Welcome Justin Watson

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Justin Watson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:31 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:He reminds me of Mike Evans. I see what they like.

Maybe the finesse version? Evans is one of the toughest wideouts you'll ever see

It's the way he moves and holds the ball high in tight spots.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Maybe the finesse version? Evans is one of the toughest wideouts you'll ever see

It's the way he moves and holds the ball high in tight spots.

I have to admit I know nothing about the guy, i just haven't seen that toughness and compete for the ball in the highlights I have seen. Definitely an intriguing pick. Kinda reminds me of that German guy the Vikes drafted a few years ago though.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I have to admit I know nothing about football.

We agree here.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I have to admit I know nothing about football.

We agree here.

Maybe if you got off my nuts your mouth wouldn't be so salty
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 am

This guy grows on you because when you watch him he doesn’t have great speed and athletic ability but what he does is run good routes.

—Todd McShay

Obviously he never watched his film and was just winging it on stereotypes when commenting on this pick during the draft. Kiper didn’t dispute McShay and only recited stats in reply; he didn’t scout him either. I’m thinking other teams probably didn’t know much about him either.

Maybe Brate’s success has caused our staff to pay more attention to the Ivy League? I’m thinking some other teams didn’t even bother to check his metrics.
Brazen331

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:56 am

I keep hearing about how fast he is. Do you guys know of any videos that display his speed?
theBKwhopper

Postby Wharf Rat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:45 am

This is the best one I’ve found, not sure it displays his speed though.

He ran a 4.42 on his pro day. Pretty fast for a dude who I saw listed at 6’4 225. Even more than that, he looks like he runs good routes.

I just read this about him:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/04/28/bucs-wrs-coach-got-his-guy-in-penns-justin-watson/
Wharf Rat

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:37 am

The guy he got comped to on NFLN was Adam Thielen. Watching him play a bit, that's solid, and not because of skin color. He's big, he runs good routes, he uses his size VERY well to shield defenders, and if he gets two hands on the ball, he catches the ball.
MJW

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:50 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

You don't draft for need in the 5th round, you draft talented under the radar prospects that you are high on. This guy destroyed his pro day after being snubbed from the combine and has the physical attributes to play in the pros with a good college resume. I'm liking this more and more. Plus the expectation is that DeSean Jackson is a likely cap casualty next year and Humphries needs a new deal/isn't that good to begin with so adding to the talent at WR in the 5th isn't a horrible move at all.

If that's the case Shaq Griffin was available. This guy is not replacing any of those guys
BucaRican

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 am

Watson is not football fast. He is another catch and fall down guy. Nothing to be excited about.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 am

Brazen331 wrote:This guy grows on you because when you watch him he doesn’t have great speed and athletic ability but what he does is run good routes.

—Todd McShay

Obviously he never watched his film and was just winging it on stereotypes when commenting on this pick during the draft. Kiper didn’t dispute McShay and only recited stats in reply; he didn’t scout him either. I’m thinking other teams probably didn’t know much about him either.

Maybe Brate’s success has caused our staff to pay more attention to the Ivy League? I’m thinking some other teams didn’t even bother to check his metrics.

McShay isn't wrong. Watson isn't that fast or athletic on the field. His 40 time is irrelevant. Think about this. Watson ran a 4.42. Ronald Jones ran a 4.65. When you look at their tape do you think Justin Watson is faster than Ronald Jones?
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:This guy grows on you because when you watch him he doesn’t have great speed and athletic ability but what he does is run good routes.

—Todd McShay

McShay isn't wrong. Watson isn't that fast or athletic on the field. His 40 time is irrelevant. Think about this. Watson ran a 4.42. Ronald Jones ran a 4.65. When you look at their tape do you think Justin Watson is faster than Ronald Jones?

Your point is valid...

But that Jones 40 was when he was hurt (think a hammy?)...

He wasn't running 4.65 forty times during the season/when healthy...he's much closer to 4.4...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:09 am

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Your point is valid...

He wasn't running 4.65 forty times during the season/when healthy...he's much closer to 4.4...

Okay even if he did run 4.4, you look at the tape and tell me he and Watson are the same level of fast.
Bootz2004

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Your point is valid...

Okay even if he did run 4.4, you look at the tape and tell me he and Watson are the same level of fast.

They are not, not even close
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

—Todd McShay

RoJo's 40 time seems misleading. I know he tweaked his hammy at his combine 40 and his proday wasn't impressive either. But Jones ran on USCs 4x100 track team and was a standout sprinter in HS. Plus we can see on tape him pulling away from pursuit defenders.

As far as Watson, I'm having trouble finding what is not to like. He doesn't look like a 4.40 guy on tape, but neither did Chris Godwin who also ran 4.42 iirc. But Watson has good size, long arms, big hands, and is a natural hands catcher. That 4.4 speed will hopefully show up on vertical routes, but like Godwin I see Watson being effective with his route running, hands, and willingness to block in the run game. Wason/Godwin are the opposite of the Herron/Kenny Bell types who were all flash and little substance.

I know we always fall in love with late round picks and they rarely work out, but I like this Watson kid.
DreadNaught

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:17 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

RoJo's 40 time seems misleading. I know he tweaked his hammy at his combine 40 and his proday wasn't impressive either. But Jones ran on USCs 4x100 track team and was a standout sprinter in HS. Plus we can see on tape him pulling away from pursuit defenders.

As far as Watson, I'm having trouble finding what is not to like. He doesn't look like a 4.40 guy on tape, but neither did Chris Godwin who also ran 4.42 iirc. But Watson has good size, long arms, big hands, and is a natural hands catcher. That 4.4 speed will hopefully show up on vertical routes, but like Godwin I see Watson being effective with his route running, hands, and willingness to block in the run game. Wason/Godwin are the opposite of the Herron/Kenny Bell types who were all flash and little substance.

I know we always fall in love with late round picks and they rarely work out, but I like this Watson kid.

If any one says he looks like a 4.40 guy on tape, needs to understand he is going up against 4.7.-4.8 DB every game.
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Exactly and that's what I was saying in response to Brazen saying McShay's analysis of Watson was wrong. He's not a fast guy. He runs good routes, has great hands. He's not winning with speed and athleticism.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am

Despite his 40 time Watson looks slow in those highlights. I’ll try to find highlights that showcase his speed on the field, but maybe the kid runs track faster than he plays football.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 am

I will say that during the week of the Senior Bowl Watson was consistently able beat press man and get over the top of CBs on vertical routes. He also made a similar type play during the game vs press man when Josh Allen hit him down the sideline w/ a nice fade. I know it's just the Senior Bowl, but the level of competition in terms of the types of athletes he was facing is close to what he'll see in NFL and Watson was able to get open.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Your point is valid...

Oh now way... completely agree with you in regards to Watson....

Somebody either had a fast or slow thumb on that, likely, hand timed 40...

Or, like Primeminister said, he could be a faster runner than football player..40 yards is a jaunt, maybe he reaches a nice top, long speed but lacks the short distance quickness for it to translate to the game...
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Despite his 40 time Watson looks slow in those highlights. I’ll try to find highlights that showcase his speed on the field, but maybe the kid runs track faster than he plays football.

What I saw in those highlights was a WR that had to adjust (slow) in order to not outrun his QB's throws.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:I will say that during the week of the Senior Bowl Watson was consistently able beat press man and get over the top of CBs on vertical routes. He also made a similar type play during the game vs press man when Josh Allen hit him down the sideline w/ a nice fade. I know it's just the Senior Bowl, but the level of competition in terms of the types of athletes he was facing is close to what he'll see in NFL and Watson was able to get open.

Jordy Nelson was able to get open deep a bunch....he was clocked at a combine 4.51...

Getting behind the D isn't all about speed (not insinuating you said it was)...

If I had to bet, I'd say that Watson likely runs a 4.55 - 4.6...his size makes him look slower than that...
Super K

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:15 am

Buc2 wrote:Apparently, his motivation comes from his older brother who has Cerebral Palsey.

One day after football camp at South Fayette High School, about 12 miles outside Pittsburgh, Justin Watson felt like he could go no more. Not another step. His legs burned and ached from two-a-day practices. His feet were blistered. His mood was dark. His energy depleted.

"I'm complaining down the hallway, and I turn into my room and see my brother and he's just smiling ear to ear," Watson said. "If he had one day in my shoes, he would run until he threw up and until his feet were bleeding. And as soon as he could, he would get back up and start running again.

"From that moment on, he's been my inspiration and the guy that whenever it gets tough and whenever I have a bad day, I just realize my brother Tommy would find a way to smile every single day. If I can't enjoy coming out playing football and getting in the weight room, what am I doing?"

Tommy, his oldest brother who is now 28, has cerebral palsy. The disorder of movement and posture results in a limitation of activity caused by damage that occurs in a fetal or infant brain. He doesn't walk or talk.

So Justin developed enough athletic ability for both of them. At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, he runs a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash and has a vertical leap of 40 inches. He's smart, too. With only Division I-A offers from Buffalo and Akron, he chose to go to the Ivy League, becoming the all-time career receiving leader at Penn, which has played football for 140 years.

This story makes me want to jump out of my chair and start sprinting until I vomit my morning coffee. Just awesome.
SIBucsFan

Postby Buccs99 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:56 am

he was drafted to give guys like adam humphries competition. also there to work special teams.
Buccs99

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 am

BucaRican wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:
You don't draft for need in the 5th round, you draft talented under the radar prospects that you are high on. This guy destroyed his pro day after being snubbed from the combine and has the physical attributes to play in the pros with a good college resume. I'm liking this more and more. Plus the expectation is that DeSean Jackson is a likely cap casualty next year and Humphries needs a new deal/isn't that good to begin with so adding to the talent at WR in the 5th isn't a horrible move at all.

If that's the case Shaq Griffin was available. This guy is not replacing any of those guys

For one, no Shaq Griffin was NOT available when we made this pick. Two, who cares if he was anyways? His story is inspirational but that's why everyone wants him, he was one of the media darling day 3 prospects that fans want to draft but when we select someone they never heard of (because they aren't actual scouts, maybe?), everyone whines. Also, how do you know Watson isn't replacing any of these guys? He's got the size and speed combo to be an NFL wideout, if he got invited to the combine he may have been drafted day 2 because he has measurables and production. Let's see what he can do before writing him off because you never heard of him.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

The knocks on our draft grade for Vea all seem to be people pissed we didn’t draft James like they assumed. And then they say he is “just a 2down player”. But the reason he was projected so high was his athletecism, that he wasn’t just a 2 down guy.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Caradoc wrote:The knocks on our draft grade for Vea all seem to be people pissed we didn’t draft James like they assumed. And then they say he is “just a 2down player”. But the reason he was projected so high was his athletecism, that he wasn’t just a 2 down guy.

While I agree he isn't a pure 2 down run stuffer, and he's more of a 2-way guy than most his size, the reality is you likely are replacing him on 3rd downs. I imagine we are planning on moving Curry inside beside McCoy and having Spence rush from the edge on 3rd and longs.

That's not to say Vea wasn't worth the pick.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Caradoc wrote:The knocks on our draft grade for Vea all seem to be people pissed we didn’t draft James like they assumed. And then they say he is “just a 2down player”. But the reason he was projected so high was his athletecism, that he wasn’t just a 2 down guy.

While I agree he isn't a pure 2 down run stuffer, and he's more of a 2-way guy than most his size, the reality is you likely are replacing him on 3rd downs. I imagine we are planning on moving Curry inside beside McCoy and having Spence rush from the edge on 3rd and longs.

Why in the hell would we replace Vita on 3rd downs? You want disruption on 3rd down and that's exactly what he does. He can disrupt the pocket, make the QB uncomfortable. Putting Curry inside helps out the offense. He's not a great pass rusher and he's smaller in size. Guards/Centers would much rather see him inside than they would a 350 pound powerhouse that can move.

Spence-McCoy-Vea-Paul on 3rd down is much better than Spence-McCoy-Curry-Paul
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Maybe on third and long, but even then I expect we will see him in a fair amount. You need that push. But he will definitely be in on a lot of 3rd a short-medium. He’s not solely a space eater, which they seem to be implying. I’m f he was, then yeah, we could hav “gotten a nose tackle later” like they said.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:While I agree he isn't a pure 2 down run stuffer, and he's more of a 2-way guy than most his size, the reality is you likely are replacing him on 3rd downs. I imagine we are planning on moving Curry inside beside McCoy and having Spence rush from the edge on 3rd and longs.

Why in the hell would we replace Vita on 3rd downs? You want disruption on 3rd down and that's exactly what he does. He can disrupt the pocket, make the QB uncomfortable. Putting Curry inside helps out the offense. He's not a great pass rusher and he's smaller in size. Guards/Centers would much rather see him inside than they would a 350 pound powerhouse that can move.

Spence-McCoy-Vea-Paul on 3rd down is much better than Spence-McCoy-Curry-Paul

I disagree, but we will see come Sundays...
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions