Day Three Options

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Day Three Options

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:42 pm

We'll start with pick 101 tomorrow. After the trade dust settled, the Bucs have #117, #144, and #202.

Guys I'm liking for these last three picks, in no order.

DT Maurice Hurst, Michigan. At what point does a team take a risk on his medical? Without having any actual hard info on his situation, it's tough to say. Unless it's worse than we've been led to believe, it becomes a good risk in the 4th.

WR E. St. Brown, Notre Dame. I was hoping we'd get Courtland Sutton as a future starting option. St. Brown is a similar dude. Big receiver with a huge catch radius. These are the types of intermediate receivers Winston will be at his best with.

OT Tyrell Crosby, Oregon. Future starting right tackle in the league.

S Marcus Allen, Penn State. I think he's going to be a solid strong safety in the league. He's a future team captain type and at worst, a special teams stud. We need a young safety to develop behind Conte and Tandy.

CB Nick Nelson, Wisconsin. Similar to Carlton Davis. Impressed me whenever I watched him at Wisconsin. I would love to hedge our bets with the ongoing Ryan Smith experiment.

WR Trey Quinn, SMU. Future slot demon. Takes over for Hump in 2019, if that's something we're going to keep going in the offense.

DT RJ McIntosh, Miami. We have two excellent run-stoppers at tackle now, but if McCoy goes down or declines, the only natural fit at three tech is the thirtyish Mitch Unrein.

OT Brett Toth, Army. A developmental backup tackle.

OT Desmond Harrison, W Georgia. Same.

HOMER OPTION: CB Chris Jones, Nebraska. He would have been a day two pick before injuries slowed him down.
MJW

Re: Day Three Options

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Mo Hurst no matter what.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Hurst would obviously be worth a gamble, as would Sweat. If the plan is to keep Stewart at CB then we still need a safety.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 am

For those of you pushing for Hurst...forget it.

According to the NFL Network, he has a "Hank Gather's-type" heart defect.

If you're too young to remember or have a morbid curiosity...I'm sure you can find video of what happened to Hank Gathers.

No thanks. NOBODY wants to see this kid die on the field. It's sad and unfortunate for the guy but he can make a fine, healthy life, without football.

Again...according to the NFL Network, 9 out of 10 teams interviewed, have taken him off their board ENTIRELY. He MAY get drafted...but **** that. Not by the Bucs. Please.
Alpha

Postby Hatter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 am

Nyheim Hines - RB
(I like Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton too)

Deshon Elliott- S

Dorance Armstrong or Tim Settle.
Hatter

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:19 am

Hatter wrote:Nyheim Hines - RB
(I like Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton too)

Deshon Elliott- S

Dorance Armstrong or Tim Settle.

I would be surprised if we take another back. It seems darn likely we have our 2018 backfield on the roster now - Barber, Jones, Sims, and Rodgers.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 am

I want that Australian rugby player. Maybe not in the 4th, but at this point I'd use our 5th. 6'8" 350lbs long and athletic. Let him get groomed for 1-2 years at RT behind Dotson.

As a bonus we could put him in the backfield with Vita Vea on short yardage lol...

In the 4th I'd like to target Sweat or Armstrong at EDGE. Another RB wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Dashon Elliot is good value/upside at this point also, I just think MJ Stewart will end up at Safety for the Bucs.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:45 am

Hurst will not get drafted , he should just sell insurance or something .

Like to get Dorance Armstrong
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:52 am

Alpha wrote:For those of you pushing for Hurst...forget it.

If you're too young to remember or have a morbid curiosity...I'm sure you can find video of what happened to Hank Gathers.

No thanks. NOBODY wants to see this kid die on the field. It's sad and unfortunate for the guy but he can make a fine, healthy life, without football.

Again...according to the NFL Network, 9 out of 10 teams interviewed, have taken him off their board ENTIRELY. He MAY get drafted...but **** that. Not by the Bucs. Please.

I didn't know that they had nailed it down like that.

Hank Gathers had an enlarged heart, just like Gaines Adams did. Hank went into bad heart rhythms a few times and refused to take his meds on gamedays, feeling it worsened his play. Both he and Gaines (RIP) died far before their time.

You can detect heart enlargement on an EKG, which would make sense on why everyone freaked out. During his time at Michigan, as far as I know, Hurst never had an abnormal heart rhythm. Some would say that's enough to medically clear him, which is what Michigan's staff did. Lots of people have enlarged hearts and live normal lives. However, Gaines Adams never had an abnormal EKG either, and now his two kids don't have a father.

Football takes a backseat to safety. I wish him and his the best. Go Michigan and go Bucs.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 am

Kameron Kelly
Dorance Armstrong
Rashad Greene
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 am

Today is all about depth. You're going to be hard pressed to find a glaring hole that needs filled.

I think the team is thinnest at O-line right now so I expect 2 out of the remaining 3 picks to be spent there. I'd be delighted with guys like Jamarco Jones, Ike Bottager, Sean Welsh, or Brad Bozeman.

There's a glut of wideouts laying around and some of them are pretty good. I think we take one to return kicks and punts which points to guys like E. St. Brown from Notre Dame or Keke Coutee from TTech. Throw in McFadden from FSU as a returner and rotational corner.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 am

Mailata
Jamerson
Desmond Harrison

Throw some cash for UDFA
Zach Sieler DE
Danny Johnson CB
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 am

The one thing most likely to derail the team from a personnel standpoint is if Dotson doesn't bounce back from his knee surgery. I've been banging Will Richardson's drum for a few months now, and he'd make an excellent fourth round selection at right tackle.

Armani Watts is a safety who we may be targeting in the fourth as well. Elliot could easily fall to the fifth.

In round six, keep an eye on Justin Watson from Penn. Licht loves his Ivy League skill players.
Cheb

Postby sonofg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 am

Not exactly sure at what picks, but I wouldn't mind (in no specific order, given no massive red flags I'm unaware of)

Offense:
QB Luke Falk (have a younger guy to groom)
RB Kalen Ballage
WR Eq. St. Brown, Deon Cain, Allen Lazard (would only go WR late because of position, but to have guys like these as developmental 5th/6th receivers seems nice)
OT Tyrell Crosby, Jamarco Jones, Brett Toth (always good to have OL guys to develop, though Toth is gone for 2 years at first anyway I think)

Defense:
DT Tim Settle
DE Josh Sweat, Da'Shawn Hand, Kentavious Street (young DL players that won't have to contribute early)
LB Josey Jewell (seems like the guy everyone would like to have on their 53)
CB Anthony Averett, Holton Hill
S Marcus Allen, Deshon Elliot
sonofg

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 am

Give me Ballage and Settle today....no doubt about it
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 am

Super K wrote:Give me Ballage and Settle today....no doubt about it

Definitely want Settle. Wouldn’t hate double dipping on RB or CB/S either.
Last edited by Teitan on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teitan

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:01 am

Dorance Armstrong would be nice.
Deja Entendu

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 am

DreadNaught wrote:I want that Australian rugby player. Maybe not in the 4th, but at this point I'd use our 5th. 6'8" 350lbs long and athletic. Let him get groomed for 1-2 years at RT behind Dotson.

As a bonus we could put him in the backfield with Vita Vea on short yardage lol...

In the 4th I'd like to target Sweat or Armstrong at EDGE. Another RB wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Dashon Elliot is good value/upside at this point also, I just think MJ Stewart will end up at Safety for the Bucs.

Ironically, Draft Scout has him ranked as a defensive tackle. Whats crazy is his three-cone - its 6.76! Thats better than any DE at the combine, I think we need to run up to the podium in the fourth.

They have him listed at 6'7" 385 and ran a 5.12

Somethings up, because he wasnt listed like that (a DT) before. Just checked the teams ahead of us in the fourth and a boatload of them need DL help. This guy would bring a lot of buzz to camp for sure.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 am

mdb, what D2 prospects did I miss? Cappa wasn't on my radar as early as we took him. But was he on yours for Saturday or Sunday morning?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:41 am

Alpha wrote:For those of you pushing for Hurst...forget it.

I guess it comes down to how confident you are in your doctors and what they say, I obviously don't have any of the info on that to make that call.
real bucs fan

Postby RedLeader » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:44 am

DreadNaught wrote:I want that Australian rugby player. Maybe not in the 4th, but at this point I'd use our 5th. 6'8" 350lbs long and athletic. Let him get groomed for 1-2 years at RT behind Dotson.

Whis this Rugby player you speak of?
RedLeader

Postby Teitan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:47 am

RedLeader wrote:

I forget his name. GMFB had him on the show this morning. Looks like a strong fella.
Teitan

Postby RedLeader » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:49 am

Teitan wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

I forget his name. GMFB had him on the show this morning. Looks like a strong fella.

Cool. Ill have to check him out.
RedLeader

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:53 am

Looking at the guys still available, there's a surprising amount of intriguing edges available.

I would like to add a SS type though. Godwin Igwebuike is an interesting option. Good size, loves to hit, and a tremendous athlete. Definitely worth a 4th.
real bucs fan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 am

real bucs fan wrote:Looking at the guys still available, there's a surprising amount of intriguing edges available.

I would like to add a SS type though. Godwin Igwebuike is an interesting option. Good size, loves to hit, and a tremendous athlete. Definitely worth a 4th.

I'd be all for an edge guy in the 4th here. I'm still high on Noah Spence, but pushing guys for snaps and adding as many guys on the DL is a win IMO. The Eagles showed how well a rotation of lineman on defense is a huge plus and we're clearly trying to model after that, even stealing a few of their guys.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 am

Hope we get more beef up front, WR, QB.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:mdb, what D2 prospects did I miss? Cappa wasn't on my radar as early as we took him. But was he on yours for Saturday or Sunday morning?

What? Put up what I said.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:mdb, what D2 prospects did I miss? Cappa wasn't on my radar as early as we took him. But was he on yours for Saturday or Sunday morning?

What? Put up what I said.

I don't recall the thread but you asked me to look at a couple of D2 defensive line prospects.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:48 am

RedLeader wrote:

Jordan Mailata
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Nope.
mdb1958

Next

Return to Team Discussions