Welcome Justin Watson

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Justin Watson

Postby acmillis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 am

I'm always scared when a thread that's been dead for a while pips up... injury, arrest, etc. thank god this wasn't that, thanks for the positive stuff
acmillis

Postby Nano » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 am

He won't get much playing time this year, but hopefully, he can practice hard and keep his roster spot to make more of a contribution in 2019.
Nano

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 am

There is really only one roster spot available for a WR. Uphill battle.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 am

There are going to be jobs next year. It seems highly likely D-Jax and Hump will be gone, giving us Evans, Godwin, and then a whole lot of opportunity. I'm rooting for Watson.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Crocaneers wrote:We need some good stories

Justin's story is one that should be told more often.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-bucc ... tin-watson

I posted a similar story in this thread. It is an awesome story. Whether this kid makes it here or not, I hope he makes it somewhere. This sport can always use good character guys like this.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:01 am

I saw the post you had, and liked the ESPN picked the story up again.

Sorry acmillis for the scare. I am always in favor in saving threads when possible.

Justin's a good guy and agreed on uphill battle here, but we do need more guys like this in the league.
Crocaneers

Postby Heidguy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 am

Buc2 wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:We need some good stories

Justin's story is one that should be told more often.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-bucc ... tin-watson

I posted a similar story in this thread. It is an awesome story. Whether this kid makes it here or not, I hope he makes it somewhere. This sport can always use good character guys like this.

I really rather he makes it with us, of course he deserves to make it in general. But with our luck if he catches on with another team it'll be with a division rival and he'll kick our ass all the time! Lol
Heidguy

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 am

I have to say that Justin Watson has impressed the hell out of me. Coming from Penn I thought he'd be a pure project, but the guy looks like a white Mike Evans out there. I don't think there is enough talk about how good he is, probably because of how deep we are at the position, but the guy looks like he has a tremendous amount of potential and could be one of the steals of the draft in a few years. I don't expect him to do much this year, but in a year or 2 when we've moved on from Hump and D-Jax I think he's going to be an impactful player.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 am

real bucs fan wrote:I have to say that Justin Watson has impressed the hell out of me. Coming from Penn I thought he'd be a pure project, but the guy looks like a white Mike Evans out there. I don't think there is enough talk about how good he is, probably because of how deep we are at the position, but the guy looks like he has a tremendous amount of potential and could be one of the steals of the draft in a few years. I don't expect him to do much this year, but in a year or 2 when we've moved on from Hump and D-Jax I think he's going to be an impactful player.

He's had a good preseason, I agree. That said, my expectations for a fifth-round rookie wide receiver at arguably our deepest position are well tempered.

I agree that in a few years time, Justin Watson may well be the third fiddle at wide receiver behind Evans and Godwin. That's about his ceiling on our team, barring injury or other catastrophe.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I have to say that Justin Watson has impressed the hell out of me. Coming from Penn I thought he'd be a pure project, but the guy looks like a white Mike Evans out there. I don't think there is enough talk about how good he is, probably because of how deep we are at the position, but the guy looks like he has a tremendous amount of potential and could be one of the steals of the draft in a few years. I don't expect him to do much this year, but in a year or 2 when we've moved on from Hump and D-Jax I think he's going to be an impactful player.

I agree that in a few years' time, he can be the third fiddle at wide receiver behind Evans and Godwin. That's about his ceiling on our team, barring injury or other catastrophe.

I wouldn't cap his potential just yet, but obviously Evans and Godwin look like they are going to be a tremendous 1-2 for us for many years- but I think Watson has the potential to make that a 3 headed monster.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 am

I'm anxious to see Watson in real NFL games vs 1st stringers. He did have some good plays vs Lions Pro bowler CB Derrius Slay in the limited action he got vs opposing starters this preseason.
DreadNaught

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I'm anxious to see Watson in real NFL games vs 1st stringers. He did have some good plays vs Lions Pro bowler CB Derrius Slay in the limited action he got vs opposing starters this preseason.

Kid looks like he has some skills but I'm not sure how much we want to see him early. The Bucs have 4 guys plus 2 TEs ahead of him and Watson showing up could mean an injury. Also, it took Godwin some time to get his legs under him last year and WRs don't always assimilate right into the pro game. So i think a bit of brake pumping is needed here.
Four Verticals

Postby MJW » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I'm anxious to see Watson in real NFL games vs 1st stringers. He did have some good plays vs Lions Pro bowler CB Derrius Slay in the limited action he got vs opposing starters this preseason.

Kid looks like he has some skills but I'm not sure how much we want to see him early. The Bucs have 4 guys plus 2 TEs ahead of him and Watson showing up could mean an injury. Also, it took Godwin some time to get his legs under him last year and WRs don't always assimilate right into the pro game. So i think a bit of brake pumping is needed here.

I could see him getting a few red zone snaps if we spread it out all. Evans, Godwin, Watson, Howard, and Brate? Fitz wouldn't get much time but he wouldn't need it.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:11 am

Four Verticals wrote:

On the contrary, he needs more hype- he's getting absolutely none.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:15 am

He obviously looked like he belonged in pre-season. The TD from Winston was beautiful. But I didn't see anything that made me think he needs to be on the field over our top 4. I'm glad he made the team as a late-round pick but that's about it for now, for me.
Deuce

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am

Unless inactive, everyone knows he could be one snap away from taking the field. How long would be measured by how the injured WR is out of action.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Unless inactive, everyone knows he could be one snap away from taking the field. How long would be measured by how the injured WR is out of action.

"You serious Clark?"
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Who is Clark?
mdb1958

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:12 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Who is Clark?

^Clark
Phantom Phenom

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:22 pm

You gotta realize very little of my life was consumed by Hollywood - so I dont have a clue.

Some people play games and watch movies, I went fishing and diving.
mdb1958

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:

On the contrary, he needs more hype- he's getting absolutely none.

Hype? WTF are you talking about?
Four Verticals

Postby Caradoc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:On the contrary, he needs more hype- he's getting absolutely none.

If you watched RBF drool over Watson's "GQ level good looks" on draft day, you'd know where he was coming from.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:

If you watched RBF drool over Watson's "GQ level good looks" on draft day, you'd know where he was coming from.

lol some folks have no sense of humour
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:42 am

I don't know if I'm ever going to get used to the era of, "The Buccaneers are absolutely loaded with offensive weapons, but they can't build a decent defense to save their lives."
MJW

Previous

Return to Team Discussions