Welcome Jordan Whitehead

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Welcome Jordan Whitehead

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:55 am

I feel misled about the parrot thing...
Nano

Re: Welcome Jordan Whitehead

Postby BUCCABEER » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:56 am

Nano wrote:I feel misled about the parrot thing...

Recorded for effect. Can't trust a bird on live TV.
Last edited by BUCCABEER on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BUCCABEER

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:56 am

I didn't see. Went to commercial.

We really are going all in on DBs I like it. One of these guys should work out well for us.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 am

He is former Buc Darrelle Revis' cousin.
Miller4Prez64

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:01 pm

From NFL dot com

"He's just an average player right now. There is some talent there, but he doesn't make game-changing plays and he made a ton of mental mistakes this year." -- AFC team area scout
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:From NFL dot com

"He's just an average player right now. There is some talent there, but he doesn't make game-changing plays and he made a ton of mental mistakes this year." -- AFC team area scout

Sounds like a guy who can play STs and is added depth.
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Sounds like a guy who can play STs and is added depth.

Good with me. Can't underestimate the importance of special teams. With how bad our safeties are, I could see him getting playing time, though.
theBKwhopper

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I think he's definitely a guy who's going to come in and compete with Conte to start. Not big, but has that downfield punisher mentality that you either have or you don't. Plus athlete too.
real bucs fan

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Whitehead has enough range to cover a deep half, but is an undersized safety whose frame and physical playing style raise concerns about his long-term durability. A safety/corner tweener, he has the ceiling of a No. 3 sub-package defensive back.-ESPN
Nano

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 pm

He was highly recruited out of high school and underachieved a bit in college. Talent wise he's a 2nd round type, but his production was closer to a 5th or 6th. So a typical 4th round type gamble on raw ability. Like Bootz said he is likely a ST guy right away but I'm sure the coaches really like his upside and want to see how he can improve his game when he's in an NFL building. I think it's a good pick and I like that we able to add three young DBs in the first 4 rounds, a lot of new faces in a area that needed some.
Miller4Prez64

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Don't know much about him. Built and plays similar to MJ Stewart. Smaller DB that plays physical.

Glad we got Grimes for one more year with these young pups.
DreadNaught

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

He was highly recruited out of high school and underachieved a bit in college. Talent wise he's a 2nd round type, but his production was closer to a 5th or 6th. So a typical 4th round type gamble on raw ability. Like Bootz said he is likely a ST guy right away but I'm sure the coaches really like his upside and want to see how he can improve his game when he's in an NFL building. I think it's a good pick and I like that we able to add three young DBs in the first 4 rounds, a lot of new faces in a area that needed some.

I'm hoping that these picks will push VH3 to compete and improve. Or at the very least provide depth.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm glad we're overloading on DBs. It's been basically neglected since Licht got here. Just 3 DBs drafted from 2014-2017. You can't win if you don't have guys who can cover. I have high hopes for these guys.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:I'm glad we're overloading on DBs. It's been basically neglected since Licht got here. Just 3 DBs drafted from 2014-2017. You can't win if you don't have guys who can cover. I have high hopes for these guys.

Idk about overlooked. Revis, Goldson, Ward, VH3, Evans... Some just didn't work out. That's not the same a ignoring.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I'm glad we're overloading on DBs. It's been basically neglected since Licht got here. Just 3 DBs drafted from 2014-2017. You can't win if you don't have guys who can cover. I have high hopes for these guys.

Idk about overlooked. Revis, Goldson, Ward, VH3, Evans... Some just didn't work out. That's not the same a ignoring.

Dominik brought in Revis and Goldson. Licht's first real move as GM was cutting Revis for nothing after we gave up a 1st the year before.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Idk about overlooked. Revis, Goldson, Ward, VH3, Evans... Some just didn't work out. That's not the same a ignoring.

Dominik brought in Revis and Goldson. Licht's first real move as GM was cutting Revis for nothing after we gave up a 1st the year before.

Meant Verner.

For nothing is harsh. Like Gruden says sometime's teams just don't want to trade. This is what happens when you keep switching coaches, Revis didn't fit what Lovie was doing here and cost a ton.
Doctor

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Idk about overlooked. Revis, Goldson, Ward, VH3, Evans... Some just didn't work out. That's not the same a ignoring.

I'm really tired of these types of reminders.
Deja Entendu

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Doctor wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Meant Verner.

For nothing is harsh. Like Gruden says sometime's teams just don't want to trade. This is what happens when you keep switching coaches, Revis didn't fit what Lovie was doing here and cost a ton.

Fair enough on Verner. But still can't be on board with the move considering they turned his cap space (that we didn't even need) into Anthony Collins, Josh McCown, Michael Johnson and Verner for what could be the worst FA class in Bucs history. Licht has definitely not done a good job with the secondary minus signing Grimes, which is why he had to draft 3 in the first four rounds now.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Sorry, a little late to the party...

Whitehead is a phenomenal football player...watched him in HS (Central Valley PA) and at Pitt...

If he can come back from the knee injury, we are set at safety with him and Evans for a long, long time..
Super K

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

You forget who was Licht's boss back then.

That said, there really wasn't anything wrong with cutting Revis, the mistake was trading that much for him and paying him that much when he hated being here.
Caradoc

Postby Agent Orange » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Nice pick and I like the fact that he is a phenomenal athlete. It looks like he got injured a couple times in college so i hope he is not injury prone. All in all I like the pick a lot. Here is that writeup...

Jordan Whitehead didn't need long to make an impression at Pitt.

The versatile weapon starred at safety by amassing 108 tackles and six pass breakups. He was named the ACC's Rookie and Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Whitehead also contributed at running back. The freshman tallied 10.2 yards per carry and scored two touchdowns.

"He's going to be real great," former teammate and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Tyler Boyd said, per Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "You can put him anywhere on the field and he's going to execute no matter what."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2643 ... 2017-draft
Agent Orange

Return to Team Discussions