Welcome Justin Watson

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Welcome Justin Watson

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:09 pm

I have never heard of him before
Nano

Re: Welcome Justin Watson

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Big bodied whiteboy wideout who ran a 4.4 40 with a 40" vert at his pro day.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:14 pm

No clue.
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:15 pm

He's a good WR from Penn, another Ivy League skill player. I mentioned him in the Day Three prospects thread, although we took him a round earlier than my sixth round prediction. 6'3", 225lb, ran a 4.4 40 yard dash, jumped a 40" vertical. He has good ball skills and is a good redzone threat. He beat up inferior competition to the tune of 1k yards per season and about a TD a game.

He's good. He's Humps' future replacement, imo.
Cheb

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Bucs selected Penn State WR Justin Watson with the No. 144 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
Watson (6’2/215) was snubbed for a Combine invite despite graduating as Penn’s all-time leader in catches (286), receiving yards (3.777), and receiving TDs (33). Watson caught NFL attention by torching his Pro Day with a 4.44 forty and 40-inch vertical, good for top-five SPARQ results in this year’s wideout class. Plus sized, physical, and more athletic than anyone expected, Watson offers some Eric Decker-like traits as a sleeper.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Great pick. Prototypical Jameis Winston receiver. Great size, speed combo. Hands are like glue. Not much after the catch and of course he'll have to prove he can play with the big boys. But he was highly productive at Penn.
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 pm

I like this pick. I think he's a good WR for Jameis.
theBKwhopper

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:20 pm

He looks like a good gamble in the 5th round. Hopefully he doesn't end up being another Robert Herron/Kenny Bell disappointment, but it is just the 5th round. He'll have to beat out Freddie Martino and Bobo Wilson to get on the 53.
Miller4Prez64

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:He looks like a good gamble in the 5th round. Hopefully he doesn't end up being another Robert Herron/Kenny Bell disappointment, but it is just the 5th round. He'll have to beat out Freddie Martino and Bobo Wilson to get on the 53.

I actually like Bobo a lot. I think we'll carry six receivers this year.
theBKwhopper

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Impressive size and testing measurables. Looks to have soft hands and catches the ball naturally away from his body on a consistent basis.

I assume coming from Penn that he's got some intelligence, hopefully that applies to football also.

We'll see, could develop into something nice or could be another late round bum WR.
DreadNaught

Postby Eastwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Looks like a better Jeff Janis. Mdb should be thrilled.
Eastwood

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Jameis Winston is a big thrower in more ways than one. While the Bucs owned the fourth-most passing yards last year, their gunslinger throws short the least often of any NFL quarterback, per FiveThirtyEight. Watson is likely not a scheme fit, and with the league’s worst defense, the Bucs probably need to look elsewhere — unless they think Watson could help Winston in the possession game.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MikeC » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:55 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:He looks like a good gamble in the 5th round. Hopefully he doesn't end up being another Robert Herron/Kenny Bell disappointment, but it is just the 5th round. He'll have to beat out Freddie Martino and Bobo Wilson to get on the 53.

I actually like Bobo a lot. I think we'll carry six receivers this year.

After Hard Knocks, I got the impression that if Bobo ever produces he’d be a head case that we would just want to get rid of...
MikeC

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Jameis Winston is a big thrower in more ways than one. While the Bucs owned the fourth-most passing yards last year, their gunslinger throws short the least often of any NFL quarterback, per FiveThirtyEight. Watson is likely not a scheme fit, and with the league’s worst defense, the Bucs probably need to look elsewhere — unless they think Watson could help Winston in the possession game.

You don't draft for need in the 5th round, you draft talented under the radar prospects that you are high on. This guy destroyed his pro day after being snubbed from the combine and has the physical attributes to play in the pros with a good college resume. I'm liking this more and more. Plus the expectation is that DeSean Jackson is a likely cap casualty next year and Humphries needs a new deal/isn't that good to begin with so adding to the talent at WR in the 5th isn't a horrible move at all.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Eastwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Buc2 wrote:

Who wrote that garbage?
Eastwood

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Eastwood wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Who wrote that garbage?

Click on the link.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

You don't draft for need in the 5th round, you draft talented under the radar prospects that you are high on. This guy destroyed his pro day after being snubbed from the combine and has the physical attributes to play in the pros with a good college resume. I'm liking this more and more. Plus the expectation is that DeSean Jackson is a likely cap casualty next year and Humphries needs a new deal/isn't that good to begin with so adding to the talent at WR in the 5th isn't a horrible move at all.

From what I’ve read and seen, I like the pick as well.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll trust Koetter on him being a "scheme fit".

Kid had good size and production. If Gil Brandt had him in the 4th rd range I'm cool with him in the 5th.
DreadNaught

Postby RamonDeLaFuente » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Third ivy leaguer on our roster... We'll beat them with superior brain power!
RamonDeLaFuente

Postby MikeC » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 pm

RamonDeLaFuente wrote:Third ivy leaguer on our roster... We'll beat them with superior brain power!

Bill Belichek won’t win many games by taking the field but if we could somehow get 22 Bill Belicheks...Hmmmm...
MikeC

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 pm

This is how you make a 5th round selection. From a physical standpoint this is basically Josh Gordan; he ran faster than and jumped just as high as Derwin James.

Sure, this could be another Kenny Bell washout. But if he develops watch out.
Brazen331

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Greg Auman
Times staff writer
MORE ARTICLES
Published: April 28, 2018Updated: April 28, 2018 at 05:33 PM
The week before he was promoted to receivers coach on the Bucs staff, Skyler Fulton worked as an assistant at the Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, and in doing so got a full week of practice coaching Penn receiver Justin Watson.
Fulton liked Watson enough that he attended his pro day at Penn in person, and when he saw the measurables that he put up there — 40-inch vertical, 4.42 time in the 40 — he was worried that his secret was out.
"He ran really fast, and (Fulton) said 'Oh, my God. People are going to know about him now,'" Penn coach Ray Priore said. "He said 'This is my guy. I worked with him for a week.'"
The Bucs were still able to get Watson, drafting him in the fifth round Saturday — he'll add depth to a talented group of receivers, having topped 1,000 yards in three straight seasons to graduate as Penn's career leader in catches, yards and touchdown receptions.
Priore coaches a team of nothing but Ivy Leaguers, but he said Watson's football intelligence and leadership will stand out with the Bucs. He said the team captain cared enough to attend all of Penn's special-teams meetings even though he didn't play on any special-teams units his senior year.
"I've been at Penn now for 33 years, head coach for the past three and it's very, very rare that you find a young man that has the qualities and the drive in everything he's done," Priore said. "Meticulous about his body, preparation, how he attacks practice, first on the field and last to leave. He's worked hard to get to this point."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018 ... in-watson/
Deja Entendu

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Greg Auman
Times staff writer
MORE ARTICLES
Published: April 28, 2018Updated: April 28, 2018 at 05:33 PM
The week before he was promoted to receivers coach on the Bucs staff, Skyler Fulton worked as an assistant at the Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, and in doing so got a full week of practice coaching Penn receiver Justin Watson.
Fulton liked Watson enough that he attended his pro day at Penn in person, and when he saw the measurables that he put up there — 40-inch vertical, 4.42 time in the 40 — he was worried that his secret was out.
"He ran really fast, and (Fulton) said 'Oh, my God. People are going to know about him now,'" Penn coach Ray Priore said. "He said 'This is my guy. I worked with him for a week.'"
The Bucs were still able to get Watson, drafting him in the fifth round Saturday — he'll add depth to a talented group of receivers, having topped 1,000 yards in three straight seasons to graduate as Penn's career leader in catches, yards and touchdown receptions.
Priore coaches a team of nothing but Ivy Leaguers, but he said Watson's football intelligence and leadership will stand out with the Bucs. He said the team captain cared enough to attend all of Penn's special-teams meetings even though he didn't play on any special-teams units his senior year.
"I've been at Penn now for 33 years, head coach for the past three and it's very, very rare that you find a young man that has the qualities and the drive in everything he's done," Priore said. "Meticulous about his body, preparation, how he attacks practice, first on the field and last to leave. He's worked hard to get to this point."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018 ... in-watson/

He obviously has an amazing work ethic. Hopefully it shows up on the field
theBKwhopper

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Brazen331 wrote:This is how you make a 5th round selection. From a physical standpoint this is basically Josh Gordan; he ran faster than and jumped just as high as Derwin James.

Agreed...
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:01 pm

Apparently, his motivation comes from his older brother who has Cerebral Palsey.

One day after football camp at South Fayette High School, about 12 miles outside Pittsburgh, Justin Watson felt like he could go no more. Not another step. His legs burned and ached from two-a-day practices. His feet were blistered. His mood was dark. His energy depleted.

"I'm complaining down the hallway, and I turn into my room and see my brother and he's just smiling ear to ear," Watson said. "If he had one day in my shoes, he would run until he threw up and until his feet were bleeding. And as soon as he could, he would get back up and start running again.

"From that moment on, he's been my inspiration and the guy that whenever it gets tough and whenever I have a bad day, I just realize my brother Tommy would find a way to smile every single day. If I can't enjoy coming out playing football and getting in the weight room, what am I doing?"

Tommy, his oldest brother who is now 28, has cerebral palsy. The disorder of movement and posture results in a limitation of activity caused by damage that occurs in a fetal or infant brain. He doesn't walk or talk.

So Justin developed enough athletic ability for both of them. At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, he runs a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash and has a vertical leap of 40 inches. He's smart, too. With only Division I-A offers from Buffalo and Akron, he chose to go to the Ivy League, becoming the all-time career receiving leader at Penn, which has played football for 140 years.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Brazen331 wrote:This is how you make a 5th round selection. From a physical standpoint this is basically Josh Gordan; he ran faster than and jumped just as high as Derwin James.

Exactly. He has the tools. Now it's up to us to help mold them.
Bootz2004

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Exactly. He has the tools. Now it's up to us to help mold them.

Best thing is we have time. We won't need him involved with the offense right away which gives our coaches time to develop. We'll need guys to step up next year because I think D-Jax is likely gone and Humphries could be as well.
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:55 pm

I love productive players like this, even from small programs. I love guys who understood how to make plays and did what they had to do. I'll take a guy like that every time over a guy who played four years at a major program without making any plays, but ran really well.

Also, as I said in reference to other dudes, this is the kind of receiver Winston needs. Intermediate threats with huge wingspans.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 pm

He reminds me of Mike Evans. I see what they like.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:He reminds me of Mike Evans. I see what they like.

Maybe the finesse version? Evans is one of the toughest wideouts you'll ever see
real bucs fan

Next

Return to Team Discussions