solidify something we aren’t familiar with here in Tampa: a DL rotation.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:10 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The biggest issue right now I would say is SS by a fair bit. Hopefully Whitehead or Igwebuike emerge, but looking back on the draft, would still rather James at 12 but am content with Vea.

Looking back at the draft and how we went DB in the 2nd I prefer Vea over James. It’s harder to find DL a help than it is Safety imo. We have to expect some injuries to the DL this year (fingers crossed though) so having an 8 man rotation puts us in position to rush the passer every week. Vea will collapse the pocket and eat blockers freeing up Kwon/David to stop the run or occasionally blitz clean.

Short answer: I would rather have a hole at Safety rather than DL/DT. We were very thin behind McCoy & Allen. Vea wasn’t a luxury pick. He was needed to solidify something we aren’t familiar with here in Tampa: a DL rotation.

Absolutely right. DB was a lot deeper than I thought it was.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:18 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Looking back at the draft and how we went DB in the 2nd I prefer Vea over James. It’s harder to find DL a help than it is Safety imo. We have to expect some injuries to the DL this year (fingers crossed though) so having an 8 man rotation puts us in position to rush the passer every week. Vea will collapse the pocket and eat blockers freeing up Kwon/David to stop the run or occasionally blitz clean.

Same here. I didn’t think we would get a long corner in the 2nd. The more I look at those two the more I really like them. Also that safety we picked up will make the team. Hell this UDFA Igwebuike looks like a good pickup but we will see when the pads are on. This class looks like it was FAR deeper at DB than any DL position.
PrimeMinister

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 am

real bucs fan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I'm not too worried about the secondary depth, honestly. Grimes is the undisputed CB1, or left corner in this system. Davis, VH3, and Stewart are all going to fight for the CB2 and nickle spots. The ultimate loser of that competition is our fourth corner, which would make him maybe the best fourth corner in the league.

It's a four man race at strong safety. Conte vs Whitehead vs Tandy vs Igwebuike. Maybe add Stewart as well to make it a five man competition. May the best man win. The cream will rise to the top.

Honestly, I think the roster is pretty strong top to bottom. The weakest spot is offensive tackle, imo. An injury at tackle could be devastating.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Same here. I didn’t think we would get a long corner in the 2nd. The more I look at those two the more I really like them. Also that safety we picked up will make the team. Hell this UDFA Igwebuike looks like a good pickup but we will see when the pads are on. This class looks like it was FAR deeper at DB than any DL position.

Yea Vita was the best outcome at 12 in hindsight. The DTs taken in the 2nd and 3rd are nice players but not really ready to make the impact Vita will. Hurst was still someone I wanted but I think it's fairly obvious now that Jason Licht and the OBP staff and coaches are moving away from the smaller, 1 gap linemen we've all grown accustom to around here.

I'm not really sold on Whitehead, but I agree with you that he will make the team. I know nothing about Igwebuike other than you guys like him.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Yea Vita was the best outcome at 12 in hindsight. The DTs taken in the 2nd and 3rd are nice players but not really ready to make the impact Vita will. Hurst was still someone I wanted but I think it's fairly obvious now that Jason Licht and the OBP staff and coaches are moving away from the smaller, 1 gap linemen we've all grown accustom to around here.

I'm not really sold on Whitehead, but I agree with you that he will make the team. I know nothing about Igwebuike other than you guys like him.

He caught my eye against Wisconsin when he picked off the QB from the first play from scrimmage.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:39 am

Igwebuike caught my eye in his tape against Penn State. It was evident that he's a bad MF and his athleticism was right there with Barkley when they went toe to toe- not many guys can say that. He definitely is a brain farter though, but makes plays too. He's probably Conte level in coverage, makes plays but gives them up, but he's much more of a tone setter going downhill than Conte is capable of being.
real bucs fan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Conte gets justifiable criticism, but he's no Sabby Piscatelli.

I would agree, as someone who hates on Conte a decent amount of the time. He's no worse than Mark Barron or Dashon Goldson were. As much as I'd like to get Conte off the field, I feel better about him playing than basically everyone from our D-line last year except for McCoy. I think Licht did the right thing in prioritizing the line before the secondary.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 pm

This was really the 1st offseason Jason Licht prioritized defense over offense. 3 major signings and a trade for the Dline followed by the 12th overall pick on another Dlineman. Then 2 2nds and a 4th on the secondary.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I am not so certain they are completely discounting the McCoy style of 1 gap dlinemen. I think it's just a case of them signing a decent vet not knowing they were going to be able to draft an elite rookie to do the same job. Vea is also a rare case of a 350 pound guy with the moves to play 1 gap rusher in spite of his size.

In hindsight, I am slowing agreeing about James. He is a similar or slightly superior prospect to Vea and a position of greater need but we were not going to find the later round dlinemen with the same level of talent as the DBs we drafted, with the exception of Hurst who was a special case. There was no one else like Vea in this draft.

I wonder if we are done in free agency. Eric Reid and Kenny Vaccaro are out there still.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:This was really the 1st offseason Jason Licht prioritized defense over offense. 3 major signings and a trade for the Dline followed by the 12th overall pick on another Dlineman. Then 2 2nds and a 4th on the secondary.

No matter how this turns out Licht has put together an amazing offseason. This is his best work yet imo.

Regardless of next years record there is no way I fire Licht. It’s up to Koetter and his staff to get the most out of these new additions.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:00 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:This was really the 1st offseason Jason Licht prioritized defense over offense. 3 major signings and a trade for the Dline followed by the 12th overall pick on another Dlineman. Then 2 2nds and a 4th on the secondary.

No matter how this turns out Licht has put together an amazing offseason. This is his best work yet imo.

Regardless of next years record there is no way I fire Licht. It’s up to Koetter and his staff to get the most out of these new additions.

Yep!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:06 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Seconded.
Rocker

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Agreed. That also means that if we dont see that success it's time for Keotterand crew to go. He's had time and patience, and now he has the most complete roster we've seen here since the Super Bowl.

I think he gets it done though. We were pretty competitive in near every game last year and hung losses on a few good teams. Even if none of the DBs make a significant immediate contribution, the new look DL should be enough to make the defense as a whole formidable. With the black hole at LG filled and a shiny new RB, the offense should step up too. OL is still the one thing that worries me. Dotson just went under the knife, Sweezy has not been reliable at all and D Smith is still D Smith for better or worse. If there is one thing that could drag the whole thing under, that's itm
terrytate

Postby The Outsider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:16 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Agreed. That also means that if we dont see that success it's time for Keotterand crew to go. He's had time and patience, and now he has the most complete roster we've seen here since the Super Bowl.

I think he gets it done though. We were pretty competitive in near every game last year and hung losses on a few good teams. Even if none of the DBs make a significant immediate contribution, the new look DL should be enough to make the defense as a whole formidable. With the black hole at LG filled and a shiny new RB, the offense should step up too. OL is still the one thing that worries me. Dotson just went under the knife, Sweezy has not been reliable at all and D Smith is still D Smith for better or worse. If there is one thing that could drag the whole thing under, that's itm

If we can stop a slant route next year we may win the division. So many of our problems came from not being able to stop basic, core offensive concepts.
The Outsider

Postby Nano » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 pm

We have a playoff caliber roster. We shouldn't be the worst defense in the league anymore, we won't be last in sacks or pass defense anymore. Our offense should be electric...anything below top 10 would be a disappointment. We do face a tough schedule, but with better luck, more competent coaching, and Winston progressing...we should win more games this year.
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:01 pm

We certainly have the pieces now to be good to great in all facets... as long as Catanzano can make his kicks lol
real bucs fan

Next

Return to Team Discussions