Welcome Alex Cappa

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Alex Cappa

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Licht really has a thing for long haired gingers

Definitely wouldn't expect a guy with that tape to be sporting the same haircut as Rachel from Friends....
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I read somewhere that they will train him to play all 5 Oline positions.

I like the idea, make him versatile depth while hoping he can find a way to beat out J.R. Sweezy for a starting job in the next two years.

I think Sweezy is going to win fans over this year.
Doctor

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm

I think Sweezy is a cap casualty even if he plays well next year
Nano

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Nano wrote:I think Sweezy is a cap casualty even if he plays well next year

Pretty much, we have too many young guys up for new deals to keep paying some of these FAs that got top dollar contracts.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

That's silly. His cap hit actually goes down for the final two years to just 5M. That's a bargain for a quality OG.
Doctor

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Nano wrote:I think Sweezy is a cap casualty even if he plays well next year

I think we might have to cut ties with several players.
theBKwhopper

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:28 pm

If anything this is in preparation for not re signing Ali or Smith if they chase big money.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Doctor wrote:That's silly. His cap hit actually goes down for the final two years to just 5M. That's a bargain for a quality OG.

If we keep Jameis, he's getting a huge cap eating deal. We also are going to likely have to pay Marpet a pretty penny and he's the better guard. Not to mention Donovan Smith has lots of experience at LT and will get a lot of money from someone if it's not us. Then also Kwon needs a new deal. A lot of the veterans are on borrowed time because the younger drafted players are more priority.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:33 pm

I really doubt we keep all these guys. Kwon will likely test the market and I think Beckwith was brought in to supplant him anyway.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Doctor wrote:I really doubt we keep all these guys. Kwon will likely test the market and I think Beckwith was brought in to supplant him anyway.

So, you value Sweezy over Kwon? Seriously?
Miller4Prez64

Postby Konatown » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 pm

You could say we’re going to be hard pressed with room for the Cappa
Konatown

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Doctor wrote:That's silly. His cap hit actually goes down for the final two years to just 5M. That's a bargain for a quality OG.

If we keep Jameis, he's getting a huge cap eating deal. We also are going to likely have to pay Marpet a pretty penny and he's the better guard. Not to mention Donovan Smith has lots of experience at LT and will get a lot of money from someone if it's not us. Then also Kwon needs a new deal. A lot of the veterans are on borrowed time because the younger drafted players are more priority.

"IF?" we keep James?...that's a done deal man..not even the tiniest of chances of that not happening...

The guy I'd bet we end up not not keeping next year is Gmac and his big ass salary...
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Super K wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

"IF?" we keep James?...that's a done deal man..not even the tiniest of chances of that not happening...

The guy I'd bet we end up not not keeping next year is Gmac and his big ass salary...

I can see us cutting a few players.
theBKwhopper

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Super K wrote:

I can see us cutting a few players.

Is tend to agree...my guess would:

GMac
Djax
Sweezy
Gholston
Grimes (not a cut, but not coming back)

That's a bunch of cash opening up...
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Super K wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I can see us cutting a few players.

Is tend to agree...my guess would:

GMac
Djax
Sweezy
Gholston
Grimes (not a cut, but not coming back)

That's a bunch of cash opening up...

I could see David too.

And be careful mentioning Grimes. These guys will tell you that you don't know how the cap works. Lol
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Let's not be ridiculous. JR Sweezy and Desean Jackson are 1 thing. 2 FAs that thus far haven't worked exactly the way we would've hoped and coming up on expensive cap numbers. But we aint cutting Gerald McCoy or Lavonte David. Those are cornerstone players. Who would we be trying to keep by cutting those guys? I can think of SO many other players. How about the $3mil punter, Bryan Anger? Brate eats up $7mil next year as a #2 TE. We drafted Vea, Beau Allen and his $5mil salary become expendable next year. Same with Unrein and his $3.75. You cut the guys who you can easily replace at lower price points. Not cornerstone players where you know you'll have to replace them and their production and will have to pay a premium price to do so.
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Let's not be ridiculous. JR Sweezy and Desean Jackson are 1 thing. 2 FAs that thus far haven't worked exactly the way we would've hoped and coming up on expensive cap numbers. But we aint cutting Gerald McCoy or Lavonte David. Those are cornerstone players. Who would we be trying to keep by cutting those guys? I can think of SO many other players. How about the $3mil punter, Bryan Anger? Brate eats up $7mil next year as a #2 TE. We drafted Vea, Beau Allen and his $5mil salary become expendable next year. Same with Unrein and his $3.75. You cut the guys who you can easily replace at lower price points. Not cornerstone players where you know you'll have to replace them and their production and will have to pay a premium price to do so.

It's not that I want to release them, or that I think it will happen. I just think it could happen because of the players we'll have to re-sign.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:03 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Let's not be ridiculous. JR Sweezy and Desean Jackson are 1 thing. 2 FAs that thus far haven't worked exactly the way we would've hoped and coming up on expensive cap numbers. But we aint cutting Gerald McCoy or Lavonte David. Those are cornerstone players. Who would we be trying to keep by cutting those guys? I can think of SO many other players. How about the $3mil punter, Bryan Anger? Brate eats up $7mil next year as a #2 TE. We drafted Vea, Beau Allen and his $5mil salary become expendable next year. Same with Unrein and his $3.75. You cut the guys who you can easily replace at lower price points. Not cornerstone players where you know you'll have to replace them and their production and will have to pay a premium price to do so.

It's not that I want to release them, or that I think it will happen. I just think it could happen because of the players we'll have to re-sign.

Again who are we trying to keep at the expense of 2 All-Pro cornerstones?
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:It's not that I want to release them, or that I think it will happen. I just think it could happen because of the players we'll have to re-sign.

Well, Winston's cap is gonna go up for one. Ali, Donovan, Kwon. Maybe we don't want to get rid of Jackson because he has a pro bowl year. We gotta find cap room somewhere.

I wouldn't call David an all-pro. He had a decent year last year, but nothing tremendous. Before that he had been up and down. Not worth depleting our depth to keep him.

McCoy is definitely an all-pro, but very expensive. And, he's getting up there in age.

Obviously it depends on how certain players perform this year, and next year.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Well, Winston's cap is gonna go up for one. Ali, Donovan, Kwon. Maybe we don't want to get rid of Jackson because he has a pro bowl year. We gotta find cap room somewhere.

I wouldn't call David an all-pro. He had a decent year last year, but nothing tremendous. Before that he had been up and down. Not worth depleting our depth to keep him.

McCoy is definitely an all-pro, but very expensive. And, he's getting up there in age.

Winston's deal can be achieved. He already is scheduled to count $21mil against the cap. If he's given an extension, the actual cap figure for 2019 won't be much more than that.

When discussing Ali, Donovan, and Kwon ask yourself are those players more valuable than the guys you're proposing us to release.

For me it's a hell no when comparing them to McCoy. McCoy is 30 but he has shown ZERO signs of slowing down. He has his annual injuries but Gerald McCoy at 70% health is still the best defender on this defense by far. We'd have a MUCH harder time finding about Gerald McCoy than we would another Ali Marpet, Donovan Smith or Kwon Alexander. And I like all 3 very much.

Same goes with Lavonte, but you could make a case that we have more at LB and could basically swap his deal out for a new one with Kwon. Out of those 2 though, I'd take Lavonte all day. He's more talented, he's a better player and like McCoy hasn't shown signs of slowing down. I think Kwon is good yet he's a bit overrated around here. He should be better in coverage than he is, misses far too many tackles and wipes himself out of plays far too often. He has trouble sifting thru traffic unlike Lavonte, who when he's on racks up on TFLs. And when comparing his play at Mike, I liked Kendall Beckwith more in 2017. And it doesn't matter if YOU wouldn't call Lavonte an All-Pro or not. He is an All-Pro. 2 time All-Pro in fact.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Well, Winston's cap is gonna go up for one. Ali, Donovan, Kwon. Maybe we don't want to get rid of Jackson because he has a pro bowl year. We gotta find cap room somewhere.

Winston's deal can be achieved. He already is scheduled to count $21mil against the cap. If he's given an extension, the actual cap figure for 2019 won't be much more than that.

When discussing Ali, Donovan, and Kwon ask yourself are those players more valuable than the guys you're proposing us to release.

For me it's a hell no when comparing them to McCoy. McCoy is 30 but he has shown ZERO signs of slowing down. He has his annual injuries but Gerald McCoy at 70% health is still the best defender on this defense by far. We'd have a MUCH harder time finding about Gerald McCoy than we would another Ali Marpet, Donovan Smith or Kwon Alexander. And I like all 3 very much.

Same goes with Lavonte, but you could make a case that we have more at LB and could basically swap his deal out for a new one with Kwon. Out of those 2 though, I'd take Lavonte all day. He's more talented, he's a better player and like McCoy hasn't shown signs of slowing down. I think Kwon is good yet he's a bit overrated around here. He should be better in coverage than he is, misses far too many tackles and wipes himself out of plays far too often. He has trouble sifting thru traffic unlike Lavonte, who when he's on racks up on TFLs. And when comparing his play at Mike, I liked Kendall Beckwith more in 2017. And it doesn't matter if YOU wouldn't call Lavonte an All-Pro or not. He is an All-Pro. 2 time All-Pro in fact.

Cheb

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

2nd this
uscbucsfan

Postby Rocker » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Probably the best Bootz post I’ve read. Well done, old chap. Well done.
Rocker

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Well, Winston's cap is gonna go up for one. Ali, Donovan, Kwon. Maybe we don't want to get rid of Jackson because he has a pro bowl year. We gotta find cap room somewhere.

I don't really disagree with any of this. Like I said I don't want to lose them. I just think it's possible that they become cap casualties.

David played like a mad man under Schiano, not so much under Lovie, but has played fine under Smith. He's actually one of my favorite players. He and McCoy. I'm not sure after a year or two from now if he'll be considered more valuable than some of our other players, though.

But as for Kwon, he's not quite up to David, I agree. I think the most valuable thing about him is that he's kind of our vocal leader on defense.
theBKwhopper

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:15 pm

Bootsie making sense? ****, SMOD must be on it's way.
Caradoc

Postby StillCSG » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:52 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I've NEVER said this...

But

I 1000% agree with EVERYTHING Bootz just wrote...
StillCSG

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 am

Wtf is happening up in this place ???

Whoa

Beckwith >>> Kwon
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Wtf is happening up in this place ???

Whoa

Beckwith >>> Kwon

Both players are good. My main bone of contention would be that Kwon isn't that much better than Beckwith to justify using what little cap space we will have next year.

Per overthecap.com, the Bucs are looking at $42 million in cap space next year, which at face value sounds like alot. But Winston is scheduled to become a free agent. I agree that he has his flaws, but he's worth resigning. That's at least $20 million of that available cap space, maybe more. So there goes half your cap space that you had to work with. Consider another $8 million to sign your rookies, and that leaves about total $14 million in cap space. That $42 million just got alot smaller real fast.

Now there are ways to increase that space. Restructing some contracts could be of huge benefit. Cutting or trading DeSean would save $10 million, Gholston almost $4 million.

Kwon, Marpet, and Donovan Smith are all free agents. Good money is that at least one is as good as gone.
Last edited by Cheb on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 am

Cheb wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Wtf is happening up in this place ???

Whoa

Beckwith >>> Kwon

Both players are good. My main bone of contention would be that Kwon isn't that much better than Beckwith to justify using what little cap space we will have next year.

Per overthecap.com, the Bucs are looking at $42 million in cap space next year, which at face value sounds like alot. But Winston is scheduled to become a free agent. I agree that he has his flaws, but he's worth resigning. That's at least $20 million of that available cap space, maybe more. So there goes half your cap space that you had to work with. Consider another $8 million to sign your rookies, and that leaves about total $4 million in cap space. That $42 million just got alot smaller real fast.

Now there are ways to increase that space. Restructing some contracts could be of huge benefit. Cutting or trading DeSean would save $10 million, Gholston almost $4 million.

Kwon, Marpet, and Donovan Smith are all free agents. Good money is that at least one is as good as gone.

Agree , if it’s lavonte OR Kwon , I keep Lavonte because we have Beckwith .
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 am

I will be pleasantly surprised if D-Jax or Sweezy are part of the 2019 Buccaneers, because it will mean they showed a lot more in 2018 than in 2017. But I'm not expected it.

Gholston is on borrowed time. He might not even make it out of THIS camp (though I haven't looked at the cap implications of that yet.) If Will Clarke looks good, OBP is going to have to consider moving on from the worst pass rushing 4-3 end in the league and his contract.

Dotson might be playing his last year. It'll likely depend on what moves we're in a position to make next offseason. Donald Penn was 30 when we moved on too soon. Dotson will be 34 in 2019; that's probably not too soon if you feel good about the next man up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we move on from Kwon after this season. Beckwith's best spot is in the middle. SLBs are easy to find, and we have a few guys on the 53 who could slot in nicely already. Throw in eight missed games in 3 years and a potential 10 game suspension at some point...and then the probably 4th round comp pick we'd likely get...I can see this happening.

Then you take Grimes's contract off the books....

We'll be fine going forward, without cutting or trading any "cornerstone" players.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions